What was your favorite Pokémon growing up?

Started by goatintothewild November 29th, 2021 2:44 AM
  • 23 replies

Sheep

She/Her
Australia
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
35,355 posts
15.3 Years
Moderator Post
Hi! I moved this over to the Pokémon General forum since it's the best place to ask general questions like these!

When I was growing up, mine was for sure Pikachu. I just thought it was so cool, especially Ash's, and really loved it. Then as a pre-teen I started loving Banette a lot and used it often in the games. <3 I still like both but they're not my favorites anymore like they used to be aha.

ReKoil

Male
Netherlands
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
11,739 posts
1.6 Years
hmm... might've been Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite tbh.
Also Charizard and Blastoise initially until I got fed up with seeing them everywhere 😅

Trade Shop | My HA pokemon trade sheet. | My Shinies. | My VPP.
Mega Medicham @ Level 100: 11.820 | Mantyke @ Lv 100: 11,527

Sheep

She/Her
Australia
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
35,355 posts
15.3 Years
The people above have some of the best childhood favorites, I relate so well. =')

Just thought of some more: Butterfree, Lapras, Bulbasaur. All of a sudden I'm getting vivid flashbacks to being a kid and pretending to be a Bulbasaur while 'Pokémon battling' my cat at the time lol. poor cat I'm so sorry

Roni

Age 23
he/him
Philippines
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 4 Hours Ago
17,012 posts
8.8 Years
Turtwig, for carrying my first Diamond playthrough all by himself. What a lad.
Paired with Starlight
VPP
Flair & Profile
Crafted by the lovely Fairy

icycatelf

Alex

Age 31
Male
KY (USA)
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 5 Hours Ago
2,989 posts
16.9 Years
Ho-Oh had been my favorite for YEARS! I’d always looked up to my cousin for his video game skills, so I was thrilled when I beat his Blue Version team on Pokémon Stadium 2, wiping out most of it with my Ho-Oh from Silver (which I had named LOVE, under the impression that naming Pokémon after positive emotions made them stronger). I’d had trouble beating Red on Mt. Silver too, but my cousin told me that I could probably beat him now with my Ho-Oh, so I tried again and it worked! Its appearance in the first episode of the anime was also really neat and mysterious.

My favorite has changed a few times since.

Palamon

Has sent out Pikachu!

Age 25
he/him
Milaturia.
Online now
Posted 16 Hours Ago
6,874 posts
13 Years
Always been Treecko. Except the dark ages known as 2007 where Psyduck was my favorite for maybe a few months. Never changed since, I love my little gecko.
Theme: Kousuke Seto
Pair: Taemin
London
Seen 3 Days Ago
Posted December 6th, 2021
9 posts
2.2 Years
Oh, it's a toughie. I'll cop to Charmander getting overexposed, but I still wouldn't have gone anywhere without my starter, and Charmander was my favourite of the bunch back in the day. I'm less inclined to pick the Fire-type starter than when I was younger, but you know, every child's got a little arsonist in them ready to break out.

Although there's some stiff non-starter competition. I always felt Caterpie looked cute, I loved that weird-looking Abra and was pretty glad to finally catch one of those (curse your Teleport!), and Ralts immediately grabbed my eye back when I randomly found one back when first playing Ruby.

Tell you the truth, I was never good at commiting to 'a fave' even as a kid. There's a long, storied history of me being asked my favourite film and then freezing up.
Currently trying to beat Sword without attacking. You can read the log and see my progress here.

Saint

creature collector streamer

Age 27
He/him
melbourne
Seen 3 Days Ago
Posted December 12th, 2021
4,021 posts
15.7 Years
Since I first laid eyes on Beautifly, it has been Beautifly hahaha.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness

they/he/she
っ・ω・)っ━☆゚.*・。゚
Seen 9 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
2,101 posts
2.6 Years
Always has been, and always will be, Piplup. Piplup (and Empoleon) have a special place in my heart. Piplup was the first Pokemon I ever saw and I thought it was the cutest of the 3 Sinnoh starters, and Empoleon was my first fully evolved starter.
(╯°Д°)╯ ┻━┻
FLIP ALL THE TABLES!

Q+A / My Art
Owner of PC's fashion club!

Fairy

she / they
in the flowers
Online now
Posted 18 Minutes Ago
13,486 posts
10.7 Years
First gen, always liked Cubone and Haunter. Would rush to Lavender Tower (and do the whole boring quest) just to catch a Haunter that I’d never evolve.

girlfriend ♥ colours
boyfriend ♥ ivysaur
tokyodrift / magic / icycatelf
sister ♥ caite-chan

fafrir

Queen of Dragons

Female
In the treasure trove
Seen 7 Hours Ago
Posted 7 Hours Ago
1,800 posts
7.5 Years
My history with Pokemon is weird since I loved it in grade 1 and dropped it until grade 7 so it's hard to say what my childhood favourite was as a childhood. However, when I was getting back into the series, I LOVED Houndoom and Mightyena because they are both Dark-type dogs and they looked awesome and I've used them both a lot in my XD run and I refused to separate them. Unfortunately to the fault of my own, I've lost both of them and I was sad and even though I have competitive versions of them now they will never replace the OGs.

I miss you Lupine and Poochy. </3
|
Pal: Dakota

Adam Levine

I have tried all of your remedies

Age 19
he/they
Kara's Flowers
Seen 2 Weeks Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
5,034 posts
10.3 Years
Sneasel (which I ironically never got to use as a kid). I still love it, but not as much as my new favorites.

Hyzenthlay

Age 22
Rito Village
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
7,022 posts
9.2 Years
Back when I only knew Gen 1 as a small child from playing Pokémon Stadium, I was really attached to Persian, Aerodactyl and Eevee! Out of those, Eevee remains one of my all-time favourites. But these days I prefer Pokémon like Nidorina, Ponyta, Lapras, Scyther and Eevee's evolutions as my Kanto favourites.
Dancing, quivering
Two butterflies, we entwine
In petals and silk

colours

mother to all

she/her
celestial plains
Online now
Posted 8 Hours Ago
8,447 posts
16.8 Years
bulbasaur. its #1 spot got claimed by shaymin, but i still love the little guy so he's #2

Vielleroue

She/her, he/him
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 9 Hours Ago
147 posts
36 Days
Didn't have a strict favourite in childhood (outside of the obvious Pikachu); I only started picking favourites in adolescence. First it was the Sneasel line, then the Litwick line for quite a few years, then the Gastly line, and finally Mimikyu. I do expect Mimikyu to stick around for longer than the rest did though, simply because the little baby has no equal for me.

Zed01

Male
Virbank City
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
131 posts
2.5 Years
Since I started with the anime long before I knew about the games my favorites as a kid were always Ash's Pokemon. The two I remember liking the most for the longest time were Tauros and Kingler. I think my favorite one between the two was Tauros.

I specifically remember watching the episodes where I started to think that these two were the coolest/strongest ever. For Tauros it was the Tauros competition episode where Ash's Tauros won and everyone wanted to trade for Ash's Tauros. For Kingler it was the famous Indigo League episode when Krabby evolved and dominated.
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
479 posts
1.3 Years
Bulbasaur and Gengar used to be favorites of mine a long time ago, but the Kanto overexposure ended up changing that. I remember back when only Gen 1-3 existed getting a Gengar was like a dream for me, but Gen 4 and onwards introduced a good amount of strong Ghost types that I like more.
https://i.postimg.cc/G3PyZVvM/Signature-B.jpg
Favorite rom hacks/fan games: Prism, Gaia, Rising Earth, Bushido, Radical Red.

Amore

Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
4,055 posts
12.4 Years
Having been exposed to the anime, I thought Charizard was awesome. Then when I got TCG, it was Gen III and I got tricked out of my Torchic card...cue getting my first game and although there's no Charizards in sight my starter is a Torchic! So that was my favourite for quite a while, until I finally got far enough into the game to turn it into Blaziken with Blaze Kick, which I just thought was the coolest thing ever.
Since then I keep gravitating towards dragons (except Garchomp) as well as Pokémon from the first few routes in Hoenn. Gen IV was the first time I was aware of new Pokémon in advance and I took an instant shine to Piplup's line because penguins. Likewise Samurott in Gen V.