• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Is there a way to make you have to fail a battle?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 4, 2021
Pokemon Hack. FireRed. Leaf as a second rival. Leaf beats Red each time. Red will be the Blue of Leaf's eventual game. Is it possible to make it so Leaf beats Red every time as it'll be in her game? And when making battles, how do you make sure the freaking game doesn't crash when you lose? And tutorials don't talk about this, so don't even!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 4, 2021
Make the pokemon extremely high leveled?

No, I mean that you HAVE to fail! Or failing is okay. Like the first battle that you have! Losing is fine. Instead of going to the pokecenter, the stuff continues. And I can't find the script with the battle. If I can't make it impossible to win, then I'll make it okay to lose.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
No, I mean that you HAVE to fail! Or failing is okay. Like the first battle that you have! Losing is fine. Instead of going to the pokecenter, the stuff continues. And I can't find the script with the battle. If I can't make it impossible to win, then I'll make it okay to lose.

You can do this with trainerbattle 0x9 I believe. The only problem is that if you do decide to use this method, the Fire Red tutorial jargon will commence (the dialog with Professor Oak interrupting).

Another great way I've seen this "you're supposed to loose" thing occur is in Pokemon Ruby Destiny: Reign of Legends, which is surprising since its objectively a shitty hack :). Somewhere in the middle of the game, the player is faced against a lv. 100 Shadow Lugia whom kicks your ass. The player is then sent back to a PokeCenter. Upon returning the the location of the Shadow Lugia event, nothing happens and everything and everyone is gone. The player is then able to progress with the story.

The way this works is that a flag is set just before the battle starts. This way, whether the player wins or loses, the game knows that the player has at least attempted to fight Shadow Lugia. You can use type 03 level scripts from there to hide things, show new things, and progress the game further.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 4, 2021
You can do this with trainerbattle 0x9 I believe. The only problem is that if you do decide to use this method, the Fire Red tutorial jargon will commence (the dialog with Professor Oak interrupting).

Another great way I've seen this "you're supposed to loose" thing occur is in Pokemon Ruby Destiny: Reign of Legends, which is surprising since its objectively a ****ty hack :). Somewhere in the middle of the game, the player is faced against a lv. 100 Shadow Lugia whom kicks your ass. The player is then sent back to a PokeCenter. Upon returning the the location of the Shadow Lugia event, nothing happens and everything and everyone is gone. The player is then able to progress with the story.

The way this works is that a flag is set just before the battle starts. This way, whether the player wins or loses, the game knows that the player has at least attempted to fight Shadow Lugia. You can use type 03 level scripts from there to hide things, show new things, and progress the game further.

Wow, thank you so much! I'll figure out a way to use that. A couple things, though. Why do I need level scripts? And also, do you know where the script for the actual rival battle is? My changing must have messed something up, because the dialogue is just gone (and also he walks through Leaf so I would like to change that (or just tell the people playing first to talk to her before to activate the Blue battle since she leaves).

Oh, and you swore, good luck with that. They're going to be on you faster than the speed of light times energy to make matter!

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Wow, thank you so much! I'll figure out a way to use that. A couple things, though. Why do I need level scripts? And also, do you know where the script for the actual rival battle is? My changing must have messed something up, because the dialogue is just gone (and also he walks through Leaf so I would like to change that (or just tell the people playing first to talk to her before to activate the Blue battle since she leaves).

Oh, and you swore, good luck with that. They're going to be on you faster than the speed of light times energy to make matter!

I guess you don't really need level scripts, but a type 03 could come in handy if you're wanting to display new sprites after losing the battle at a later time. If you're just wanting to hide the sprites that were previously there and have a record that the player attempted the battle, a simple setflag will suffice as I explained earlier.

I'm not sure what you mean by "do you know where the rival script is." The rival battles the player several times through each game, so if you're looking to decompile those scripts and edit them, you'll have to look through AdvancedMap. For example, the first rival battle in Fire Red commences in the green script event in Professor Oak's lab.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 4, 2021
I guess you don't really need level scripts, but a type 03 could come in handy if you're wanting to display new sprites after losing the battle at a later time. If you're just wanting to hide the sprites that were previously there and have a record that the player attempted the battle, a simple setflag will suffice as I explained earlier.

I'm not sure what you mean by "do you know where the rival script is." The rival battles the player several times through each game, so if you're looking to decompile those scripts and edit them, you'll have to look through AdvancedMap. For example, the first rival battle in Fire Red commences in the green script event in Professor Oak's lab.

The first battle isn't anywhere in the lab in AdvanceMap, I've looked around for it and I just cannot find it. I need to make sure the dialogue is there. I don't know how my code could've altered something that wasn't there. And it couldn't have deleted it because the damn battle still happens!

Display them at a later time like in the same place? You need vars for that? Couldn't you do that with flags?

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Anti-HyperLink said:
The first battle isn't anywhere in the lab in AdvanceMap, I've looked around for it and I just cannot find it. I need to make sure the dialogue is there. I don't know how my code could've altered something that wasn't there. And it couldn't have deleted it because the damn battle still happens!
Oh it's there all right. It. Is. There. Anti-HyperLink.
There is a line of script events on the floor of the lab. Ready to have your mind blown? This line of script events is actually two lines of script events sitting on top of each other. Move the top layer then decompile one of the second-layer events and you'll find the trainerbattles.
Anti-HyperLink said:
Display them at a later time like in the same place? You need vars for that? Couldn't you do that with flags?
I never said anything about vars. Of course all you need is flags. Type 03 level scripts work with manipulating flags.

Years
hey wait.... If i remembered correctly, then Dark Rising have a script like that (which makes you loose to Tornadus but still continuos the script). maybe it'll be useful.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 4, 2021
Oh it's there all right. It. Is. There. Anti-HyperLink.
There is a line of script events on the floor of the lab. Ready to have your mind blown? This line of script events is actually two lines of script events sitting on top of each other. Move the top layer then decompile one of the second-layer events and you'll find the trainerbattles.

I never said anything about vars. Of course all you need is flags. Type 03 level scripts work with manipulating flags.

You don't have to be so damn rude. I thought someone nice was helping me, but nope! And as for vars, level scripts have vars don't they? I don't know anything about that and all the damn tutorials definitely don't say that!

Edit: Level scripts are map scripts, aren't they?

Last edited:

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
You don't have to be so damn rude. I thought someone nice was helping me, but nope! And as for vars, level scripts have vars don't they? I don't know anything about that and all the damn tutorials definitely don't say that!

Edit: Level scripts are map scripts, aren't they?

Check the thread in my signature. Tutorial #12 Instant Script Activation explains level scripts AKA map scripts. Type 03 doesn't require a variable, no. We're digressing from the original question, so I'm permanently withdrawing my presense.

Also I wish there was a universal [/sarcasm] tag. Cuz outside perspectives. :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 4, 2021
Check the thread in my signature. Tutorial #12 Instant Script Activation explains level scripts AKA map scripts. Type 03 doesn't require a variable, no. We're digressing from the original question, so I'm permanently withdrawing my presense.

Also I wish there was a universal [/sarcasm] tag. Cuz outside perspectives. :)

I can find out about map scripts (I guess the answer to that was yes), but are you saying I need those along with the earlier flag to do things after the battle, because cool, I understand.

I had more to say but I cannot remember.

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
Years
I'm not a hacker, but Anthroyd has been very kind to help you with your scripting and if a little light sarcasm seems rude to you, wait till you actually meet a rude person.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 4, 2021
I'm not a hacker, but Anthroyd has been very kind to help you with your scripting and if a little light sarcasm seems rude to you, wait till you actually meet a rude person.

I don't think you understand what sarcasm is. And no, he's not rude, but he was. He's the first person on here to actually help me instead of being incredibly rude to me and not help me at all like everyone else.

Years

You will be able to continue running the script after losing any kind of trainerbattle (avoiding the whiteout) if you follow my tutorial. You can search for it in my profile, I'm not allowed to post links...

Back