• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] My first Pokemon fan game

Years
Okay even though my spare time is so much less these days. I've decided just to go ahead and have some fun making my own fan pokemon game. It will probably take me a massive amount of time to finish because I'll only get a hour or 2 a day maybe more depends on the day, but hey as long as I have fun right. Anyways I have a few questions and also wanted to have a discussion with you guys on it and get your opinions. First the questions since they are so little. First question is where is the best places to get tile sets and sprites for RPG Maker XP. what are the best tips you can give when creating fanmon? Next one is there a program recommenced for making your own custom trainer sprite or can you use something like gimp without having any problems? The last question is this does pokemon essentials require an exact color pallet or can you change the colors of some things without any problems? Okay discussion time now my idea on this game has the region based on Egypt. I thought that would be pretty unique because I don't believe there has been a region based on that yet. I got the idea from the pokemon movie with Hoopa in it. That movie was one of the best. I want it to have original and fanmon that are based on animals there in real life. I also liked the idea of having in the intro of the coices for the trainer male,female or pokefan. I thought it would be interesting to have a third option of a sprite trainer dressed up like a pokemon and you play that way lol. I want the game play to be a little bit different as well. Like you'll get 3 choices instead of the one choice which is become the pokemon master. The first choice will be the pokemon gym leader (almost like pokemon master but with some tad differences). The second will be to become a professor in pokemonology like Oak. The third would be to become the ruler of that region like maybe a syndicate master lol. What do you guys think of this idea? Do you have any suggestions or advice?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 19, 2023
That's a lot of questions, here are some quick thoughts:

First question is where is the best places to get tile sets and sprites for RPG Maker XP.
You can find a lot of them in the Resources section or on the web in general.

what are the best tips you can give when creating fanmon?
I guess by fanmon you mean "fakemon"? Well apparently there is a lot of scepticism over here around games with fakemons. I think it is quite difficult, skills demanding and time consuming to have a Fakedex which has the quality of the official Pokedex. There are relatively few games with high quality animated front & backsprites, and many people complain that Fakemon are often not balanced enough from what I have seen. If you look at the most advanced Fakedex they are usually made by several spriters. As I am not a spriter myself I cannot advise you on that point though. Just try to add a single Fakemon to your game and then count how much time it takes.

Next one is there a program recommenced for making your own custom trainer sprite or can you use something like gimp without having any problems?
I am using Gimp and it works fine in my opinion.

The last question is this does pokemon essentials require an exact color pallet or can you change the colors of some things without any problems?
I am not sure exactly what you mean by "color pallet". You can change the colors of everything. I believe it is common practice to index Pokemon sprites though.

What do you guys think of this idea? Do you have any suggestions or advice?
If you look around here you have tons of ideas promoted by people who think their idea is fresh and great. We have far more ideas than finished games, so if I were you I would not expect people to get crazy about your starting idea. Do it, then show us your game once it's done and maybe you will have some people interested in your game.
Oh and finally, here is the most valuable advice I can give you: when you have a question, you should browse the forum or the wiki first. I guess 90-95% of the questions you might have when you start have already been answered somewhere.
Good luck!

Years
I am not sure exactly what you mean by "color pallet". You can change the colors of everything. I believe it is common practice to index Pokemon sprites
[My Answer]
A color pallet is a specific amount of colors. You know like when you paint a painting you have that round thing with all your desired colors of paint. Some games programs are finicky about colors and require a certain amount of colors like 15 or less. If you want to change the colors in them it can be very aggravating. I use to hack fire emblem roms and they had a specific amount of colors for there pallets. A games pallet is like the color of the sprites, map, and items. I asked because I didn't know if rpg xp was the same with being picky on colors and if pokemon in general always had to have certain colors or it would go haywire. Thanks for telling me though now my mind can rest at ease about that.

If you look around here you have tons of ideas promoted by people who think their idea is fresh and great. We have far more ideas than finished games, so if I were you I would not expect people to get crazy about your starting idea. Do it, then show us your game once it's done and maybe you will have some people interested in your game.

[My Answer]
I was expecting anyone to get hyped up and crazy about an idea ._. . To where you got that I don't know. I just wanted opinions and advice that's all not a fan club on a game idea lol XD. What do you mean by promoted anyway O.o? I will take that advice though thank you ^-^. I'm still new here so I'm learning my way around. When I get a demo done I'll show it. That's way better then discussing an idea . Much more fun for you guys to wish me luck.

Last edited:
Years
I want the game play to be a little bit different as well. Like you'll get 3 choices instead of the one choice which is become the pokemon master. The first choice will be the pokemon gym leader (almost like pokemon master but with some tad differences). The second will be to become a professor in pokemonology like Oak. The third would be to become the ruler of that region like maybe a syndicate master lol. What do you guys think of this idea? Do you have any suggestions or advice?

It's interesting to have a choices of endings, how soon into the game do you plan to choose the route ? and how should each goal be achieved ? also, what about the post game ?

Back