• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[Advanced] Hacking the World Map without the Glitches!

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
Hey everyone, so this is my first tutorial on hacking so give me a bit of slack :) Ask questions and I will answer them to the best of my knowledge.

I have been struggling with hacking the world map for quite some time now and I finally got my map completed and not glitched in my game. Every tutorial I have found made part of the map glitch, and since I wanted to have the map switcher button, I figured this out. (Many tutorials skip this part to make it not glitch I learned)

Requirements

Spoiler:

Making the Tileset

Spoiler:

Making The Tilemap

Spoiler:

Inserting Your Work Into The Game

Spoiler:

Results

Spoiler:

Attachments

• Resources.zip
    56.8 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2012
Wow, this tutorial is superb! Does the same principle work with completely new world maps, for instance a world map I created in Photoshop with the resolution of 240 * 160? :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
Wow, this tutorial is superb! Does the same principle work with completely new world maps, for instance a world map I created in Photoshop with the resolution of 240 * 160? :)

Thank you for the feedback! I believe that you should be able to insert a completely new map if you wanted. I would suggest if you wanted to use the islands yet, find only the tiles unused and replace them. I happened upon this technique late one night and I am still unsure if there is a much simpler way, but once you figure things out you are set. Experiment, but make a backup before! I suggest simply adding your sphere tile set below the original, but there apparently have been problems with large tile sets. Good luck, let me know how things work out!

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2012
Thank you for the feedback! I believe that you should be able to insert a completely new map if you wanted. I would suggest if you wanted to use the islands yet, find only the tiles unused and replace them. I happened upon this technique late one night and I am still unsure if there is a much simpler way, but once you figure things out you are set. Experiment, but make a backup before! I suggest simply adding your sphere tile set below the original, but there apparently have been problems with large tile sets. Good luck, let me know how things work out!

Awesome, just to be sure - will this work for Pokemon Ruby (the game I am currently modding) as the map from the tutorial and the game are different? :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
Ahh... I was not aware you wanted to do ruby. I believe that the same concepts should apply to this as well. This tutorial was made for fire red, but it should work as long as you deconstruct the map as I did for this game. I would suggest looking at this tutorial for ruby, but I have never hacked ruby so I am unsure. My way is a bit rediculous, but I feel that I learned a lot in the process, and it was the one way I got my map to work. Try the tutorial first, but if it doesn't work, by all means you can figure out the map for ruby using this method. I will add in the info if you do find it out! Once again, good luck and I hope your map looks great after you change it :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2012
Ironically I tried that tutorial first but found out I had too many tiles to fit the 128 x 128 square (256 tiles) which mine had over 400 so I am going to have to try this way otherwise I will have to resdesign the map, lol. Hacking a game first time ins't easy! XD Thanks!! :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
You are quite welcome. Let me know if you run into problems. Remember that you should not have quite that many tiles if you use sphere to make the tiles into a tilemap.

The largest possible amount of tiles in the map is 30*20 = 600. Granted, 600 tiles means every single tile is unique. About 1/3 of your tiles may not be unique. You will need to use sphere though to find out. In total, I used about 384 tiles. It is possible with over 256 using my method... In my experience that is :)

This is my first tutorial and my first attempt at a hack is in progress as well. Once I put the pieces together, things worked out. Getting my map to work took many hours - I don't want to think about how many nights I kept getting problems. Then I decided to try something not in a tutorial and dissembled what I could of my work and found a solution. Quite a process, but quite rewarding in the end. I am glad I was at least able to spark interest in you!

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2012
Haha, okay thanks! Now I just have the massive task of trying to understand something I don't know how to do even though I am following your tutorial (which is very detailed and understandable)! What I gather from the tutorial is that I now have to change the data on the Excel document to the numbers of each of the tiles in my tileset which was created in Sphere as per the tutorial? This ended up in giving me a tileset with 440 tiles and no duplicates. :)

-Edit-
I see how your tutorial works now, you take the tile number convert and place in the excel file what I have to do is not particularly hard but is very long-winded. Converting 440 tiles from HEX to Decimal, DAMN! xDD

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
Yes, it is simply time consuming. If you look at the excel file, it does convert from decimal to hex with a cell at the bottom. I am sorry that the spreadsheet is that way, but changing it would be quite a pain. I would suggest getting a piece of graphing paper and write in your map. By the end you will understand exactly how the map works I promise! :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2012
Yes, it is simply time consuming. If you look at the excel file, it does convert from decimal to hex with a cell at the bottom. I am sorry that the spreadsheet is that way, but changing it would be quite a pain. I would suggest getting a piece of graphing paper and write in your map. By the end you will understand exactly how the map works I promise! :)

That's a great idea! I am recreating the map in HEX in a new Excel spreadsheet and then converting them to decimal later so I know that everything is in the correct place. :)

Thanks for your help!! :D

Okay, the problem I have now is with the palette fields in the Excel document, are yellow 1s meant to match up with the towns/cities on the map because my map contains those (and same with the other corresponding colours)? :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
Sounds like you are chugging away at this map. Firstly, making a separate excel spreadsheet is a good idea. Remember to use the DEC2HEX function to convert it all and then copy/paste the numbers into the original spreadsheet.

For the palette numbers, yes they are meant to match the cities and towns. I am not sure in ruby, but I believe that it should be similar. There are about 4 cells which may stay yellow (palette 1) so check that it is only highlighting your cities.

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2012
Sounds like you are chugging away at this map. Firstly, making a separate excel spreadsheet is a good idea. Remember to use the DEC2HEX function to convert it all and then copy/paste the numbers into the original spreadsheet.

For the palette numbers, yes they are meant to match the cities and towns. I am not sure in ruby, but I believe that it should be similar. There are about 4 cells which may stay yellow (palette 1) so check that it is only highlighting your cities.

Yeah, did that pretty quickly as you said by reversing the HEX2DEC function and pasting the values once copied - do I need to worry about the code behind head of the coloured palette fields, would a screen-shot help show you what it currently looks like? Checking the yellow fields, pretty much none of them match up with the cities/towns. I think what may be sending it off is that the maps are different - one contains a blue border whereas my map takes up the whole space of 160 * 240 dimensions. :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
Yes. You need to have your map smaller I believe. You can probably scale it down w/o loss of quality as long as it is indexed. If you use photoshop there is an option to keep the pixels but scale it. Additionally if you would like, pm me your files you have and I'll check it out so I can help the ruby hackers as well. Make sure that the 2nd tile in total is the city tile. Just send me what you has and I'll take a look

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2012
Is there any problems with the map I sent you, will it work for the Ruby hack? :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
Where did you download the Sphere Editor or Sphere v1.5 Development Environment?

阴魂君

_(:зゝ∠)_ so busy i am…
Years
Excuse me,amcolash. Could you teel me where I can download the Sphere Game Developer?
I can't find it after search...

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2022
Excuse me,amcolash. Could you teel me where I can download the Sphere Game Developer?
I can't find it after search...
Google -> Sphere Game Developer.
Click on the first link which should be "Main Page - Spheriki".

Then on the right side you should see a box with links, Click on the "Download" link just to the right of the column for sphere.

I would paste you the link but I am not allowed to.

阴魂君

_(:зゝ∠)_ so busy i am…
Years
Google -> Sphere Game Developer.
Click on the first link which should be "Main Page - Spheriki".

Then on the right side you should see a box with links, Click on the "Download" link just to the right of the column for sphere.

I would paste you the link but I am not allowed to.
Thank you,xD.I see... I just searched it by Baidu...Well

Back