• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dad?

Sirfetch’d

Have you ever wondered where the dad is? In all but RSE the protagonist has only ever been seen with their mother. So where is dad? In RSE he is simply a Gym Leader, but he is nowhere to be seen in any other games. Do you think he is sometimes dead? Is he sometimes a leader in another region? Did the mom just get around? Why do you think the dad never appears?

#isthenumbersign
Years
I've never thought about it tbh. It seems like the whole concept of family isn't all that important in Pokemon, at least not until Bianca's troubles in BW. I mean your mom doesn't even really care that you're going on a never-ending adventure. But yeah idk about the dad, once they started the games with just the mom I guess they never wanted to deviate from that I guess.

Years
I always figured they were either dead or off on their own journey, which may explain why the protagonist's mom is so okay with their son/daughter going off on a journey, following in their father's footsteps, etc.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I never thought about it, really. I grew up in a single parent home and thought it was normal, so I never really blinked twice about missing a dad in the games since I didn't have one that lived with me. -shrug-

Sirfetch’d

I never thought about it, really. I grew up in a single parent home and thought it was normal, so I never really blinked twice about missing a dad in the games since I didn't have one that lived with me. -shrug-

I guess if you think about it, it is normal, but I just can't believe that he would only appear in one game. You think they would at least give some backstory about him.

Years
when I first started playing pokemon (started on red which was my brothers but got my own game on it when crystal was new out) I was young, the whole missing dad thing didn't even cross my mind until now...

So heres what I think happened: when the player was born the dad was already on a journey to catch 'em all but of course, wasn't as successful as the protagonist of the game and the news just never got to him. So he just doesn't know yet... and the mum doesn't want the kid to find out so hasn't told him anything and sent him on a journey before he gets older and realises his dad is missing.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
this may sound dark, and un pokemon.
But I heard rumour of R/B/Y that you're dad died in a war in kanto.
It made some sense, the whole region is empty and lacks that certain element which made you believe life was brilliant. Lt.Surge mentions how electric pokemon helped him in a war, and all the citizens tend to be children, old people or criminals.

As for G/S/C, I haven't a clue.
But I believe there's some mention of your dad in Platinum when Barry's dad is mentioned also.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I've thought about it a few times, but nothing that has really left me wondering. What I think is most likely would be if the dad was out on his own journey, since that's apparently the same thing with Ash from the anime's dad, and even Norman from Hoenn has been on his own journey before he settled down as a gym leader. So I guess it's just a common theme all over the Pokemon franchise.

As for your theory, Nintendork, it could very well be true, but I don't think it's very likely. The only person that ever mentions the war throughout the whole game is Lt. Surge, and he is a lieutenant after all, so it could've been another place than Kanto, although then again, it could be that most people just wanted to forget the war. I don't really think it's too dark for the first generation games, considering how many dark concepts and theories that are, just based around that region.

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
Years
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Since my parents were never there in my life, I have never really thought of it.

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I've always wondered this too. It would have been nice to at least have some other appearances; maybe we'll get one next gen.

93Aiwass

Years

Maybe Brock's father is Ash's father too and we're just waiting for the big reveal? ;-P

"Ash, I am your father" - Brock's father

Sirfetch’d

Maybe Brock's father is Ash's father too and we're just waiting for the big reveal? ;-P

"Ash, I am your father" - Brock's father

LOL. This is funny because he fathered sooooo many kids.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I think it's the same with the whole "police force/government" and "educational system" thing: it's there, somewhere, just not important enough to the plot to really bring up in-depth.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I never thought much about this, but I'm guessing that the dad went off on his journey or he left home for business.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
To be honest, I always thought he was just out at work in the PokeMart or Silph Co or whatever stereotypical big business was in the Pokemon region of choice. Whenever I turned off the game, I just assumed he came home for the day. Looking back on it, it's kinda cute, I guess. :D

Years
To be honest, I always thought he was just out at work in the PokeMart or Silph Co or whatever stereotypical big business was in the Pokemon region of choice. Whenever I turned off the game, I just assumed he came home for the day. Looking back on it, it's kinda cute, I guess. :D
That's what I thought. Dad's at work. Mom's at home. "Traditional" and all that. After all, the games are made in Japan and if you're a salaryman then you're gonna be at work all the time.

93Aiwass

Years
I never thought much about this, but I'm guessing that the dad went off on his journey or he left home for business.

Well, on the way to Viridian City from Cinnabar, perhaps he made a stop in Pallet Town... :cheeky:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
The thought of the protagonist's dad never crossed my mind when I played the games. I always assumed that either the dad is deceased, or is in some business trip outside the region. As Scarf mentioned, it can also be traditional. The dad can be at work most of the time.

Back