• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
Years
I'm not quite sure if this belongs in the Quick Questions thread for B/W, but I've been wondering...

You know the Power items that double EV values? Like the Power Lens and whatnot. It is exactly the same as the Macho Brace except that the Power items only raise double the EV values of one stat, whereas Macho Brace does all, and both lower the pokemon's speed.

So the question: What is the point of Power Items, which are only obtainable through Battle Frontier/BP and spending your hard earned points on, when the Macho Brace does all their jobs at once? Or, is there a difference between them that makes Power Items more desirable to use than Macho Braces?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
^ Power Items don't double your EVs, they add four to a specific stat instead. For example KOing a Magikarp, which gives 1 Spe EV, will get you 5 EVs if you hold a Power Anklet but only 2 EVs with a Macho Brace.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
If I recall correctly the specific Power Item 4 EV's whereas Macho Brace does only double. Not to mention if you were using Macho Brace you would have EV's across the board even with stats that don't benefit your pokemon what so ever. So focusing on specific stats that actually help your pokemon is more sensible then spreading them about and not getting all of what you can out of the ones that help and getting some EVs from ones that don't help.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
Yeah, there is. Power Items, for one, only raise one EV, so they're good for trainers who want to max out certain values. For example, a Salamence holding the Macho Brace might have similar numbers of EVs across the board, but it won't reach its maximum Attack potential, whereas the Bracer can help you do that, especially if you kill the right Pokemon.

Secondly, they don't actually double EVs gained. What each Power item does is add four extra EVs in that particular stat every time you defeat a Pokemon, regardless of what EVs it would normally give. So while holding the Power Bracer, a Patrat would yield 5 Attack EVs, whereas a Blissey would yield 3 HP and 4 Attack EVs.

So yeah, the Power items do have a point, and they're much more useful than the Macho Brace, especially if you want to play competitively or semi-competitively.

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
Years
^ Power Items don't double your EVs, they add four to a specific stat instead. For example KOing a Magikarp, which gives 1 Spe EV, will get you 5 EVs if you hold a Power Anklet but only 2 EVs with a Macho Brace.

Oh, I see. That's just awesome, It would make EV'ing a lot faster for me.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'm not quite sure if this belongs in the Quick Questions thread for B/W, but I've been wondering...

You know the Power items that double EV values? Like the Power Lens and whatnot. It is exactly the same as the Macho Brace except that the Power items only raise double the EV values of one stat, whereas Macho Brace does all, and both lower the pokemon's speed.

So the question: What is the point of Power Items, which are only obtainable through Battle Frontier/BP and spending your hard earned points on, when the Macho Brace does all their jobs at once? Or, is there a difference between them that makes Power Items more desirable to use than Macho Braces?

You're misunderstanding how EV items work in general. They add 4 (stat) EVs per battle, no matter what you fight. For example, if you're holding the item that increases attack EVs, every Lillipup and Patrat would get you 5 EVs instead of 1, while the Macho Brace would get you 2 EVs since it only doubles what you get.

Edit: Ninja'd :c

gee2k8

Slicker than your average
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 24, 2013
I've caught 3 Dream World pokemon so far. All are male, i heard that the male DW pokes are useless as they can't breed their new DW abilities over and will most likely come with awful IVs and possibly a non beneficial nature.

Is this correct? Should i from now on be aiming for females when i befriend in the DW?

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
I don't see why male DW Pokemon should have any worse stats than female ones. That sounds like rubbish to me. Yet it is true that a male DW Pokemon cannot pass on his ability to his offspring, sorry.

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
Years
So just so I can be sure...

Can you trade over non 5th Gen Pokemon (e.g. The Eeveelutions) to a game without the National Dex? I'm planning on restarting and using non 5th Gen pokemons in my team for fun, (Starting at low levels of course) my team would be Serperior, Glaceon, Milotic, Scyther and Jolteon, 4 of which are non-5th Gen obviously. And one open slot for which I haven't decided. Also, since the mechanic of "Beat 'x' gym before you can use this HM" has been removed, are you allowed to trade over a pokemon with surf before you get it in game?

Nihilego

Years
^ there are no restrictions on which Pokémon you can trade over, from what I've seen; someone traded me a Scyther and the game didn't try to stop them. And there aren't any move filters since you can't use the HMs to progress anyway until you have the right badges.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Egg moves are moves that are passed down from the parents to the child Pokemon through breeding. Therefore, they're moves that a Pokemon knows from the egg.

Each breedable species has its own list of egg moves that can be learned.

Ninja'd, but I had to check my grammar. And JP did provide a link.

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
Years
^ there are no restrictions on which Pokémon you can trade over, from what I've seen; someone traded me a Scyther and the game didn't try to stop them. And there aren't any move filters since you can't use the HMs to progress anyway until you have the right badges.
Wait, there are HM requirements? I don't remember that being said ever when I got a badge, and to proceed, usually the Gym Leader, after being beaten, opens a path for you or the story continues, there were no HMs blocking the way nor did you really need them to beat the game at all, save for Cut.

Nihilego

Years
Wait, there are HM requirements? I don't remember that being said ever when I got a badge, and to proceed, usually the Gym Leader, after being beaten, opens a path for you or the story continues, there were no HMs blocking the way nor did you really need them to beat the game at all, save for Cut.

Fine point, actually. That was poor wording by me; other than a very early-game Cut, no, HMs are not needed. I was referring to being used in the field at all rather than actually being used to progress, for example using Surf to get to Cobalion.

Censen.Morris

Sceptile is my Homeboy
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2011
HELP! I have a predicament.

I want to teach my Tyranitar one of the 3 elemental bites: Fire Fang, Thunder Fang or Ice Fang. I just don't know which. -.-

Which works the best? Should I cover Tyranitar's own weaknesses or cover a common type. I doubt Ice Fang will be useful, but thunder fang can beat water and fire fang can beat grass. WHAT DO I DO!?!?!

Years
I have a question about the black and white version. The pokemon can really move when battling. I just saw a battle on youtube for black and white version.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I have a question about the black and white version. The pokemon can really move when battling. I just saw a battle on youtube for black and white version.

The sprites move, yeah.

Is it possible to get all 3 elemental monkeys without trading?

Yeah, in rustling grass inside Pinwheel Forest all three are found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back