The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon: Main Series Games Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon
Do you think Z-moves were a good addition overall?

Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon Alola, and welcome to the Alola region, Trainer! This is the forum for the first games of the seventh generation, Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon! Are you Team Rowlet, Litten, or Popplio? Do you prefer Solgaleo or Lunala? How do you feel about Alola forms? Talk about those and more here!

Old 1 Week Ago (4:48 AM).
living limitless

Nature: Quiet
It's something I've been thinking about. Do you think SM (and well, seventh gen as a whole) would've been just fine without them?

i'll be waiting until the sky falls down

Relevant Advertising!

Old 1 Week Ago (11:35 AM).

Z-moves are helpful when battling against a Mega Pokemon and a Totem Pokemon. If the Mega Evolutions did not exist, then SM would have been fine without Z-moves.
    Old 1 Week Ago (12:52 PM).

It's a great question. Personally, I hate Z-moves. I think they were for the most part lazy additions to the games. A one time 'all-out' move which just kind of seemed like an easy leap to make, and perhaps unnecessary. Also, how many different ways of releasing a Pokemon's true power are there going to be?

Having said that, without them SM bring very little new to the table from a gameplay-in-battle perspective. Though that's not necessarily a bad thing. They also are the topic of so much discussion throughout the entirety of the story line. Kukui is obsessed with them, Lillie's whole 'Z-powered form', Captains and Kahunas all have their own unique ones to give etc.

On a quick side note, were they actually ever important at all? I mean the whole thing with Tapu Koko giving you the Z-ring makes it seem so vital when in reality you could very easily never use a single z-move, it's not important in Ultra Space... I digress.

Ultimately, I think they were okay additions for the Alola region, as long as they stay there. Z-moves would be even harder to ret-con in than Mega evolution, and I just don't think they're totally necessary. I didn't enjoy them but I know a lot of people did and that's cool. I apologize for the long-winded post, evidently I had put more thought toward the topic than I thought. There are still both positive and negative arguments I could make, but I'd love to hear from everyone else as well. In particular you, Colours as the OP.
      Old 1 Week Ago (7:38 PM).

Nature: Mild
        I liked seeing the different Z move animations. My favorite was Oceanic Operetta. I think they worked nicely into the story and they added extra to the region. I'm interested to see how they bring back Z-moves in the next gen.
        Old 6 Days Ago (1:59 PM). Edited 6 Days Ago by Kasreygan.

I don't like Z-moves either, I believe GF could've simply used Necrozma as the source of Mega evolutions and maybe introduce a few more megas (Still waiting on my mega-dragonite).. It's said In game that Necrozma irradiate worlds with its lights which either causes transmutations of rocks into Z-crystals or it's shattered pieces of him. It makes more sense if my Boi Necro was the true source, than the Ultimate Weapon (#FlowerPower) as the source of mega evolution. It's kinda a waste lore wise. These over powered, 1 shot kill moves that even hits through protect ruins the game for me, especially when opponents in the hax tree uses them. R.I.P 1000 win streak...

Also more mega evos...
          Old 6 Days Ago (2:03 PM).
          Simple Wanderer of the World... I come from the shadows.

Nature: Relaxed
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Kasreygan View Post
            I don't like Z-moves either, I believe GF could've just simply used Necrozma as the source of Mega evolutions and maybe introduce a few more megas (Still waiting on my mega-dragonite).. It's said In game that Necrozma irradiate worlds with its lights which either causes transmutations of rocks into Z-crystals or it's shattered pieces of him. It makes more sense to me than the Ultimate Weapon (#FlowerPower) is the source of mega evolution. It's kinda a waste lore wise. :/

Also more mega evos...
            While i think GF would do well with a few megas, i think they can't rn.

Pokemon Super Eevee Edition
            Pokemon Red Adventures
            Pokemon Ruby Destiny Series

Name: Nrop Rats
            Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
            Old 5 Days Ago (12:19 PM).

Such an aweful feature.. it was cool at first but watching the same scene every battle is tedious. I loved Mega evolutions way more..
              Old 5 Days Ago (2:27 PM).

Nature: Careful
                Personally, I like the idea of Z-moves, but the execution is a bit lackluster to say the least.

Z-moves can be very helpful in battle and are useful defensively, but for the most part, the reason why they fail is because there's no risk in using them. They barely affect the gameplay. I never worry if my opponent is going to use a Z-move and KO me because barely anyone even has them in the game so as a result, there isn't that much tension to begin with. Yeah the Kahuna's and special trainers may have them, but I expect that. It's the same problem with Megas (only a bit better here) in which you are waayy too powerful with this thing. And the fact that the game gives you so many options with them is even more insane.

I really wish there were more restrictions. Why not...have it be you can only have one Z-move on one Pokemon at all times? Why not make it so you can't use Z-moves in special story battles? I always hated how you could technically oneshot a Totem. You shouldn't be able to do that for pretty obvious reasons.

Overall, while I do enjoy them more than megas, they really are just a gimmick which is a shame.
                Old 5 Days Ago (5:17 PM).
                Nyoomster

Nature: Timid
                  Honestly, with the z-move changes, there' just pros and cons to it. Sure Mega Evolution was gone, but I think Z-Moves just provide something new overall to awe at and to play along with. It's amazing to see how far the meta has gotten from the mega evolution introduction in x and y to Z-moves in SM.
                  Old 3 Days Ago (1:27 PM).
                  良かったー

Nature: Hardy
                    I was iffy about them at first, and I still don't use them a lot, but I kinda like them. Compared to the Megas of Gen VI, this was a welcome addition to the game for me. It brings an interesting extra dynamic into battles.

Old 3 Days Ago (7:06 PM).
                    The typo Queen

Nature: Calm
                    It is the kind of changes that I don't mind in a game, but that I don't want to see them returns in the next ones. I don't mind them in SuMo or UsUm, but please don't make them return in the next games x.x

╔═════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
                    ★━━─ Oh, hey ━━─★

Quick Reply