• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2012
^Okay cool i did manage to make the trade.

Another thing, the move re-learner. Is it one heart scale per move? Or do i only have to pay him once for an infinite amount.

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
If I kill Uxie and Azelf will they come back after defeating the Elite Four?

Edit: Thank you PlatinumDude.

Last edited:

Blaze the Cat

Life hurts, and so do I
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 19, 2014
I'm having a hard time beating 100 trainers in the Battle Tower. Can anyone suggest a good team? HG-SS

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
I'm having a hard time beating 100 trainers in the Battle Tower. Can anyone suggest a good team? HG-SS

Might have more luck in the competetive battle center, they have an in-game section as well. I'd say using a well balanced team (three starters maybe?) will work out well in doubles. It depends on what you have; just make sure you have most types covered before going in, since other than the frontier brains you don't know what will come at you.

Zapperz

colour swapper!
Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
in hgss, how many times can you battle with Red? is it unlimited? cause it will sure be good

Cid

Years
in hgss, how many times can you battle with Red? is it unlimited? cause it will sure be good

You're in luck 'cause you can battle Red again. You just have to beat the Elite Four, every time you do that, Red becomes available for battle once more.

Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2012
Need Help EV Training!

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place. I am currently trying to EV train my Slakoth (my first time >.<) and I think I need a bit of help from you guys. First off, I plan on training my Slakoth in attack so it has an Adamant Nature. According to the stat judge at the battle tower, it has an outstanding potential and its highest IV is attack and cannot be better. It has the Pokerus virus and has the Power Bracer. It is LV. 1 and has not been in any battles. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to feed it 10 Protein (can you give it more of a different vitamin?) and then fight stuff. So could someone help me out and tell me exactly what I should battle/defeat and how many? I very much appreciate it :D. Thank you very much.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Merged with the Help thread.

Anyways, there are actually multiple ways to EV train, but what you have done is right if you are just asking on what to do in regards to Attack EVs. Proteins aren't needed but they do help a lot so using them before any training is correct (10 = 100 EVs).

As for what to battle... well, it depends on what game it is and how many EVs you want. If you want the max 252 attack EVs (max is really 255 but the extra 3 won't do anything) for instance, then you just need 152 after the Proteins. If you beat up Pokemon that give 1EV in attack each with Pokerus that doubles it and the Power Bracer then you'll have (1+4)*2 = 10 EVs from each kill - so 15 such Pokemon killed would do already get you to 150 EVs in that stat, plus another 100 from Proteins. But it does depend on how you battle and all, and EV guides can get into more specifics. Basically it's just a bit of maths and planning in what you train against and how you go about it.

DPPt has Machoke/Bibarel - Route 211 East, and HGSS has Goldeen and Seaking on various routes (42, 9, 10, Mt Mortar...) for Attack EVs. Here's a list for all of them and an extensive description on EVs too.

And yes, you can give it more vitamins of different stats too - the limit of 10 is for each kind of medicine.

Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2012
Are the other vitamins really worth it? From what I understand (maybe not in every case) you want to EV train in two stats, which I suppose would be attack and health for slakoth/vigoroth/slaking. Vitamins can take a toll on the pocket book, but maybe it be worth it to buy 10 proteins and 10 (HP UPs?). But thanks, that link and explanation helped alot actually...:D but I have some IV questions. Slakoth's father is a Ditto who has the "likes to thrash about" characteristic and it was holding a Power Bracer at the time Slakoth was bred, so shouldn't all of its sibilings have that characteristic as well? Or is it not 100% for passing characteristic? Because some of them (don't ask me how) have the "often doses off" characteristic. The stat judge then says "Its best stat lies in HP. It can't be better in this regard" or something to that effect. Does this mean it has 31 HP IVs or whatever they are or could it still have 1? Does this mean It has the attack IV(EVs?) as well? And is the "overall potential IV's" thing random or not? I'm extremely sorry because I'm sure i'm not putting it in the most simple of terms but im a complete noob when it comes to IV/EV/Breeding. I just trying to get a a grasp of the concept. Everything I read is numbers numbers numbers. I was just wondering if you had the answers (if not some) to these questions. Thanks a ton!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Just a side note, but paragraphing makes the questions easier to read. Anyways:
Are the other vitamins really worth it? From what I understand (maybe not in every case) you want to EV train in two stats, which I suppose would be attack and health for slakoth/vigoroth/slaking. Vitamins can take a toll on the pocket book, but maybe it be worth it to buy 10 proteins and 10 (HP UPs?).
Well, if you're rich in the game they are the quicker and easier option, and save a lot of time for those without the EV-boosting items and/or Pokerus. As for the 'two stats' thing - it really depends on the Pokemon and what you want to do with it. For every Pokemon there's often a few possible EV spreads, some which are for as much as possible in two stats only (for instance a fast physical attacker with Attack and Speed) and some for three or maybe even four. But that's another case in itself and probably more suited for the likes of the Competitive Battling Centre section in regards to what EVs to give.
But thanks, that link and explanation helped alot actually...:D but I have some IV questions. Slakoth's father is a Ditto who has the "likes to thrash about" characteristic and it was holding a Power Bracer at the time Slakoth was bred, so shouldn't all of its sibilings have that characteristic as well? Or is it not 100% for passing characteristic? Because some of them (don't ask me how) have the "often doses off" characteristic.
It passes on the Pokemon's IV, not the characteristic. The characteristic message is for the highest stat the Pokemon has, which isn't necessarily an IV of 31 for Attack with that 'Likes to thrash about' message. (For instance it could be 26, or 21, just as long as it was higher than any other IV the Ditto had). That could explain why some of them have that message as a different IV is passed down/obtained. (Also note that feature is only in HGSS/BW, not DPPt).
The stat judge then says "Its best stat lies in HP. It can't be better in this regard" or something to that effect. Does this mean it has 31 HP IVs or whatever they are or could it still have 1?
If it says it can't be better in that regard, then it is at 31 for that stat.
Does this mean It has the attack IV(EVs?) as well?
IVs, not EVs - every Pokemon including hatched ones hav 0 EVs when first encounter/obtained. And it would have some IV for attack, but I believe he would have also said Attack couldn't be better in that regard if it had a perfect IV as well (in other words, if there are two best stats in terms of IVs, I believe both would have been mentioned).
And is the "overall potential IV's" thing random or not? I'm extremely sorry because I'm sure i'm not putting it in the most simple of terms but im a complete noob when it comes to IV/EV/Breeding. I just trying to get a a grasp of the concept. Everything I read is numbers numbers numbers. I was just wondering if you had the answers (if not some) to these questions. Thanks a ton!
Overall potential is basically the sum of all the IVs for each stat. So 'better than average' overall potential means that overall the average IV in each stat is better than 15, but it doesn't mean that each stat necessarily has an IV of 15 or better.

Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2012
Well, if you're rich in the game they are the quicker and easier option, and save a lot of time for those without the EV-boosting items and/or Pokerus. As for the 'two stats' thing - it really depends on the Pokemon and what you want to do with it. For every Pokemon there's often a few possible EV spreads, some which are for as much as possible in two stats only (for instance a fast physical attacker with Attack and Speed) and some for three or maybe even four. But that's another case in itself and probably more suited for the likes of the Competitive Battling Centre section in regards to what EVs to give.

OK, thanks for clarifying

It passes on the Pokemon's IV, not the characteristic. The characteristic message is for the highest stat the Pokemon has, which isn't necessarily an IV of 31 for Attack with that 'Likes to thrash about' message. (For instance it could be 26, or 21, just as long as it was higher than any other IV the Ditto had). That could explain why some of them have that message as a different IV is passed down/obtained. (Also note that feature is only in HGSS/BW, not DPPt).

So is it safe to say that Slakoth has the Attack Ditto passed on and the HP(from somewhere) on top of that? Or any stat for that matter, even if it says its best is in something else?

If it says it can't be better in that regard, then it is at 31 for that stat. IVs, not EVs - every Pokemon including hatched ones hav 0 EVs when first encounter/obtained. And it would have some IV for attack, but I believe he would have also said Attack couldn't be better in that regard if it had a perfect IV as well (in other words, if there are two best stats in terms of IVs, I believe both would have been mentioned).

Are you positive? I've continued to breed Slakoth and Ditto but none of them have had a dual analysis from our good friend the judge.

Overall potential is basically the sum of all the IVs for each stat. So 'better than average' overall potential means that overall the average IV in each stat is better than 15, but it doesn't mean that each stat necessarily has an IV of 15 or better.

So their overall IV potential is completely dependent on the parents? Does this mean I have to selectively inbreed my precious Slakoth for better stats?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
So is it safe to say that Slakoth has the Attack Ditto passed on and the HP(from somewhere) on top of that? Or any stat for that matter, even if it says its best is in something else?
It will have that Attack stat of Ditto's if you're doing the Power items breeding trick in HGSS (or BW). HP could be from the other parent or could be just from luck.
Are you positive? I've continued to breed Slakoth and Ditto but none of them have had a dual analysis from our good friend the judge.
I've had such messages before, although granted it was in BW, but I would be surprised if they hadn't coded for it in HGSS. Note the chances of a Pokemon having two stats both equal and the best aren't that great. The perfect HP IV could have been just from luck as well.
So their overall IV potential is completely dependent on the parents? Does this mean I have to selectively inbreed my precious Slakoth for better stats?
No, only partically. Basically in breeding up to three IVs can be passed down from the parents (three get picked randomly and may overlap in at least some games, meaning less than three may be passed down in the end, and the Power items can allow you to pass specific IVs), and the remaining IVs are randomly generated.

Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2012
It will have that Attack stat of Ditto's if you're doing the Power items breeding trick in HGSS (or BW). HP could be from the other parent or could be just from luck.

if the judge acknowledges the HP stat (which he does as a 31) And the ditto had the Power Bracer (to pass on Ditto's 31 Attack) Then it would seem to me that it would in fact have have both of those stats,even though he doesn't say it.

I just looked on Bulbapedia on the "Stats Judge" Page and it said this:

"In Johto, he cycles through the stats in the following order: HP, Attack, Defense, Speed, Special Attack, Special Defense. If a different Pokémon is shown, then the cycle will not reset. "

Then for Black and White it said this:

"Similar to the stat judge in Generation IV, the Judge will describe the Pokémon's "potential" which is based on the sum of all six IVs, as well as the stat with the highest IV and its range. In the case whereby there is a tie between the stats of the highest IVs, the Judge will list out all the stats instead of one, in the order: HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed. "

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Well there you go, they didn't code that bit in for HGSS. Note though you'd still want to check if he has perfect attack (unless he says it for at least most of the other offspring that it does) as him not saying it doesn't mean it does have it (again, it could have been an IV of 26 for instance. Which is pretty good in itself, mind.)

Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2012
Merged with the Help thread.

Anyways, there are actually multiple ways to EV train, but what you have done is right if you are just asking on what to do in regards to Attack EVs. Proteins aren't needed but they do help a lot so using them before any training is correct (10 = 100 EVs).

As for what to battle... well, it depends on what game it is and how many EVs you want. If you want the max 252 attack EVs (max is really 255 but the extra 3 won't do anything) for instance, then you just need 152 after the Proteins. If you beat up Pokemon that give 1EV in attack each with Pokerus that doubles it and the Power Bracer then you'll have (1+4)*2 = 10 EVs from each kill - so 15 such Pokemon killed would do already get you to 150 EVs in that stat, plus another 100 from Proteins. But it does depend on how you battle and all, and EV guides can get into more specifics. Basically it's just a bit of maths and planning in what you train against and how you go about it.

DPPt has Machoke/Bibarel - Route 211 East, and HGSS has Goldeen and Seaking on various routes (42, 9, 10, Mt Mortar...) for Attack EVs. Here's a list for all of them and an extensive description on EVs too.

And yes, you can give it more vitamins of different stats too - the limit of 10 is for each kind of medicine.

Wait a second, would it dilute the EV spread if I use 10 if each?

Last edited:

Garrabutártulo

A wild Garrabutártulo appears!
Years
I'm not entirely sure this question belongs to this thread, but couldn't find a better place to ask it.
I know skitty's normalize ability makes thunder wave affect ground types (since it's no longer an electric move) but would toxic affect steel types? I know poison types can't be poisoned. Steel types are inmune to poison attacks, but can they be poisoned by a normal type toxic?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I'm not entirely sure this question belongs to this thread, but couldn't find a better place to ask it.
I know skitty's normalize ability makes thunder wave affect ground types (since it's no longer an electric move) but would toxic affect steel types? I know poison types can't be poisoned. Steel types are inmune to poison attacks, but can they be poisoned by a normal type toxic?

I just tested this on PO and it didn't work. Steel types cannot be poisoned no matter what it seems. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back