Advertiser Content

DJ Octoling

The Fan that's learning to program

Female
Seen March 6th, 2019
Posted March 6th, 2019
14 posts
136 Days
So... Yeah. I just joined the community and I want to make 2 Pokémon fangames, so what? (Who am I blowing up at...?) Anyways, I've ever been interested to make a fan game, but there are two problems with me: 1, I don't know a thing about programming aside using RPG's interface or looking at a tutorial like I did for a platformer which died because my computer was so nice to break in that moment; 2, I have either two much stuff to do that I put it as secondary or whenever I start I get a bit bred after half an hour or so.
So I'm looking for people with enough patience and free time to apply to one of the two games. So... "Stuff" I need for the game:
1-Programmers, or anyone who has a slight clue on how to script in RPG outside the nice and easy.
2-Artists, I WON'T do all the art by myself for two things: One, I lack of time and patience to decorate pixel by pixel; two, the last thing I ever expected myself to say is that I suck at Pixel-art, but it's true...Or at least I think so, and I don't want crappy stuff in a game that could be a nice one at that.
3-Uh... Someone that will make the Soundtrack... Or someones, because let's say it all, I haven't gone more far than transcripting a music score into a MIDI and it sucked... much.
4-And only if you want, co-writers, I have valued one thing over this whole game-making thing have been my ideas and writing skills which are still improving, so, I either need people to value my writing skills to see if I can do better, or people to help me with minor plot issues and stuff.
And... I think that's it... If you're interested, e-mail to djoctoling@gmail.com and say which part are you interested at, for example,
"Hi DJ! I'm interested on programming Pokémon PARADISE."
Or something like that, and I'll be giving you details you might need such as the story behind this.
Oh! I absolutely forgot that I might need someone who knows how to make a website aside Google and Wix for free that actually has a nice name and custom UI for the games!
Please, read the reply since I forgot I could edit this before you go on criticism about my own self and all the "You can't decide" thing.

DJ Octoling

Female
Seen March 6th, 2019
Posted March 6th, 2019
14 posts
136 Days
Okay, fine, it's just I was quite rushed writing that because I was going out, but really, now that I've thought of it harder, I do think I can choose one over the other, and the fact I'm easily bored... Well, I won't deny it, and it's mainly because of school and myself wanting new stuff. And sometimes I start doing it before I do my homework and then I start thinking, "shouldn't I be doing my homework?" and leave that for later. Another reason is because I'm keen of doing so much in such little time that when I started to make the sprite I was surprised of how long it took. Plus, I had a computer that actually lost my work in it twice and then, Nintendo shut down Essentials... One thing I'm never bored at is writing. I have thought of becoming writer but... It's not on my professional interests right now, I see it as a hobby. I also don't get bored of doodling, but... Let's just say the drawings almost never get color. So, the project I've decided is the one that rooted before the other: PARADISE. Danger! Major plot spoilers ahead! Only read if you're really thinking to join someone who has lots of homework and they only think for this project they're only good at writing and such. I may also be able to provide sketches since my main hobby during free time aside of writing is wasting paper on doodling people and others.
Spoiler:
And... At first I was quite reluctant of showing much info, but for the rest of the day I started regretting it. So here it goes:
As long as I have worked, events take place in two regions: Paradise and Raciror. A girl or boy from Raciror, presumably between ten and fourteen is about to receive her first Pokémon. The default character I thought as base is an ocean blue-haired girl called Melody. For as long as I've worked in the main story profile, she receives the first Pokémon from a newly formed Professor called Isaac. You start off by the set of Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur, being the last the default pick. As usual, the player must travel through the whole region to tackle on the eight Gyms and earn all eight medals to beat the league. This will be repeated twice, one for Raciror's league and the other for Paradise. But a certain series of events slow down this period. There's an evil team scheming something that will put the Universe at risk. Certain series of events bring into a multi-versal breakdown where the young girl finds herself dealing with a new Pokémon class: The Reverso Species. According to the investigations, they're Pokémon that come from a parallel universe. Team "Paradise" will be the main users of these kind. Those Pokémon are basically the exact opposite to their usual selves. For example: Charmander would be a Water type, Bulbasaur a Fire type and Squirtle a Grass type. The Team, already referred as Team Paradise previously, counts with different leaders, all using different types of Pokémon. One of them, the most powerful one is curiously similar to the second Professor you'll find: Gelius Dual Eye an Ice-type main who doesn't even bother you with the Pokédex unless you insist on doing so. Or, to be more specific, he does bother you with the Pokédex, but only in the Reverso module, since it's a completely new species. During your journey through both regions, you'll have to save the Universe by stopping Team Paradise from capturing all the legendary Pokémon. Their goal is remodel the whole Multiverse using Arceus powers, but to acquire that they'll need the power of all legendary Pokémon that roam in both regions to summon the God of Pokémon. great danger looms even to Paradise's Elite Four and Champions, who are said to be off the record with their Pokémon level. The champion herself has a level 100 Pokémon in her team.
The jobs are the same as above, but you'll not have to concrete the game anymore.

mgriffin

Online now
Posted 20 Hours Ago
519 posts
5.2 Years
Great! Now we're getting somewhere.

You say you're a doodler and a writer, do you have any links to examples of your work, like a Deviantart profile, or a website where we can read your short stories?
I think you should make the art-style of your game have a "sketch" feel to it so that you don't feel you have to recruit an artist.
I worry about the quality of your writing because your posts above are very rambling and quite difficult to understand in parts. Being able to see other things you've written would help soothe my fears.

Reversed Pokémon is a cool idea! Do you have other ideas for species, or types? Will you add in reversed moves too?

DJ Octoling

Female
Seen March 6th, 2019
Posted March 6th, 2019
14 posts
136 Days
Well, maybe the fact it's difficult to understand is because English isn't my native language, though I think I speak it better than Spanish and I have issues with explaining things in a simple way. Your idea's interesting about the doodling thing and all and maybe the best reference you can have is the few random stuff I started in Wattpad problem is, one features a chapter I didn't exactly like how I wrote it and the other one's in Spanish. The rest I'm quite reluctant to share with people first, because I have a friend who started a work and it's a side story thing which has developed a life for itself and I wouldn't like to steal her idea. The other I could quite shar it, but again, it's in Spanish. And I don't have a way of showing you my doodles and sketches because they're mostly on paper and I don't really know if I should use the laptop's webcam to pass it like that and my digital artwork was lost because my computer got itself broken one day and I borrowed one from a family member. And as for the Reverso Species moves you really gave me quite an idea, but I'll have to work on it far more than the reversed Pokémon. I had an idea of calling another kind Parallel Pokémon, nut I kind of thought that the Reverso species already was one, so maybe, in more advanced history, aside from reversed versions we'll get to see, for example, an Earth type Deerling or an Electric type Magikarp...? having the idea of how would Pokémon have evolved if they lived in a different enviroment. As for new types, I really hadn't thought about it because I already had issues remembering how the usual types worked against each other and it would be weird for me to make another column on the Types Table, but I'll think about that.

mgriffin

Online now
Posted 20 Hours Ago
519 posts
5.2 Years
I think you speak English well, but you need to try to use periods and paragraphs more frequently. It's not the words that are difficult, it's the way you present your ideas. I said rambling because it feels like you type things as they come to mind and never go back to edit your words.

In any case, I think I've come across as combative. But I'm not trying to rant at you! I'd love to see you succeed and I'm just trying to explain what steps I think you could take to have the best chance of recruiting someone. It's perfectly fine that you can't show things you've worked on, but I hope you understand that there's lots of projects out there and it takes a lot of faith for someone to give up on their own idea and come do yours instead.

In your first post you said:
Programmers, or anyone who has a slight clue on how to script in RPG outside the nice and easy.
Does this mean that you have worked on doing simple stuff, and could show that demo off?
Maybe you could pick the most interesting part of your story and turn that into a playable demo?

Also, I was genuinely interested to hear your answers to my questions about Reverso species.

DJ Octoling

Female
Seen March 6th, 2019
Posted March 6th, 2019
14 posts
136 Days
About the last part of your last repply, I forgot to answer at first, but I edited that later...
And you're not the first person who says tha I forget to write paragraphs, in fact, I usually forget them at essays. It's also true I don't usually look at what I'm writing and all, it's because I'm the I have an organized chaos kind of person.
You spoke about making a demo or something... Thing is I don't know about scripting and the sprite work is going to take a while too... But I'll try and see how far I can make the demo. I think in the demo I could show the first events of every Pokémon game, the intro, the starter and maybe the first segment of the adventure, but I don't know if I can get that far... And I don't think with my abilities I could get with the first encounter with Team Paradise, to say the least. The story mode I have thought is pretty big, but I'll try to work on a brief summary of the beginning or something like that.
Also, I tried organizing my ideas to speak in this one, but my brain's so random I think I need someone to tell me what and where should I improve about the story mode in a document I'm working on as "Developement Sheet" where I'll put all needed assets scripting and events alongside the already mentioned story mode.

mgriffin

Online now
Posted 20 Hours Ago
519 posts
5.2 Years
Ah! I missed your edit. Thanks for answering! I love the idea of seeing how Pokémon might adapt to different environments. I liked the concept Alolan forms, even if some of the designs were a bit silly!

I do think it would be worth investing the time to try and edit your thoughts to be clearer to the reader. Nobody is born able to write clearly, it's one of those skills you can only develop through practice. Organized chaos is a fine way to work on your own—but speaking for myself—I would find it too frustrating to work with someone where it takes effort to understand them.

On the topic of a demo, my opinion is that you should start with the most exciting and unique part of your story. I think the purpose of the demo is to get people interested in your game, so I think makes sense to skip past the same old stories that we've all seen a thousand times before and focus on one of the climaxes that no other project will feature. You don't have to build things in the order the player will experience them.

That's not to say that you can't or shouldn't have 8 gyms, etc etc, just that my imagination can probably fill in those blanks pretty easily, whereas there's a whole load of ways that Reverso species and parallel universes could work.

DJ Octoling

Female
Seen March 6th, 2019
Posted March 6th, 2019
14 posts
136 Days
I had an event in mind though, now that you talk about starting in medias res. There's a certain moment of the journey in PAradise's region where the player has to face a deadly duo of Team Paradise with an unknown person. Maybe I could make it like OR/AS demo and do it there, but that would mean literally re-create a whole dozen of Pokémon as parallel. And changing the set of Pokémon Essentials that way, I may need help...

Decibel575

#TEAMSOBBLE

Male
Tasmania, Australia
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
155 posts
287 Days
I would love to help. but unfortunately I don't have RPGMaker XP, or whatever one works with Poke Essentials. I used to, but I ended up losing it and can't currently buy it again. All I can currently do is grammar check and proof reading if you are going to be in charge of writing. Sorry

I could probably help with sound design if you give me a basic theme to work on. Like what would you like in a soundtrack

DJ Octoling

Female
Seen March 6th, 2019
Posted March 6th, 2019
14 posts
136 Days
Hey, about RPG Maker XP, I think you can recover it by inserting your e-mail and password you used when purchasing.
Also, I would love to have someone checking if what I write makes sense, and, I wouldn't mind if you help with some of the story, I haven't made a whole story by now, but many of the important events are made.
And about the soundtrack thing, I was thinking of remixing or reusing Pokémon and other games' OST stuff so if you'd like to volunteer, you're more than welcome Decibel575!
I'm also trying to work on a beta demo thing. I started to do so yesterday and by now I have the default girl graphics edited, a Pokémon and mapping. It took me some tutorial videos, though, so the help thing I think it's becoming necessary to explode the Essentials copy as much as possible that's another reason that makes me think that if you do want to work with me, you're welcome in the "team".
P.S.: Also, Essentials in English is down, so I'm using the 16.something in Spanish to make the Demo. I've got a pure copy of it in case you need to download it if you want to join-

Decibel575

#TEAMSOBBLE

Male
Tasmania, Australia
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
155 posts
287 Days
I'm pretty sure I still have the Pokemon essentials for English if you need it. I didn't think there was any difference between languages though. While I was thinking of starting up a youtube channel, I would be happy to help with this project because I still need to buy a microphone and other things necessary

Thing is, I lost it when I needed a new computer, and I forgot my steam details.. :/

Decibel575

#TEAMSOBBLE

Male
Tasmania, Australia
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
155 posts
287 Days
I know there's no difference between them but I still have some limitations upon translating stuff from Spanish to English.
Would you like me to see if I still have it?
And sure. What soundtrack would you like me to try first? Any specific type of feel you want for it?

Vendily

Female
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 4 Hours Ago
894 posts
3.9 Years
[getting your attention]
[getting your attention]
Due to the fact that Pokemon Essentials and its associated wiki have been taken down, providing downloads of Pokemon Essentials on Pokecommunity is not allowed.
Linking to the new wiki is fine, but no download links on PC.

DJ Octoling

Female
Seen March 6th, 2019
Posted March 6th, 2019
14 posts
136 Days
Oh, don't worry, I can always share what I wrote in a document and send it to you or someone to check if I wrote right, or someone can check if what I write is right before copying it down on the game or something.
And about the themes... How about Johto Gym leader/Elite Four theme in an eerie way or something for a mysterious and cloaked stranger?

Decibel575

#TEAMSOBBLE

Male
Tasmania, Australia
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
155 posts
287 Days
Due to the fact that Pokemon Essentials and its associated wiki have been taken down, providing downloads of Pokemon Essentials on Pokecommunity is not allowed.
Linking to the new wiki is fine, but no download links on PC.
Ahh, alright then. Thank you for telling me. I didn't want to cause trouble

Oh, don't worry, I can always share what I wrote in a document and send it to you or someone to check if I wrote right, or someone can check if what I write is right before copying it down on the game or something.
And about the themes... How about Johto Gym leader/Elite Four theme in an eerie way or something for a mysterious and cloaked stranger?
Alright, Johto Gyms it shall be. I'll get onto it as quickly as possible
Advertiser Content