• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Would you recommend the Fifth Gen. Games to New Pokemon Fans?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
As the title suggests, would you personally recommend the 5th Gen games: Pokemon Black, Pokemon White, as well as Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2 for people who had never played a pokemon game before?

If you would, what features about these games would stand out for them? If not, why wouldn't you? Feel free to share thoughts!

Years
yes, definitely. wouldn't even think twice about it. best gen
think the best things about gen 5 games are the story and the music. the rest just falls perfectly into place.

Years
Yes! Story, tutorials and difficulty is imho balanced in both BW and B2W2. I think BW are isolated from other gens and that makes them perfect for beginners.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
For sure. As stated before, the music and the story just makes everything else fall into place. I do also think the face that you have the option of challenge mode for those who like a little extra challenge.

Years
I'd recommend any Pokemon game to a newcomer! For BW/B2W2 specifically I prefer the originals over the sequels, but both have a great story and IMO the best music (though any of the DS games have awesome music).

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
Definitely, aside from these being my favorite generation of games, they have one of the most compelling soundtracks and storylines of the whole franchise. Plus, while grinding is required, the level gap isn't always that bad between gyms which I thing is something that would deter new players in some of the other generations.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
I would but I don't think I'd recommend them to be played first, because then everything else will pale in comparison.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
totally. they're amazing games. great music, stories, features, introduces some awesome pokemon. it's got a very nice style, too. it stands out among other pokemon games, in my opinion.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
Without a doubt. You can never go wrong with a compelling story-line and amazing soundtrack. It's also less grindy with the gen 5 experience slider bar.

Years
Gen 5 is the only known game i've played so far, its the best perfect gamers for beginners after all. I tried playing BW but it was so hard to defeat Cilan when using Oshawott as my starter Pokemon and i nearly gave up. But i returned to play BW2 and i almost finished it, but it was so tough to defeat Elite Four. :(

(sorry for my poor English)

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
In general, yes.

As as starting point, I don't know what exactly I'd recommend to someone.

Years
  • Age 36
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Certainly - Gen V is one of my favourites and I'd encourage players to play both an original and a sequel to get the whole storyline (best story in whole franchsie in my opinion). As a first game? I suppose, why not? I would probably recommend Platinum first but B/W would work out just fine, too.

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
Years
Funny enough, I had this exact conversation with a friend of mine the other day. 😂

That being said, Gen 5 (specifically the original B/W) get an easy recommendation from me. I think they're a great starting point for those who have never played a Pokémon game before (like the friend I mentioned previously).

Black and White arguably have the best plot of the main series games, and that ultimately will help them stay invested and motivated to keep playing. It is also for this reason that I feel it will give new players an idea of what Pokémon is really all about: the bond between Trainers and their Pokémon.

Sorvete

Novice
Years
Yeah, absolutely. I think Gen 5 (specially BW) is the one that gives me most nostalgia along with Platinum, and it still remains one of my favorite gens so far. It's also not that hard, mainly the first games, and is pretty easy and comfortable for new players to understand and enjoy.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
I'd definitely tell them to Play Black and White then move on to BW2, BW2 has more content but I feel like it speaks to fans of the series more. BW in my opinion is more like a reboot of Gen 1 and would probably be easier to digest.

Years
Ehhhh yes and no. Mostly yes.

Fifth gen is certainly a fine generation to start with if you're the type of individual who plays more for the adventure than anything else. In that respect, the plot is pretty much almost unrivaled and there's a lot to enjoy about the characters. However, aside from Pokemon World Tournament in B2W2, I feel like there isn't that much to enjoy in the post-game as far as the battling part is concerned. Those who start with Gen 5 are likely going to miss out on how fun the Battle Frontier was and the unique challenges it offered.

Aside from that though, I have zero issues recommending any fifth gen game to anyone. The Pokemon selection is actually fine, the region is certainly lovely to explore, and older games not having the seasons mechanic really helped fifth gen games keep that charm, so to speak. So why wouldn't anyone new start with it?

Last edited:
Years
I'm always so torn with fifth gen. On one hand, it did so many things right; excellent story, great soundtrack, interesting characters, unlimited TMs, faster battle pace.

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but the Pokemon themselves really bothered me. I didn't like a lot of the designs, and only having Unova Pokemon to choose from in BW was a bit of a shock. BW2 fixed this so I definitely had a better time in those games. Also having a direct sequel was very cool, revisiting old areas and seeing characters 2 years later was neat.

The Unova region itself also always felt odd to me. I loved certain parts but other areas seemed off, not very Pokemon-ey if that's a thing. Lol.

For a first timer, I'd recommend a gen IV game, HG/SS or Platinum. Those were the glory days IMO. But I could just be biased. 😁

Back