• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky is 8 years old now!

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
As the title says, on the 18th of April 2009 Pokèmon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky was released in Japan and so it turns 8 today.

Spoiler:

I only got to play this game last January and I think it was probably the best game I've ever played on my Nintendo DS, it will always have a special place in my heart. <3
The story is attractive, the soundtracks are really intense and well made, the characters are nicely crafted and while the gameplay might be a little bit repetitive at times the ending is very rewarding.
And speaking of the ending, that was one of the most dramatic scenes I've ever seen since I started playing video games, I really felt it and I don't deny it: it made me cry... a lot. ;-;

So what about you then? Have you ever played it? If yes, what did you like about it? What didn't you like instead? Have you played other games of the same series like Explorers of Darkness? I'm curious. :3

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
For God's Arceus' sake, eight years. I feel old.

Certainly, it is a marvellous game they have brought out.
Mystery Dungeon have always been one of my favorite games of the Pokémon franchise.

It has a fantastic plot, great characters (Wigglytuff goes really deep) great soundtrack, actually solid post-game content.
It is one of the most complete releases yet.

Years
This was the only one of that 'generation' of mystery dungeon games that I haven't played, but explorers of darkness was pretty good so I've got no doubt sky was as well!

Raffy98

Years
I'm currently playing it, but I can't get past the Manetric gang part. :(

So far the game has been good though, great story.

I've had some problems too but I managed to get past that by trying to use "Smokescreen" at the right moments! ^_^
What Pokèmon are you using?

Raffy98

Years
I have Riolu and Pikachu, along with other random team members I recruit.

Oh, nice! I used Charmander (that was me) and Eevee, I also recruited a Mareep and another Pokèmon which I can't remember right now haha.

pkmin3033

Explorers of Sky was great! It wasn't as good as Blue Rescue Team - which had every Pokemon released at the time available, and Friend Areas, which made a bigger difference than I would have thought for what is in reality a very minor aesthetic feature - but it was better than Explorers of Time/Darkness for those extra little episodes and the inclusion of Shaymin.

It's a shame PMD hasn't been as good since, really. In a lot of ways it's more appealing than the mothership titles: visually they're gorgeous, the gameplay somehow never gets repetetive, it's actually challenging - my god, those 99 floor, level reset to 1, no items dungeons... - and it actually manages to tell a non-intrusive story that, most importantly, you are part of. It's also not the "take over the world" rubbish every mothership title since Gen III has been burdened with.

We need another PMD like this. Or a re-release on the Switch Virtual Console. Either or. Suddenly I'm very nostalgic. xD

SirDolan

Relicanth ❤
Years
PMD:EotS turned 8 two days ago... I'm old as hell.

I absolutely loved this game. I managed to persuade my parents to buy it for me when it first came out in England, and it quickly became my favourite Pokémon game. It still is. Everything about this game was perfect to me. The story was gripping and intense and emotional; the characters were well thought out and full of life; the plot twists had me reeling. I'm not gonna lie, every single time I get to that part of the game (you guys know which part), I cry. Many years on, and I still cry despite the fact that I know what's coming.

I had a lot of trouble when it came to the main story boss battle, and I had even more trouble when it came to the post game boss battle. Cresselia, y u gotta be so weak??

Since PMD:EotS, the PMD series hasn't been too great. I held some hope for Super Mystery Dungeon, but I didn't enjoy very much. Maybe one day they'll create a PMD game that was as good as Explorers of the Sky.

Raffy98

Years
I'm not gonna lie, every single time I get to that part of the game (you guys know which part), I cry. Many years on, and I still cry despite the fact that I know what's coming.
And about that youtube decided to make me sad again showing me this in my recommended videos:

Spoiler:

I share everything you said there, still to this day if I listen to that soundtrack my heart starts pounding and my brain starts bringing up that scene, which I will never forget.
But enough of that {XD}, I read you played Super Mystery Dungeon, you didn't like it?
I was thinking to buy one between SMD and Gates to Infinity...

SirDolan

Relicanth ❤
Years
I read you played Super Mystery Dungeon, you didn't like it?
I was thinking to buy one between SMD and Gates to Infinity...

It was okay, but there was something about the game that I just didn't like. It didn't sit right with me. Probably my fault for building a high expectation of it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good game. If you're deciding between SMD and Gates to Infinity, I definitely recommend buying SMD. Gates to Infinity...it doesn't deserve words. xD

Raffy98

Years
It was okay, but there was something about the game that I just didn't like. It didn't sit right with me. Probably my fault for building a high expectation of it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good game. If you're deciding between SMD and Gates to Infinity, I definitely recommend buying SMD. Gates to Infinity...it doesn't deserve words. xD

Thanks for the advice! Is Gates to Infinity so bad? Just wondering. ^_^

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
PMD: EOS is definitely my favourite PMD game and possibly one of my favourite games as a whole. Great story, gameplay, and everything, and I'm even still playing it even up to this day. I can safely say that PMD is my favourite spin off series thanks to this one.

It was bad in my opinion. Others might tell you different, but the story was mediocre compared to Red & Blue Rescue Teams and PMD2.

I don't know why some people think EOS was the last good PMD, honestly. To me, it's always been the same old good thing. For GTI's case, while I can't speak for others, it was a tolerable game in my books. Yes, it's not amazing as EOS, and yes, amongst all the 3 PMD titles I played, it's the one I had the least play time with. But the negatives end there and overall? I liked it. The gameplay was still fun, and the plot was alright in my books, I mean, the games are all targeted at kids, of course the plot would seem a bit childish at times. Of course, no personality quiz at the beginning was a bit of a turnoff, but I ignored that and I overall had a good experience with the game.Same with SMD. Even though it's my least favourite of the 3 PMD titles I played and it was definitely a bit rough around the edges, I still found it enjoyable, really.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
Thanks for the advice! Is Gates to Infinity so bad? Just wondering. ^_^
I haven't played it myself, but I have seen a playthrough of it. I can't say the story itself is bad, but from what I have seen there aren't as many in-game features, post-game content, or difficulty in contrast to its predecessor.

Explorers of Sky was great! It wasn't as good as Blue Rescue Team
I do not really agree to this statement. I loved this game, I cannot recall how many hours I played it. I think enough hours so that my cartridge doesn't work any more.

There are many things amazing with it, but the main story feels like to have a downside.
Though being the first making it excusable, I feel it is a bit short. It has a decent number of nice post-game episodes,
but it does not always feel very chronological. It's more like a separate number of episodes that sometimes link with the main plot or each other, mostly to get to meet all the legendaries. EOS's post-game is more continuous and goes on with the main plot, which is longer and better than PMD:B. The game has also more features.

Even so, I think it is a close second/third (I can't pick between it and PSMD) as it has the most nostalgia to me and just tops out on the soundtrack to EOS.

Back