• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Beta Fakemon Battle sprites

AceTrainerGecx

Elite Trainer
Years
These are some sprites featured in my fangame Labyrinth
"Fakemon concepts by: AceTrainerGecx, LoveSamuraiForever & HypermadDj, Iluustrations & Art Direction by: LoveSamuraiForever, and Spriting by: AceTrainerGecx"

Attachments

• 003.png
    003.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 017.png
    017.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 041.png
    041.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

AceTrainerGecx

Elite Trainer
Years
Here are some more, Enjoy:smile:
59.png
022.png
009.png
030.png

Years
:O I love your sprite designs. How you manage to get so much detail on such a tiny piece astounds me.
I think my favourite so far is the first two of the latest batch. The silhouettes are clear and they look like epic boss monsters to me. :D

Years
I really like these designs. And with enough practice and knowledge I think you will be able to make some even better quality sprites. This is my extensive tips to you and hopefully you can make use of it.

My edit is on the left and your original is on the right.
Mh6tLDJ.png
XWR7oxi.png

I can narrow the critique into a few general notes that can help you improve your future sprites.

1. Try not to use banding for shading, even if it realistically makes sense. It doesn't work well as it seems.
Here is an example of your banding vs. my fix

FrO9Gz3.png
5HwNb0V.png

Banding is pretty much when pixels line up and they look too uniform and clustered together. It doesn't look as natural and makes the overall sprite/piece look robotic and too uniform. Of course, personally I would say this isn't a rule to follow always as there will be times even I find that I have pixels line up. It happens and sometimes it just works to a smaller degree. But generally it is something to avoid especially in single small sprites like this.

2. Use less colours, there are are a few shades on the blue fur that is difficult to see and therefore unnecessary.
From my edit you can see I've narrowed it down to pretty much 3 colours vs. 5 colours. I would say the colour count isn't the overlying issue but more so the colour choice. Try to provide contrast between the colours
OuZ4etT.png

Here are 4x Zooms of the sprites so you can see the difference easier.
Spoiler:

There are a few other things to note, so I wouldn't mind going over them if you'd like but I'll leave it off here. Don't forget there are amazing resources online that you can look for to help you improve. For Pokemon/Fakemon pixel artists I always recommend to study and look at the original sprites themselves. I believe the main point is to keep the same style to the originals (as they are fan games/rom hacks).

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I am going to second Logiedan's critiques. Make sure you take care to pay attention to banding and sel-shading. Your sprites are strong and have distinct silhouettes, they just need a little more technical skill to really make them excel. Make sure to have established color ramps to work with before you start on your coloring! :)

Cloche

エスパーレディ
Years
I can't really add much else as Fairy, Kitty and Logedian have covered it beautifully.
My favorite sprite, hands down is this one
022.png

I may be a bit biased, as Naga/Lamia are my bread and butter and favorite species in fantasy worlds.

Your sprites have this certain air to them that makes me want to keep seeing more. You are well on your way to becoming an excellent pixel artist/spriter.

AceTrainerGecx

Elite Trainer
Years
I can't really add much else as Fairy, Kitty and Logedian have covered it beautifully.
My favorite sprite, hands down is this one
022.png

I may be a bit biased, as Naga/Lamia are my bread and butter and favorite species in fantasy worlds.

Your sprites have this certain air to them that makes me want to keep seeing more. You are well on your way to becoming an excellent pixel artist/spriter.
Credits to HyperMadDJ for the design, and thanks for the praise :D

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I hope you decide to give names and stats to these guys, btw. :)

Back