• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

June 2017 usage stats/tier shifts

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
So they finally got the chance to update the usage statistics for the Sun/Moon metagame: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/usage-based-tier-updates-for-june.3606072/

The changes listed are:

Mew moved from UU to OU
Beedrill-Mega moved from OU to UU
Sceptile-Mega moved from OU to UU
Mamoswine moved from OU to UU
Muk-Alola moved from OU to UU
Clefable moved from UU to OU
Salamence moved from OU to BL
Kyurem-Black moved from BL to OU
Steelix-Mega moved from OU to UU
Buzzwole moved from OU to UU
Pidgeot-Mega moved from OU to UU
Crawdaunt moved from BL2 to UU
Houndoom-Mega moved from OU to UU
Smeargle moved from NU to OU
Keldeo moved from UU to OU
Bisharp moved from UU to OU
Pelipper moved from OU to UU
Xurkitree moved from OU to UU
Nidoqueen moved from NU to UU
Audino-Mega moved from OU to UU
Gengar moved from UU to OU
Swampert-Mega moved from OU to UU

Some of these are expected, some a bit surprising.
Thoughts?

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
In terms of those who dropped a tier, the most surprising for me is Pelipper. With the introduction of M-Swampert, I would've thought usage would stay the same if not go up. Not to mention I typically saw a Pelipper fairly often in matches I played but alas. I for one am happy with it, maybe I'll see less rain teams now :)

For those who moved up a tier, Smeargle is not exactly surprising but notable. Its a great spore, rocks and webs user but I never thought it would reach OU status. Granted I am less familiar with previous gens so I don't know where it ended up in ORAS, BW etc...

I expect that Koko, Fini, Ferro and other grass types could find even more usage, especially as leads in Fini and Koko's cases (Ferro already being a common lead), to counteract the common Spore set that Smeargle runs, at least its common in my experience. Rapid Spinners and Defoggers become even more important with that painter running around now as well.

Interesting to see A-Muk drop a tier since it pretty much checks, if not counters, each of the Tapus. Maybe even more Magearna and M-Mawile now. Mew could be used more too due to its great bulk and stall ability

Its great to see Gengar move back up to OU where it belongs. Glad to see people realize its new ability doesn't hinder it as much as what was originally thought by the majority. That ability can really turn the tide of match when used successfully, especially on choice locked users.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

Really confused as to why Smeargle is seeing enough usage to rise to OU. Z move gimmicks?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
In terms of those who dropped a tier, the most surprising for me is Pelipper. With the introduction of M-Swampert, I would've thought usage would stay the same if not go up. Not to mention I typically saw a Pelipper fairly often in matches I played but alas. I for one am happy with it, maybe I'll see less rain teams now :)
It's accounting for around 2 days of M Swampert usage out of three months, so most of the usage was from before Pert's release. I think Pelipper and maybe Swampert will rise again in the next tier updates.
Really confused as to why Smeargle is seeing enough usage to rise to OU. Z move gimmicks?
Sticky web hyper offense is very popular right now. I assume it's a big reason why Bisharp rose as well.

Anyway, most of the OU stuff is predictable aside from Pelipper's drop. I was a little surprised to see Kyurem-B rise at first, but after thinking about, M Metagross leaving does benefit it a lot. Nice to see Clefable, Keldeo, Gengar, etc. all back in OU too.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
It's accounting for around 2 days of M Swampert usage out of three months, so most of the usage was from before Pert's release. I think Pelipper and maybe Swampert will rise again in the next tier updates.

That's true, I didn't think about how many days the tier update included M-Swampert in. I wouldn't be surprised either if the two make their way back to OU either as Rain has asserted its dominance as the premier weather this generation and M-Swampert can cause a lot of problems with grass being its only true weakness yet it does have grass coverage with Ice Punch. Sounds like an OU mon to me, even with some reliance on a rain setter.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 23, 2020
The reason Smeargle rose is 100% because of njnp. Sticky Webs HO was out of control on the ladder, and it was even seeing a little bit of use in tournaments.

UU is actually ridiculous now. SubPunch Buzzwole works like no other and there are so many monsters down there still. Alolan Muk doesn't have to worry about Duggy and Zygarde down there, it basically spams knock off except for against Cobalion and Terrakion.

I'm expecting more drastic changes in the future, as we keep getting the last megas and everything begins to settle down a bit more.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 8, 2024
Nothing in here is totally shocking, other than perhaps Smeargle. I know that Webs HO is really popular right now but I've always preferred a more balanced playstyle with webs alongside Shuckle. After Smeargle has set Webs (and maybe SR) and used Spore, it is pretty much deadweight. While the same can be said about Shuckle, Shuckle at least has the bulk to set up hazards more than once in a match, and can stay in and annoy foes with some combination of Toxic, Knock Off and Encore.

None of the Megas are surprising, besides maybe Bird Jesus, which I thought might see some usage just because it's been a while lol. We can easily expect Mega Audino to drop all the way to NU in time, and I have a feeling Mega Steelix will drop again (though the chances of it getting banned from RU again are decent imo). Nidoqueen isn't surprising, but I feel she was just too much for RU. Hopefully Heracross will either rise to UU or be banned.

No surprise with Mamoswine, Salamence, Buzzwole or Xurkitree. All incredibly underwhelming in OU. Pelipper is a surprise to some, though I always felt its primary draw in the early metagame was countering Buzzwole and Pheromosa, considering the one-dimensional nature of most rain sweepers that allows many of them to be shut down by common Pokemon in the metagame. While Swampert could see Pelipper back to OU, it won't last, and Pelipper will likely join Politoed in PU eventually due to the Drizzle ban (or it could spend some time in NU like last gen; it is actually a decent check for Fighting and Bug types).

Clefable, Mew, Gengar, Keldeo and Bisharp are expected. It was only a matter of time. They are all excellent Pokemon, just needed to wait out the early phases of the metagame.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
Gengar is back again in OU, marking the only Pokemon to have stayed there since Gen I. I like this.

Also, surprised to see two UBs drop.

Back