Male
UK
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
139 posts
6 Years
Leg 3! Going great - keep it up!

That moveset on Charizard in Gen 1... yikes!

And no-one is going to beat you up over the Arceus mechanics for the "Lord" Pokemon 😊. It took me until Arceus himself to work out that was an option and a LOT of resets for Lords 3 and 5 so I definitely would have opted for that just-keep-going alternative if I was smart enough to click it 😂
.....Kneecaps!
Female
Belgium
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
153 posts
139 Days
Leg 3! Going great - keep it up!

That moveset on Charizard in Gen 1... yikes!

And no-one is going to beat you up over the Arceus mechanics for the "Lord" Pokemon 😊. It took me until Arceus himself to work out that was an option and a LOT of resets for Lords 3 and 5 so I definitely would have opted for that just-keep-going alternative if I was smart enough to click it 😂
Thanks! ^^ I'm honestly pretty proud that I've made it this far into this challenge, haha. The mid-game can be quite daunting though with a lot of grinding in some games, so I hope I can continue to push through. > <

How is your challenge going, by the way? I'm looking forward to more updates! uwu

DAY 72 [06/03/2022] ー POKEMON SILVER
Spoiler:

After the grinding fest yesterday, it was definitely nice not to have to add any new members to the squad this time. I did do some minor grinding by taking out a bunch of Tentacool and Tentacruel by the Cianwood City coast but after that, I could just take on all of the wild trainers and Rocket Grunts at their hideouts/the Radio Tower to yield plenty of EXP.

The team has been performing quite well, with all of them being equally useful. Of course, Feraligatr and Venomoth got to shine against all of the Rockets and their Poison types. However, Bellossom was surprisingly useful in the Ice gym. You might not expect it, but all of Pryce’s Pokemon are weak to Grass type attacks, so Razor Leaf really put in the work.

My original plan for the final team member was Skarmory from route 45 but I’m actually debating on using Lugia instead. I’m usually not fond of using box art legendaries in regular Playthroughs because they’re often too powerful and you only get to use them for a short period of time. However, since there’s a whole second region to go and Red is known to be incredibly strong, I feel like it’s almost justified in Gen II. I also loved the Pokemon 2000 movie as a kid so Lugia (and its song) will always have a special place in my heart.

CURRENT TEAM

Peppermint the Feraligatr ♂ - Lv. 39

- Dig
- Bite
- Ice Punch
- Surf

Camomille the Ampharos ♀️ - Lv. 38

- Headbutt
- Cotton Spore
- Thunder Punch
- Thunder Wave

Matcha the Bellossom ♀️ - Lv. 38

- Razor Leaf
- Cut
- Acid
- Poison Powder

Chai the Venomoth ♂ - Lv. 38

- Gust
- Psybeam
- Leech Life
- Sludge Bomb

Oolong the Magmar ♂ - Lv. 38

- Fire Punch
- Strength
- Rock Smash
- Thunder Punch
Male
UK
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
139 posts
6 Years
Welp, Arceus derailed me completely. Buuut behind the scenes I have finished Arceus and Shining Pearl. My Gen 1 games are all at 6 badges (I think) so could probably finish those quickly if I put in some effort there.

Finding that my other life stuff is a pretty significant barrier to getting this challenge done - job, D&D (I'm a DM so a lot of prep) - so I might not make it!!
.....Kneecaps!
Female
Belgium
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
153 posts
139 Days
Welp, Arceus derailed me completely. Buuut behind the scenes I have finished Arceus and Shining Pearl. My Gen 1 games are all at 6 badges (I think) so could probably finish those quickly if I put in some effort there.

Finding that my other life stuff is a pretty significant barrier to getting this challenge done - job, D&D (I'm a DM so a lot of prep) - so I might not make it!!
I totally get that! I had a job for a couple of days during the first week of February and I was lucky that it was remote teaching from home but it was still difficult to find time to play on those days. I've applied for a few teaching jobs since but no luck so far. > < Hence why I'm playing a lot now so I still have plenty of time left near the end of the challenge when I'll hopefully have a job again.

During the release weekend of PLA, I grinded a lot in the first area as well but then the hype kind of died down for me. It's a fun and refreshing game, but I still prefer the old formula because it's easier for me to play. :p I miss trainer battles in PLA and the damage output is so different from what I'm used to, it totally throws me off.
Female
Belgium
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
153 posts
139 Days
DAY 73 [07/03/2022] ー POKEMON RUBY
Spoiler:

Oldschool Hoenn continues to be such a nostalgic experience for me. My first game may have been Emerald, but I enjoy playing through Ruby & Sapphire just as much.

Even though this part included a lot of backtracking and running/biking from one place to another, I still enjoyed exploring the land and sea. Speaking of sea, I wonder if I’ll agree with IGN on there being too much water by the time I’m done with this challenge. :p I will have to play through the water-heavy part a total of five times after all.

Anyway, let’s talk about the progress I made today. I only added one new team member in Whiscash, but two of the early game members reached their final form. Blaziken was really useful during the fight against Norman, being able to set up two Bulk Ups and then basically sweeping through his team with Double Kick.

Exploud on the other hand is an absolute MONSTER because of the coverage it gets. I picked up the Ice Beam TM from the abandoned ship and bought more coins to purchase a Flamethrower TM from the Mauville Game Corner.

While these two are the MVPs of the team, the others have been performing well too. It’s my first time using a Whiscash and so far, so good. It’s obviously not the strongest, but it gets early Earthquake and Surf is always a great water STAB. Beautifuly and Roselia are holding up surprisingly good too.

The fight against Winona is often seen as one of the harder in these games because of her DD Altaria, but if you know where to get Ice Beam and one of your Pokemon can learn it, she’s pretty much a joke. Exploud took out her first two Pokemon with Shock Wave, the Skarmory with Flamethrower and eventually the Altaria with Ice Beam, winning us the 6th gym badge.

CURRENT TEAM

Yuuki (Courage) the Blaziken ♂ - Lv. 40

Blaze / Bashful nature

- Bulk Up
- Dig
- Double Kick
- Blaze Kick

Koufuku (Joy) the Beautifly ♀ - Lv. 39

Swarm / Lax nature

- Psychic
- Aerial Ace
- Silver Wind
- Giga Drain

Koukai (Regret) the Exploud ♂ - Lv. 40

Soundproof / Lonely nature

- Secret Power
- Shock Wave
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Setsunasa (Sorrow) the Roselia ♀ - Lv. 39

Poison Touch / Docile nature

- Magical Leaf
- Growth
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Kibou (Hope) the Whiscash ♂ - Lv. 39

Oblivious / Calm nature

- Surf
- Amnesia
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
Female
Belgium
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
153 posts
139 Days
DAY 74 [08/03/2022] ー POKEMON LEAF GREEN
Spoiler:

We’re back in Kanto already but it’s so much easier to grind in these games compared to R/B/Y. Bless the person who decided to invent the VS Seeker. It’s hands down my favorite item in all of Pokemon because it makes grinding a breeze. It’s particularly useful in FR/LG because there’s lots of places with a bunch of trainers crammed together, so you get a lot of value out of each VS Seeker call.

I added two new members to the team in Vaporeon and Rhyhorn, but both of them were caught up with the rest of the team almost instantly. I decided to wait to evolve my Eevee and got the Shadow Ball TM from the Game Corner, so he solo’d pretty much all of the trainers in the Pokemon Tower for a lot of EXP. Once I got the Surf HM from Fuchsia City, I used the Water Stone to evolve him into a Vaporeon.

Meanwhile Rhyhorn was incredibly useful to take on the abundance of Bird Keepers around Fuchsia City. These are often grouped together as well and perfect for VS Seeker grinding.

Venusaur struggles a little with this part of the game since it doesn’t do well against the Flying and Poison types, but at least there’s a bunch of Water type trainers coming up on the water routes south of Fuchsia and surrounding Cinnabar Island.

Just like in Pokemon Red, I decided to take on Koga before Sabrina. I also have yet to do the Fighting Dojo and the Silph Co. in Saffron City. I didn’t feel like playing any more after defeating Koga and it seemed pointless to push myself when I still have plenty of time left in this challenge. It has to stay fun after all.

CURRENT TEAM

Brussels the Venusaur ♂ - Lv. 40

Overgrow / Rash nature

- Cut
- Leech Seed
- Poison Powder
- Razor Leaf

Paris the Clefable ♀ - Lv. 41

Cute Charm / Hardy nature

- Return
- Psychic
- Water Pulse
- Sing

Bombay the Electrode - Lv. 40

Soundproof / Sassy nature

- Selfdestruct
- Shock Wave
- SonicBoom
- Thunderbolt

Jakarta the Ninetales ♀ - Lv. 40

Flash Fire / Hasty nature

- Flamethrower
- Dig
- Will-o-wisp
- Quick Attack

Seoul the Vaporeon ♂ - Lv. 41

Water Absorb / Quirky nature

- Surf
- Bite
- Aurora Beam
- Shadow Ball

Cairo the Rhyhorn ♂ - Lv. 41

Lightningrod / Careful nature

- Dig
- Stomp
- Rock Slide
- Strength
Female
Belgium
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
153 posts
139 Days
DAY 75 [09/03/2022] ー POKEMON DIAMOND
Spoiler:

Today was my birthday but I don’t really celebrate those anymore (I’m just even more of a boomer now lol) so I still had plenty of time to play some Pokemon. It’s something I enjoy doing, so in that regard it’s not even a bad way to spend my birthday.

I’ve been really enjoying playing through this game as well. The team I’m using is a combination of common Sinnoh mons but also some underrated picks. Octillery in particular is a bunch of fun because of its diverse moveset.

There wasn’t much plot-related stuff which happened this time around, since I mostly just cleared out routes and took on the mid-game gym leaders. Both Crasher Wake and Fantina can be very challenging, but I had the right Pokemon to take them on. Luxray was definitely an MVP this time around, taking out Wake’s Gyarados and Floatzel wih Spark and as well Fantina’s Ghost types with Crunch.

I wasn’t sure if I could squeeze the 6th gym in there, but I eventually opted against it. Instead I went around the region to further explore areas which have now become accessible thanks to Surf. This also opens up a bunch of great TMs like Thunderbolt and Flamethrower.

Last but not least, I did the Iron Island side quest to get the Riolu egg, because I want Lucario to be my final team member. I’ll probably hatch the egg in between now and the next time I pick up Diamond again, so I can grind him up to be on par with the rest of the squad.

CURRENT TEAM

Aker the Torterra ♂ - Lv. 40

Overgrow / Lonely nature

- Earthquake
- Curse
- Razor Leaf
- Bite

Shu the Staraptor ♂ - Lv. 40

Intimidate / Adamant nature

- Return
- Defog
- Fly
- Close Combat

Horus the Luxray ♂ - Lv. 41

Intimidate / Hasty nature

- Crunch
- Iron Tail
- Charge
- Spark

Isis the Mismagius ♀ - Lv. 41

Levitate / Modest nature

- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Psybeam
- Confuse Ray

Hapi the Octillery ♀ - Lv. 40

Suction Cups / Sassy nature

- Flamethrower
- Psybeam
- Aurora Beam
- Surf
Female
Belgium
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
153 posts
139 Days
DAY 76 [10/03/2022] ー POKEMON HEARTGOLD
Spoiler:

I did not have much time to play at all today since someone came over in the afternoon. I also got a phone call from the person I had a job interview with earlier this week and I got hired! I’ll have a full time job again soon, so I might not be able to play as much daily. (Most of it is remote/online teaching though so it shouldn’t be too bad)

Anyway, today I spent most of the time grinding up the final team member. You might be wondering how I got Larvitar so early, but it’s actually possible if you get the right area in the Safari Zone. Larvitar has such a slow EXP curve though so she wasn’t easy to train. She probably won’t reach her final evolution until we get to the Kanto part of this game either, but it’ll be worth it!

Speaking of final stages, the rest of my team is all big and grown up now! I did my little ‘cheat’ again where I traded them over to my Diamond copy so I could benefit from the boosted EXP + the VS Seeker. Having the item in HGSS would be honestly be such a life saver. T _ T

As for the battles, I mostly took on Team Rocket members so a bunch of Psychic types meaning Girafarig continues to perform really well. The gym battles were fairly easy as well with Typhlosion and Politoed taking out Jasmine and Tangrowth handling Pryce’s team. Once again, the Ice type gym leader gets destroyed by a Grass type.

CURRENT TEAM

Pride the Typhlosion ♂ - Lv. 37

Blaze / Timid nature

- Focus Blast
- Quick Attack
- Swift
- Lava Plume

Sloth the Tangrowth ♀ - Lv. 37

Leaf Guard / Docile nature

- AncientPower
- Growth
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Gluttony the Politoed ♂ - Lv. 37

Water Absorb / Modest nature

- Body Slam
- Rain Dance
- Mud Shot
- Surf

Envy the Scizor ♀ - Lv. 37

Swarm / Adamant nature

- U-turn
- Metal Claw
- Wing Attack
- Rock Smash

Greed the Girafarig ♂ - Lv. 37

Inner Focus / Mild nature

- Psychic
- Strength
- Shadow Ball
- Charge Beam

Wrath the Pupitar ♀ - Lv. 37

Shed Skin / Docile nature

- Rock Slide
- Dig
- Payback
- Screech
Female
Belgium
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
153 posts
139 Days
Congrats on the new job!
Thanks! I don't start until the 19th though so I have all of next week to prep. :p As a teacher, you also only need 20 hours for it to count as a full time which is pretty chill. (This only counts actual teaching hours though. It doesn't account for the work you put into preparations, grading, etc.)
Female
Belgium
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
153 posts
139 Days
DAY 77 [11/03/2022] ー POKEMON BLACK
Spoiler:

Even though I only earned one new gym badge this time, I still felt like I did quite a lot of battling. For some reason I didn’t remember how many trainer battles there are in Gen V. A lot of them are quite tough as well, using strong, fully evolved Pokemon. Meanwhile you’re often stuck with unevolved mons on your team because a lot of Unova Pokemon evolve so late, which can make for quite the struggle. Munna in particular was so difficult to use. > < I was so happy when she finally hit lv. 37 and learnt Psychic so I could evolve her.

On the flip side, Darmanitan is an absolute monster. Darumaka was never bad, but Hustle being a muk ability compared with its frail defenses could be annoying at times. The newest team member Galvantula has been performing really well too. She single-handedly took out all of Skyla’s Pokemon in one hit with Electroweb.

I ended today with exploring some more of the region after getting access to Surf. There’s a bunch more strong trainers you can fight and some great coverage TMs to pick up.

CURRENT TEAM

Navy the Samurott ♂ - Lv. 40

Torrent / Sassy nature

- Grass Knot
- X-Scissor
- Surf
- Revenge

Violet the Musharna ♀ - Lv. 40

Synchronize / Sassy nature

- Psychic
- Yawn
- Calm Mind
- Charge Beam

Shamrock the Whimsicott ♀ - Lv. 40

Prankster / Calm nature

- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Growth
- Stun Spore

Ferrari the Darmanitan ♂ - Lv. 40

Hustle / Lonely nature

- Bulldoze
- Strength
- Fire Punch
- Hammer Arm

Dandelion the Galvantula ♀ - Lv. 40

Compound Eyes / Gentle nature

- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Signal Beam
- Slash

shyamk

Banned

Seen March 12th, 2022
Posted March 12th, 2022
3 posts
70 Days
I recently decided to return to the "start" and play through the games. I decided to take a different approach as in not race to the end, I have been enjoying taking time to talk to all NPCs, catching pokemon in each area as I move through the game. My planned route of the games is:

Leaf Green (on last gym, currently saved beside Moltres as 60 Ultra balls wasnt enough last night)

Heart Gold

Emerald

Brilliant Diamond / Something Pearl

White

White 2

X

Ultra Moon

Sword

I chose these games (which are being played via legit original copies) as they all sync to Home (eventually) so I can keep any mons I like for future. I also chose Emerald over OSAR as I never played the original Gen 3, I fell away from Pokemon during Gen 3 and returned in Gen 6. So I am looking forward to my first play through of Gens 3-5.

So far my Leaf green journey has been great fun, im 23 hours in! Have 2/3 Leg Birds and have to say my game MVP has to be Pikachu/Raichu, the amount of water/bird trainers is unreal! My team currently consists of:

Raichu

Starmie

Butterfree (getting dumped soon)

Charizard

Primeape

Gyarados

Any tips or hints of fun side quests in future games is much appreciated!

I am glad I have managed to shake of my MMO min/max mentality on this play through.
Female
Belgium
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
153 posts
139 Days
DAY 78 [12/03/2022] ー POKEMON WHITE 2
Spoiler:

This has probably been the least productive day ever since I started this challenge. However, I do have a good reason for it! Since I’m getting back to work soon, I had to go to the school today to get a tour of the place. I also met my co-workers and had lunch with them which was really nice. Then afterwards I went shopping with my mom so there was very little time left to play.

I did manage to squeeze in the gym fight against Clay and do the PWT stuff as well as the fights against Team Plasma. Last but not least, I explored the Relic Passage and got my sixth and final team member: Volcarona.

I was so stoked when I found out that you can get a Volcarona at lv. 35 during the mid-game in these games. ...Then a lot less stoked when I saw its moveset lol. Still, I might be able to grind BP & red shards to get Incinerate and Signal Beam which should do as STAB moves for now.

Other than that, the team did not change too much. My starter evolved into his final stage and I taught Azumarill Ice Punch via the move tutor, making him even more of a threat.

The gym battle against Clay was surprisingly challenging after Azumarill failed to OHKO Sandslash with Aqua Tail and then missed the second one. He was too low to take on Excadrill afterwards, so I had to pivot to Krokorok via Servine and get a Leech Seed off in the process.

CURRENT TEAM

King the Serperior ♂ - Lv. 36

Overgrow / Mild nature

- Return
- Coil
- Leaf Blade
- Leech Seed

Pawn the Azumarill ♂ - Lv. 36

Huge Power / Brave nature

- Work Up
- Return
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Tail

Knight the Electabuzz ♂ - Lv. 35

Static / Lonely nature

- Light Screen
- ThunderPunch
- Low Kick
- Swift

Rook the Krokorok ♂ - Lv. 35

Moxie / Sassy nature

- Dig
- Crunch
- Rock Tomb
- Strength

Bishop the Duosion ♂ - Lv. 35

Overcoat / Hardy nature

- Recover
- Psyshock
- Future Sight
- Hidden Power [Steel]

Queen the Volcarona ♀ - Lv. 35

Flame Body / Mild nature

- String Shot
- Struggle Bug
- Gust
- Fire Spin
Female
Belgium
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
153 posts
139 Days
DAY 79 [13/03/2022] ー POKEMON X
Spoiler:

After getting a tour at my new job yesterday, I’ve been super motivated to get back into teaching so I honestly spent most of today preparing for my new classes which start next week. As a result, I didn’t really play all that much Pokemon. ^^;;

Thankfully, Pokemon X/Y are super easy with the EXP. Share completely taking out the grinding aspect of the game. I only battled the necessary trainers this time and my team is still kind of overleveled.

I also had a huge derp moment with my Amaura because I completely forgot that it has to be night for her to evolve. I rarely ever play during the night hours so I just kept her in the back of the party to soak up EXP and by the time she hit lv. 43, I decided to check the wiki because I could have sworn she should have evolved by now. ーー Whoops. So yeah, I changed the time of my 3DS and now I finally have my Aurorus.

The rest of the team did not change much, but Florges and Clawitzer both got huge buffs in terms of their movesets. I decide to trade them over to my Omega Ruby copy while holding some Heart Scales so I could use the move relearner in those games to teach them some better moves. The one in X/Y is located much later so...Pro tip. :p

I also added the final member to the team in Goomy (now a Sliggoo). I know Goodra is one of the less liked Dragon types, but I actually really enjoy its design so I’m excited to use one for the first time ever. (Just gotta remember to level her up to lv. 50 while it’s raining or I’ll have another Amaura incident haha)

Last but not least, the gyms were once again total push overs. I don’t have any moves on my team which are super effective against Fairy types but I managed to overpower Valerie with sheer power alone. Her Pokemon basically have nothing to hit Delphox for much damage after all.

CURRENT TEAM

Gladiolus the Chesnaught ♂ - Lv. 47

Overgrow / Sassy nature

- Strength
- Power-Up Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Bulldoze

Rose the Delphox ♀ - Lv. 46

Blaze / Hasty nature

- Grass Knot
- Psyshock
- Flamethrower
- Light Screen

Sakura the Florges ♀ - Lv. 46

Flower Veil / Docile nature

- Protect
- Magical Leaf
- Moonblast
- Toxic

Snowdrop the Aurorus ♀ - Lv. 45

Refrigerate / Gentle nature

- Ancient Power
- Thunder Wave
- Round
- Aurora Beam

Lotus the Clawitzer ♀ - Lv. 44

Mega Launcher / Gentle nature

- Aura Sphere
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Water Pulse

Orchid the Sliggoo ♀ - Lv. 44

Hydration / Lonely nature

- Body Slam
- Dragon Breath
- Rain Dance
- Muddy Water
Female
Belgium
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
153 posts
139 Days
DAY 80 [14/03/2022] ー POKEMON ALPHA SAPPHIRE
Spoiler:

Pokemon once again wasn’t exactly my priority today, but I did manage to find some time to play at least a little. Thankfully, Gen VI are some of the easiest games to play since the pacing is relatively fast and you don’t need to grind much. I actually had to turn off the EXP. Share at some point because my team was gaining levels so quickly.

I finally managed to get my two final team members as well. Latias may seem like a cheap choice, but I really like its design and it’s not a box art legendary either so I’m hoping it won’t be too OP. Its dual typing really helped round out the squad as well.

With Crawdaunt I’m doubling up on the Water types, but he’s a physical attacker while Ludicolo is special-based so it shouldn’t be an issue. My original plan was to DexNav chain for an Adaptibility Corphish but fishing encounters are so hard to chain. > < Crawdaunt is plenty powerful as is for the main game, so I don’t think it’ll be an issue.

As for the gym fights this time, Norman was super easy with Blaziken. His lead Slaking was a little annoying with Yawn + Encore as I tried to set up Bulk Up but eventually the Encore ended on a Truant turn so my +6 Attack and +6 Defense Blaziken just destroyed the rest of his team.

Winona wasn’t much of a challenge either. Mawile took care of Altaria with Play Rough after shrugging off an Earthquake and Latias dealt with the rest of her team with Thunderbolt.

Note to self: I have yet to take on all of the trainers on the water routes. I’ll probably use these to grind for the league since my team is plenty strong right now.

CURRENT TEAM

Popeyes the Blaziken ♂ - Lv. 40

Blaze / Lax nature

- Blaze Kick
- Bulk Up
- Double Kick
- Dig

Taco Bell the Ludicolo ♀ - Lv. 40

Swift Swim / Bashful nature

- Uproar
- Giga Drain
- Surf
- Fake Out

Olive Garden the Masquerain ♂ - Lv. 40

Intimidate / Mild nature

- BubbleBeam
- Psybeam
- Silver Wind
- Air Slash

Starbucks the Mawile ♂ - Lv. 41

Intimidate / Adamant nature

- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Ice Fang
- Crunch

Red Lobster the Crawdaunt ♀ - Lv. 40

Hyper Cutter / Lax nature

- Swords Dance
- Razor Shell
- Secret Power
- Knock Off

Wendy’s the Latias ♀ - Lv. 41

Levitate / Modest nature

- Grass Knot
- Mist Ball
- Dragon Breath
- Thunderbolt
Female
Belgium
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
153 posts
139 Days
DAY 81 [15/03/2022] ー POKEMON SUN
Spoiler:

I’m seriously starting to consider taking a bit of a break from this challenge because I just don’t have much time to play. > < Even though I haven’t started teaching yet, I want to prepare as many classes as I can in advance so most of my time goes to that.

Anyway, I did manage to squeeze in a little bit of Pokemon Sun today. I only took on Olivia’s Grand Trial, Nihilego and the rival battle with Hau when you arrive in Malie City but it’s better than nothing, right...?

As a result, the team didn’t change much aside from Brionne evolving into Primarina, my favorite final starter evolution ever. I remember seeing the supposedly false leaks back then and wishing they were real because I loved the Primarina design so much. I guess it makes sense since my favorite movie as a child was The Little Mermaid.

Anyway, one of the boss battles I did were much of a challenge. I had both a Water and a Grass type to take on Olivia and while Hau’s Alolan Raichu hits extremely hard with STAB Psychic, Alolan Marowak could take one and retaliate with a Boomerang.

Hopefully by the time this game comes up again in the schedule, I’ll have some more time on my hand because I will have some catching up to do.

CURRENT TEAM

Lucky Charms the Primarina ♀ - Lv. 34

Torrent / Bold nature

- Sparkling Aria

- Scald

- Psychic

- Disarming Voice

Froot Loops the Toucannon ♂ - Lv. 33

Skill Link / Docile nature

- Aerial Ace

- Beak Blast

- Echoed Voice

- Brick Break

Apple Jacks the Alolan Grimer ♀ - Lv. 33

Poison Touch / Impish nature

- Knock Off

- Poison Fang

- Crunch

- Disable

Special K the Tsareena ♀ - Lv. 34

Leaf Guard / Bashful nature

- Trop Kick

- Stomp

- Teeter Dance

- Razor Leaf

Raisin Bran the Alolan Marowak ♂ - Lv. 33

Lightning Rod / Adamant nature

- Fire Punch

- Bulldoze

- Brutal Swing

- Brick Break
Female
Belgium
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
153 posts
139 Days
DAY 82 [16/03/2022] ー POKEMON ULTRA MOON
Spoiler:

I actually made some progress today which made very happy! My hard work from the past few days has paid off and I can take a bit of breather in terms of my job now. I’m definitely glad I got so much progress done during the first and second leg of this challenge as well. This lets me take it easy for now and still have a shot at finishing everything in time.

Anyway, the team is finally becoming stronger. This is probably the game I have been struggling the most with because my team just wasn’t performing as well as I hoped to. Jangmo-o reaching its second stage should help a lot though. I also picked up the Eviolite so he got a nice boost in both his offensive and defensive stats. The upgrade from Salandit to Salazzle is a huge one as well. She’s still extremely frail, but hits much harder now.

That being said, I nearly got swept by Olivia because my team is surprisingly really weak to Rock types. Mantine and Jangmo-o had gotten weakened while taking out Anorith and Lileep respectively. Then when I swapped in my Dartrix on Lycanroc, she went for her Z-move and well...OHKO’d him. I was basically down to Ribombee in the end and only won because Rock Tomb missed. Thank you RNG.

Meanwhile the fight against Totem Togedemaru was much easier than I expected. Flame Burst from Salazzle did a ton of damage and I manage to 2-shot it while barely surviving a second Zing Zap. A close call, but a win regardless.

CURRENT TEAM

Mercury the Decidueye ♂ - Lv. 38

Overgrow / Quiet nature

- Giga Drain
- Razor Leaf
- Spirit Shackle
- Pluck

Jupiter the Hakamo-o ♂ - Lv. 37

Bulletproof / Docile nature

- Dragon Tail
- Sky Uppercut
- Bulldoze
- Aerial Ace

Saturn the Ribombee ♀ - Lv. 38

Shield Dust / Hasty nature

- Silver Wind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stun Spore
- Bug Buzz

Venus the Salazzle ♀ - Lv. 37

Corrosion / Mild nature

- Flame Burst
- Nasty Plot
- Toxic
- Venoshock

Neptune the Mantine ♂ - Lv. 37

Water Absorb / Rash nature

- Water Pulse
- Signal Beam
- Air Slash
- Headbutt
Female
Belgium
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
153 posts
139 Days
DAY 83 [17/03/2022] ー POKEMON LET’S GO PIKACHU
Spoiler:

CURRENT TEAM

Saffron the Pikachu ♀ - Lv. 44

Dolice nature

- Thunderbolt
- Floaty Fall
- Dig
- Brick Break

Rosemary the Vileplume ♀ - Lv. 44

Sassy nature

- Mega Drain
- Acid
- Growth
- Toxic

Vanilla the Wigglytuff ♀ - Lv. 44

Timid nature

- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Seismic Toss
- Psychic

Chili the Arcanine ♂ - Lv. 44

Hardy nature

- Flamethrower
- Play Rough
- Dig
- Crunch

Star Anise the Starmie - Lv. 44

Naive nature

- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Scald
- Psychic

Cilantro the Scyther ♀ - Lv. 41

Calm nature

- Wing Attack
- X-Scissor
- Slash
- Brick Break
Female
Belgium
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
153 posts
139 Days
Surprise, surprise ー This challenge is not dead!

I got a full-time job and can no longer afford to stick to my original schedule. However, I have been playing whenever I can and decided to just focus on one game at a time now that I'm decently far into all games. The first one I finished is Pokemon Red with the following team:

Arrabiata the Charizard
Lv. 55

HP: 172
Attack: 133
Defense: 118
Special: 137
Speed: 145

- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Strength
- Flamethrower

Thoughts: Charizard is very...underwhelming. It struggles against the early game gym leaders, then by the time it could get better, its only STAB move is Ember with its pitiful 40 base power. Even after evolving into Charizard, its damage output was lacking compared to my other team members. It does get Flamethrower eventually but at that point, there are very few battles to use it in. The final part of the game consists of a bunch of water routes, a Fire and a Ground gym leader and the E4 with an Ice type trainer whose Pokemon are almost exclusively Water type as well. ^^;; I only sent out Charizard into battle once during my whole E4 run and it got frozen by Jynx' Ice Punch upon switch-in, remained frozen and then fainted to a critical hit on the next turn. So yeah, Charizard gets a 4/10 from me.

Alfredo the Raichu
Lv. 56

HP: 153
Attack: 143
Defense: 97
Special: 138
Speed: 142

- Thunderbolt
- Swift
- Quick Attack
- Thunder Wave

Thoughts: Even though Raichu is technically outclassed by Jolteon, I still enjoyed using it. Pikachu is quite frail but Raichu could take hits decently well and was a huge help against Misty's gym as well as all of the water type trainers during the latter part of the game. It performed quite well in the E4 as well, pretty much soloing Lorelei's team and taking care of my rival's Pidgeot and Blastoise as well. There isn't much Raichu can do against Ground types with its lackluster coverage, but I had other team members to take those on, so it didn't pose much of an issue. A solid 7/10

Carbonara the Arbok
Lv. 55

HP: 156
Attack: 127
Defense: 105
Special: 106
Speed: 128

- Acid
- Body Slam
- Rock Slide
- Dig

Thoughts: Arbok was the underdog pick of my team but it definitely performed! Wrap strats are fun to abuse early on and poison/rock/ground/normal is decent coverage for most of the trainers and boss fights in the game. Carbonara took on Lt. Surge, resists Erika's grass type moves and also did well against Koga since Poison types aren't affected by Toxic. During my E4 run, it took out most of Agatha's team but then confusion hax screwed us over as her final Gengar managed to take it out. Overall, I really enjoyed using Arbok and I would definitely recommend him! In Gen I, you have Wrap and 100 BP Dig to benefit from, but in later generations there's the elemental fangs and Crunch as good coverage options too. 8/10.

Bolognese the Dodrio
Lv. 55

HP: 149
Attack: 150
Defense: 102
Special: 96
Speed: 132

- Drill Peck
- Agility
- Tri Attack
- Fly

Thoughts: Dodrio is solid all around and definitely the best bird to use in Kanto. While not as bulky as Pidgeot, it hits so much harder and gets great STAB moves in Drill Peck and Tri Attack. Not much coverage aside from that but since there's no Steel typing in the game, a high BP Normal type moves goes a long way. Fly is a little stronger than Drill Peck but can miss so I mostly just used it as an HM to take me from one place to another. I don't think I clicked Agility once but hey, I needed something as a 4th move. While Dodrio did not do much during my E4 run, it could take on most of Bruno's team and does well against Agatha as well because of how frail her Ghost types are. I also used Bolognese in Erika's and Sabrina's gym. A fast, hard-hitting physical attacker is the best Alakazam counter in the game after all. Another 8/10.

Vongole the Cloyster
Lv. 56

HP: 148
Attack: 146
Defense: 235
Special: 122
Speed: 120

- Surf
- Swift
- Ice Beam
- Withdraw

Thoughts: Water and Ice are such a great STAB combination, there is no way Cloyster could be bad. Since I could evolve it upon catching a Shellder and immediately teach it both Surf and Ice Beam, I could start using him right away as well. (Granted, the grind was a big pain in the ass.) Any Water type with Surf pretty much wrecks the final two gyms in Kanto so having Vongole was a great help there. Ice Beam is also a foolproof way to easily get through Lance so that was definitely helpful as well. The only downside to Cloyster is that its physical attack is actually much better than its Special, but there's no physical Water or Ice moves in Gen I. Other than that, a very solid Pokemon which deserves a 7/10.

Spinaci the Exeggutor
Lv. 56

HP: 193
Attack: 147
Defense: 133
Special: 177
Speed: 94

- Psychic
- Stomp
- Reflect
- Mega Drain

Thoughts: Exeggutor is probably the MVP of the run with its massive special stat and STAB Psychic to abuse it. Psychic types are always busted in Gen I and while Exeggutor is not a speedy boy by any means, I could still outspeed most in-game opponents and absolutely wreck them. It helped out against Koga despite being weak to Psychic and also solo'ed Bruno team in the E4. Not to mention the massacre it could cause on the water routes surrounding Cinnabar Island. Spinaci unfortunately fell at the very end when my rival power-predicted my switch and went for Blizzard instead of a Water type move even though I had my Charizard out. I enjoyed using it as a team member a lot though, which is why I'm giving Exeggutor an 8.5/10.

General impressions: The Generation I games are so straightforward, there isn't much you can stay about them in terms of gameplay or plot. They are buggy for sure, yet I always find myself enjoying these games whenever I play them. There's just something endearing about the simplicity. Sure feels nice knowing you can just play the game and not fear a 5-minute cutscene popping up every time you enter a new town or city. My biggest issue with these games are the movesets of the Pokemon. A big chunk of the Pokedex is borderline unusuable because they learn ZERO good/stab moves. Sure, there's TMs but they're single use so you have to really plan out your team to make sure that you don't need the same TM twice to make a Pokemon viable. Grinding can also be rather tedious in these games, especially with the huge jump in levels between Erika and Koga/Sabrina. Not to mention this is when a lot of new areas open up (fishing/safari zone/...), but the wild Pokemon in them are only around lv. 15-20 which means you need to do a lot of training to get them caught up with the rest of your team.

Overall, I would give my Pokemon Red run a 7/10. I had fun and I got to use some Pokemon I've never used before, but there was definitely some frustration along the way as well.
Female
Belgium
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
153 posts
139 Days
Another update already? You bet! I decided to try the Red battle on Pokemon Silver today even though my team was only lv. 65 and I actually beat him first try, so I didn't have to bother putting in extra hours just to grind.

Peppermint the Feraligatr
Lv. 65

HP: 227
Attack: 184
Defense: 164
Special Attack: 149
Special Defense: 155
Speed: 145

- Earthquake
- Surf
- Bite
- Ice Punch

Thoughts: While the Totodile line might not be my favorite Gen II starter, it is definitely the best. Good offensive and defensive stats combined with decent speed and a very diverse movepool which can handle most opponents in the game. Sure, it does suffer a bit from the lack of a physical/special split but STAB Surf is still plenty powerful. You can basically take on the entire Indigo League with just Feraligatr if you have the right moves on him. Honestly, there was not a single point in my playthrough where I felt like my starter was lacking behind and the final evolution at lv. 30 is pretty sweet too. For those reasons, I give Feraligatr a 9/10.

Camomille the Ampharos
Lv. 65

HP: 214
Attack: 129
Defense: 127
Special Attack: 195
Special Defense: 162
Speed: 117

- Thunder Punch
- Iron Tail
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Wave

Thoughts: Ampharos is another staple on any Johto team and for a good reason. Mareep and Flaaffy are very useful early on against Falkner's Flying types and Bugsy's Scyther. Flaaffy's bulk also helped me against Whitney's Miltank. Even later on, Ampharos is still good against Chuck's Poliwrath and can help out in the E4 as well by taking on Will's entire team with the dual elemental punches, as well as Lance's Gyarados. Its movepool is a bit lacking with no good options for ground types, but I had plenty of other team members who could handle those. Also Ampharos is just adorable. How could you not love it? A solid 8/10.

Matcha the Bellossom
Lv. 65

HP: 196
Attack: 142
Defense: 152
Special Attack: 153
Special Defense: 166
Speed: 95

- Razor Leaf
- Toxic
- Cut
- Acid

Thoughts: Oh boy, the loopholes I had to jump through to get an Oddish with Razor Leaf. I do think it was worth it in the end because I wasn't going to wait until Erika to get a better STAB Grass type move than absorb. The high critical hit ratio on Razor Leaf definitely came in clutch a couple of times as well. On top of that, I was surprised by Bellossom's bulk. She could take quite a few hits and just slowly chip away at the opponent. In terms of offense, she definitely wasn't the strongest team member, but I also didn't struggle using her. I believe Gloom was actually the Pokemon I used to take out Whitney's Miltank because of its nice bulk. Unfortunately, Grass types don't do too well in the Johto league so Matcha didn't really get to shine there aside from taking out Bruno's Onix and Karen's Umbreon. I will give her a well-deserved 7/10.

Chai the Venomoth
Lv. 65

HP: 192
Attack: 129
Defense: 122
Special Attack: 146
Special Defense: 126
Speed: 157

- Gust
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Thoughts: Just like Bellossom, Venomoth is not the strongest Pokemon but it does have one thing going for it: coverage. Psychic, Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are all very powerful moves and even though the latter is physical by default in these games, it still hit pretty hard being a STAB move. I did have Leech Life on my Venomoth during the earlier parts of the game but honestly, it did pretty pathetic damage even to Psychic and Dark types so I ended up taking it off his moveset. Venomoth was mainly useful against all of the Rocket Grunts and their Poison types, as well as against Jasmine and Koga. Bruno's fighting types were no match for Psychic either, but I did have other options for Bruno as well. Being just slightly better than Bellossom due to the coverage, I'll give Venomoth a 7.5/10.

Oolong the Magmar
Lv. 65

HP: 188
Attack: 162
Defense: 119
Special Attack: 168
Special Defense: 148
Speed: 151

- Thunder Punch
- Flamethrower
- Rock Smash
- Strength

Thoughts: Magmar is one of those Pokemon which I tend to forget exist because for some reason, Blaine doesn't use one in RBY. I have to say, I was surprised by its power. Flamethrower hits like a truck and with Thunder Punch being special in this gen, it's a great coverage move to take out any slower Water type. While Magmar never quite stole the show, it was always decent and performed consistently throughout the whole run. Therefore, he also gets a 8/10.

Earl Grey the Lugia
Lv. 65

HP: 234
Attack: 161
Defense: 208
Special Attack: 155
Special Defense: 238
Speed: 179

- Psychic
- Fly
- Shadow Ball
- Waterfall

Thoughts: This is probably a controversial pick because using legendaries in a regular playthrough is pretty 'cheap'. Usually I don't care for legendaries because their designs don't appeal to me, but Lugia is an exception. Not only does it look extremely majestic, but I also loved the Pokemon 2000 movie as a kid and still listen to Lugia's Song on repeat at times. I used a very diversed moveset on mine for this run and just like Feraligatr, you can pretty much run through the entire E4 with just Lugia. (Don't worry, I didn't actually do that because I wanted my other Pokemon to shine too). While I don't see myself using legendaries for every playthrough, I don't regret spending all those hours trying to catch this thing. 9/10.

General impressions: The Generation II games are a VAST improvement over RBY in pretty much every aspect. I really like the bright colors and how everything looks so vibrant after playing a Gen I game. While the movesets are nowhere near perfect, they've also gotten a lot better. No longer do late game opponents use Growl and Leer. ^^;; Another thing I really like about these games are the sprites! There's some amazing poses and artwork considering these were released in the late 90s. Honestly, these Pokemon look much more alive than the 3D models, even if they don't move.

My biggest fear with playing GSC was the level cap and the immense amount of grinding. However, for some reason I felt like I had to grind less in these games than I did in my Red run? During the mid-game, I mainly used the sea around the Whirl Islands to grind since both Mantine and Tentacruel are fairly common and yield a bunch of EXP. During the later parts of the game, I used the route south of Blackthorn City and Victory Road. Then once I beat the E4 once, I just continued to re-challenge them to train my Pokemon.

Johto isn't perfect and Kanto does feel much more empty in these games (it's just battling trainers and gym leaders) than it does in HGSS, but I still had a lot of fun with this game. I definitely enjoyed it more than playing Pokemon Red, hence why it gets the slightly higher score of 8/10.