The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon: General Discussions Pokémon Anime
What if: Disney XD hadn't taken over television rights?

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Old December 9th, 2017 (5:50 PM). Edited December 9th, 2017 by Otter Mii-kun.
Molly, you are so adorable! ♥

Late last year, as those in America already know, Disney XD took over the broadcast rights to the Pokémon anime from Cartoon Network, which ran the first-run dub episodes since 2006 when they took over the series from Kids' WB.

When Disney XD took over the series, they ran the first two Sun/Moon episodes, and did not bother to run any further new dub episodes for the next few months, making many fans, including those on here, upset.

Another issue with Disney XD taking over Pokémon is that the channel is found on higher-level (and considerably more expensive) cable tiers than Cartoon Network was typically available on across most providers.

Personally, I felt that TPCI shot themselves in the foot by having Disney XD take over the Pokémon anime, especially when it took several months just for them to show the third Sun/Moon episode onwards.

Spoiler:
    I thought at that time that, especially considering the 20th Anniversary of the Pokémon franchise, they would have been better off selling the anime to a syndication distributor, who would then re-sell the broadcast rights to the show to local broadcast stations (similarly to Dr. Phil and Jeopardy!, as well as the first Indigo League season when 4Kids was doing the dubbing).
    A theoretical syndication arrangement would have episodes from the first 19 seasons repeated on Monday-Friday (stripped similarly to "off-network syndication" reruns of many popular sitcoms), and new Sun & Moon episodes on Saturday (or Sunday) (which could have been dealt separately, similar to the 1991-2001 first run syndication of Baywatch).

More recently, I thought that, had Sinclair Broadcast Group started their "KidsClick" daily morning cartoon block a year earlier (it had started broadcasting on This TV and Sinclair-operated Fox, The CW, and myNetworkTV stations on July 1st of this year), they probably could have put in a bid for the Pokémon anime.

Another possible solution would have been for a "digital subchannel" network, including Antenna TV, MeTV, and the aforementioned This TV, to pick up the rights to at least the first 19 seasons of Pokémon. That kind of move, had that been accomplished by a "digi-net" service (or by a first-run syndicator or even KidsClick), would very likely gain the digi-net significant publicity, almost on the same level Antenna TV received in late 2015 when they picked up the rights to The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson for nightly repeats of surviving episodes from 1972 until Carson's retirement in 1992 (to the point where the subchannel service gained some new affiliates). Though, to be fair, a subchannel would likely be the least favorable option, as most subchannel services broadcast in 480i standard definition (though that might begin to change in the next several years as ATSC 3.0 begins rolling out).

All in all, though, I can't really believe that the Pokémon anime would be so expensive as to limit its broadcast rights availability to cable channels. After all, the Big Four American English-language broadcast networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox) themselves spend billions of dollars for several-years-long live sports contracts (especially the NFL and NCAA). Could my previous speculation of a bidding war won by Disney XD for the Pokémon anime really have been the cause of all of this? (Speaking of such, that kind of scenario reminded me of how Fox greatly outbid CBS for the NFC package in 1993 (Fox bid $1.6 billion, while then-NFC incumbent CBS offered less than $300 million), which indirectly triggered a large swath of television network affiliation changes for a period starting in December 1994.)

Share your thoughts on last year's move to Disney XD, whether it was really necessary for TPCI to sell the Pokémon anime to a more "premium" cable channel, and what you think TPCI should have done instead since (apparently) Cartoon Network wasn't able to renew.

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 9th, 2017 (7:11 PM).

Well, at the very least, I'd be a bit more likely to try and watch Pokémon via online streaming from an official site instead of avoiding Disney like the plague due to being on boycott from them due to some stupidity they've recently engaged in (assuming of course I don't have to wait for them to post the episodes I want to watch in a set amount of episodes.).
      Old December 10th, 2017 (9:47 AM).
      Prince of the chalice~!

Nature: Lonely
      The anime would be well better off without Disney XD having television rights. I'm not a fan of how they treat the anime at all. Considering how Cartoon Network was doing fine w/it for years, idk why they didn't renew their contract.
      Old December 10th, 2017 (9:57 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Mezzo View Post
        The anime would be well better off without Disney XD having television rights. I'm not a fan of how they treat the anime at all. Considering how Cartoon Network was doing fine w/it for years, idk why they didn't renew their contract.
        Yeah, and besides, considering how Disney is doing a lot of stupid things, including the whole ESPN thing and how they handled LeFou and Star vs. the Forces of Evil, all of which would cause them to LOSE future sales, it's better off if CN still retained control over it (especially if they stream it. I won't use Disney's streaming service, and since the only other place I can think of that streams it only allows for the current nine episodes to stream, that's going to force me to wait weeks before I even have the chance to watch Alola, Kanto and When Regions Collide, meaning I have no choice but to delay watching those episodes, and believe me, I actually want to watch those episodes and am very upset at not being able to watch them.).
        Old December 10th, 2017 (11:01 AM). Edited December 10th, 2017 by IcyIce.
        Fictional Writer.

Nature: Quiet
        I don't think Cartoon Network deserves a big series. They started treating it terrible. Airing it at an insane hour and never promoting it. When Sinnoh started, it started getting mistreated badly by CN. XD is doing an amazing job. I can't say anything negative about anything XD has done. They promote it. They say when there is new episodes. It comes on at a better time. And they treat it like a show. CN just cheated it like crap. Most people didn't even know it was still airing on CN who didn't follow it regularly.

But there would have been no difference. CN would have gotten it again. The only reason it started back in May was because there was conflict with the rights of the show, that was confirmed on the Voice Actress' of Jessie, twitter account.

I can't say anything about XD being on a higher tier of TV. I have always had Disney XD. I have never been without it.
        Old December 10th, 2017 (11:31 AM). Edited December 10th, 2017 by weedle_mchairybug.

Quote:
          Originally Posted by IcyIce View Post
          I don't think Cartoon Network deserves a big series. They started treating it terrible. Airing it at an insane hour and never promoting it. When Sinnoh started, it started getting mistreated badly by CN. XD is doing an amazing job. I can't say anything negative about anything XD has done. They promote it. They say when there is new episodes. It comes on at a better time. And they treat it like a show. CN just cheated it like crap. Most people didn't even know it was still airing on CN who didn't follow it regularly.

But there would have been no difference. CN would have gotten it again. The only reason it started back in May was because there was conflict with the rights of the show, that was confirmed on the Voice Actress' of Jessie, twitter account.

I can't say anything about XD being on a higher tier of TV. I have always had Disney XD. I have never been without it.
          Just out of curiosity, do you have cable? Because I don't, so I can't watch Disney XD right now. And the only other streaming service for the English localization of Pokémon only airs the nine current episodes of a season, meaning I have to wait until they have the episodes I actually want to watch to be posted before I can even be able to watch it.

CN's probably not a good idea knowing how its been treated (then again, I did wake up for Beast Wars Transformers at around 6:00), but Disney XD's not much better. It also doesn't help that Disney's already doing some really egregriously stupid decisions.
          Old December 10th, 2017 (12:21 PM).

At least Disney does respect the show somewhat. 9am eastern is much better than 7am eastern, and they have the entire series and movies on demand (on Fios anyway) and they rerun the movies on TV sometimes. There's also been marathons and some promotion which CN wasn't doing. Yes Disney XD is not available to everyone with cable but I don't think syndication would've helped because there's no guarantee it would air in every market and it could get really weird time slots.
            Old December 10th, 2017 (2:35 PM).
            Prince of the chalice~!

Quote:
            Originally Posted by IcyIce View Post
            Michele Knotz.

The reason I didn't like how they treated Pokemon when it first aired was because I felt they were rushing it by airing it daily. Disney also tends to randomly stop airing their anime, which I'm hoping doesn't happen w/Pokemon but you never know...
            Old December 10th, 2017 (7:46 PM).

They did the daily airings the first week as a premiere event and possibly because of the delay in it starting to air.
              Old December 13th, 2017 (9:59 AM).
              Banned

I just read about the events of the episodes to get an idea on what it is about. I am not affected by Disney XD in any way.
                Old December 13th, 2017 (10:40 AM). Edited December 13th, 2017 by Entei Fan.
                Canine pokemon fan

Nature: Gentle
                  Sorry to tell you, but polish Disney XD got the rights to pokemon since the diamond and pearl era

Polish CN no longer can be epic channel like his american brother

Original nick - BH
                  Name - Bartek

Quick Reply