• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Should attract/infatuation only work for the pokemon that used the move?

Should infatuation only immobilize against pokemon infatuated with?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
Pretty straight forward, should attract, and the infatuation status as a whole, be changed, so it only immobilizes the target pokemon,
when they are facing the pokemon they are infatuated with?

I think it makes more sense that way, but I don't use it, so I wanted to see what the opinion is of those that do.
Would that change completely change/ruin the way you use it.

also sidebar I find it extremely funny/ironic that the infatuation status can be cured by the "eggant" berry.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Probably an unpopular opinion but I think Attract/Cute Charm should be just removed. We already have two status conditions that play around randomly determining wheter the affected Pokémon will attack or not, so having a third one is redundant, especially when you don't see it being used much at all, as opposed to Confusion or Paralysis which do happen quite often. You may sometimes play an entire Pokémon game without noticing Infatuation exists.

I guess it was a mechanic created to somehow give Genders an in-battle purpose, but it never actually made much sense. I mean, you tell me that a rock with arms can "fall in love" with a cow just because they're opposite genders and that's all you need? Well, it's a kind of weird and flawed premise, especially in this age. And gameplay-wise (when it happens, rarely) it doesn't add much either, it's just yet another luck-based status condition to annoy the opponent and give it a chance to not being able to attack.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
I guess it was a mechanic created to somehow give Genders an in-battle purpose, but it never actually made much sense. I mean, you tell me that a rock with arms can "fall in love" with a cow just because they're opposite genders and that's all you need? Well, it's a kind of weird and flawed premise, especially in this age. And gameplay-wise (when it happens, rarely) it doesn't add much either, it's just yet another luck-based status condition to annoy the opponent and give it a chance to not being able to attack.

I see your logic, and raise you one, "skitty & wailord can breed"

I get that but removing all together would just limit playstyle choice, and I think a good amount of people don't just like to use straight damage in fights,
but instead uses statuses & strategy. And I'm pretty sure its attack canceling chances are actually higher than confusion or paralysis. (?)

I got struck by cutecharm when playing the other day, and it completely flipped the battle, went from full health vs an about 4 hp opponent to my pokemon dying. Without being able to attack again about 4 turns later. (Or maybe I only attacked once in those 4 turns)

I think it overall is a good effect, and for the most part the pokemon that can learn attract or the like, aren't ones that can paralyze or confuse an opponent easily.

It's just weird to me that being "attracted" to one pokemon turns into not being able to attack anyone on the opponent team.

I guess it makes sense for trying to balance it compared to the other attack cancel statuses but I don' t really feel its necessary to make it identical in that way, for it to have a
benefit.

Back