• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Invidiually-Unique Pokémon Colors (+ Improved Shiny Colors) for Pokémon Platinum/HeartGold

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 31, 2022
This hack for Platinum and HeartGold aims to make it so each individual Pokémon has a slight color variation based on its personality value. This is inspired by a similar feature from the Pokémon Stadium games that does just this but based on the Pokémon's nickname. The ROM hack Pokémon Polished Crystal implements a very similar feature based on IV values. This implementation performs a hue shift on the Pokémon's palette on load.

In addition, some Pokémon have shiny colors that are very close to their non-shiny colors, or at least close enough that the simple hue shift performed by this hack may make a normal Pokémon look shiny. To remedy this, many Pokémon have been given revamped shiny colors. In additon, the opportunity has been taken to revamp Pokémon that seem to have obviously "bad" shiny palettes even if there's no ambiguity issue.

Video demonstration: Link
Source code: Link
Patches: Link

PNeK1p9.png

Changed shinies (so far):

Spoiler:

Please feel free to use this in your own ROM hacks in whatever way you'd like! If you want to apply this to any existing ROM hack, try patching this mod first. In the case of Renegade Platinum, I made a patch especially for it for convenience.

Last edited:
Years
Hey! I'm pretty sure this is a resource, so I moved it to Binary Hack Tools, Tutorials & Resources, since ROM Hacking Discussion is for ROM hacking related discussion in general.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
May I ask if there's going to be a version of the hack for SoulSilver as well? I don't know how easy or hard it is to convert a hack across versions of the same game, but my friend and I have been playing through gens 3 and 4 using different versions for the remakes, and it'd be neat if we could both use this when we get to HGSS.

Back