• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

critique my team?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 22, 2019
So I wanted to raise a team from the VERY start of Moon version but need some help designing a team for both the story and wifi battles, here's my team so far, please tell me what else works:

Decidueye (shiny female)

Leaf Blade
Spirit Shackle
Sucker Punch
U-Turn

Item: Decidium Z

IV: ATK, SPE, HP

EV: 252 ATK, 252 SPE, 4 HP

Mimikyu (female)

Shadow Claw
Shadow Sneak
Swords Dance
Play Rough

IV: ATK, SpD, Spe
EV: 252 ATK, 252 Spe, 4 SpD

Item: Life Orb

Mawile

Play Rough
Iron Head
Crunch
Thunder Punch

IV: Atk, Def
EV: 252 ATK, 252 Def

Item: Mawilite

Anything good with these 3? I'm open to suggestions regarding a Mega tho, preferably NOT Mega Slowbro.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
Anything works in game, to be honest. You don't need to worry about IVs and EVs when you're playing through the game. Also, you haven't told us what their natures are, because it will affect your Pokemon in the long run. If that Mimikyu is Modest, for instance, or the Decidueye is Lax, then you'll have to go back to the drawing board. But if there's anything to go by, your Mawile's EVs are bad - just because it has max IVs in Attack and Defense it doesn't mean you EV in them - to survive longer, Mawile needs EVs in HP. With what you've got now, one special attack and your Mawile is dead, and it won't be able to fight back due to its middling Speed. Speaking of which, I don't see why it's got Crunch - it's best replaced with Sucker Punch.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 22, 2019
Generally speaking, most defensive sets will run 252 or 248HP EVs (depending on how badly hazards cripple it) and 252 EVs in the relevant defensive stat.

BULKY offensive sets will run 252/248HP EVs and 252 EVs in the relevant offensive state.

In terms of the three Pok?mon you have? I recommend an Adamant nature for your Decidueye and Mawile and a Jolly nature for Mimikyu. You also have three physical attackers on your team, which is I think a tad excessive when it comes to competitive battling. However if you're at least sticking to them, I would recommend at least one special attacker, one hazards setter and one support Pok?mon (whether this is a cleric or a support mon using status/defog etc).

I'm not 100% on what can and can't be used in Wi-Fi battling, but if you can use them then either Tapu Koko or Lele are definitely worth a spot in that team. Although bear in mind three of your Pok?mon are then shafted by Poison types (unless you're running a Scarf/Speedy Lele).

I'd rather not use the Tapu's because there are no good training areas after the story, also what would you suggest for a team with Mimikyu and Decidueye?

Their natures are: Decidueye is Jolly and Mimikyu is Adamant

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Normal battle rules allow all Pokemon to be above level 50 to become level 50, so level grinding doesn't matter. All that matters is the EV training. Therefore, the Tapus are fair game.

I'd rather have just Mimikyu and Mawile together because Decidueye is outclassed by other Ghost Pokemon like Alolan Marowak and Gengar, as well as Mimikyu itself due to its middling Speed:

Mimikyu:
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Claw
-Play Rough
-Shadow Sneak
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Ghostium Z

Mawile is better off with this set:
-Play Rough
-Sucker Punch
-Thunder Punch
-Fire Fang
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 92 HP/252 Atk/164 Spe
Ability: Intimidate/Hyper Cutter

The Speed investment allows Mawile to outspeed 0 Speed Skarmory, even under level 50 rules. Fire Fang is for Ferrothorn and Scizor, even if it means having to breed for it. Mawile's Speed is terrible, so it needs Sucker Punch to stand a chance against offensive teams.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 22, 2019
Normal battle rules allow all Pokemon to be above level 50 to become level 50, so level grinding doesn't matter. All that matters is the EV training. Therefore, the Tapus are fair game.

I'd rather have just Mimikyu and Mawile together because Decidueye is outclassed by other Ghost Pokemon like Alolan Marowak and Gengar, as well as Mimikyu itself due to its middling Speed:

Mimikyu:
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Claw
-Play Rough
-Shadow Sneak
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Ghostium Z

Mawile is better off with this set:
-Play Rough
-Sucker Punch
-Thunder Punch
-Fire Fang
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 92 HP/252 Atk/164 Spe
Ability: Intimidate/Hyper Cutter

The Speed investment allows Mawile to outspeed 0 Speed Skarmory, even under level 50 rules. Fire Fang is for Ferrothorn and Scizor, even if it means having to breed for it. Mawile's Speed is terrible, so it needs Sucker Punch to stand a chance against offensive teams.

What else would work? I'd like to build a team of six

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
What else would work? I'd like to build a team of six

Tapu Koko pairs well with Mawile to power up Thunder Punch with Electric Surge and bring it in safely with U-turn/Volt Switch:
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Dazzling Gleam
-U-turn
-Taunt/Volt Switch
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Magnet/Zap Plate

As I mentioned before, you don't need to worry about levels too much if you're playing Normal/Flat battle rules.

Magnezone is also worth considering in order to remove problem Steel Pokemon for Mimikyu. Be sure to take your pick between either that or Koko:
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Flash Cannon
-Hidden Power (Fire)
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 140 HP/192 SAtk/176 Spe (Assault Vest) or 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe (Choice Specs)
Item: Assault Vest/Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull

Mimikyu doesn't have the best Speed out there, so Smeargle or Shuckle can set up Sticky Web to slow down grounded Pokemon:

Smeargle:
-Sticky Web
-Stealth Rock
-Skill Swap
-Taunt/Memento
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo

Shuckle:
-Sticky Web
-Stealth Rock
-Encore
-Knock Off/Infestation/Toxic
Nature: Bold/Impish
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
Item: Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy

Ash-Greninja is also a strong wallbreaker when paired with Mawile:
-Hydro Pump
-Dark Pulse
-Water Shuriken
-U-turn/Spikes/Ice Beam/Taunt
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs/Mystic Water/Splash Plate
Ability: Battle Bond

Wash Rotom is also worth considering to cover for Mawile's weaknesses and another method of getting Mawile in safely:
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Will-o-Wisp
-Pain Split
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/200 Def/60 Spe
Item: Leftovers

Back