• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
While using dupes is certainly not encouraged, I'm not gonna force anyone to use only one of a particular Pokemon. But it would be a little obnoxious to complete a Monotype using 6 Gyarados. Also, if someone did do that, I would only count it as one Monotype. Stacking types voids the whole point of the challenge.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
While using dupes is certainly not encouraged, I'm not gonna force anyone to use only one of a particular Pokemon. But it would be a little obnoxious to complete a Monotype using 6 Gyarados. Also, if someone did do that, I would only count it as one Monotype. Stacking types voids the whole point of the challenge.

Was just thinking would it be acceptable to do a Green Mono colour for Fire Red and Using Venasaur and 2 Victreebells so it would count for Mono-type aswell, I know I keep trying to do this Multi challenge thing I just feel it makes it a little harder :P

Dr. Slavic

Last of the Wailords
Years
-- Update 2 --​

Only two gyms this time, but this was a HUGE update to play. Between getting lost in Dark Cave and the Game Corner, this took a good length. Koga was just unbelievably stupid, he seriously could have beaten me with that Weezing, but instead he used Selfdestruct! Unbelievable. And with how Critical Hits worked the first generation, now that Gambit has Slash, every attack from him is a Critical Hit, it's a little insane.

Spoiler:

1_zps7c7dc877.png
2_zps6f13f7f2.png
3_zps8e72392e.png

~-~ Team ~-~

Spoiler:

-- End of Update 2 --​

Umbreon3055

Umbreon Catcher
Years
  • Seen May 5, 2013
I'm not on the list of ultimate challengers, can someone change that please?

STATUS UPDATE #2

Did some training at pinwheel forest entrance
Got tm 94 rock smash
Taught it to Toshiba (drillbur)
Beat lenora by a miracle of waking up first turn
Did all the team plasma in the forest stuff
Crossed skyarrow bridge
Went to castelia city
Currently sandile hunting on route 4

Team Quake:

Drillbur (Toshiba) Lv. 24
Hone claws
Rock smash
Metal claw
Dig

Tympole (Marinus) Lv. 24
Mud shot
Uproar
Round
BubbleBeam

Progress: 2/8

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I'm not on the list of ultimate challengers, can someone change that please?

I saw your updates. Don't worry. I'm doing this on a weekly update system. So in a couple of days I'll go through all the recent posts and update the list. That way I don't have to update the thread every couple of hours... XD
That should clear things up for you.

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
I lost all my data on my acekard2i sorting it out. (I accidentally deleted everything :P).
I'll restart Platinum on my retail copy, so I won't accidentally delete it again. :)

I know it's been a long time, but I'm back and I'll have an update sometime tomorrow.

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
Hey guys, I am back with another (short) update.

Really all I did was traverse Route 5 and train on Route 11, though I am still training as I speak. Route 5 was a pain in the butt, stupid statuses. Route 11 is kind of the same, with poison, sleep, and paralysis, with a dash of confusion. Not much has changed though, and I am taking turns with a friend of mine who agreed to help me. We're having fun on New Years' Eve. It's about 11:10 now. For my team, there were no new Pokemon and levels and moves are about the same as last time. That's all for now, but to be honest, I am getting pretty tired. Bye!

P.S. Happy New Year!

ShinyHoundoom

Houndoom Fan
Years
I'm instituting a minimum of 2 Pokemon. Primarily because using a single Pokemon kind of defeats the purpose of doing a monotype, especially if that Pokemon has 2 types. The whole point of this challenge is to beat the game using a team who shares a common trait. If you only use one Pokemon, then there is no trait to share.

Ok I was just wondering if the limit was going to be two or three.

Umbreon3055

Umbreon Catcher
Years
  • Seen May 5, 2013
Just wanted to note y'all that I have decided instead of crystal I will be playing SoulSilver. This is due to the the fact that if I am playing crystal it will be on an emulator, which means I cannot trade onix to become a steelix.

The games I am playing will be

Blue,SS,E,Pt,Black

Black 2/8

johnny18

Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
Years
Update:
Got my 2nd gym badge, it was a tough battle since all of my mons except audino were killed.
My patrat evolved into a watchog.
My audino is the highest level 23.
Training atm and about to chase team plasma

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2013
That kinda made me laugh, how much controversy was caused over me wanting to do an ice type platinum XD

I haven't played 4th gen very much at all since it bored me, so I figured a challenge would make it more fun. Thanks for the info about the eevee by the way, I don't mind having to use it, or back tracking.

Just a general question though, I'd be using my starter until i get eevee, once I get eevee I box my starter forever, correct?

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
That is correct Ellipsai. Unless your starter matches your chosen type, you can only use it until yu obtain the first pokemon of your type. You can use it as an HM slave if you want though.

Umbreon3055

Umbreon Catcher
Years
  • Seen May 5, 2013
STATUS UPDATE #3 (biggest so far)
CAUGHT SANDILE party member #3
Did heaps of grinding
Beat the battle company
Did the team plasma in castelia thingy
Challenged gym
Lost due to leavanny spamming razor leaf
More grinding
Marinus evolved into palpitoad
Lost to gym again
More griding
Beat gym
Battled bianca
Battled cheren
Went to nimbasa
Challenged gym straight away and won due to severely overleveled poké's
Did more training
Irwin evolved into krokorok
Went to driftveil

Team Quake:

Drilbur (Toshiba) Lv. 30
Rock slide
Slash
Metal claw
Dig

Palpitoad (Marinus) Lv. 30
@ Scope lens
Mud shot
Uproar
Muddy water
Bubblebeam

Krokorok (Irwin) Lv. 30
Swagger
Crunch
Sand tomb
Assurance

Progress: 4/8

TY

Quilava (lvl 16 now) won against Falkner and i got my first badge

Years
Update 4:

Bug Monotype on Fire Red

Not much to say here, just that I've beaten Erica.
20svn2v.png

Roster:

Parasect: Level 30
Bashful

- Leech Life
- Stun Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Poison Powder

Beedrill: Level 25
Serious

- Poison Sting
- Cut
- Fury Attack
- Twineedle

Butterfree: Level 27
Gentle

- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Confusion
- Flash

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
After my last update, I finished grinding my team to level 47 then went on to defeat Cheren to get to the badge checkpoint. I went through Victory Road as quickly as I could, then went ahead and took on the Elite Four. I took on Marshall first and defeated him with a little difficulty, so I moved on to Grimsley who was a little easier to defeat. The next two members were fairly easy to defeat, with Caitlin first then Shauntaul. I moved on to the Champion's room where (gasp!) I found N who summoned his castle to appear. I went through the castle and made it to the final room, where I caught Reshiram with a Quick Ball so I could go ahead and move on. I defeated N fairly easily, but it took a few tries to defeat Ghestis because of his annoying Hydreigon. I watched the credits roll, and now I'm going to train some more and hunt down some TM's before I take on the Elite 4 for the final time in this entire challenge. My current team:

serperior.png
Serperior / Lv51 / Leaf Blade, Strength, Aerial Ace, Giga Drain
leavanny.png
Leavanny / Lv52 / X-Scissor, Leaf Blade, Shadow Claw, Poison Jab
whimsicott.png
Whimsicott / Lv51 / Giga Drain, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, Hurricane
sawsbuck-winter.png
Sawsbuck / Lv56 / Jump Kick, Faint Attack, Horn Leech, Megahorn
ferrothorn.png
Ferrothorn / Lv52 / Power Whip, Iron Head, Gyro Ball, Bulldoze

For the first round through the Elite 4 and endgame, Sawsbuck was the clear MVP due to its versatile move pool that was very effective against a majority of the E4 (and Ghestis' Hydreigon). The LVP was Serperior, because I didn't really even use it :/

✔Pokemon Blue Version
venusaur.png
parasect.png
victreebel.png
exeggutor.png

✔Pokemon Silver Version
meganium.png
gloom.png
bellossom.png
parasect.png
exeggutor.png

✔Pokemon Sapphire Version