• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What annoyed you the most in R/B/Y

MarioManH

top kek
Years
I made a thread exactly like this a long time ago and it lasted for about 3 years to my own surprise. I thought I would resurrect this old thread because of the recent VC release of R/B/Y which would mean new players!

So I ask you all, what annoyed you the most in these games?

For me, I actually have two things.

1. Rock Tunnel - My God, this place was the worst. I would be blasting through the game and forget to take Flash. Before I go on, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE FLASH! Don't punish yourself, just get flash from the NPC on Route 2. It will make your life a hell of a lot easier. B-b-but what are you talking about MMH?!?! Why would I really need flash?? Well thanks for asking. You won't be able to see almost anything if you enter without Flash, and you will hit so many walls and walk into so many unexpected trainers that it's ridiculous. . Rock Tunnel was the bane of my Gen 1 days, and luckily enough I remembered to grab the HM on my way through Route 2 (on the VC Release). I suggest you guys go back and do the same if you haven't hit Rock Tunnel yet.

2. Glitch City- If you don't know what Glitch City is, go read up on what it is and how to do it. Now, I broke my Yellow version's file multiple times with Glitch City as a kid. I had many successes doing it. but there were a few occasions where it would just mess up and destroy my game. It's primarily my own fault because I initiated the glitch and knew the risks, but it was still a pain to deal with if it did go wrong.

Last edited:

SonOfASubmariner

Not the only one with an avatar R/B Golbat related
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 19, 2017
Uh... Dark Cave? Isn't that in G/S/C and HG/SS? I guess you mean Rock Tunnel instead, huh.

Anyways, I got two.

Wrap, Clamp, Fire Spin, and Bind being used by an enemy with a higher Speed stat.
If the enemy doesn't miss, these four moves would keep going until your Pokemon faints or you switch it out.

Waking up from SLP uses up a turn
Hope that the enemy misses with Sleep Powder, Hypnosis, Sing, or Lovely Kiss afterwards! Or that the enemy doesn't use Spore afterwards!

Bay

Years
I too got annoyed with Rock Tunnel as I remember getting lost even with Flash. Speaking of Flash, that move being a HM was even more frustrating because it takes one move slot and I won't be able to delete it (don't think there was a move deleter in the first gen games).

MarioManH

top kek
Years
Uh... Dark Cave? Isn't that in G/S/C and HG/SS? I guess you mean Rock Tunnel instead, huh.

Anyways, I got two.

Wrap, Clamp, Fire Spin, and Bind being used by an enemy with a higher Speed stat.
If the enemy doesn't miss, these four moves would keep going until your Pokemon faints or you switch it out.

Waking up from SLP uses up a turn
Hope that the enemy misses with Sleep Powder, Hypnosis, Sing, or Lovely Kiss afterwards! Or that the enemy doesn't use Spore afterwards!

Haha thanks, been running on coffee trying to get mid term papers done. PokeCommunity has been the focus of my break sessions the past weekend :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
1. I'll expand your Glitch City comment to include any glitch that can permanently mess up your file. I never risked doing Glitch City on a cartridge for fear of something going wrong, but I saw enough data corruption through the use of other glitches (mainly friends') that I was excited to see the days of glitches pass when Gold and Silver came out. The glitches hold a lot of nostalgic value now, but in the days where internet information was not as readily available, it was easy to get misinformation (especially from classmates) and screw up a save file. Even the Hall of Fame and graphical glitches from Missingno. and the like were a bit more than I would have liked, especially as I had no idea what caused them. I think part of what made it worse was that without sufficient information, I couldn't tell why my friend's over-glitched game got deleted, while mine simply had a messed up Hall of Fame (and some graphical glitches if I caught Missingno). Thus, I was always afraid of accidentally producing a disastrous result.

2. Seafoam Islands. I made the mistake of saving in there without an Escape Rope or HM users besides a Surfer when I was younger, and I spent more time than I would have liked trying to run down my Blastoise's PP and KO myself. I did find the exit before that happened, and it doesn't seem so daunting now, but as a result, I've never liked that place.

3. Lack of move descriptions. Moves offered to me often got stronger as I leveled up, but not always, and there was no way to know what a move was without trying it. (Mainly a pain in Gold, where I had to redo the Whitney fight when I found out what my starter's newly-learned Scary Face did, but also a pain in Red). Worse in Red with HMs, though, because there was no move deleter.

Honorable mentions: Rock Tunnel, Victory Road, S.S. Anne leaves and never returns unless you glitch by the guy on the dock (doesn't really matter, but it did mean that it took a lot more effort to see the truck), unobtainable Mew without glitching, no trainers to re-battle besides the Elite Four.

That being said, I still love RBY. Every game has flaws.

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
The biggest one had to be how broken Wrap moves were. Especially on a speedy Pokemon like Dragonite.

Also how OP Psychic Pokemon were. Literally no weaknesses, because, let's be honest, Bug Types were atrocious in Generation I and had nothing in terms of decent offensive moves.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
The Pokemon don't have any good moves. Like, Venomoth don't have a poison or bug move, he looks like a psychic type with his moveset. Vileplume looks good but the movepool is aweful!! Same for many more Pokemon.. It's very hard to play UU in these games.... and I really likes UU...

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
1. Not being able to have Repels going through Mt. Moon or whatever it's called so you have to deal with a Zubat or Geodude every 5 steps.

2. OP Psychic Pokemon.. Seriously, Sabrina's Alakazam is a nightmare if your Pokemon aren't like level 50 she'll just sweep you with it's ridiculous Special and Speed stat and no weakness.

3. A 20 (I think) item capacity. It irritated me to no end when I had a ton of items I needed and I couldn't pick something up without either using it for no reason or going to the nearest Pokemon center to deposit stuff I need.

4. Karate Chop.. Okay who's idea was it to name a fighting move Karate Chop and it not be a fighting type move but it's given to basically every fighting type Pokemon except for Poliwrath and the Hitmo's? If you ask me it makes no sense at all. Also Comet Punch for Hitmonchan.. Why? Basically makes Fighting Pokemon useless except for Hitmonlee unless you want to obliterate yourself with Submission..

5. Bind, wrap, clamp, etc. Don't even get me started.

6. Aerodactyl not being able to learn Rock Slide or any rock move for that matter.. An ancient Pokemon that's rock type but can't learn Rock moves?

That's all I can really think of at the moment.. even with all the flaws it's still a really fun game. Just wish they would of used a little more common sense when making the first gen.

Guest123_x1

What annoyed me the most in Generation I is the 20-slot single-pocketed Item Bag. I always hated that you'd collect so many items that you'd have to keep going to the PC and deposit unused items, or sell or dispose of them at some point as well, as even the PC item storage was limited in capacity.

Other things I don't like about this generation:
*The fact that you had to manually switch boxes before the current one became full, and on top of that, having to save every time you did so.
*Trapping moves making it completely impossible for you to attack, oftentimes sealing your fate if you were slower than your opponent since trainers would constantly spam this move if they had it (especially in the Celadon Gym).

MrFayt

Pokemon Trainer
Years
I do not know if this can be a topic all on its own but in the new releases of R/B/Y they have patched some glitches like the underflow, but you can even use underflow cause the game will not allow you to catch level 1 pokemon. It will just say "You missed the pokemon!" That's the only thing I hate about the new release but it goes to show they do not want glitched pokemon.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I do not know if this can be a topic all on its own but in the new releases of R/B/Y they have patched some glitches like the underflow, but you can even use underflow cause the game will not allow you to catch level 1 pokemon. It will just say "You missed the pokemon!" That's the only thing I hate about the new release but it goes to show they do not want glitched pokemon.

What are you talking about? None of the glitches were patched, the underflow glitch still works, its just that only certain Pokemon can actually activate it(those with a medium-slow growth rate), which has always been a thing even in the original cartridge versions. And the "You missed the Pokemon" effect happens when you throw a pokeball at a pokemon with a very low chance to catch them in 1st gen, weakening them and inflicting them with a status effect fixes that. Nothing was changed, I can confirm the exact same things you describe happen in the original releases.

MarioManH

top kek
Years
What are you talking about? None of the glitches were patched, the underflow glitch still works, its just that only certain Pokemon can actually activate it(those with a medium-slow growth rate), which has always been a thing even in the original cartridge versions. And the "You missed the Pokemon" effect happens when you throw a pokeball at a pokemon with a very low chance to catch them in 1st gen, weakening them and inflicting them with a status effect fixes that. Nothing was changed, I can confirm the exact same things you describe happen in the original releases.

Yeah this guy is on the money. I've been glitching the life out of my Yellow VC since it's release (Lvl 100 Nidoking and Gengar when I reach Pewter :) ).

On a side note it's really annoying how trying to Item Clone via MissingNo encounter with the Mew Glitch crashes most of the time. I've attempted it 32 times as of now with each time having it crash my game.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
On a side note it's really annoying how trying to Item Clone via MissingNo encounter with the Mew Glitch crashes most of the time. I've attempted it 32 times as of now with each time having it crash my game.

I would recommend getting a pokemon with a high enough special to get the Aerodactyl fossil, Kabutops fossil, or Ghost MissingNO. and having a ditto transform into them in Cinnabar Mansion for the Mew Glitch. The crash is caused primarily due to a failure to load proper sprite data, and since these three have sprites they work just fine.

Years
I would have gone with the item problem, but that's mainly because I never knew you could deposit key items. The system still isn't perfect, but it certainly isn't as bad as I thought it was.

Nothing else really annoys me too much. The minor annoyances which are the worst are probably certain pokémon only being available with dumb nicknames (Dux the Farfetch'd, Lola the Jynx) or the exp.all not being as useful as the exp share (the normal exp share not the OP Gen VI one).

Years
The mid-game Gym Leaders were really boring. Fairly easy, but boring. This really ends up making the weirdly located Seafoam Islands the only promise of something interesting in the later-game.

Other than that, at least it was mostly fairly staid and boring in aesthetic, which is appealing. However, nothing Gym Leaders and so on did not help with this, and were only barely incorporated coherently.

poop face

currently playing crystal ♡
Years
I never realized how important having the EXP bar was until I replayed Yellow.
I miss it so much lol

Also, is it just me or does RBY have a real high encounter rate? It's a bit annoying when you don't have repels and you're just trying to get through something quickly.

Back