• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle?

Years
It's weird- in my two main playthroughs of FireRed, I've gone with Bulbasaur and Charmander as my starter, even though Squirtle is my favorite of the three. Never had a problem with any of the other 2, but I'll definitely have to pick Squirtle the next time I start a FireRed save file.

dudealmighty

The Very Best
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 6, 2016
As a kid I picked Charmander most. These days playing on VC I feel way more Bulbasaur. It really does depend on my mood at the time of starting, though. I love all three of them <3

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 11, 2020
I chose Charmander
I guess that's generic but
Charizard is cool

It's all nostalgia
I grew up with these starters
So they're my favourites

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 11, 2016
Charizard is one of my favorite Pokemon so I always choose Charmander. Squirtle and Bulbasaur do give you a better start in the game but I just train Nidoran & it makes beating the first gym easier.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
The first starter I chose in a FRLG playthrough was Charmander! I was brainwashed by how damn cool and overpowered it was in the anime and I was still in the "let's just solo with our starter" phase f playing Pokémon. I got to Victory Road but then lost my copy of Fire Red and was devastated.

I then started on my LeafGreen cartridge and after discussing it with a friend for an entire bus journey for a school trip, Bulbasaur was the starter of choice! Boy oh boy was this playthrough tough! I ended up splitting my love between a trio of Pokémon and Venusaur was paired with a Pidgeot and a Gengar, all at level 50 when I finally reached the Elite Four. Never before have I been as proud of taking down the Pokémon League!

Squirtle was left out during my time with the FRLG cartridge playthroughs which was really damn weird. Squirtle had always been my favorite starter up until recently where I can't decide! Blastoise was my first ever Pokémon on a pre-owned copy of Pokémon Blue when I was like 5 years old - it was my favourite Pokémon from then on. Strange I never picked it!

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Like I said in the generation 1 thread like this, I always picked Charmander. I literally don't think I've ever not picked it. Not that I've played them that often, but still. Charizard is my absolute favorite.

Years
Went with Suirtle (I smashed the 'cue' key off my keyboard earlier in blind fury, so please forgive the typo). I had Pokemon Blue Version and chose to use the Pokemon on the cover. I wasn't disappointed in the least.

I then went through with Bulbasaur and found them equally (I have spell-check for real words) satisfying. I never really liked Charizard much. He was an ass in the anime, and he's an ass in the game. Can't learn fly my left foot...

PureAxis

Conqueror of Knowledge, Enforcer of Order.
Years
My starter on my first playthrough was Squirtle, and except Celadon city, it was pretty much a smooth sailing. Although I used Charmander on my second playthrough.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 22, 2017
I'm just considering starting up FireRed again... I just can't look past using the version mascot but I don't want to end up having to struggle through the first two gyms with Charmander. Any tips please, or it looks like I'm not going to play this game at all!

Years
I'm just considering starting up FireRed again... I just can't look past using the version mascot but I don't want to end up having to struggle through the first two gyms with Charmander. Any tips please, or it looks like I'm not going to play this game at all!

If you want to run Charmander and not struggle through the first 2 gyms, here's how you can get through it:

Brock's Gym: There is one Pokémon in the first few routes that you can catch that will help you avoid beating Onix/Geodude with Metal Claw: Mankey. You can find him on route 22 and he learns Low Kick at level 6. I think once he's level 10 you should have no trouble beating him.

Misty's Gym: For her, there are a couple options:

Since you have Fire Red, you can find Oddish in the patches of grass after Nugget Bridge. It's definitely the best option, since it's pretty bulky, and I believe it has Absorb when you catch it. Should probably teach it Bullet Seed (found in Mt. Moon), since it will out-damage Absorb.

You can catch a Pikachu from the Viridian Forest if you have the patience to find one, and if high enough level, it outspeeds Staryu no problem. However, it doesn't learn Thunderbolt until level 26. It will be tough to survive stab water pulses.

You can also catch a Paras in Mt. Moon and teach it Bullet Seed. Problem with Paras is he can still get 2HKO by Starmie's Swift or Water Pulse.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
I would trade at the beginning and get two copies of each starter. Although Squirtle gains Dark Bite and Charmander gains Metal Claw and Wing Attack, (and Fly, which you couldn't teach it in Red or Blue) Leech Seed is so rare a technique, I'd predomintly pick Bulbasaur through my gameplays. The very first time I obtained Champion status was w/ Venusaur in Red Version, so it will always be my Classic Starter. Not even Feraligator nor Blaziken have that honour, though they're my Classics from the first time I beat both Johto and Hoenn's trials.

Sam1994

Sam
Years
As far i remember i played LG first and chose Bulbasaur. Two reasons behind this were: 1. It had advantage over Brock and Misty and 2. "The Title of the game" lol. Honestly speaking, i didn't create any files for other starters but i always wanted all the three..lol. I always adored Charmander as my wanted starter and the reason is simple that my favourite pokemon is Charizard. Speaking general about the starters, I think they are still my all time favourite starters and pretty nostalgic one too..

Iria Animi

Innocent Trainer
Years
It could been nice if there was poll set up.

I really love Charmander and always cannot get second thought of picking others.I grew more fond towards it since I played Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and picked him as MC.

U-Hacks

A Hacker
Years
I'll Choose Charmander!
It doesn't have advantage against brock misty and some others but
Charmander learn Metal Claw which is advantage full & You can catch another pokemon to defeat misty and same as others

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 13, 2019
I started with the original Red version and chose Charmander. Charizard was so epic, even in FireRed, where it learned Flamethrower at Lv.34.

Back