• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monkey see, monkey do!

heLLkitsune

There's nothing for me here...
Years
Mankey see, mankey do!

Pokemon challenge:
MANKEY SEE, MANKEY DO!
Concept:
In this challenge your goal is to beat the game with a team based on Pokemon you have encountered in trainer battles. There are two types of challenges. The first type is where you can only use Pokemon you have seen being used by a trainer and thus, everyone will almost start with the same team, but will end the challenge with different Pokemon. The second type is that you are not allowed to use Pokemon you have seen being used (you defeated the trainer and you realized that the Pokemon the trainer was using wasn't worthy joining your team). This would limit the amount of Pokemon you could get and also it would make you plan your route (so you would not encounter Pokemon you want to use).

Rules:
1.All PokeCommunity rules apply.
2.Trading/Hacking Pokemon or eggs isn't allowed because you could hack in a pokemon which is not used in the game and therefore you could use it through the whole game.
3.You can only trade for the purpose of evolution.
4.Emulators are allowed.
5.HM slaves are allowed.
6.Legendary Pokemon are not allowed.
7.This challenge is for and of the main series RPG games (RBYG/GSC/RSE/FRLG/DPPt/HGSS/BW).
8.Your goal is to:

*RBGY/FRLG: Defeat the E4
*GSC/HGSS: Defeat Red
RS: Defeat E4
E: Defeat Steven
DPPt: Defeat E4
BW: Defeat Alder

9.Please update! We want to hear about your adventure.
10.HAVE FUN!!!

Normal mode:
In normal mode you can only use Pokemon you have seen being used. In that case, if you have seen a trainer using Pidgey, you can use it as long as it remains a Pidgey. You can only evolve it if you've seen another trainer using Pidgeotto.

Reverse mode:
In reverse mode you can use any Pokemon in the game you haven't seen being used. For ex. in Pokemon Fire Red, from the point on when you defeated Brock, you can't use Geodude, Sandshrew nor Onix and thus you can't use their evolutions. You have to watch your step!

Sing-up form:
Username:
Game:
Mode:

Challengers:
RBGY: Myrrhman(Blue, Normal)
GSC: tente2(Crystal, Normal)
RSE: heLL15(Ruby, Normal)
FRLG:
eLuigi-San(Leaf Green, Normal)
DPPt:
HGSS:
BW:
Other:

Last edited:

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Whaaaaaaaaaat?!?!??!?! No challengers yet? I'm definetely changing that.

Username:
tente2
Game: Crystal
Mode: I'm far too much of a wimp for reverse. But maybe after this Normal Mode, I could try reverse?

I saw this on the "Syd is lazy ):<" board and I was about to PM you about making it when I saw this. I'm just a little confused as to why it's not getting any attention. :/

...Also, shouldn't it be "Mankey see, Mankey do" like Myrrhman said?

Anyway, if I complete this challenge, it would be the very first challenge I ever complete. *crosses fingers* I always never complete the other ones I sign up for...*sigh*

Last edited:

heLLkitsune

Years
Whaaaaaaaaaat?!?!??!?! No challengers yet? I'm definetely changing that.

Username:
tente2
Mode: I'm far too much of a wimp for reverse. But maybe after this Normal Mode, I could try reverse?

I saw this on the "Syd is lazy ):<" board and I was about to PM you about making it when I saw this. I'm just a little confused as to why it's not getting any attention. :/

...Also, shouldn't it be "Mankey see, Mankey do" like Myrrhman said?

Anyway, if I complete this challenge, it would be the very first challenge I ever complete. *crosses fingers*

Question, can we use are starters? Since I don't believe we ever see another trainer use them, but since they're given to us...
Aww, I'm totally blind. I didn't see that post, ah well. You're signed up and about the question, you can't use your starter, sry, rules are rules, albeit in some games there are trainers that use starters. Anyway, good luck and have fun :)!

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
You're signed up and about the question, you can't use your starter, sry, rules are rules, albeit in some games there are trainers that use starters. Anyway, good luck and have fun :)!

That's fine then, it wouldn't really be challenging otherwise. It'll be interesting to use Rattata for the first part of the game! XD

And I will! Thanks!

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I'm going to go ahead and sign up for a normal challenge on Blue. I won't be getting to it for a while (challenges are backed up right now) but I'll hurry to it as fast as i can.

Name: Myrrhman
Game: Blue
Mode: Normal

Quick question. For the reverse mode, how does the Elite Four work? Can I use a Machamp just through Bruno, or can I use it for the whole challenge?

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
First update, here we come!
Spoiler:
Pokemon I've seen:
Spoiler:

Question. Saying hypothetically we encounter the 3rd stage final evolution of a 1st stage pokemon we have, but we've never seen the direct, 2nd stage evolution. What happens then? Can we evolve or not?​

Last edited:

heLLkitsune

Years
My game update is coming soon :).
@myrrhman I forgot to ask the community about the same problem. What do you guys think? I personally wouldn't allow the usage of Machamp after you defeated Bruno. After all, you've got to follow rules.
@tente2 I would allow that, yes. I think it's fair enough to use the 3rd evolution pokemon if you didn't see 2nd evolution of that line, but with the thesis that you have to evolve it as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
heLLkitsune - you realise Bellsprout is only 2x weak to Fire, right? Fire is super-effective against Grass but not Poison.

Otherwise, love the challenge and love the updates. May seriously consider doing this challenge in the future when I have less on my plate.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
heLLkitsune - you realise Bellsprout is only 2x weak to Fire, right? Fire is super-effective against Grass but not Poison.

You mean me, right? I believe heLLkitsune hasn't even talked about Bellsprout :P

And I did not know that! It's still good to have a 4x resister to fire though.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
You mean me, right? I believe heLLkitsune hasn't even talked about Bellsprout :P

And I did not know that! It's still good to have a 4x resister to fire though.
Nope. Wooper's Water/Ground. Ground takes normal damage from Fire attacks. I think you're thinking of Rock.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Username: KoboraX (I perfer Blissy)
Game: White
Mode: Reverse Mode (I'm constructing a team that won't be ripped apart due to the standards of Reverse Mode)

Since Reverse Mode is an ultimate nightmare, I'm gonna start now.

My Starter:
498.gif

Blissy's Torture White Mankey Reverse Run
(also known as nuR esreveR yeknaM etihW erutroT s'yssliB)

Episode 1 - The Nightmare Begins

Ok...time for the curelest challenge I've ever done to begin. Now, I start off by starting stuff up and naming my character and all that stuff. Now, time for Episode 1-1, Nuvema Town.
Episode 1-1
Nuvema Town
Ok, starting off with the box. Time to get my Tepig. Bianca is slow.

*30 seconds later*

Yay, I got Tepig! Naturally, Bianca picks Snivy and Cheren is stuck with Oshawott. He was gonna pick it anyway. Now, battle time! Right off the bat, Snivy is off the list. Tackle about 69 times (not really), and Bianca gets owned. Cheren heals my Tepig with his wizerd powers, then it's time to face off with Cheren. Later on, Cheren is going to drive me insane with rage, but not yet. Now Oshawott is gone. Sad face. Awesome level up from owning Oshawott. Awesome. Almost lost due to a critical first attack. After telling mom about Bianca decimating my room, I get my party healed again, and it's off to Professer Juniper's lab. First, I pay Bianca a visit at her house. First impression of her father, "umad bro?"

After seeing the umad father of Bianca, it's really time to go see Professer Juniper. Time to nickname my Tepig Blaze the Second, or Blaze II, as a refrence to my Blaziken in Ruby named Blaze. After that, I get a Pokedex. Awesome. Upon going outside, mom gives me the Town Map, a useful item. Now, time to go to Route 1. Now, luckily for me, there are no trainers. A tutorial on catching pokemon, 5 Poke Balls, and some grinding. Accumula Town is up ahead, where a new encounter awaits me.
Episode 1-2
N, the one guy who is really gonna ruin my run of Reverse Mode...
Ah, Accumula Town. A bit more tutorial, then it's time to face off with the one guy who will drive me insane during this run. Time to meet Team Plasma and all of their "liberate the pokemon" crap. After that, there's...him! N. This guy's team changes with the encounter, which forses me to make my team completely different. I think he hit his head as a baby. This battle, all he has is a Purrloin, which eliminates that off my list. I have to admit, N has some awesome battle music. Although, he was easily owned by Blaze II. Since three pokemon are eliminated, this part is done. Next time, it's the travel to Striaton City to challeng Cress.

Team Blissy

498.gif

Blaze II (Tepig) Lv. 9
Nature: Bashful
Moves: Tackle, Tail Whip, Ember, Odor Sleuth

Unusable Pokemon
Spoiler:

AnjinMiura_PL

Challenger Extraordinaire (?)
Years
Spoiler:

Mankey see, Mankey do! I'll start after unifying Kanto (I mean after I finish le poison monotype challenge, recently stopped as I'm tired a little bit). I can sense a great potential in creating stuff here - I'm in. Just let me start later, but not that later. Is it okay?

Name: Ober
Mode: Normal

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
I wanted to put this up yesterday but Pokecommunity was down D:<

Also, @Myrrhman--I really suck with typing coverages. XD

Spoiler:
Pokemon I've seen so far:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
I wanted to put this up yesterday but Pokecommunity was down D:<

Also, @Myrrhman--I really suck with typing coverages. XD
hey man, you really need to put your updates in spoiler tags rather than quote tags, otherwise the post is REALLY long and stretches the page. Ober did that too, by the way, but he saw the light...

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years

Episode 2 - This List Grows a Lot

Now that we took care of N, let's head to Striaton City where we will go and battle Cress.

Episode 2-1
The Road to Striaton City
Spoiler:

Episode 2-2
The Dreamyard and Gym Leader Cress
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Episode 2-3
Here Comes Team Plasma!
Spoiler:

Team Blissy

498.gif

Blaze II (Tepig) Lv. 15 @ Nothing
Moves: Tackle, Defense Curl, Ember, Flame Charge

HM Slaves: Pansage

Unusable Pokemon
Spoiler:

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
hey man, you really need to put your updates in spoiler tags rather than quote tags, otherwise the post is REALLY long and stretches the page. Ober did that too, by the way, but he saw the light...

Is that better? ;)

And I think I know what my new team member will be... MUAHAHAHAHA *evil jazz hands*

*raises hand* Question, I'm not entirely sure how trading with emulators works yet (I *think* there are patchs out there that do that but I'm not sure if I would really want to go ahead and download something like that yet) so could we hack trade evolutions?

I think, for Pokemon that evolve with trading + an item, they could evolve by using the item on them (similarily to the evolution stones and such) but I don't really know how you could establish there being a way to "fairly" evolve Graveler, Haunter, Kadabra or Machoke :/

Last edited:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years

Episode 3 - So Much Plasma!

One badge so far. Not even close to eight badges, but there was the first battling encounter with Team Plasma. Time to keep going.

Episode 3-1
Round 3 with Cheren

Spoiler:

Episode 3-2
The Road to Nacrene City

Spoiler:

Episode 3-3
N, Nacrene Gym, and Gym Leader Lenora!

Spoiler:

Team Blissy

499.gif

Blaze II (Pignite) Lv. 21 @ Nothing
Moves: Tackle, Arm Thrust, Smog, Flame Charge

HM Slaves: Pansage (Cut)

Pidove (Fly)

Unusable Pokemon

Spoiler:

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Finally somebody else posts here. I prepared this update like four days ago but nobody was posting and I didn't want to update my own post because that's losing a potential post for my post count.

EDIT: *Finally* uploaded the screenies.

Spoiler:

Pokemon I've seen so far:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years

Episode 3.5 - This is pretty much a solo run at this point...
How far have I gone using just my starter? Pretty much this whole run so far. I really hope I get a new party member eventually. Sooner than I expect.
Episode 3.5-1
FINALLY! A new party member at last!
[SPOILER]Ok, time to go hunt down Team Plasma. Although, upon leaving, some guy comes over. He's Castelia City's Gym Leader. Right after that, Bianca and Cheren come over. Stalkers. Anyway, I get a Dowsing Machine, a very useful item for once. Anyway, useless talking, on to Pinwheel Forest, BUT, I need to go catch something for an in-game trade. Yup, you guessed it, a Petilil. Thing is, I had to fight off two Sewaddle in a double battle, then a Sandile off a Team Plasma guy before getting to a Petilil. After catching one, I dash back to Nacrene for a trade for a Cottonee.

*one trade later*

ghhfhfhghf! Prankster FTW! I'm gonna cut this short to grind Fluffee up to par with Blaze II.[/SPOILER]​

Team Blissy

499.gif

Blaze II (Pignite) Lv. 22 @ Nothing
Ability: Blaze
Moves: Tackle, Arm Thrust, Smog, Flame Charge

546.gif

Fluffee (Cottonee) Lv. 15 @ Cheri Berry
Nature: Modest
Ability: Prankster
Moves: Growth, Leech Seed, Stun Spore, Mega Drain

HM Slaves: Pansage (Cut)