• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScubaDouch3

Ice-Type Lover
Years
First update for my Flying Mono:

Ultimate Flying-Mono: Heart Gold

- Named myself "Harvey" and chose "Cyndaquil"

- Met Mr.Pokemon then beat my Rival and named him "Falcone"

- Went to Dark Cave and caught a female Zubat named "Rouge"

- Cleared Sprout Tower then beat Falkner for the
20px-Zephyr_Badge.png
Zephyr Badge

- Grabbed the Old Rod and caught a male Magikarp called "Garydos"

- Made it through Union Cave and cleared Team Rocket out of Slowpoke Well

- Destroyed Bugsy and his Gym for the
20px-Hive_Badge.png
Hive Badge

- Managed to level grind Garydos into a "Gyarados" on the way to Goldenrod

- Skipped over to the Bug Catching Contest and caught a male Scyther named "Psycho"

- Went back to Whitney's Gym and made her look like the biggest fool, earning me the
20px-Plain_Badge.png
Plain Badge

- Made my way to Ecruteak to beat my Rival and Morty for the
20px-Fog_Badge.png
Fog Badge

- Did the Secretpotion quest to unlock the Safari Zone

- Traveled to the Safari Zone and spent an hour before I caught a male Murkrow named "Itachi"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I guess it's time to go and grab a Natu from the Ruins of Alph now.

Years
Alright, I will do that, thanks!

EDIT: Wait, wait, wait. I have the LeafGreen ROM. Is there a Murky Red equivalent for Leaf Green that still takes away the evolution block?

There is a tool i found that can evolve pokemon in gba games, it's called pokeboxGBA, it kinda works like pokesav for the DS games, pretty neat program.
Don't know if it's okay to post links to other forums and stuff like that but it is easy to find via Google.

EDIT: Oh and i have a question about the Challenge, if i were to play a dragon challenge in lets say sapphire and i wanted a kingdra, would it be okay to trade in a horsea holding a dragon scale, because i just caught a horsea holding one in my "breeding, complete pokedex etc." save in emerald after hours of fishing getting nothing but horsea holding nothing, and thought it would be a fun "starter" in a dragon challenge? Would it be okay if it was holding the dragon scale or should i catch another one with a dragon scale when i get the super rod? and to my knowledye i won't be able to catch dragons before 3rd gym in hoenn is that correct?

Last edited:

lineofdeath

...overuser of the ellipsis...
Years
Pokemon rock mono.
Name quakers
Gender boy.

Grinded and beat fiest gym with servine.
Did every th ing unril
Wellspring.

Caught drilbur.
Beat plasma senseless.

Got to nacrene
Caught tympole
Grinded.
Got 2nd badge
Beat plasme

Got to castelia.
Caught sandile.
Grimded everyone to lv 31 (due to school this took quite a while)
Beat plasme
Beat burgh.

Badges 3 of 8

Team
Taiwan the krokorok lv 31
China the palpitoad lv 31
Japan the excadrill lv 31
Hm buttler lv 20

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
EDIT: Oh and i have a question about the Challenge, if i were to play a dragon challenge in lets say sapphire and i wanted a kingdra, would it be okay to trade in a horsea holding a dragon scale, because i just caught a horsea holding one in my "breeding, complete pokedex etc." save in emerald after hours of fishing getting nothing but horsea holding nothing, and thought it would be a fun "starter" in a dragon challenge? Would it be okay if it was holding the dragon scale or should i catch another one with a dragon scale when i get the super rod? and to my knowledye i won't be able to catch dragons before 3rd gym in hoenn is that correct?
There pretty much isn't any game where a Dragon is available before the 3rd gym, to my knowlege, at least not without a Pokewalker or Dream World. Anyway, that sounds fine in this instance, since there's no real place where a Dragon Scale is just sitting to be found. But wait a reasonable amount of time before evolving, use Seadra for a bit. Give him some love. o 3o

Years
There pretty much isn't any game where a Dragon is available before the 3rd gym, to my knowlege, at least not without a Pokewalker or Dream World. Anyway, that sounds fine in this instance, since there's no real place where a Dragon Scale is just sitting to be found. But wait a reasonable amount of time before evolving, use Seadra for a bit. Give him some love. o 3o

okay Cool i can't get my trading to work right now but i'll try some more and see if i get it to work and start a Dragon Challenge then, probably just a single game challenge because dragon types are so limiting to only a few pokes.

But i would like to start another monotype challenge, cause i'm kinda tired of my other challenges right now and want something else to spice it up, so i want to start a ground type challenge too because there are a lot of cool ground type pokemon.(Damn i love playing monotype challenge, just fun to play, but it is good to have something to change it up a bit)

Username: Febbe
Type: Ground
Challenge: Ultimate

I'll start with emerald because there are so many cool and diverse ground types in that game.

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
Started Emerald for Dark Ultimate

-chose Torchic
-caught Poochyena on Route 101
-caught Seedot on Route 102
-Seedot evolved into Nuzleaf
-defeated Roxanne
-caught Sableye in Granite Cave and Poochyena evolved into Mightyena
-defeated Brawly
-currently training to defeat Wattson

Team:
Mightyena
Lv. 27

Nuzleaf
Lv. 27

Sableye
Lv. 28

HM Slaves:
Torchic
-Cut
-Rock Smash

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Back to my Dragon run.
- Defeated Pryce
- Defeated Team Rocket again
- Caught a Horsea
- Defeated Clair
- Picked up ExtremeSpeed Dratini
- Evolved Horsea to Kingdra
- Defeated Lugia

Current team:
Spoiler:

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
There pretty much isn't any game where a Dragon is available before the 3rd gym, to my knowlege

Just for the record, in all of the Johto games except Crystal you can get a Dratini from the Goldernrod Game Corner. Just sayin'.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Like Huggermugger said, Dratini is available at tha Game Corner in every Johto game except Crystal, but Grotle is also available in Platinum before the third gym as well in the secret Wayward Cave, only in Platinum though.

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
Dark run update
-defeated Wattson
-defeated Flannery
-caught Cacnea on Route 111
-defeated Norman
-caught Carvanha on Route 118 and Corphish in Petalburg City
-caught Absol on Route 120
-defeated Winona
-Carvanha evolved into Sharpedo, Corphish evolved into Crawdaunt, and Cacnea evolved into Cacturne
-defeated Tate & Liza

Team:
Mightyena
Lv. 39

Nuzleaf
Lv.38

Cacturne
Lv. 37

Sharpedo
Lv. 38

Crawdaunt
Lv. 39

Absol
Lv. 38

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Like Huggermugger said, Dratini is available at tha Game Corner in every Johto game except Crystal, but Grotle is also available in Platinum before the third gym as well in the secret Wayward Cave, only in Platinum though.
Yeah, I knew that, it just slipped my mind last night. I was pretty beat. Either way, the point was that there are no dragons before the third gym in Sapphire.

I think you mean Gible, not Grotle. Grotle is a starter. lol

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Water monotype - B2
- Chose Oshawott as a starter
- Did random beginner things that everyone's required to do
- Captured an Azurill that has the ability Huge Power (this is the key here)
- Defeated Cheren
- Spent WAY too many hours Audino hunting
- Defeated Roxie

Current party:
Spoiler:

Years
OKAAAY i have defeated the E4 with my ground team in Emerald. Here is a Recap of the game:

- I started out with Mudkip (1st team member)
- caught a Nincada as a hm slave
- i beat the first three gym leaders only with mudkip/Marshtomp, skipping a lot of trainers from slateport and onwards.
- in the fiery path i caught a Numel.
- after lavaridge i went to the desert to catch baltoy and Trapinch (team completed)
- beat the rest of the game with this team.

Team After E4
Spoiler:

I liked what a powerful combo a firetype pokemon with sunny day and another pokemon with Solarbeam can be, i was underlevelled most of the game actually but in the later parts of the game this combo ended up being quite Effective especially Juan took some serious damage from Claydol's solarbeams, it was only before the E4 i had to grind my team a little before being able to handle them.

Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2015
I did a lot of things I caught four pokemon and got my 4th and 5th gym badges. The pokemon I got was Pluto the sneasel which I evolved Frosty the snover which I evolved and Grace the female snorunt which I evolved and Manny the swinub which is now a piloswine I am now in milstron city

Puppeteer Mask

Hey-Chicka-Bump-Bump!
Years
Just so everyone knows I'm still here doing my Ghost Monotype challenge. Because I've been going on and off for a while, I can't fully remember everything I've done early on. Like my Rainbow Challenge, I'll put up a string of pics to show I've stuck with everything once I've completed the challenge.

I have:

Elevated all my Nincada to Shedinja, discarding the Ninjasks.
Defeated Wattson
Discarded one of my Shedinja.
Brought back Goober the Mudkip for use as an HM slave. Taught it Rock Smash and then Strength.
Thwarted Team Magma's plans at the volcano.
Defeated Flannery after, like, five tries. Taught one of my Shedinja Dig after I think two.
Defeated Dad, got Surf and taught Goober it.
Thwarted Team Aqua at the Weather Institute.

Current Team:

Jimbodini, Level 30 Shedinja
Wonder Guard
Cut
Double Team
Screech
Fury Cutter

Reggie X, Level 30 Shedinja
Wonder Guard
Secret Power
Dig
Fury Cutter
Double Team

Bijou, Level 39 Female Sableye
Keen Eye
Confuse Ray
Faint Attack
Fake Out
Night Shade

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
I have completed Emerald in my Dark Run
the save file deleted itself so the screenshot is all i have left

Punnagg

Advanced Spriter
Years
Username: Punnagg
Type: Poison
Challenge: Single
Game: Leaf Green

nd before this i had completed Bug type challange in leaf green but my name is not put up in champions list
Pokemon-LeafGreen1.png

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2015
- Travelled to Fortree and beat Winona easily
- Caught Tropius as another HM Slave
- Flew to Mauville as I forgot about the fossils in the desert -.-
- Collected the Claw fossil
- Resurrected Anorith (Shrimpy)
- Travelled to Lilycove and beat May, now making my way to Mt. Pyre

Finally decided on what I want my final team to be: Golem, Aggron, Solrock, Armaldo, Rhydon, Relicanth

Team:
Golem (Gollum) Level 40
Slugma (Ember Fudd) Level 28
Lairon (ShinyShiny) Level 35
Solrock (Helios) Level 30
Anorith (Shrimpy) Level 25
and Marshtomp as a HM Slave

Last edited:

Xilfer

Just won't die.
Years
Finished my run! Boo yah! Time for the details.

- So after rematching strong trainers again and again and again, finally managed to get everyone in my team to LVL 60.

- While doing this, I did the whole Spiritomb ritual thing with my friend and caught Spiritomb. Nickname: Creepsta.

- Did the same grinding with Creepsta, eventually getting him up to speed with the rest of the team.

- Went to challenge the E4. Brought many Max Potions, Full Heals and some Full Restores.

- After some trouble with Bertha and Flint, beat the living crap out of Lucian and continued to see Cynthia.

- Lemme tell you, there's a reason Cynthia is the second best champion in the Pokemon series. (Next to Red, of course)

- Finally beat Cynthia with good old Mistress the Honchkrow. Entered the Hall of Fame, yadayadayada.

Final Team:

Spr_4p_430.png

Mistress
Species: Honchkrow
Type: Dark/Flying
Level: 62

Spr_4p_229_m.png

Lucian
Species: Houndoom
Type: Dark/Fire
Level: 61

Spr_4p_452.png

Pinch
Species: Drapion
Type: Poison/Dark
Level: 60

Spr_4p_461_m.png

Sash
Species: Weavile
Type: Dark/Ice
Level: 61

Spr_4p_197.png

Shadows
Species: Umbreon
Type: Dark
Level: 60

Spr_4p_442.png

Creepsta
Species: Spiritomb
Type: Ghost/Dark
Level: 62​

So, basically, I'm done. And I even managed to get a full team! Good job, me! This is also the first time I've managed to beat Platinum, as every other time I got bored. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back