• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] Youkai Academy [M][IC]

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
Years

Harold Whiterune
Species : Mage

Day 4, Part 1
Catching Up
"Yeah, sorry… What do you mean with I'm being a worrywart? Yes, I know it's been only been a week since I left London… Geez, stop teasing me. Anyway, take care okay? I'll try to be home at the end of the month… Yes, yes… I'll talk to you again later, Cath... What!? Miss you? No way. I'll hang up, okay? Bye, take care." Harold turned off his phone call.

"Ah, youthful love… So very sweet..." A man's voice could be heard from somewhere nearby. There was visibly no one around, but for Harold the sound was all so familiar to him. Wanting to get back at the man, he quickly conjured a magic circle.

"Gust!" He conjured a powerful breeze of wind around the bench he was sitting. After carefully skimming the environment, he immediately threw a knife towards the ground.

"Whoa! What was that for!? I know you're capable of finding me with only using Gust, but throwing a knife towards your buddy is a bit too much, you brute! " The man immediately canceled his concealment magic. Revealing a blonde-haired young man wearing a white shirt and blue training pants.

"Welp, I can't believe I missed, could you disappear again please?" Harold sarcastically rubbed the back of his head to mock his acquaintance.

The young man flipped his middle finger while sarcastically smiling before sitting down beside Harold.

"So, how are you doing, Bill?"

"Fine, even better if a certain someone didn't attempt to pierce my sneakers, here." Bill took a sip of his canned coffee, before throwing another can towards Harold.

"Black coffee? Are you deliberately spiting me here, Mate?"

"Obviously, dumbass."

Both men giggled, before continuing their conversation.

"How is your girlfriend doing?"

Harold sighed, "You do know that Catherine is not my girlfriend."

"Well if so, then what term should I use for you two? Lovebirds? Significant Others? Flings?"

Harold didn't utter anything from his mouth but the glare he showed towards Bill pressured the blonde-haired boy to talk again.

"I know, I know, I'm just joking. But you shouldn't burden yourself more, you got a lot of burden going on and… You do realize that Catherine already let go of that issue, don't you? Just let it go, nothing good is going to happen if you keep dwelling on that. She likes you, Mate, why don't you both just date each other already?"

"If it's only that simple… You do realize the implications if I did that, right?" Harold sighed before he took a huge sip of his canned coffee. "Ugh… I can't get used to this bitterness. Anyway what are you doing here? Training?"

"Unfortunately." Bill nodded sadly, "... Well to answer the latter, I just finished, I saw you from afar so I decided that it won't hurt to stop by and say hi to my most profitable customer."

"Well, good for you, then… I don't know what should I do right now."

"You? Don't know what to do? Of all people, you!?"

"Shush, even I have my limits. Well, you do know that I was going to do an experiment on the rooftops, but after some deliberations, I really don't like the implications. I don't have to explain that, do I?"

"Well, you're a talented alchemist, I'll give you that… But most of your experiments either screams property damage or mass hospitalization, both even."

"Well, uh… It's a bit too blunt for my liking, but I can't deny that though… My wallet is currently too tight for my liking to think about how much compensation I would have to pay if such things actually happen."

Bill suddenly started to laugh. "Haha… Harold… Oh my… Hahaha… You? Oh my god, the end is nigh…" In his laugh, the blonde-haired teen even spilled some of his coffee to the grass below as he laughed his ass off.

"I should've known you would react like this…" Harold shook his head disapprovingly. "I used almost all of my money for 'that'."

As the word finally reached Bill's ear, the laugh and the smile from his face also finally cease to appear. "You… What? No, you're pulling my leg here, mate. Tell me you're joking."

"Well, I had to pull some strings here and there if that could make you feel better." Harold took another sip of the black coffee. "Gosh, this is so bitter, do you really drink this?"

Harold's complaint, however, fell on deaf ears as Bill started to laugh again, this time nervously. "Ha...Ha... Haha… Oh, bollocks… You're going places aren't you, rich boy? Oh my…"

"Can we pretend that I never said that? Let's play Indian Poker instead."

"Now we're talking, so you want me to come to your room later or?"

"NO! Absolutely not. If you want to do it, we're doing it in your room." Harold vehemently denied the offer.

"Um… Why not? You're not hiding those kinds of 'books' are you?"

"Oh, I would have no issue inviting you if that's the problem, it's my roommate… He's a bit… Uh... unpleasant to be around, to put it lightly."

"Fine, fine… Just don't cry when you lose all right?"

"Oh, you're so going down, Bill."

Last edited:

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
Years

Harold Whiterune

Day 4, Part 2
Chips
"Well, it looks like it's another win for me. You're one step closer to the punishment, again." Bill smiled widely after he looked at his king of spades which had bigger value compared to Harold's nine of hearts.

"Why did I suggested this in the first place?" Harold grimaced looking at the abysmal state of his remaining chips. Few more losses and it's canvas time again.

"Draw!" After both of them put in their ante of one chip towards the pot, the mages drew one card from their allotted deck, which was immediately moved to their forehead without them seeing their own card as per the rule of Indian Poker.

Six of spades? This could be good… Harold tried his best poker face impression to hide his confidence of winning the round. Even if he didn't know what card he had on his forehead, but there's a lot of cards that have bigger value compared to Bill's six of spades. With that in mind, he started the round aggressively.

"I'll raise." Harold confidently put three chips into the pot.

"Really, another aggressive play? Well, it's not like I dislike it or something, I honestly rather play nice but if you really want to do this, I'm not going to stop you." Bill casually threw nine chips to the table.

"...You do realize I only have six chips left, right?"

"And so? You can fold and run like a chicken like you always do." Bill smirked, enjoying the advantageous situation he was in.

"Well, I don't know anymore, if you're purposefully taunting me so I bet all of my chips, or you actually try to make me think that way."

"Well, who knows? Not even I know." The blonde-haired man shrugged, angering his playing partner who already had enough of his smug look.

"You know what, screw this. I'm all in."

After Harold put all of his chips on the pot, both of them revealed their cards.

"Ahaha… Another win for me! Wooo!" Bill happily swept the chips with his hands, while Harold shook his head in disappointment.

"I should have known…" Resigned to his fate, Harold removed his glasses and swept up his hair clearing his forehead for the punishment Bill prepared for him.

"Well since I already filled up the spaces on your cheeks, let's see… Hmm… I guess this will do, I-M I-N-F-E-R…" Bill continued to spell cheerfully as he wrote 'I'm Inferior to Bill.' on Harold's forehead. At this point, the poor man's face is already filled with a ton of marks from Bill's signature to even a crudely drawn magic circle.

Just as Bill finished his so-called masterpiece, the door was opened by a red-haired boy with a blue shirt and short pants. He carried some snacks he bought from the nearby vending machine.

"I'm back, so how's the game going?"

"Ah, thanks for the snacks, Steve. Well about the game, you can see for yourself, no?" Bill smirked smugly.

"Yeah, I should've known better than to ask, haha."

"Ha...Ha… Real funny, you guys." Harold stood up and walked towards the bathroom where he tried to wash off the ink drawings on his face.

"So, as I understand you both are mages, right? I already know Bill's forte is on camouflage magic. But what is yours, Harold?" Steve showed curiosity towards his new friend.

"Uh… That's a bit… Uh, complicated. I'll let Bill explain that for you."

"How should I explain it, I guess he's a jack-of-all-trades. Although his main forte is not in the field of magic, it's alchemy."

"Alchemy? Whoa…" Steve gasped as he finally met an actual alchemist in person, he wondered what kind of things Harold could do with his ability.

"I hate to break your imagination, but I'm basically a magical herbalist!" Screamed Harold from the bathroom.

"Yeah... Yeah… Sure…" Bill started eating his potato chips.

"Darn, you guys are cool… Compared to you guys, I'm just…" Steve laughed awkwardly.

Harold who just finished washing his face hesitated to talk, but Steve's expression changed his mind. With a hesitant heart, he finally opened his mouth. "Don't be so down, just be glad you're not spending significant time during your youth trapped inside a basement lab. You're probably one of the few people that told what we dabble in is cool, most of the people just told us that we're nutjobs, which I can't totally deny haha..."

"Well say it for yourself, what I did was totally cool," Bill replied to Harold's claim.

"I dare you to say that to our neighbors, Bill. They called the Scotland Yard on our arses. All because of the lousy gun you made caused too much noise, I've already had soundproofing installed, yet it was still loud as hell."

"Not cool, Mate. The fact you installed the soundproofing yourself is... Hey! My crisps!" Bill yelled as the bag of potato chips flew away from his hand by a gust made by wind magic, the bag was then masterfully caught by Harold.

"It's mine now. Mmm… The crisps are quite tasty." Harold took a huge portion from Bill's bag of chips.

"You little…"

"Catch me if you can!" Harold stuck out his tongue while pulling down his left eyelid mocking Bill.

"You've done it now, you Knobhead!" Bill chased Harold who was kept dodging while eating the chips, all while Steve who was watching on the sidelines laughed loudly. It was a fun moment for them, not for the next-door dorm room owner though, as he quickly complained in anger due to the noise causing the ruckus to stop immediately.

Last edited:
Years
Hael Clar
Classroom

Hael, his mind in a comfortable blur, found himself standing outside of a classroom - his homeroom he was pretty sure. He sighed, leaning against the wall. He wasn't drunk out of his mind, but at that moment, standing there in his human form, he wished he was. He wasn't entirely sure what had prompted him to approach his teacher so soon, but here he was.

From inside the room, Hael heard the scraping of seats on the floor and the clatter of learning materials being scooped up as the students within climbed to their feet and, the door flying open, began to file out. He noticed a handful of the second years giving him dirty looks, but he couldn't remember doing anything to specifically offend any of them.

"Well," Hael said to himself, "I guess it's time to get a move on with all this."

The teacher in question turned his head around the corner as if he was expecting his young student. Despite that, he tried to seem surprised. "Hael? What a surprise. Did you need me for something?" Ryuu asked while combing his fingers through his dark green, short hair.

"I guess," Hael commented, rather awkwardly entering the room as the last of the second years made their way out. "You're a fairy too, yeah?"

Ryuu hesitated to answer his question at first but soon made up his mind. "Yes. What about it?"

"The whole point of me bothering coming here…" Hael paused for a moment. He was there on a whim, he hadn't really planned on having this meeting. He didn't even know this man, even if he was his teacher. He decided to start small. "Is to learn deeper magic than I already know. I can manipulate the earth just fine, but I want to push further than that. A lot further. You made plants before. How'd you do it?"

Ryuu hesitated again. Plants weren't something a normal fairy could do on a whim. He had been careless but was determined to keep going. "A lot of practice and control in your respective element. Since we're both Earth fairies, it shouldn't be impossible for you. It just takes some dedication." The teacher glanced towards a wilting flower pot at the window. He stood up and made his way towards it, only to rest his hand above the flower. "Spectate." Ryuu concentrated on the flower and within seconds the wilting flower was back at being in full bloom.

Hael grimaced. He had been hoping for more of an explanation than a demonstration. Still, he felt like he was getting the general vibe. He focused on the flower himself and watched it twitch for a moment before the pot it was in shattered, the dirt within suddenly surging out in all directions and making a mess on the windowsill and floor. Hael's grimace deepened into a frown. "Well shit."

Ryuu chuckled. "You got the general idea. The problem you're having is that instead of focussing your mana on the soil, you should focus it on the roots of the flower. Your mana has the ability to give plants the nutrients they need to grow." Ryuu explained. "Try again."

"Is that going to be a problem with the flower no longer being in the pot and all?"

"We'll clean that up later."

"Not what I was asking, but whatever." Hael turned his attention to the plant again, focusing on filtering his mana into the plant itself. The plant twitched again, growing ever so slightly before falling limp once more.

"I see… I almost forgot." Ryuu scratched his head. "Hael, would it be possible to enter a short-term contract with me? Make it last until after the flower has bloomed." Ryuu smiled warmly at his young student. For a moment he had forgotten that fairies only can showcase their stronger magical energy after a contract has been signed.

"I'm sorry," Hael said, his eyes going wide with surprise, "Could you repeat that. I thought you just asked me to make a contract with you over something as stupid as a flower. That couldn't have actually been the case though, because teachers are meant to be intelligent."

Ryuu chuckled. "Fairies' magical power increases when a contract has been made. It's possible you are able to make this flower grow once we've made a short term contract. It shouldn't be a problem, right?" Ryuu asked kindly. "I can't teach you how to focus your mana when you're not able to use your ability to the fullest."

"Are you out of your mind?!" Hael snapped, "You shouldn't fuck around with contracts over something this trivial. I can use my ability just fine without doing something so fucking mental. I can't even… how do you… what the hell were you thinking?!"

Ryuu looked puzzled. He had never met a fairy that was so against making contracts. He was quiet for a moment but then seemed to be deep in thought. "This is utterly strange. Making contracts releases the full potential of yo-... I mean our species. What seems to be the problem, Hael? Why do you seem to loathe the very concept of contracts so much?" Ryuu asked again.

"Oh, I don't know," Hael replied, "Maybe because they're dangerous?! Contracts are unpredictable, volatile magic that can just as easily fuck you over as produce the result you want and they're binding. I'm not risking that to make a flower grow. Nobody should."

Hael turned and started walking for the door, already rummaging around in his bag in search of his flask.

Ryuu closed his eyes and sighed. "Contracts are not binding. Every wish that has been granted can be retrieved. It's just not as easy as making the wish itself." He turned towards the window and the flower on the ground. "Small contracts aren't dangerous. Especially when it only involves a flower. Bigger wishes, however, have the ability to become unpredictable and dangerous just as you said." Ryuu turned around towards the young student. "But this isn't something a fairy as young as you should have had experience with. Hael, have you made such a contract with someone in the past?" Ryuu's kind expression turned a bit more serious.

Hael stopped just in front of the door as it mysteriously shut itself before he could cross it. He paused his search for his gin and turned back towards his teacher. "We are not going there. What do you mean contracts aren't binding? I've never heard of a contract being broken before."

Hael scowled at Ryuu, torn between an intense desire to get far away from the older fairy where he could proceed to get very drunk and an equally strong need to find out more about what the teacher had said.

Ryuu chuckled again. "Of course you've heard heard of it. Most fairies hide their past mistakes." The teacher crossed his arms and seemed to be fairly amused with himself. "In any case, there have been fairies who have broken contracts. I once had a friend who did. The smaller the results of the contract are, the easier it is to unbind one." Ryuu made his way back to the desk and sat down in his chair. He took out a small book that looked so old, it could be an old journal. "It is significantly harder to unbind a contract that has a major impact on someone or the world around us but doesn't that make it more fun to search for the requirements?"

"I think we have very different ideas of fun," Hael said. "I've got a lot to think about. You going to open the door?"

Ryuu seemed to think for a bit, then waved his hand nonchalantly which opened the door towards the hallways. "Don't forget that I'm your teacher. I'm always available for questions, as are all the other teachers."

"Right." Hael exited the room as fast as he could without breaking out into a run.​

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years

Rin Wrangell
Day 4 - Room #4
Written with machomuu as Karma
Yuki Onna - 17 - ♂
"H-Hey! What are you… Wake up, Karma!" She shivered as a cold hand touched her shoulder. Her eyes shot open and she jumped up, only to take stock of the situation and where she was and immediately mellow out.

"Oh, it's you," she muttered with a heavy drip of deadpan. "Y'know, it isn't honestly the best surprise waking up to the sweet embrace of a damn tundra."

"B-but you were grinding your teeth and talking in your sleep a-and you didn't really look fine!" Rin hastily explained, retracting his hand quickly after the contact. "I know it wasn't good but at least it worked."

Karma looked at Rin from the side and bit her tongue. She wanted to go on a tirade about how, for once, her dream didn't abruptly end because of her internal clock or anything like that. For once, she was actually getting somewhere, but because of him she was being held back. Just as she was ready to go off, her phone vibrated. Twice. She read the messages to herself, sighed dejectedly after a few moments, and after dropping her phone she avoided contact with her icy roommate.

"Thanks," she responded, clicking her tongue. "Next time, though, just let me sleep."

"Wait a second… this has gone on for a while. Do you have nightmares or stuff? That was… worrying I'd say." Rin didn't grab Karma or anything, but tried his best to build up a conversation and get some answers from her.

To be honest, Rin was expecting a much worse reaction. Karma seemed still very phazed by the previous days' realization - the realization of being a Yokai - and that only added up to her already complicated attitude. At the same time, part of Rin was expecting a much more comprehensive reaction, some attempt to let him in onto her thoughts. But whatever this was… checking the phone and turning away, well… it really didn't satisfy either of his predictions.

"I am your roommate after all, and I wanna be a passable one…"

"It's…not you," Karma started, almost unconsciously. "It's not you, it's me, it's this!" She motioned around the room with her finger. "I can barely communicate with my girlfriend even though we said we would keep in touch, I'm in a school filled with freaks just like me, and all the while I've been trying to ignore the fact that there are actually decent people around and I'm treating you all like I was scared to be treated." Upon realizing what she'd blurted out, she sat back and looked at her phone again. "Which...I would've told her if messages didn't take five years to transmit. But now I've basically written a book about my psyche to the icy boy that makes me reconsider my stance on air conditioning."

"I-I see…" Rin muttered - but one may argue he was actually lying. "Like, I know, the first days are hard for everyone. But…" the snowman sighed. "Why do you say we're all freaks? We're different Youkai but… that doesn't mean much, right?"

"That's a loaded question." Karma thought for a moment. "Honestly, it doesn't really feel like anything I could say would hold any value here. This is literally a world of youkai." She somewhat excitedly sat up and pointed toward the window. "That guy? I'm pretty sure I've killed him in Castlevania before, and he's walking arm-in-arm with a cat girl for God's sake. There's zero sense of normality in this world." She looked back at Rin and motioned in an exaggerated fashion. "I'm talking to a goddamned snowman and I just...I just don't understand how you all survived like this up to this point when I only barely did."

"Uhm, I… I can say it's been hard for me, too!" Rin chuckled, getting slightly more at ease. "Look, I come from a really barren place in Alaska, this is not my mother language, and… I have no idea what all of those things are." he continued, vaguely pointing at her smartphone. "Or what this Castle Rain thing is."

"PFFFT CASTLE RAIN?" She squealed with an unhealthy amount of incredulity. She laughed, holding it in best she could. "It's just a video game series I grew up with. Going along with this whole freak thing, I didn't really go out much as a kid, I was scared to. And forget having friends." She rolled her eyes. "Preeeeetty sure that's the natural progression of a nerd, actually. I can't really blame you for not knowing since all I know that Alaska has is snow and snowmen, apparently." She chuckled. "Hell, until, like, seventh grade I was convinced it was part of Canada."

"What did you expect, Alaska is… snow and snowmen, for all I know. And humans, but I've never seen them anyways. While you… you lived just like one right?" Rin asked, still trying to compute all of that information. He didn't really expect Karma to be so talkative, but he surely wasn't disappointed by it.

"Well, I lived most of my life not knowing that I could 'turn off' the eyeball on my forehead that made me stand out like a sore thumb, so ironically I'd say no." She ruffled her hair slightly. "I mean, I guess I did. I went to school like a normal kid. Went on vacations like a normal kid. Went shopping like a normal kid. All while wearing a headband, of course." After this, she fell silent. She stared blankly at the floor, seemingly lost in thought, and then looked up at Rin.

She stood up abruptly, still with a blank expression on her face. "Nah, I don't think I've ever felt human in my life." She gave a wry smile. "I need to go throw up. But thanks for making me feel like I fit in for once." She sighed and started walking out of the room, waving from behind and saying, "After all, what's a monster among monsters?"

"Yes but…" The snowman breathed heavily. "Y-you're welcome, I guess."

Even with all of the doubts in his head, Rin couldn't help but let Karma go and give her some more time alone. Not fitting in, as she said… that felt relatable, especially after what happened with those two second year students, even if Karma's background - a life amongst humans - appeared to be completely different than his. He followed her with his eyes until the line of sight was broken, then just stayed in the room and once again, tried to process the whole conversation. "So many differences for being both monsters…"

Geras

Roleplayer
Years

Viviana Ingram Stress and Relief

Vivi looked back over her climax. It was maybe the third time, making small changes each time she read over it, but it still fucking sucked. She'd been hoping to find one thing she could fix that would instantly make it better, the one flaw holding it back. Maybe it was the kills, being a step down from what she'd pulled off in the science lab or even the pool. Or maybe it was the twist, trying too hard to be different in a genre that's already done it all.

Part of it was certainly her inexperience with writing horror, and writing in general, trying to take the things that look good in movies and just mashing them onto the page. If she was being honest, what she wanted to make was a movie rather than a book. But that seemed like so much extra work, work that she felt would be wasted when she never intended to actually release the thing. And at this point she'd already put so much work into the novel version that it would be an even bigger waste not to finish it. Not to mention the question of how she'd even get a cast and crew for it living at that godforsaken academy.

It was always the same internal questioning that always ended the same way. And between the mental debating and her literary frustrations, she was getting really pissed off. She'd come here to relieve some stress and was doing a terrible job of it. She closed her laptop and removed her earbuds, opting to worry about it some other time.

Vivi stretched and leaned back in her seat at the back of the cafe. In her lap was a newly-purchased stuffed polar bear she'd affectionately named Billy. She closed her eyes and tried to relax, holding Billy tight.

She heard someone come out of the bathroom and start complaining to her friend, sounding absolutely miserable. Vivi smiled. She'd talked shit to her friend about Vivi and Billy earlier, probably thinking she wouldn't hear them, or wouldn't understand them as a foreigner. The punishment was a quick scratch with her envenomed nails. Buckle up, bitch, she thought. Your night's just getting started.

Vivi stayed like that for a bit. She was successful in calming down, but she was also getting bored. It was almost sunset, so she figured she should start looking for some people to play with. She finished her coffee and got to work.

Anyone wandering the forest-side town that autumn night would be treated to quite the sight. A young woman strutting confidently about, dressed in business-like attire complete with a pencil skirt and a blazer. She had a pair of sunglasses atop her head, and a pair of high heels notably not on her feet.

They were being carried by the young man beside her, one of several in this girl's entourage. Each one was holding something, be it shopping bags, expensive sweets, or even a stuffed polar bear in one man's case. Whenever someone would stare or ask what was going on, the young woman would tell them to mind their own business or forget they saw anything. And most would obediently do just that.

"Fuck, I missed humans," said Vivi to one of her men, or rather the bear he was holding. "'New horizons' my ass, I don't know what mom sees in that stupid Youkai Realm." She spared a moment of pity for youkai like… Honda? Ganta? Kenta. Like Kenta who somehow hadn't enjoyed them like this. Just a moment of pity though, as she had better things to worry about. Like finding some good meat, her eyes peeled for something like a steakhouse or a barbeque.

"You look like you're having fun!"

Vivi's head whipped to the source of the voice suddenly beside her. It was a woman, slender and a good bit taller than her. She was very pretty actually, like a model. Vivi looked back at her boy collection and figured she could use some variety.

"Oh yeah, tons," Vivi answered with a smirk. "Why don't you join me? We'll have some fun together."

"Sure," the woman replied. "Where are we going?"

"Right now? To eat, but don't worry about where we go. Don't talk, either. You humans are a lot cuter with your mouths shut."

"Really? I think that depends on the person, myself."

Vivi raised an eyebrow. This happened sometimes, be it because her words were vague or the target had particularly strong willpower. The solution was to come on stronger, since the brainwashing came from her words. That was usually a bad idea in crowded places since it could give her away to people outside her range, but it just so happened that everyone around her already belonged to her.

She cleared her throat and looked the woman dead in the eyes. "I'm telling you to stop talking."

The woman stared back. That was the blank expression Vivi was used to seeing from these humans. But then the woman leaned in closer, her lips curling in a smirk of her own. "You're being rather rude, don't you think?"

Vivi backed away, ordering one of her men to get between her and this strange woman. She laughed, and gently pushed the man aside. Vivi was frozen in shock, completely forgetting to give him further orders.

She gently lifted Vivi's chin with her long, thin fingers. "You didn't think you were the only youkai here, did you? Certainly looks that way, from the way you walked around town without a care in the world! I bet the others noticed you too, but it's no big deal unless it makes the humans panic so they probably didn't say anything."

"W-w-what do you want?" Vivi managed to stammer.

"Me? I already got what I want. And thank you very much for giving it to me!" She slid her fingers off of Vivi and took a step back. "I figured you were either a succubus or a lamia but I'm pretty sure it's the latter now. That means just whipping it out now's probably a bad move. I'll just try it out later though, I can't wait to see what I can do with a tail like that!"

"...Huh?"

"Oh, nothing," said the woman. She winked at Vivi and started walking away. "I wouldn't have minded hanging out, you know, but you don't seem like the social type. Good luck with whatever you plan on doing with all those guys!"

Vivi was frozen. Terrified, furious, confused, and humiliated. She looked back at her group of useless humans. Useless through no fault of their own, though Vivi would never admit that. She reflected on the day so far, at all the youkai probably watching her the whole time. She began to dread the next school day more than she already did.

Vivi clenched her fist and started taking deep breaths. She already lived in constant fear at the academy. This was supposed to be her chance to unwind, her self-care time. She wasn't going to let some smug bitch youkai take that from her. So she was going to just cool off and keep going with her little taste of freedom.

"You," Vivi pointed at one of her minions. "Go get a sewing kit." The guy dashed off on his mission. Vivi, meanwhile, snatched Billy from his keeper and searched for an abandoned alley to take him. He was still new to the family, but it seemed it was already time for Billy to do his duty.

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024

Lena, Rei, Haruka

"... Mm. Okay. I will. I know. Love you too, Papa. Bye." Rei hung up her phone and slid it back into her purse, continuing through the town with Lena and Haruka. Her father had promised to call every day since she left for school, and thus far he'd been following through. Rei wouldn't have been beat up over him not calling so much, but she couldn't be the one to say it. So the task was left to whenever her mother got around to reining him in.

"He sounded pretty serious," her fairy friend noted, having heard the urgency in her father's voice. "Did something happen?"

"Cousins."

"You don't get along?"

"Mm."

Her father's side of the family was never happy about him marrying outside of the clan's sphere of influence. The resulting ire toward Rei and her mother, of course, was then taught to his brothers' children. Those children, Rei's cousins, were attending the same school. And being an overprotective dad as he was, Papa offered to personally come to school and teach them a lesson if they ever caused any trouble.

Rei's speech habits got in the way when she tried to explain this to the other two, and she didn't actually say much in the end. Although, somehow Lena picked up enough from the few words provided to fill in the blanks. It almost scared Rei sometimes when she did that.

For Lena's part, she felt being able to figure out what the neko was saying was perfectly natural, but Haruka interjected, "No, I'm pretty sure that's just you."

Back to what they were doing, Haruka was showing them around the town by the forest as their senior. Since the town was the most accessible place from the school, they expected to be coming here regularly.

Unfortunately for Rei, the local textiles shop had a selection unsuited to her needs—not entirely unexpected. A member of the fashion club mentioned that they mostly ordered their materials online from shops they already knew. She quickly resigned herself to having to go back home for materials, and the group moved on.

The girls were happy to know there was a well-kept arcade in town. If they wanted a day trip, though, going further out remained a more appealing prospect.

Last for the day, Haruka took the two freshmen to a café she recommended. There were maybe two or three other such places in the town, not counting Starbucks, but this one had the widest variety of pastries and other sweets. However, once they were seated Haruka received some mildly dubious looks from her friends. At least, that's what she saw.

Because the waitstaff were dressed in maid outfits.

It wasn't one of those places where the actual service was getting to talk with a cute girl for an hour. The clothes are just what the owner liked. One of her classmates happened to work at the café as well, being the one who introduced Haruka to it last year. She even happened to be the one they flagged down for their order.

She didn't need to defend herself. She just started doing it. She finally settled down after their order reached the table, and the trio savored what they got.

Lena picked the standard Japanese-style cheesecake off the menu. Since it had no base to keep it all together, the moment it was set on her tongue it began to fall apart and spread through her entire mouth. The only thing in her head for a moment was how incredibly light and fluffy the cake was, yet it had a rich, deep sweetness that kept her from floating away. It was like they'd captured the sensation of taking a bite out of a cloud and chilled it to perfection.

Rei's shortcake was no different, opting for a similarly safe approach to the new experience. The milder cake base was perfect for her palate, and satisfyingly squishy. She took a second just pressing on it with her fork and watching it slowly regain its original shape. When she dug in, she felt the gentle caress of whipped cream melting along her tongue, and it balanced out against the more complex candy-like sweetness of the fresh strawberries the shop used.

Haruka watched the two enjoy themselves in bliss with a smug grin on her face, as if the accomplishment was her own, then started on her tres leche. She was used to this by now. For a bit of fun, she fed Lena a bite, while Rei sniped a forkful of the cheesecake, and it started all over again.

Last edited:
Years
Hael Clar
Dorm

Hael, returned to the comfort of his fairy appearance, sat on top of his bed, leaning against the wall with his eyes shut. His head was pounding, partly because he had upped his intake of alcohol and partly because his brain was struggling to handle the information drop he had just received. He wasn't entirely sure he could or should believe much of what his teacher had said to him, but he couldn't get it out of his head either. At the very least, he was glad that his irritating roommate wasn't present. He didn't want company while he tried, and failed, to process everything.

He lifted his flask toward his lips, the small movement causing his head to spin, and then let his hand drop. He could hear the faint sloshing of a scarily small quantity of liquid within as, with another wave of disorientation, his hand thudded softly against the covers on the bed.

"What the fuck?!" Hael slurred, not talking to anybody in particular, just voicing his confusion and frustration to the world. There was no way that what Ryuu had said could have been true. He had never in all his years heard of a fairy that had successfully reversed the effects of a wish and he had sure as hell tried to find one. He couldn't possibly have found out what should have been impossible was, in fact, very much within the realms of possibility after spending a week - or something like that, time had lost all meaning to Hael half a flask ago - at the ridiculous school.

Hael growled, shooting up into the air at a sharp angle, veering so far to the side that he nearly smacked into the wall of the dorm room. As the room spun around him, he raised his hand, reaching for his magic and aiming it at his roommate's bed. The bed shifted slightly in place, maybe, but nothing else happened.

Hael started laughing hysterically, uncontrollably, rolling through the air. He lost all sense of orientation for a moment as the laughter kept bubbling out of him uncontrollably. He stopped beating his wings, allowing himself to drop through the air onto the bed below him. Or at least, he tried to, but in his fit of manic laughter he had moved quite a way forward and was no longer properly lined up with the soft safety of his mattress.

He dropped, missing the mattress and smacking his head hard against the frame before colliding with the floor. Hael was faintly aware of the clattering of his flask to the ground next to him and of the notion that he probably should have been in a lot more pain than he was via the now tripled thundering inside his head.

The fairy laid flat on his back on the ground, gazing at the ceiling while he waited for the room to reach equilibrium with him.

"And apparently fairies who've made pacts have more power. Couldn't even fuck up my roommate's bed or land properly in my own." At least, that's what the sloppy torrent of garbled sounds that came out of Hael's mouth meant, more or less.

He slid his hand across the ground, eventually finding the cool metal of his flask. He picked it up and held it over his open mouth, but was met with only droplets. He let his head fall to the side, taking a moment to register the small spill next to him. Evidently, the contents of his flask had not stayed inside their container during his mad spiral and subsequent freefall.

Hael growled again, instinctively lashing out with his magic again. This time, if he had the strength left to move, he would have jumped out of his skin. With a loud crash, a draw on Harold's side of the room crashed open and an enormous vine exploded out of it, rocketing across the room as it grew and slamming Hael's bed up onto its side against the wall. He heard a yelp from the room next door and a thud as the sudden loud noise next to someone's head caused them to apparently fall out of their own bed.

There was a torrent of expletives being directed at him through the wall of his dorm, but Hael didn't even register the words. Of course, when he wanted to, he couldn't make a flower grow. When he wasn't trying to do anything in particular… well now he had to deal with a comically large vine extending across the room and pressing his bed flat against a wall.

"I fucking hate school," Hael commented, proceeding to curl up in the middle of the floor.​

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
Years

Harold Whiterune

Day 4, Part 3
Harold and the Beanstalk

Ft. Hael Clar
Harold hummed happily to the tune of his favorite song. That day went better than he expected, then again he didn't have high hopes about this day anyway. Anything than utter disaster is a plus for him.

For some reason, he started to think that the knife teleporting antic he did last in the class last time was too much. That used to work really well with the kids around the neighborhood, so he wasn't expecting that kind of reaction.

Then again it'd been several years since he socialized with a large group of people he wasn't acquaintanced with. So he wouldn't be too surprised if they took it in the wrong way.

However, he had more important things to deal with than thinking about how his introduction went. With books he borrowed from the library tightly grasped in his hands, he opened the door to his room— Or so he would if he didn't get cold feet in front of the door.

"Should I even be here now?" Harold started to think twice about entering the room, especially considering his roommate's 'odd' personality. But then again what's the worst that could happen? He'll just set some barriers then both he and Hael could just deal with their own business in peace.

Harold opened the door, only to be greeted by a surprising sight.

"Bloody hell, man. Can't I enjoy a day in peace?"

Harold couldn't hide his annoyance from his face when he saw what appeared to be a giant vine sprouting out from the open drawer on his side of the room. Moreover, the vine seemed to be powerful enough to pin Hael's bed to the side of the room.

He wasn't looking forward to the explanation about the incident, but he felt that he should understand what the hell he had to deal with.

"Hael… What the hell have you done?"

Hael, rolled to face the door, barely shifting out of the fetal position he had cured himself into. The dark room was illuminated by the light from the hall behind his roommate, forcing his eyes into a pained squint.

"Gardening," Hael spoke, his words still coming out garbled from his inebriation, "What the hell do you want?"

"This is my drawer, in our room. What do you mean the hell you want?" Harold didn't bother to hide his disdain, as he put the books he borrowed on the table.

Hael hiccoughed, not bothering to sit up as Harold essentially stepped over him. "Maybe you plants keep in there."

He paused for a minute, feeling as though that sentence might not have come out as he intended. He then promptly ignored that thought. "Fucking wizard asshole."

Harold squinted his eyes as he heard the statement. He realized that either he liked it or not, he had to remove the vine as soon as possible, so he decided not to waste time insulting Hael and asked about something more productive instead. "Can you move your plant somewhere else, Mr. Green Thumb? Or perhaps I don't know… Make it disappear for good?"

Hael wasn't even entirely sure how he'd managed to make the stupid plant grow in the first place, now this dickhead wanted him to magic it away? Hael felt the pounding in his head increase. "Try setting it on fire."

Hael closed his eyes and adjusted his position slightly, as though trying to sleep on the floor.

"Good for nothing…" Harold muttered under his breath. He knew that he shouldn't hold any expectations for Hael, yet he still did like an idiot. Harold decided to handle the situation alone.

He didn't waste any time before he held one of the vine sections.

Hmm… This… Is a bit troublesome. Harold could feel faint magic from the thick vines. Cutting it to bits sounded cool… Like those cool swordsman from Japanese animations? But let's be real, it was a major pain to do.

"Incineration it is, then."

Harold imbued one of the knives in his possession with mana to make it sharper, before he pried the vines sticking on Hael's bed, the bed falling back to its usual position with a loud thud. Not long after, it was ready for disposal.

"I hope nobody sees this…" Harold stuck his head out of the window of his room to make sure no one would see him. He then swiftly put the vines out from the window with wind magic, suspending them in the air while he used fire magic at the same time to incinerate the vines.

"Gee… What a pain." Creating two magic circles at the same time wasn't too hard with the help of his knife that acts as a conduit, but the dark smoke emerging from the burning vines was definitely annoying.

To his surprise, a window was opened forcefully next to him, making a huge noise. Apparently, the neighbor next door wasn't too happy and decided to look at who the hell the person responsible was before he started to cuss loudly from his window.

"See, no problem," Hael said, groggily fluttering from the floor to his no-longer-vertical bed. "Tell that bastard next door to shut up while you're there."

"Piece of shit." Harold who was dealing with the cusses that were being said to his face was not happy with Hael's response. With the vines already disappearing into thin air due to the scorching heat, he took a deep breath before dispelling his magic.

Unfortunately for him, he still had one more issue to handle. The man next door didn't look quite happy even after the smoke dispersed.

"Excuse me, but can we talk? I was hoping that—"

"Talk!? You want to talk, huh!?"

"Listen, I'm not the one—"

"What!? You think I don't have any eyes!? I was enjoying my nap until you moron decided to grow a fucking plant in your room! Do you know what a pot is, huh!? You dumbass shit must think you're so—"

At that moment, Harold realized that there was no chance that his neighbor would shut up anytime soon. So obviously he did the best option possible in that situation. Which was flashing a big smile and...

He slammed the window shut.

Last edited:

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
Divine von Alter feat. Rin Wrangell

Whereas Rin still couldn't answer all his questions, some time spent thinking by himself made him better at explaining what his situation was. Not being used to write down notes or anything, he kept repeating words in his head for a while, scraping the bottom of the barrel that was his relatively limited vocabulary to find the best sounding ones and hoping not to forget them later.

Now, the question was who the Snowman would say all of those things to. He narrowed down his choices to Laguna, probably the classmate he was most in confidence with, or Karma, once again. She looked suddenly more approachable and wise… so to speak, after talking to her once. Or…

Divine! It had to be her. Plus, her behavior during their first lesson together only seemed to make her an even better choice. After walking aimlessly around the Academy, in search of her, Rin finally found Divine in the school grounds, and approached the girl with bright blue hair.

"Hey, Rin! Can I help you with something?" The blue haired woman asked the younger boy. Although her age and appearance wouldn't give away that she was supposed to be much older.

"Uhm, hello… yes." Rin hesitated, forgetting what he was about to say. "I-I talked with Karma before and… I don't know, it seems we're both out of place here."

Divine had a puzzled look written all over her face. "Huh? What do you mean out of place?" She asked with a confused smile. She did remember Karma being super angry at her for dousing her in water earlier this week and saying something strange about Youkai. "Could you explain?"

"I… uhm, I think… I'll try." Rin took a deep breath. "K-Karma seems to have lived like humans this whole time? She got in here and thought we are all monsters. And just w-wasn't feeling well about all that. As for me…" The Snowman shook his head. "E-everyone, not just Karma, knows a lot about humans and their lifestyle and all that. I don't. I don't even know what a phone is."

After a long, awkward pause, there still weren't that many words to choose from in Rin's mind. So, he just muttered: "What to do?"

Divine smiled warmly like she always did to reassure the young snowman. After, this wasn't the first time she had dealt with students like this. "Just relax. There's not much else you can do about it. It sometimes happens that youkai don't know much about humans. Watch them, study them and eventually live with them and coexist. That is what we're trying to teach you here." Divine explained. Though it has always juggled her mind that they were trying to teach these students to suppress their real identity in the human world. She knew it had it's reasons though.

Rin furrowed his brows. "W-watching humans?"

"Since it's weekend, now would be a good time to watch the humans in the town near the forest entry. Why don't you go there?"

"Well… sounds like it can help me with Karma and all but… I'll get spotted. I'm cold." He replies. "Not sure that's a good plan."

"Of course it is!" Divine clasped her hands. "If you feel uncomfortable going alone, I can always come with you. I will have to go as well anyway. My nephew and niece are coming over but they're late so they might be lost." She offered.

"Y-your… who?" Rin whispered, still awkwardly grimacing. "Nevermind… I'll come with you!" He then declared, trying to turn his smile from forced to more genuine. "I'm not sure… if this will help me get along with the other Yokai or Karma but I guess I can try it out."

"Then let me grab my bag and let's go!" Divine put her thumbs up before leaving shortly and coming back with a small purse holding her important woman things.

"That was… pretty fast!" Rin nodded as his teacher came back into the room. "But… wait, uhm… do I need anything important to visit the city?"

"You don't. Maybe a phone would be okay but you don't have one, do you?" Divine asked the younger student.

"Nope! But…" Rin recalled the moments he spent inside the plane that brought him to the Academy. "I'll still need a moment to get a few things in my room." Just a few minutes later, the Snowman was back with his red coat and a small backpack. Inside there was just some water and food, but it should've still been more than enough.

"A-alright, let's just go and get it over with…" Rin grimaced, facing towards Divine and trying to never lose sight of her from that moment onwards.

"I'll lead the way." Said Divine with a bright smile across her tiny soft pink lips.

And that's how the two ended up travelling to the outskirts of the Aokigahara forest bordering the small town that Divine often visited in her time off. She looked around to see if she could catch a glimpse of her niece and nephew but unfortunately did not see a sign of them. "Where would you like to go first? Have you ever visited a human town before?" Divine asked the younger student that tagged along.

Rin looked all around him with curiosity. "I think I did! But it was nothing like this. In fact, there were no humans." He sighed. It wasn't just that, of course: Alaskan mining outposts and Japanese residential towns wouldn't have much in common to begin with, as the whole environment, weather, and culture was miles apart. If this is the kind of place Karma and the others were from, then it was no surprise he felt so different.

"Is… this the kinda place where Karma and the others come from? It looks like another world. What do people even do here, how do they get food, how do they pass the time…?"

Divine smiled. "People do all kinds of things here. They come here to shop, to relax, to interact or to…" Divine stopped for a second. "Fall in love…" She finished rather sadly. For a few seconds she was quiet but she regained her cheerful self rather quickly for the sake of her student. "Anyway, there's a lot of things to do here. They got super delicious treats here too! What would you like to do first?"

"I… I don't really know where to begin!" Rin admitted, chuckling. "So… I'll trust you on this. Let's check that place out!"

"That is… way too many choices! I can't believe it. What are they even made of…" Rin was thinking aloud as he gushed at all the sweets on display. Well, his favorite of them all - the lollipop - didn't seem to be available, but even if it was, ordering one when there was so much other, better-looking stuff felt wrong.

"Well, do you have any suggestions? What would you pick, Divine?" The Snowman asked, still rather overwhelmed. "In any case… I have to admit, not making my own food is still something I'm not used to."

"I just can't leave this place without at least this!" The blue haired woman picked up a heart-shaped box with a red satin ribbon decorating it. It contained a chocolate form that one would call "truffle chocolate". The very sight seemed to make the woman happy. Her youthful appearance would make anyone forget she was a teacher, even for just a moment.

"I would also suggest these bon-bons! They're very good!" She showed a box to Rin.

"Looks like I'll be trying those out, then!" Rin smiled, slowly getting more at ease. "About that box though… can I ask… what will you do with it?"

"Oh! Those are present boxes. They're meant as gifts. I sometimes "gift" myself these though haha." Divine responded with a radiant yet cheeky smile as she rubbed the back of her head. "Maybe you can bring some along as gifts for classmates you really like?" She winked at the younger boy.

"Gifts, uh?" Rin let out a chuckle. "I think I know some people who would like this…"

"Then let's buy a few! I'm actually going to get some as well!" Divine started grabbing a few boxes and walked over towards the counter. She looked back at Rin and gave him a grin. "These aren't all for me, I promise."

"Oh, a-alright! But I will need…" Rin stops for a moment. "How much?"

Money management surely was not something he would get along with. He knew the basics of it but that was all theory, because he had never bought anything on his own. Basically, he didn't know the value of things, or the value of each coin. Not to mention that the numbers were all different depending on the country.

"Ah… I'll help you." Divine said and lightly pushed him towards the counter along with her.

With the both of them paying their snacks and presents, they headed out of the store. Only for Rin to be dragged into a new one shortly after. The two of them shopped for a while and Divine tried to show as many of the human traditions and knick-knacks as she could before the two of them headed back to the academy.

… Both of them dragged along quite a few bags back.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
Two birds and a fox.

Still asleep, no signs of waking yet. Kyosei stared at Laguna's snoozing face for an entire minute, his own ear and nose twitching as he recalled the dream he'd had. His roommate had been talked into a massive prank spree by a trio of manipulative students who convinced her none of it was mean and it had ended in her nearly drowning him. One single tail arched around his hip and loomed over the mermaid. After a brief hesitation the tail sank down and poked Laguna's nose…..and nothing happened, really. She just wiggled her nose and frowned for a moment. Kyosei matched that frown and wrinkled his brow, he'd need a bit more effort to get his vengeance.

The three tails remaining behind the youko's back alternately writhed and flicked in frustration, nervousness and curiosity but the tool of his 'prank' remained perfectly focused. Now the tailtip began to gently sway back and forth across Laguna's nose, mercilessly tickling the sniffer until she grumbled and softly swatted at it. Kyosei couldn't hold in the giggle. At last, revenge for his dreamt up mistreatment! She was squirming now, he let out a tiny quiet 'evil' cackle only for Laguna to mumble something and lazily wrap her arms around his tail. Kyosei's eyes bulged and he made a desperate scramble away only to fumble and flop pathetically to the floor.

Laguna rolled over onto her side and very slowly opened one eye part way. "Kyo? What are you doing on the floor. "Nothing, go back to sleep." He grumbled in defeat, laying the same tail that had been trying to pull a joke on her moments ago across her face. The warm floof and calming scent had her back out in moments.

Ok so the petty vengeance was a failed and paltry attempt, but it was Saturday, dammit. Saturday means fun! Adventure! One must take advantage of every day off from school! Or so Kyosei's mother had told him, at least. That's why he'd decided to visit the town near Youkai Academy. It had been several years since he visited a human settlement, he wasn't as mischievous as when he was a kit but surely he could find some entertainment there. It really didn't take long for him to get there and once he did he immediately began to wander around, examining every curiosity and interesting sight that caught his eye.

The second Kyosei was distracted by a scent that seemingly was coming from a small ramen shop , he managed to bump into a relatively slender boy with green hair, dropping him to the floor. "Ouch…" The green haired lad rubbed his back. "Noel! Are you okay!?" A girl with green hair immediately tended to him. The two teenagers looked very similar, so much that it was obvious that they were siblings. They looked so similar in fact, they could very well have the same face. "Look out where you're going!" The girl immediately snarled at Kyosei. "I'm okay Sophia… Help me get up." the boy whose name was Noel spoke to his sister who then helped him back on his feet.

"Oh, oh no! I'm so sorry!" Kyosei exclaimed, wishing he'd been fast enough to help the boy up himself. "Sorry I just..smelled some really good ramen and turned too fast, then… My nose is very sensitive and sometimes it feels like it takes over my higher brain functions…Did you scrape anything?" When he asked the question Kyosei was already examining this Noel person, looking way too closely at his face, then his arms, then his legs. "I carry medicine with me whenever I'm out and about, and I found some good herbs on the way here, I can make it better if you're hurt at all!" The worry on his face was blown out of proportion and he could feel a twinge in the top of his head. His ears were trying very hard to pop out and flatten themselves in shame and concern, it took all of his self control to keep his appearance purely human.

"I'm okay, really…" Noel spoke shyly, rubbing the back of his head. His sister was the complete opposite and seemed enthusiastic, as if she had forgotten that her brother was pushed to the floor only moments ago. "Medicine? Good herbs? Wow you really are prepared!" Sophia clasped her hands together and was almost in Kyosei's face with her curiosity. "Are you from around here? You don't sound like you're from around here." She asked, taking a step back and resting her chin on the back of her hand while her elbow rested on her other arm.

Kyosei tilted his head. "No, I'm not from around here. I suppose I'd be from a more rural area in the countryside. I used to visit towns like this a lot but in recent years I've been more reclusive. He felt his ears aching desperately to twitch at her invasion of his space, but he'd been no better only moments ago. "Noel and Sophia, was it? It's nice to meet you, my name is Kyosei."

"Kyosei, huh? So you do have a japanese name!" Sophia waved her finger around and playfully winked before resting her hand on her heart and bowing. "Sophia de la Rey, at your service. This here is Noel, my younger brother." At that moment. Noel bowed as well. "Noel de la Rey. She calls me younger brother but she's merely 2 minutes older." He gently spoke. "As you can guess from our names, we're not from around here as well."

"Yes, my parents are originally from Japan." Kyosei explained. "They have their own way of doing things so I can't say I was raised totally Japanese, but I have been taught many Japanese customs like tea ceremonies and such… and now I'm back to go to school here as well after being away for some time." He tilted his head at the twins and smiled curiously. "Where are you two from?"

The twins glanced at each other and nodded before turning their faces to their new acquaintance. "We're from Korea. Our mother is Korean but our father is from France." Sophia explained but had a sad expression that she tried to hide with a smile while doing so. Noel rested his hand on her tiny shoulders in an attempt to comfort her. "We lost them a long time ago. We're taking care of each other now." Noel said. Sophia sighed and sprung up. "Anyway! What school are you attending? There are not many schools in this area." her curiosity showing.

The disguised Youko blanched immediately. "O-Oh it's...just a little place, neither here nor there… It uh… It's more like a social thing to try and help me get more used to interacting with people again. Too much time in the boonies, you know., I'm not supposed to tell anybody about it because they don't want people who aren't part of the classes wandering in and disrupting things. It's a very delicate curriculum."

Sophia raised an eyebrow at the very dodgy answer the boy in front of her was giving. It was obvious he was trying to hide something. She shook her head and returned to the situation with a lovely smile spreading across her lips. "Well, now that we're here anyway, let's go eat some ramen!" The girl suggested. Noel seemed to be internally panicking at the thought. "U-Uh Sophia? L-Let's not bother him too much, shall we…?" He tried to convince her but she wouldn't budge. "How about it, Kyosei? Weren't you enchanted by the scent?"

Kyosei smiled. "Why, yes, I was. It was the very smell that distracted me so thoroughly I bumped into poor Noel. I have to watch out more in the future. It's been a long time since I had a bowl of good ramen, I think that's an excellent idea." He didn't have a lot of pocket money but some ramen wouldn't break the bank.

"Excellent!" Sophia called out. She walked towards either of the boys and held her arms intertwined with theirs to pull them along. "Let's go!"

Once inside what seemed like a small ramen shop on the outside, inside was a bit more spacious than one would suggest. Everything was made from wood and the chairs at the bar had red leather cushions on them, as did all the other chairs. Sophia picked a table near the window and sat down, Noël sighing at his defeat and sitting down right next to them while Kyosei sat in front of them. Almost immediately a young japanese man with dark brown hair arrived at their table. "Good evening. Here are the menu cards. Would you like something to drink in the meantime?" He asked, laying three menu cards in front of them and resting his eyes on Sophia. "I'd like a Calpis soda!" Sophia spoke dignified and grabbed the card. The man didn't seem to be writing anything down though. He stared at the girl, seemingly being captivated. It wasn't until Noël coughed and spoke out his order that was the same as his sister that the young man started to write down the orders. "T-Two Calpis Soda then… and you sir?" He turned to Kyosei.

These two sure stand out, don't they? Once again Kyosei felt his ears twitching and was glad they couldn't be seen. "I would like some green tea, please." He dipped his head and smiled softly with his eyes closed. "With some mint, if you have any." Human body language is so much more subtle that he now felt like he truly understood why his family always knew what each other were thinking implicitly and most people had to read deeper with each other. He picked up the menu in front of him and began to peruse it, thinking maybe the next time he saw his mother he'd see if maybe he could actually lie to her successfully while in his human form.

"Alright, I will be back with your order." The young man shot one last glance at Sophia before he went back to the kitchen but seemed rather surprised when seeing Kyosei's dark orange hair that progressively becomes lighter orange at the tips. Like fire. The ramen shop seems to be having rather odd guests today.

"You seem to be distracting them again." Noël told his sister without bothering as much as to look at her. "Of course we stand out dear brother. We're Korean-French. We look like tourists here. Besides, it's not just us." Sophia replied and shot a glance to the boy. "I-I don't think… No matter…" Noël soon gave up but Sophia could hardly contain her giggling. It didn't take long for the waiter to return with their drinks. "So Kyosei, what brought you to town today?" Sophia asked their new friend in front of them gleeing from pure curiosity.

"Curiosity more than anything else." Kyosei began frankly. "My school is strictly boarding-only and I've been in there the past few days. I really just wanted to see the town and spend some time outside of school. I'm not a very social person so people watching and plant-tending are much more my speed, and even I can only spend so much time in a greenhouse before I get antsy." He sipped his tea, revelling in the relaxing coolness the mint added to it. His breath always smelled of mint but now with his tea each sigh of contentment he let out spread the scent and a cooling sensation over the table.

"French and Korean, hmm? That's an interesting split of ancestry. I certainly understand being looked at strangely, even if it's to a lesser extent. Most people assume my hair is dyed thanks to the strange colors but it really is just the colors of both of my parents blending together… even if it's in an abnormal way." He blinked when it struck him how much he was talking with these two and he wondered what was making him so vocal, but shrugged it off after a moment and another sip. "Why did the two of you choose today to visit, if I may ask?".

Suddenly, it was quiet. Noël and Sophia broke the silence at the same time. "Shopping!" Yelled Sophia. "Searching for a school!" Said Noël at the same time, making the two of them look at each other before turning their gaze back to Kyosei. "S-Shopping for school supplies while searching for a school…" Sophia said with a sheepish laugh, wondering if their new friend would fall for that.

Curiouser and curiouser. "And what school might that be?" Kyosei asked, having a harder and harder time fully maintaining his human form. "Is there anything special about it? Perhaps we're future schoolmates?"

Noël was no longer able to hide his discomfort with lying. He never really understood why it came so naturally to Sophia. "I-I don't think so." He answered. His twin-sister was looking rather worried as well. "Iiiittt's somewhere andddd… our cousin is employed there so we came to visit." Sophia gave Kyosei the best smile that she could give. "Anyhow, I'm sure we'll find it." Sophia tried to wave her worries away but then Noël opened his mouth again. "Yeah it's not in a forest or anything!" As Noël spoke, Sophia facepalmed. Her brother was a terrible liar.

So many questions ran through Kyosei's head in a blur so rapid and frantic that his eyes darted around and one of his ears actually popped out for a split second before disappearing again. Finally, he stopped, took a deep breath and tipped the teacup to his mouth again. After an abnormally long sip he inhaled through his nose and looked at the twins, eyes calm. "What is your cousin's name? Perhaps I know them?"

"I-I'm sure you don't know them." Noël said scratching his chin and wondering if he was going crazy. Did Kyosei have non human ears for a split second? When he opened his mouth again, his sister jumped in and slammed at the table. "Food! What kind of ramen are you getting Kyosei? I'm totally going for the Shoyu ramen! I wonder if I can get an extra egg with that…"

"I enjoy the pork-bone tonkatsu the most, myself." Kyosei explained. "And I also like to have an extra egg or two." He smiled at her with his eyes closed before giving himself a moment with a bit more tea. "You know, my school happens to have co-ed dorms, I think it would be quite a nice place for you two." Kyosei sniffed for a few moments, trying to look like he was enjoying the scents of food in the air - which he certainly was - but what he was really after was more subtle. He hoped to really peg down the scent of the twins, perhaps he might recognize it - or at least realize if it wasn't quite human.

It was silent for a while. Everyone was anxious and nervous at the table, until the waiter came back to retrieve their orders for the ramen. Noël and Sophia both ordered a Shoyu ramen with an extra egg while Kyosei ordered his pork-bone tonkatsu ramen but as soon as the waiter left, the awkward silence returned. It was then that Sophia got annoyed and leaned in towards Kyosei, holding a hand next to her mouth to whisper. "Do you perhaps attend Youkai Academy?" Sophia boldly asked.

At that there was a loud thump from one of Kyosei's tails appearing underneath the table and smacking into it before disappearing again. In that short moment the twins felt the soft warm fluff brush their legs and the youko couldn't stop his eyes from lighting up with the promise of sated curiosity. "Yes, is it the one you're looking for?!" He leaned forward, eyes twinkling with intrigue. "You aren't human, are you? Please tell me you're not-I'm in so much trouble if you are."

Sophia sat back in her chair and chuckled, chuckled until it evolved into an uncontrollable laughter. "S-Sister! Please contain yourself! People are staring at us!" Noël tried to calm her down. It's as the brother said, everyone inside the shop was now staring at them. It wasn't until Sophia stared back at them and slowly calmed her laughter into just a quiet giggle. "I mean… What are the odds? We bump into someone and they happen to not be human at all. It's almost too perfect to be true." While her giggle was still evident, she seemed a bit upset at that moment before returning to her usual bubbly self. She made wing signs with her hand towards Youkai, hopefully giving him a clue at their non-human identity.

"Wings?" Kyosei muttered, tilting his head. He tapped his chin and stared at the table as if the entire world had disappeared around him, totally absorbed into finding the answer. "Harpies? No, they're known for kidnapping people, not enchanting them. Dragons aren't around anymore…" His eyes widened and he leaned back in his chair as if preparing to flee. "You aren't a succubus and an incubus, are you?!" Though he exclaimed such frightened words, he at least had the sense to keep his voice low enough not to travel beyond the table.

Sophia and Noël glanced at each other for a moment before turning their faces back at the surprised fox in front of them. "... No. Oh god no." Noël spoke in disgust. How did he even come to that conclusion?

"We're Sirens." Sophia said quietly. "You know what Sirens are?"

"I thought Sirens were aquatic Youkai?" Kyosei queried. "I haven't actually spent much time around other Youkai or even in the youkai realm aside from my parents' home, you see…" He looked embarrassed. "Even though I've spent a lot of time around humans I guess you could say I'm very sheltered."

"It's okay. Siren are winged Youkai. We have a pair of wings and our voice is our strength. We have a couple of other powers but we're basically singing birds." Noël explained while Sophia nodded excitedly. "What are you, Kyosei?"

His eyes crinkled at the edges of a vulpine smile. "Would you look at that, my tea cooled while we were speaking." He raised his cup at the tips of all his fingers and before their eyes it began to steam again as the smell of mint overtook the table and filled them with a coolness that starkly contrasted the warmth around him. "I am a Youko." He explained with a tone of mischief, the pupils that bored into the twins changing from circular voids to vertical slits as his smile widened to show his pointed teeth.

Noël hastily looked around hoping that no one had seen that. Not long after, Sophia gave him a soft smack against the back of his head. "You're obvious, stop that." She told him, not letting her gaze wander away from their newly acquired Youko friend. "That's so cool! I once had a Yok-" before the girl could finish her sentence, the waiter had returned with their ramen orders. They had to drop the subject for a little bit until the man left. All the waiter saw in the end was the young man with the long hair smiling with his mouth and eyes closed at his two new friends over his cup of tea.

"Thank you very much, sir." Kyosei dipped his head in gratitude when his bowl was placed before him, nose wiggling in delight at the scent emanating from its contents.

The waiter left with Noël taking a better look at Kyosei. "Now that you say it… you do look like you could be one." the boy said. "All that aside, you said you attend Youkai Academy right? Would you happen to know an individual going by the name Solomeya?"

"I've only ever heard that name as the name of a character from a show I once watched." Kyosei explained before tilting his head. "Why, do you have a friend or relative at school by that name?"

Noël and Sophia glanced at each other. They shrugged and sighed, taking it one shortly before returning their gazes back to the fox boy in front of them

"Ah… Don't worry about it." Sophia replied with a sheepish grin.

The three kids enjoyed their food and talked some more. From outside the restaurant a man wearing sunglasses and a black fedora stared at the three kids sitting by the window. He stood there for a while longer… then he smirked and headed off.

A JP with Sephear

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
Years

Harold Whiterune

Day 4, Part 3
Harold and the Annoying Neighbbor - Part 1

The mood he had before he entered his room had totally gone sour, and it was not easy for Harold to hold back himself from starting to scream at the sleeping devil.

So he grabbed his books once more and walked out of the room. Obviously, the next-door neighbor wasn't happy with how Harold slammed his windows in front of him and decided to go out and taught him a lesson.

"Hey, you! Stop right there, where do you think you're going!?" The guy next door shouted.

"I don't know, really," Harold answered as he walked away, but the guy wasn't going to let Harold walk away that easily with the vague answer he gave and proceeded to slam him towards a nearby wall.

"Don't freaking play with me! You bastard think you could disturb my sleep and walk away like that!?"

Harold rolled his eyes in disappointment. "Could you zip your mouth first? I'm trying my best to—"

Harold's attempt of persuasion was interrupted as one knuckle sandwich hit him cleanly on his jaw. Causing him to be sprawled on the ground with his books flying away from his grasp.

"I heard enough! You still want to make excuses!? Damn, you're shameless."

Harold groggily stood up with the help of the wall beside him. "And you're deaf af, pillock!"

"You!" The neighbor raised his fist once more and rushed towards Harold.

Sorry old man, but sometimes violence is indeed the answer.

"Body Strengthening."

A magic circle stuck itself on Harold's back as he raised the endurance and toughness of his body. He parried the man's straight jab without much difficulty, but that wasn't the end of Harold's counter-attack.

A magic circle then appeared on Harold's right elbow as he pulled the man's arm with his left.

"Stronger Right."

A powerful gust of wind propelled Harold's right arm forward in a very forceful fashion as he finished uttered the word. It surprised the neighbor who was unlucky enough to get hit on his chin was getting his head bashed against the floor several times before he stopped tumbling near the end of the corridor.

"How do you like that, arsehat!" Harold triumphantly raised his right arm to point at the unlucky guy before lowering it again almost immediately while wincing, it seemed that he accidentally popped off his right elbow thanks to him throwing an absurdly powerful punch according to his standards.

The feeling of elation didn't last long either, as he soon realized that the noise from the shotgun-like punch might cause him some trouble with the occupants of the other rooms. At least none of the floorboards were crack or otherwise

"Ah, Bollocks..." He rushed to grab the scattered books and the man who was knocked out cold and evacuated the poor guy to his own room as he waited for the coast to clear. Thankfully it didn't seem like Hael was awake, or maybe he just didn't bother enough to care about the commotion in the hallway.

Whatever the case was. After some minutes passed away, Harold was brave enough to go out and move next door to the poor man's room. Alas, it was locked and it didn't seem so proper to search through the guy's unconscious body for the key. But it wasn't a huge problem for him. He touched the keyhole for a few seconds and…

"Clack!" The door easily opened without much effort.

"Well, I didn't expect this to come in handy this early."

Harold was able to open the door by pushing back the pins inside the keyhole with wind magic, a trick he learned a long time ago to lock Elena inside a room just for fun, well it's at least fun until she bawled her eyes out and tattled his antics to his parents. That was definitely not a fun time.

"Argh… Finally…"

Harold laid out the poor guy on one of the beds available. After all, there was no way to tell which of the beds belonged to his assailant.

"Welp time to leave then." Harold was content enough to leave this room and go somewhere else. But he had second thoughts just before he left the room.

What if this man really couldn't go to the infirmary alone?

Harold decided that it would be better if this guy owed him a favor, it would definitely help with his quality of life considering this guy stayed next to his room. Also because there's a chance that he could sway the guy to not talk to the teachers about the punch.

The part-time mage summoned a syringe and a suspicious-looking bottle by using his magic.

"Well, I guess it's time to play doctor now."

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
Years

Harold Whiterune

Day 4, Part 4
Harold and the Annoying Neighbbor - Part 2

Harold was sitting on the chair inside the dorm room as he slowly turned the pages of the antique book he borrowed beforehand. Normal people would feel bored if they read the book due to heavy the content inside was even with a proper understanding of how medicinal herbs work, yet his focus didn't flinch at all as he carefully scanned the contents of the book for any clues he needed.

He did so to kill time as he waited for the man in front of him to wake up.

Minutes kept passing as he tapped his foot while reading to keep his calm. Thankfully, it eventually came to an end as the man he waited for grunts and slowly open his eyes.

"Hey you, you're finally awake. You were—" Harold nonchalantly spoke out before shifting back his gaze to the pages of the book he held.

"Crossing the border… Yeah, yeah…" The man he talked with retorted as he rolled his eyes with disbelief.

"Welp, I guess someone got his brain scrambled in the aftermath."

"No. That's a video game reference. I didn't expect you to not know that, old man."

"Oh excuse me for my ignorance of the pop culture reference, Mr. One punched man."

Ignoring the blonde-haired man who was provoked by his remark, Harold closed his book and calmly stood up from his chair to further examine the said man. The latter was gritting his teeth as a response to Harold examining his outward appearance.

There seemed to be nothing wrong with him, or at least visually. The check-up he did before the man woke up also confirmed the fact that he should be fine for now.

"Do you feel any pain anywhere? Maybe on your chin? Or the back of your head?"

"No, happy?" He answered coldly.

"Ah, so the painkillers worked eh? Although you still need to go to the infirmary. Especially since you rolled like a hamster ball through the hall earlier."

"Which wouldn't happen if you didn't punch me that hard, you fuc— Arghh..." The man tried to lift himself out of the bad, only to stumble and barely stopping himself from falling by holding the side of the bad.

Harold shook his head and sighed at the sighed. "I guess your body wasn't accustomed to the side-effects of the pain killer, just lie down and relax, will you? You're not in the condition to force yourself."

"Bastard, this wouldn't happen at all if you didn't hit me like that."

"Oh, I am sorry, Sir. But do you realize you're basically telling me to let you beat me down without retaliation? Are you even capable to do rational thinking?" Harold retorted with a cynical tone.

"Well considering what you did, it's not unjustified!"

"What I did? Mate, if you want to complain then you had the wrong person. It wasn't me who conjured beanstalk that rammed my bed into your wall."

"Wha—"

"Oh trust me, that was also my reaction the first time I saw it. My roommate is quite the person, indeed."

"Then why didn't you say—"

"I knew you're going to say that. First off, fuck you. Secondly, if you would just zip that humongous mouth of yours even for just a minute then it would save both of us both from that debacle you just put us in also your welcome.."

"...You're being an ass you know?" The man glared towards the mage while holding his head.

Harold initially tried to open his mouth in anger, but perhaps what the man said to him have some truth in it. Perhaps the thing he read about the side-effect of abstaining from using cigarettes was much more than he expected.

He thought he could deal with it, but… Perhaps it's much wiser to deal with it more seriously from now on.

"...You know what, perhaps you are right. No, it's more like you're definitely right. The fact that you punched me without me managing to explain the situation doesn't give me the license to act that harshly... I'm sorry."

He bowed slightly to express his lament, a move that surprised the guy in front of him. Probably feeling the guilt or the pressure due to the act, he decided to reciprocate the gesture.

"Likewise, sorry for cutting you off like a moron."

Harold nodded before he stole a glance at his wristwatch. Apparently, he had wasted a lot of time dealing with all of this debacle, and with that, it's time to scram.

"Well, anyway. I've left several doses of painkillers just in case. I've fixed your dislocated jaw according to the proper procedure to do so, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't visit the infirmary for a checkup, it's much safer to do so. And with that, I guess I'll be going now, then. Take care."

Harold returned the chair back to the spot he took it from. But before he managed to reach for the doorknob the man interrupted him by opening his mouth.

"Justin Jackson, you can call me JJ. Yours?"

"Ah, Harold. Harold Whiterune. Hope we can meet again on much better terms."

He walked out through the door while holding his books once more. But even on his walk, he couldn't repress the doubts that already started to surface some time ago.

All the academy life did to him was adding much more stress and hinder his progress to find the cure he desperately needed. This incident adds more proof to the already mountainous pile that not only he was ill-suited to thrive in this kind of environment by himself, but also to the fact that his anger control might slip even worse considering the factors around him.

So why? Why this Academy from all places?

Back