Challenge Logs For your own personal challenges!

Old 11 Hours Ago (10:03 AM). Edited 6 Hours Ago by Alakazam17.

Bonjour mes amis!

• Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky

Thanks for the feedback both of you. It's great knowing that people are reading and enjoying my work here. It makes me want to keep chugging along!

It also appears I was well under the unofficial level cap for Misty. I say 'unofficial' because I won't actively try to stay under it, but in practice I'd be surprised if I ever go over it. Even in Nuzlockes I like to keep my Pokémon underleveled. xD

Chapter 10 - Gotta Catch'em All

I returned to the PokéCentre to heal my surviving Pokémon, while going to the PC to retrieve Toxica and Aria. I no longer had any need to store them there as some spots had opened up on my party.

Moving forward, I began to think of leaving Cerulean and making my way to the next town. The only problem was that I did not know how to reach the city's southern exit, with the only possible means being a gateway that had been grown over by a large tree. What kind of public services does this city have? I thought to myself. Somebody should have cut this down years ago!

My only way out of town turned out to be in the north, passing by some houses, one of which was being visited by a police officer after an apparent run-in with a robber. I'm definitely glad to be getting out of here, I thought as I continued to Route 5.

There was a slight slope to the path as I moved further south through the long grass, where I was hoping to encounter an interesting new Pokémon. I eventually did, but while it was interesting, it was not new.

Will chew on anything with its fangs. If you see one, it is certain that 40 more live in the area.
Odin the Rattata, Level 14
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Hyper Fang

At the end of the slope there was a gatehouse to Saffron City. I tried going through but the guard wouldn't let me. He wouldn't say why, and would only whine about not having anything to drink. I left him to his misery and went to another building nearby, which was apparently a tunnel that allowed travelers to go under the city. Is anyone allowed in there? I thought as I walked down the stairs and traversed the long, narrow corridor to the other side.

Upon returning to ground level and stepping outside onto Route 6, I was almost immediately attacked by a wild Pokémon. "Jigglypuff!" she cried out as she began to Sing her song.

"No!" I cried, knowing all too well what happens when you hear a Jigglypuff's song. I threw a poké ball, and...Jigglypuff was caught!

Uses its alluring eyes to enrapture its foe. It then sings a pleasing melody that lulls the foe to sleep.
Puffy the Jigglypuff, Level 3
-Sing

I smiled at the realization that I could now send entire teams to sleep(even though I already could with Cotton's Sleep Powder), just like the Lass on Route 3. But sadly that would have to wait as Puffy was at such a low level. And in any case she was in the PC, so I continued down the route with my current team.

There were a few trainers to fight, including a pair of Junior Trainers who were more into themselves than Pokémon battling if you know what I mean. =P There was also a Bug Catcher who finally decided to use a fully evolved Bug-type with Butterfree. It wasn't enough to defeat ,my own Butterfree however.

One other thing of note was Ivanna finally learning a Poison-type move, Poison Sting. It wasn't very strong however, but at least it had a chance of poisoning her opponents. And Aria finally evolved into Pidgeotto, which was a bittersweet moment for me as it brought back memories of her fallen comrade, Concord.

This Pokémon is full of vitality. It constantly flies around its large territory in search of prey.
Aria the Pidgeotto, Level 18
-Gust
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack

Then, with the trainers routed, I finally arrived at my next location, the seaside Vermillion City,. Here was my chance to catch some Water-type Pokémon! But that would have to wait a bit, as like always I first healed my Pokémon at the PokéCentre and stocked up on pokéballs at the PokéMart before seeing what else the city had to offer.

The first thing I noticed was an old man fishing next to the PokéCentre. He noticed me too.

"Hey young'n, do you like to fish?"

I had never fished before in my life, but I didn't want to tell him that. "Yes," I replied. Nothing more, nothing less.

"That's great!" he said. Before I knew it he was handing me an Old Rod. "Take this. You can catch many great Pokémon with it. Go land the big one, young'n!"

I decided to give it a shot, casting a line into the sea just south of the PokéCentre. I waited, and waited, and wai-Oh, it's a bite!

Famous for being very unreliable. It can be found swimming in seas, lakes, rivers and shallow puddles.
Squishy the Magikarp, Level 5
-Splash

And that is how Squishy joined my ever-growing team, which at long last now included a Water-type! I used up like half of my poké balls to catch it too(even while it was asleep!), so I figured it would be pretty good.

The next stop I made was to the Pokémon Fan Club. Inside I met a number of other Pokémon enthusiasts, but none more so than the president. He couldn't stop gushing about his prized Pokémon, a Rapidash, that he bragged about hugging and cuddling with. I found that hard to believe however as I saw no signs of burns anywhere on his body. O_o

Nonetheless he thanked me for the visit by giving me a Bike Voucher. Sweet! Now that cute pink bike with the basket I was admiring in Cerulean City could be mine!

After picking up a few more poké balls after losing so many for Squishy, I headed east towards Route 11 where I added another member to my team.

Very docile. If attacked, it will often kick up sand to protect itself rather than fight back.
Pip the Pidgey, Level 18
-Gust
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack

I didn't stay on the route for long, instead backtracking in order to explore Diglett's Cave on the edge of town, not intending to go too far just yet as I was merely looking for new Pokémon. Then..."Diglett!" I looked in every direction, including up this time, but nothing could be seen. I then realized that I had heard that sound once before, way back in Pewter Gym,,,at which point I knew to look down.

It prefers dark places. It spends most of its time underground, though it may pop up in caves.
Claws the Diglett, Level 15
-Scratch
-Growl

This one also took quite a few poké balls to catch, even after being put to sleep by Cotton.

I then returned to the PokéCentre, heading to the PC to greet my five new Pokémon. Both Puffy and Squishy were extremely weak compared to everyone else, and to make matters worse had no means of attacking whatsoever. Thus they were the priority as I began my largest training regiment yet.

I started on Route 6, but after too many close calls with wild Pidgeotto I decided to backtrack all the way to Cerulean City. I had wanted to go there anyway as I could now get my brand new bike! :D I quickly hopped onto it and continued to Route 24 for more training.

Puffy and Squishy grew pretty quickly at first, mostly with Toxica's help as she had an advantage over the Oddish and Bellsprout of the route. Once Toxica grew stronger and learned Confusion, Pip started taking over more, eventually learning Whirlwind before evolving into my third Pidgeotto of the journey.

This Pokémon is full of vitality. It constantly flies around its large territory in search of prey.
Pip the Pidgeotto, Level 19
-Gust
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack
-Whirlwind

At this point I decided to take Puffy and Squishy to Route 4 along with Odin and Claws, neither of which were prepared for Route 24, and Cotton and Loki included for added protection. Cotton sympathized with the two Pokémon who couldn't attack, as she had a similar experience back when we first met in Viridian Forest. As for Loki, he was starting to form a rivalry with Odin, his fellow Rattata. Their race against one another to become stronger was eventually won by Loki however, when he evolved into Raticate.

Its hind feet are webbed. They act as flippers, so it can swim in rivers and hunt for prey.
Loki the Raticate, Level 20
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Hyper Fang

I did some more training, and eventually Puffy and Squishy learned some new moves. Puffy learned Pound and later Disable, and was finally able to do some fighting herself, while Squishy learned Tackle, though was still rather weak. At one point I reached into my bag to grab a Potion, but pulled out a pair of Rare Candies instead, Before I knew it Squishy had gobbled them up, at which point she began to glow, growing bigger, and bigger, and bigger.

Brutally vicious and enormously destructive. Known for totally destroying cities in ancient times.
Squishy the Gyarados, Level 20
-Splash
-Tackle
-Bite

"Squishy...is that you?" I finally managed to say, startled beyond disbelief. What just happened? Did this monster just eat my little squishy Squishy? Or could it be that this monster was Squishy?!

"Gyarados!" she cried out, testing out her new Bite attack on an unsuspecting Sandshrew. She definitely didn't need her friends' help to battle anymore, that was for sure! And yes, she definitely was Squishy after all. I could see it in her eyes that she was thankful for all the love we had given her on her long and awkward journey to become...this.

There was not much training left to do after that, as I felt that I was now more than ready to continue on my way. Nonetheless were two things left to do: continue training Claws until he learned Dig(how he got underground before was a mystery but I just accepted it), and taking one of the Moon Stones in my bag and offering it to Ivanna.

Tough scales cover the sturdy body of this Pokémon. It appears that the scales grow in cycles.
Ivanna the Nidoqueen, Level 20
-Poison Sting
-Tackle
-Scratch
-Double Kick

"Nidoqueen!" she cheered happily after the evolution was complete, flexing her muscles to try out her new power. She could now protect her friends even more than she once could, and that put a smile on both of our faces.

I then turned and headed back to Vermillion, now more than ready to continue on my journey.

Chapter 10 Round-up

Money: 23,834
Time: 11:27
Living: 11
Dead: 3
Soft-Resets: 1

Badge Case

Items

Poké Ball x 12
Moon Stone x 1
Escape Rope x 1
Ether x 1
Full Restore x 1
X Special x 1

I haven't decided if I'll use the X Special or just sell it. It might be useful in Saffron Gym....

Team

Ivanna the Nidoqueen, Level 20
-Poison Sting
-Tackle
-Scratch
-Double Kick

Cotton the Butterfree, Level 19
-Sleep Powder
-Confusion
-Poisonpowder
-Stun Spore

Damon the Zubat, Level 19
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Bite

Puffy the Jigglypuff, Level 18
-Sing
-Pound
-Disable

Squishy the Gyarados, Level 20
-Splash
-Tackle
-Bite

Claws the Diglett, Level 19
-Scratch
-Growl
-Dig

Other Pokémon

Spoiler:

Boxed

Spoiler:

Loki the Raticate, Level 20
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Hyper Fang

Toxika the Venonat, level 19
-Tackle
-Disable
-Supersonic
-Confusion

Aria the Pidgeotto, Level 19
-Gust
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack

Odin the Rattata, Level 18
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Quick Attack
-Hyper Fang

Pip the Pidgeotto, Level 19
-Gust
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack
-Whirlwind

Dead

Spoiler:

Concord the Pidgeotto, level 18
-Gust
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack

Feathers the Spearow, Level 17
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer
-Fury Attack

Drumstix the Spearow, Level 13
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer

You can probably see why I took a break now, given all the training that went on. Look at how much the time counter progressed. =O

And now I have two more types represented with Ground and Water! Though no moves of the latter type yet. I'm still surprised that I never encountered a single Grass-type...Rock Tunnel is going to be tough. @_@

Relevant Advertising!

Old 11 Hours Ago (10:29 AM).

Nature: Adamant

Squishy is brilliant lol. It's awesome to see you add variety to your team :)

And again, great job writing this chapter. I love the life you breathe into the original text and gameplay.

Well done :)

Old 7 Hours Ago (1:56 PM). Edited 7 Hours Ago by CodeHelmet.

Nature: Relaxed

You can get Bulbasaur in Cerulean City(unless getting a Pokemon from a trainer is against the spirit of the challenge). Same can be said for Charmander if you want a Fire Type :). Will take a bit of training to get them up to snuff but so far your team isn't so bad. Whatever worked against Brock will work in Rock Tunnel and don't forget Claw's Dig is super effective on Rock Types(as is Ivanna's Double Kick).

Good luck on Rock Tunnel as it will test your team's endurance.

Also, I think I'll start my own Pokemon Yellow challenge today. Will be the custom challenge I developed earlier in this topic with having just 6 Active Pokemon and locking types once they're caught. Pokemon caps are based on highest level of next Gym Leader(12, 21, 28, 32, 50, 50, 54 and 55. 65 for E4) and Gym Battles are on an even basis(1v1, 2v2, 3v3, etc. or you can go into a battle like Ash did against Elesa with just 1 Pokemon). Pikachu is my starter and will last until it dies. Use of Healing items is limited to those found. Considering the cap on Active Pokemon, it is possible to get by without buying anything from Pokemon Mart's. TM restriction based on STAB and lack of natural move(ex: Teaching Dig to Sandshrew). HM's can be taught to any active Pokemon. Pokemon acquired from Trainers(Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle) are permitted but count against Active/type restrictions(which with TM restriction, may not be the best route to take(Squirtle doesn't learn Ice moves)).

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links