• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknamed Pokemon

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
Half of my wondertrades are from Japan, and so I have no idea what the 'mons are called.

I don't really mind nicknames, since more often-than not, I wouldn't be using the 'mons or I'm trading with a friend for evolution.

I nickname all my 'mons pretty much by reflex. I tend to go with something punny or I reach through vast swathes of historical/mythological figures/legends.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Probably the funniest nickname I've gotten is off Wonder Trade. I got a Spinda nicknamed HitMehhAgain. Also got an Espurr nicknamed Hello. I've seen in some trades where after we're done trading they'll show a Pokemon nicknamed Thanks!. Clever if you ask me. :P

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
Probably the funniest nickname I've gotten is off Wonder Trade. I got a Spinda nicknamed HitMehhAgain. Also got an Espurr nicknamed Hello. I've seen in some trades where after we're done trading they'll show a Pokemon nicknamed Thanks!. Clever if you ask me. :P

I like that. "Thanks!" That would honestly make my day if someone showed me that after trading. I changed my message on my profile to "Thanks for trade" after a really nice trade hoping that they saw that. Someone who traded about five Pokemon with me.

My favorite I recieved was in Wondertrade I got a Gyrados named "Ragin' Abe". I thought that was awsome, and he stayed in my in game party all the way to the Elite Four after that.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I usually grow attached to pokemon who I give nicknames to... too attached to trade them away. So I don't usually trade them. Recently a friend gave me a pre-nicknamed lv100 trained pokemon with a nickname. I felt as though it had more sentimental value, and I guess that would go for the Charizard in the example. I roll my eyes at whenever I see a nickname on a pokemon without any value ("WGGTTRF" the lv2 Weedle, "Loser" the Magikarp), because it just makes it such that its hard for the future owner to like it.

Years
I like nicknaming most of my Pokémon, so if I get one unexpectedly nicknamed I don't complain too much. But I can live without them.

If i'm receiving a Pokémon with ideal IVs (i.e. 31/31/31/x/31/31 on a physical sweeper), then i'll probably ask them to nickname it just because. I think it feels more special that way and I end up liking it more.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
Years
I've received both an IV'd Pichu named Pickles and a Skiddo named Mr.Fabulous both of which I kept out of pure respect for the randomness of their names.

In general I like to nickname my pokemon, otherwise it's kind of like naming your dog "dog".

Years
I've received both an IV'd Pichu named Pickles and a Skiddo named Mr.Fabulous both of which I kept out of pure respect for the randomness of their names.

In general I like to nickname my pokemon, otherwise it's kind of like naming your dog "dog".
Can't stop laughing because my Lucario is named Mr. Fabulous too xDD. My general teams are named based on Greek, Nordic or Celtic gods. Depends how closely they are to them such as my Thurnudurs I named him Zeus, and Jellicent Poseidon ~

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I personally don't mind nicknames, so long as they're a bit tolerable. What I consider intolerable? Good example would be a Blaziken being named "aQuA," haha.

Master Kavar

Where beginnings are
Years
If i end up getting a traded Pokemon that has a nicknamed, witch i have lol i kind of trade it away to get one with the original name or i just breed it if it has its HA, so yeah :-)

KatTayle

Cat Pokemon lover
Years
I think they're pretty cool. As long as they aren't weird. I got a Magby off wondertrade called "***duck" (dont know if I can say it here? they replaced an I with 1 to pass the sensor), and the only reason I keep it is for my living dex.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I get really stupid ones off of WT, like "Release" and "Your Butt" and "Your Mom" lol

I don't nickname the ones I send over WT since they're breedjects; no point.

I don't mind nicknames, though. I don't use Pokemon straight out of the batch. I always end up breeding it later anyway, so #shrugs

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 10, 2015
i never nickname any of my pokemons
i dont think i even like nicknames..
every pokemon got its name And it fits him perfectly.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
My nicknamed Pokemon:
A Grotle nicknamed Alexiu from GTS
A Butterfree nicknamed Hi that my best friend caught for me
A female Geodude from Wonder Trade nicknamed Geogirl (Clever)

I, for one, don't like nicknaming Pokemon myself.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Apr 11, 2015
I would love to nickname ones I've bred and put effort into and have on a few. My Houndoom is named Shady after a dog I used to have but passed away. My Tyrantrum is named Chomper after the dinosaur in Land Before Time when I was growing up.

Ones I get in trades I don't like because they just have no meaning to me and I once got a Shiny Gastly with the worst name imaginable. One I cannot repeat here.

Chalifoux

:: Certified Granblue Fantasy Nerd ::
Years
I tend to get very, very silly with my nicknames, especially so if I'm sending the remnants of a breeding projects thru Wonder Trade. Ever got a Cleffa with Friend Guard nicknamed as "Annihilator"? Yeah that was probably my own doing.

I don't mind nicknames, and do have a certain fixation for them. It makes the Pokemon have that 'unique' additional quirk to them, I guess. Plus, it's always nice to see the cleverness of those who nickname their stuff. I, however, hate it when people nickname their Pokemon with actual names, but that's just me I guess. I'd rather have a hundred "Pekachu" than a single Pikachu with the name "Bruce".

Saronai

PKMN Breeder
Years
I have two quotes for this thread:
"Yeah, well, he's gotta have a name, don't he?" -Rubeus Hagrid
"You're gonna be sorry if you don't give it a name." -Walter Chang

In case you hadn't yet guessed, I'm all for decent nicknames, love picking my own, but prefer others' honest attempts at decent nicknames over the species name. Primarily because...seriously *points back up at the quotes above* It feels rude to the poor little pixels otherwise. The default is their species name. "Hey, Human! I'd like to introduce you to my new girlfriend, Human."
"Nice to meet you, Human! Human's talked a lot about you! Even his mother, Human knows how sweet you are!"

Having said that, I have been known to go on name hunts for certain species of pokemon, often learning quite a bit I never would have researched otherwise. One name hunt recently led to a Slavic myth about a woman named Vlasta that was pretty cool.

I often give them geek-inspired names like something based off the latin names in their species, or fandoms of the various games/fiction/movies/etc that I enjoy.

Some are more creative, some not so much. I will admit I've been known to search for about an hour for the perfect name.

Then there are puns that occur to me that I simply can't resist, such as naming my female Skiddo in a luxury ball "Beatrix" (for all you Kill Bill fans out there). There wasn't enough room for Beatrix Skiddo xD

I don't really care if I'm going to breed a better version myself, but if I can't breed it, I really really want to give it a name.

Pretty much my whole point. Just wanted to add, I do appreciate when people get clever with that concept though. I use to have some friends who named their Dog "Deogee" (Dee-oh-gee though that's probably over-explaining something obvious). On that note, I recently nicknamed a water pokemon who refused to yield a good name "Aychtuo" (H2O...again, probably over-explaining).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
I love nicknaming Pokemon. If I receive a nicknamed Pokemon via Wondertrade, I would find a way to use it. I received a Mime Jr. from Wonder trade, and it was not only nicknamed Harlequin, but it was shiny too. It was not good for competative combat, but I trained it in a way to be useful. After evolving it, I made it learn the screens and other status effects so that it can cripple my opponents until my real damage dealers come into play.

It is very rare that I would use an unnamed Pokemon. My Golduck is unnamed because it's both shiny and has a good nature. Not to mention that it was a gift from a good friend. My Haxorus and Gallade were also gifts from a good friend. My Tyranitar was a Wonder Trade gift that was both shiny and had 6IV's along with a good nature. Not letting that go to waste. I let it it play online, mega evolve, and breed any females in the Monster egg group.

Years
I usually nickname my competitives bred by me. Except when people ask if they want to Nickname a shiny that is given to me, only because I can clone it and people will probably want that shiny more if it has no nickname.

Back