• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[FR] Expanding the Pokedex

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I am coding this into my program right now. I have finished step 2, but when I went to go test, OAK's intro kept crashing. I went through my code and found that the issue was caused by filling the old palette table for sprites with FF. There is a pointer at 0x130fa4 that points to an index 232 bytes in on the table. You only need to change this pointer if you fill the old table with FF.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
I am coding this into my program right now. I have finished step 2, but when I went to go test, OAK's intro kept crashing. I went through my code and found that the issue was caused by filling the old palette table for sprites with FF. There is a pointer at 0x130fa4 that points to an index 232 bytes in on the table. You only need to change this pointer if you fill the old table with FF.

Thanks! That's very handy to know for myself, but doesn't this also mean there are potentially more sprites that use the palette table as well, or is Oak the only one?

Also I found the Item animation table is at 0x45FD54 instead, and the tutor compatibility is at 0x459B7E. No rush as I'm sure people will find it anyway! :)

EDIT: Sorry KK552, it was referencing the nidoranF palette, so this means when you fill your Front sprites you need to repoint the Nidoran sprite right before the palette which is at 0x130FA0 :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
Hmm... I've tried this countless of times, but it seems that I keep repointing something wrong. And I've even gotten help from GoGo (thanks) but for some reason it just doesn't want to work! It would be great if someone could make a patch so that there are 493 slots, thanks. c:

karatekid552

Years
Hmm... I've tried this countless of times, but it seems that I keep repointing something wrong. And I've even gotten help from GoGo (thanks) but for some reason it just doesn't want to work! It would be great if someone could make a patch so that there are 493 slots, thanks. c:

Thanks for that super descriptive description of your issue. What isn't working?

BTW, my newest program supports this. So a patch won't be needed. I'm planning a release in a few days.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
Thanks for that super descriptive description of your issue. What isn't working?

BTW, my newest program supports this. So a patch won't be needed. I'm planning a release in a few days.
Hehe, no problem. I found out I was doing something very wrong, so I've corrected that. c:

Ah, sweet! I can't wait to test it out, been hearing a lot about it :3

Years
  • Age 64
  • Seen Jul 3, 2014
I know you said you wouldn't explain the hex editing basics but can you post a link to some where i could learn hex editing, also how do you install JPAN's hack?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
I know you said you wouldn't explain the hex editing basics but can you post a link to some where i could learn hex editing, also how do you install JPAN's hack?

Hex editing is as easy as typing numbers.. :D
And JPAN's hacked engine is as easy as applying the patch then using the tool to customize.

Years
  • Age 64
  • Seen Jul 3, 2014
How do i know what numbers to type and where to type them, also i downloaded goldfinger but what hex editor would you recommend?
Thanks

Years
  • Age 64
  • Seen Jul 3, 2014
Sorry for being annoying but how do i patch the hack onto fire red?
oh, and thank you for all the help.

Years
  • Age 64
  • Seen Jul 3, 2014
so i only need to patch it?

You were doing the 649 patch right, how do i download it to try it out?

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
Sorry for being annoying but how do i patch the hack onto fire red?
oh, and thank you for all the help.

To patch the hacked engine onto FireRed, download a patching tool like LunarIPS or SmartIPS, then use them to apply the patch to the rom. (the method of applying the patch using a program like that might vary, I'm not sure really.)
Or download JPAN's hack applier tool and use it to apply all the hacks (or whatever ones you want to apply) onto a rom.
I hope that helps. ^^

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 24, 2014
Good tutorial but how to you install the save_block_recycle hack to fire red?
I did hex work before and programming but i don't get it.
Im using Hex Workshop as a hex editor.
EDIT:
Ok i read the above posts but i cant find JPAN's hack applier tool and Lunar and smart IPS need a ips file to work!
EDIT AGAIN:
Ok i found JPAN's applier tool but when i apply the patches my maps are messed up!!
Is there An other way of doing this? And sorry that im kind of annoying right now.

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
EDIT:
Ok i read the above posts but i cant find JPAN's hack applier tool and Lunar and smart IPS need a ips file to work!
EDIT AGAIN:
Ok i found JPAN's applier tool but when i apply the patches my maps are messed up!!
Is there An other way of doing this? And sorry that im kind of annoying right now.

JPAN has a save block hack and then a hacked engine. He has two hacks. You need the save block hack.

GoGoJJTech

Years
EDIT:
EDIT AGAIN:

http://www.romhackersonline.com/social/downloads/view/jpan-039-s-save-block-patch/
A link is better for those who want to download it ;D

GOLDstandard

Eclectic
Years
Jpan's save block hack for the expanded seen/caught flags doesn't break GBA flashcart compatibility right?

Oh, and congrats Doesn't! I'm very happy to see that the expanded pokedex will be a reality. :)

GoGoJJTech

Years
Jpan's save block hack for the expanded seen/caught flags doesn't break GBA flashcart compatibility right?

Oh, and congrats Doesn't! I'm very happy to see that the expanded pokedex will be a reality. :)

Yes, it has been tested on real hardware. :D

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 25, 2017
Very nice tutorial. Might give it a try someday when I work up the courage! LOL

I'm surprised someone hasn't created a tool for this yet though, that does all this for us, as well as a tool fort adding extra Pokémon and types to the games so we don't have to go through and fiddle with all the hex code manually ourselves.

Would be nice to have a tool where we can just import an image for the new type, define a name, type weaknesses and strengths, and everything else a type needs, and then the tool to auto-find free space in the rom and add the newly made type(s) in.

Same for adding Pokémon and expanding the Pokédex.

Or would such tools be too difficult to make?

Don't pay any attention to me LOL I'm just dreaming aloud {XD}

Back