• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Sierra's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial

jukin8

Suicune Man
Years
has anyone made a pdf of this tutorial cause my internet is down at home and id like to use it for reference when i have time to work on my hack :)

PiplupGHacker

Keeping the dream alive.
Years
First of all, I can not say THANK YOU enough for this. Amazing tutorial, I've been using it to aid me in my first proper hack. Unfortunately, though, right now I'm encountering a problem ._.

Basically, all I'm trying to do is make it so that the fat NPC near the Poke Center in Pewter City gives you an Axew. Here's his original script:
Spoiler:

What I've done is practically copied and pasted your givepokemon example, creating this script:
Spoiler:

I compile it, and it seems to be alright, but when I test the game or go back to the guy's script, it's back to normal again, as if it never compiled in the first place! I tried setting the script up on other NPCs in Pewter, and I also tried literally just copy and pasting yours to no avail. Here's what the compile log says:
Spoiler:

I mean, there don't SEEM to be any problems :/, it just won't save no matter what I do! Any advice? Anyways, I apologize if I'm just doing something completely idiotic here, I'm not the greatest at this.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2024
First of all, I can not say THANK YOU enough for this. Amazing tutorial, I've been using it to aid me in my first proper hack. Unfortunately, though, right now I'm encountering a problem ._.

Basically, all I'm trying to do is make it so that the fat NPC near the Poke Center in Pewter City gives you an Axew. Here's his original script:
Spoiler:

What I've done is practically copied and pasted your givepokemon example, creating this script:
Spoiler:

I compile it, and it seems to be alright, but when I test the game or go back to the guy's script, it's back to normal again, as if it never compiled in the first place! I tried setting the script up on other NPCs in Pewter, and I also tried literally just copy and pasting yours to no avail. Here's what the compile log says:
Spoiler:

I mean, there don't SEEM to be any problems :/, it just won't save no matter what I do! Any advice? Anyways, I apologize if I'm just doing something completely idiotic here, I'm not the greatest at this.

Okay, did you ACTUALLY save A-map? That's the only problem I can see here. Just try every method of saving until that SoB works.
Alternately, could it be that you loaded from a savestate? Sometimes that doesn't work. Just save normally and if it works, there's your problem.

PiplupGHacker

Keeping the dream alive.
Years
Okay, did you ACTUALLY save A-map? That's the only problem I can see here. Just try every method of saving until that SoB works.
Alternately, could it be that you loaded from a savestate? Sometimes that doesn't work. Just save normally and if it works, there's your problem.

Nope, properly loading a save via the title screen and all, and I'm saving in AdvanceMap. Thing is even after compiling and closing XSE and then going to reopen the script it's already back to the original script like it never compiled anything in the first place ._.

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Nope, properly loading a save via the title screen and all, and I'm saving in AdvanceMap. Thing is even after compiling and closing XSE and then going to reopen the script it's already back to the original script like it never compiled anything in the first place ._.
Are you taking the new compiled offset and pasting it into the script offset box on the person in Advance-Map, then saving?

PiplupGHacker

Keeping the dream alive.
Years
How are you testing it in-game? You should leave then reenter the map to make sure your changes are made.

Tried this too, still nothing. What irks me is I've been able to successfully compile and insert something into the script before. No idea if this makes any difference but here's that script:

Spoiler:

(If you noticed, I just made it so that he activates the event to give you the National Dex, and changed his lines for lols. He works totally fine) The only difference I can see here is that when I compile that the windows very small, but when I compile the givepokemon script, I get a box saying "Dynamic offsets: @1 @2 @3 @4 @5 @6 @done @name @start" with what seems to be a hex address next to each and a copy button to copy the addresses to the clipboard :/

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Tried this too, still nothing. What irks me is I've been able to successfully compile and insert something into the script before. No idea if this makes any difference but here's that script:

Spoiler:

(If you noticed, I just made it so that he activates the event to give you the National Dex, and changed his lines for lols. He works totally fine) The only difference I can see here is that when I compile that the windows very small, but when I compile the givepokemon script, I get a box saying "Dynamic offsets: @1 @2 @3 @4 @5 @6 @done @name @start" with what seems to be a hex address next to each and a copy button to copy the addresses to the clipboard :/
You need to copy the hex address next to @start and paste that into Advance-Map where it says "Script offset", then save.

PiplupGHacker

Keeping the dream alive.
Years
You need to copy the hex address next to @start and paste that into Advance-Map where it says "Script offset", then save.

(insert patrick I love you here, image was enormous so I just removed it)

Once again, I apologize for the idiocy. Had a feeling it was something stupid like that ._.
Thanks soo much though xD.

EDIT: Welp. Moar problems. Textbox won't open at all when I talked to him. This happened at first when I did the other one too, so I just assigned the script to someone else. Gonna try that but, thought I'd say that oddly enough after compiling the script shows up like this(could just be that it automatically shorthanded it or something):
Spoiler:

EDIT2: Put it to girl next to the gym who talks about Clefairys, same thing happens. Error in my script?

Last edited:

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
Is there any script that makes a sprite follow the player?

Yes, you can just use an applymovement script. Make the script just like the players applymovement.

Though if you're talking about following you like in Pokemon Yellow then no. I don't think you can.

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2013
I know that. But I do think he said something that completing the routine is almost near impossible. :3

Well, I meant following like in Pokemon Yellow. I know it is almost impossible, but there should be a way. I mean if it was possible in Yellow, then it should be also in FR. Anyway, is there any way I can see that Jambo's script?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 16, 2024
Well, I meant following like in Pokemon Yellow. I know it is almost impossible, but there should be a way. I mean if it was possible in Yellow, then it should be also in FR. Anyway, is there any way I can see that Jambo's script?

Incorrect, just because something was in a past game doesn't mean it's possible in other games. It kind of is possible, but it's really buggy, and Jambo as far as I know never released his version of the script to the public as it was buggy.

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2013
Incorrect, just because something was in a past game doesn't mean it's possible in other games. It kind of is possible, but it's really buggy, and Jambo as far as I know never released his version of the script to the public as it was buggy.

Well, ok. I think i'll try to make an applymovement for the player and the sprite, then.

PiplupGHacker

Keeping the dream alive.
Years
(insert patrick I love you here, image was enormous so I just removed it)

Once again, I apologize for the idiocy. Had a feeling it was something stupid like that ._.
Thanks soo much though xD.

EDIT: Welp. Moar problems. Textbox won't open at all when I talked to him. This happened at first when I did the other one too, so I just assigned the script to someone else. Gonna try that but, thought I'd say that oddly enough after compiling the script shows up like this(could just be that it automatically shorthanded it or something):
Spoiler:

EDIT2: Put it to girl next to the gym who talks about Clefairys, same thing happens. Error in my script?

Can I get some help with this?
My birthdays tomorrow and I want to get this shiz to work >.>

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Can I get some help with this?
My birthdays tomorrow and I want to get this shiz to work >.>
Happy Birthday!
Code:
#dynamic 0xB00000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x828
if 0x1 goto @done
msgbox @1 0x5
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto @take
msgbox @2 0x6
release
end

#org @take
givepokemon 0x262 0x12 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
fanfare 0x13E
textcolor 0x02
msgbox @3 0x4
waitfanfare
closeonkeypress
textcolor 0x02
msgbox @4 0x5
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 gosub @name
msgbox @5 0x6
release
end

#org @name
call 0x1A74EB
return

#org @done
msgbox @6 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= Hello.\nSorry to trouble you.\nI can't take care\nof my Axew.\pCan you take care of\nit for me?

#org @2
= That's okay.\pI'm sure someone else will\ntake it.

#org @3
= You received an Axew!

#org @4
= Would you like to give a\nnickname to Axew?

#org @5
= Please take care of\nAxew.

#org @6
= Are you taking good care\nof Axew?

Note: You should have just modified the givepokemon script on the first page.

And if it still doesn't work, update your XSE to 1.1.1 or just use Gamre2020's Unofficial XSE in his Toolbox.

PiplupGHacker

Keeping the dream alive.
Years
Happy Birthday!
Code:
#dynamic 0xB00000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x828
if 0x1 goto @done
msgbox @1 0x5
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto @take
msgbox @2 0x6
release
end

#org @take
givepokemon 0x262 0x12 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
fanfare 0x13E
textcolor 0x02
msgbox @3 0x4
waitfanfare
closeonkeypress
textcolor 0x02
msgbox @4 0x5
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 gosub @name
msgbox @5 0x6
release
end

#org @name
call 0x1A74EB
return

#org @done
msgbox @6 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= Hello.\nSorry to trouble you.\nI can't take care\nof my Axew.\pCan you take care of\nit for me?

#org @2
= That's okay.\pI'm sure someone else will\ntake it.

#org @3
= You received an Axew!

#org @4
= Would you like to give a\nnickname to Axew?

#org @5
= Please take care of\nAxew.

#org @6
= Are you taking good care\nof Axew?
Note: You should have just modified the givepokemon script on the first page.

And if it still doesn't work, update your XSE to 1.1.1 or just use Gamre2020's Unofficial XSE in his Toolbox.

Oh, lawdy. First of all, thankies! Secondly, turns out I had a super old version of XSE or something, so I downloaded the unofficial and seemed to have made some progress. Now he actually talks to me! Whoo! Only problem is he just says "Are you taking care of Axew?" and I haven't even received it yet ._. is it because this flag is already used or something?

Back