• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Net Neutrality: Reddit comes out strong for it

string555

Banned
Years
Meanwhile, I'll go back to downloading anime butts like I've been doing long before Net Neutrality was even heard of.

{XD}

Wait, is that really the number 1 thing you would have missed if Net Neutrality was removed?

{XD}

Even though I've tried to understand what they would have been thinking with this whole thing, since there's no way they couldn't have thought through all the drawbacks from it that many people have thought of, I still can't really understand what they were thinking with this.

Years
Well a New York congressman introduced a bill in favor of nn and I think we will have enough support in congress to pass it. On top of it I read also that NY is the first state to be taking the FCC to court over nn.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Well a New York congressman introduced a bill in favor of nn and I think we will have enough support in congress to pass it. On top of it I read also that NY is the first state to be taking the FCC to court over nn.

Do you mean that bill introduced on the 7th of December? This bill? So far, there's 24 cosponsers, but hasn't gotten past being introduced.

Years
I don't think he's out of touch, he's a smart man. Pathological liar (he's slipped up a few times) but smart. He's just wilfully ignoring facts and opinion of both the public and professionals.

He's revelling in the hate he's getting. That video seems more about taking the piss than actually trying to connect with people.

Last edited:

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
Ajit Pai willingly ignores the views of his critis and those who support net neutrality because he's content with the money being paid to him by the large telcos. They don't want net neutrality because it doesn't allow them to prioritise their own services.

Sure, you can still binge watch shows - as long as it's Comcast's own service and not another competitor like Netflix

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Even though I've tried to understand what they would have been thinking with this whole thing, since there's no way they couldn't have thought through all the drawbacks from it that many people have thought of, I still can't really understand what they were thinking with this.
They probably felt that there were benefits to doing this and that the benefits would outweigh enough the negatives. It's a standard part of right-wing ideology (most of the people currently part of the FCC leadership identify as Republican iirc) that de-regulation of corporations is a good thing. The idea as I understand it being (in theory) that giving corporations more "freedom" allows them to grow and prosper more, which in turn allows them to provide better goods and services to people, and so is a win-win.

It's not a belief that I personally have ever subscribed to though, given that history has shown that corporations are certainly willing to screw people over in order to increase profits (the sole thing they exist for) if given the chance....and nobody should ever expect them to do otherwise.

Years
Sucks that trump will veto the decision. So we got to put enough pressure to ensure that congress will overturn trumps veto.

I do hope as well that the courts take the pro net neutrality side than the anti ones.
Even if Trump did veto the Senate's vote, Congress does have the power to override the veto.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Sucks that trump will veto the decision. So we got to put enough pressure to ensure that congress will overturn trumps veto.

I do hope as well that the courts take the pro net neutrality side than the anti ones.

Ah, well.

It's going to go to court and as Zach said below congress can override a Presidential veto.

I have faith.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 26, 2017
I think everyone should understand the basic concept of net neutrality before supporting it and not supporting. Just because some celebrity or some institution is asking you to support it should not matter. For me personally net neutrality is going to ruin the internet experience for all of us. Please read about in depth and then make the decision to support it or not support it. Please choose wisely.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
Years
I really don't see it happening. I don't think there's much to be done by taking them to court, seeing as they have the authority to do what they did. The only case as I see it is the claim of falsified comments, which is shaky at best.

As for overriding vetos, I can't see a two-thirds majority from a Congress that is 239-193 for Republicans.

Years
I really don't see it happening. I don't think there's much to be done by taking them to court, seeing as they have the authority to do what they did. The only case as I see it is the claim of falsified comments, which is shaky at best.

As for overriding vetos, I can't see a two-thirds majority from a Congress that is 239-193 for Republicans.
The US senate already has 50 senators (all 49 Democratic senators and one Republican senator) vowing to reverse the decision in a bill that was introduced recently. If one more senator shows support, then it's a majority for the bill to pass.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...neutrality-but-they-need-one-more-republican/

All it takes is both houses of congress and the president to block it. However, we know Trump would veto, but a congressional veto override could be the last resort to stopping Ajit Pai's plan.

Last edited:

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
Years
The US senate already has 50 senators (all 49 Democratic senators and one Republican senator) vowing to reverse the decision in a bill that was introduced recently. If one more senator shows support, then it's a majority for the bill to pass.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...neutrality-but-they-need-one-more-republican/

All it takes is both houses of congress and the president to block it. However, we know Trump would veto, but a congressional veto override could be the last resort to stopping Ajit Pai's plan.

Yes, I'm aware but a veto override is unlikely with a Congress that is majorly Republican seeing as you need a two-thirds majority to do so.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 17, 2018
Found no use of reddit these days. Full of spammers, i stopped browsing it

Back