• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen D/P Infernape or Rapidash?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Infernape. Since I used Rapidash in HeartGold, I wasn't about to bother using it in Pokemon Pearl, so, yeah. Besides, Infernape is a 3-stage Pokemon line, Rapidash is only a 2-stage, and Rapidash is only a pure Fire type. So, yeah.

Years
I never really gave Rapidash any thought because there's not a whole lot it can do (if anything?) that Infernape can't do better.

Since I never used either (I started with Torterra), I found it wiser to slap Fire Blast on something that can learn it like Garchomp. I think I had a Magmortar at some point as well, but that was much later on.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i don't like infernape but i know i used it a hell of a lot more times than rapidash. every time i try to give rapidash a chance, it underperforms horribly. i guess my problem is that i've only used it in gen IV and older when it doesn't have that great of a movepool. it's horribly boring in older games. they gave it more to play with in later entries it looks like, but idk how much that helps it. either way, if i want a fire type, i stick to infernape.

or i play platinum and use magmortar.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
I'm not a fan of slamming normal typing on everything but I feel like Rapidash would have made for a better Normal/Fire type than anything. Would have made it a bit more useful in D/P, Although Sunny Day, Flare Blitz, Solarbeam and a filler move made for a decent attacking selection. Going physical with Flare Blitz, Bounce, Iron Tail and Return would also do alright.. Never saw a point of why it could learn Poison Jab when its Fire moves serve better to deal with Grass types, especially as most have a poison secondary typing.

Years
There really isn't a need for Fire-type in Sinnoh, but if I had to choose I pick Infernape. It has better typing and moveset and has in my opinion better design. But I would still play Platinum and get Magmortar.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
It seems as though most people's go to in Platinum is Magmortar, I have used it a few times but honestly didn't like it much. I much prefered to use Houndoom considering it tore through 2 of the elite four.

Years
this is one of my complaints with the sinnoh games were the obvious lack of fire types. its also why i almost always pick infernape as my starter. i even hunted for a shiny chimchar and I got it only after less than 300 SRs haha

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Never used Rapidash in D/P, and in Platinum you get more options so I haven't used it there either. I kind of have been wanting to give it a try though, so maybe in some playthrough of one of the other games

Still don't know what they were thinking, making a Fire type Elite 4 member when they put in literally only 2 Fire type lines in the game

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Never used Rapidash in D/P, and in Platinum you get more options so I haven't used it there either. I kind of have been wanting to give it a try though, so maybe in some playthrough of one of the other games

Still don't know what they were thinking, making a Fire type Elite 4 member when they put in literally only 2 Fire type lines in the game

Flint's team is just an absolute mess, It's worse than the Pheobe and Glacia in gen 3 having duplicates.. Just a complete lack of his type makes no sense. While I've always wanted an Elite Four to have different pokemon and not use monotypes, This obviously isn't logical because of his persona and talk of using fire types.

Back