• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] first challenge?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
anyone happen to remember the first challenge they ever did? long before i was ever on pc when i was just a wee syd, i did a lot of monotypes or other things to restrict myself in the game. sometimes did duo-types, too. i had a team of only water and normal types in frlg at one point. i did nfe challenges too. ofc back then i didn't call them challenges per se, i just thought to myself oh what if i beat ruby only using steel types or grass types. and i would plot out my teams and go for it. i think i also did like. a no attack challenge? like i beat the game where everyone just used status moves...i had way too much time on my hands as a kid. and too much masochistic curiosity. like...why would i ever want to play the game using status only moves...like dude wyd lol. also no purification challenges in colosseum and gale of darkness.........hoo boy.

the first challenge i made here on pc was before there was a dedicated challenge area lol. i made it in the dppt forum bc it was just for, you guessed it, dppt. it was something weird like. the mono gen/type duo challenge. you had to pick two pokemon of the same type from the same generation and beat dppt with them. i think there were other rando restrictions like only using pokeballs too lol. sometimes i think about remaking it just for nostalgia's sake.

so yeah what were y'alls first takes on challenges? whether it was here on pc or just on your own time, what got you into it?

Years
I remember doing NFE run in Yellow when I was a kid. I know I had Pikachu and all the starters on my team, but can't remember other 2 Pokémon. Probably Pidgeotto or Nidorina. Or both. Speaking of Yellow I also did a run where I only used Ash's Pokémon and even went so far as releasing Butterfree as Ash did. I did the same run on Ash Gray, but that was after I log in on this forum.

As for the first challenge here on forum I tracked it down to be the Time Warp Egyptian Era in Fire Red. I don't know why but I still remember one portion of that run where I fought Giovanni under Rocket HQ and beat him with Persian and Golbat.

Then I played a lot of Random Pokémon Challenges, which is to this date probably my most played challenge.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
I think my first ever challenge was a Normal Monotype run on...I think it was White back when I still had a physical copy of it. I honestly can't remember, though.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
I think the first one I did was a Kingdra Solo run on HeartGold. I think I did that because of a reddit post or something. Picked Kingdra because I never had a chance to use one during an actual run. After that I discovered PC and the rest is history!

Years
As someone who hasn't ever done a challenge before, I've decided that my first challenge will be a monotype run. I'm not sure which game yet would the best for it (maybe Platinum? I have that lying around and I don't do anything with it), but I'm sure it'll be exciting. n.n

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
As someone who hasn't ever done a challenge before, I've decided that my first challenge will be a monotype run. I'm not sure which game yet would the best for it (maybe Platinum? I have that lying around and I don't do anything with it), but I'm sure it'll be exciting. n.n

platinum is great for challenges considering it's already pretty hard. have you considered a type? since i like to have a full team, i always check the regional dex for the game i'm considering and make sure there's at least 6 pokemon available to me aha.

Years
As Sydian said, Platinum is great for challenges. It's one of the harder games, so you can feel the difference between regular playthrough and monotype run. As for the type, I think either of Grass, Fire or Water-types is good start. You get one Pokémon of that type as starter and can get another one before 1st Gym. Alternatively you can try using Ground, Fighting or Steel-types (secondary typing of the starters). They allow you to have more diverse team, because the fact that these types are mostly used as secondary type and there are bunch of Pokémon in Sinnoh with these types (some even with two of them like Steelix or Lucario).

Sorvete

Novice
Years
I've done a Flying monotype in White a long time ago. I had some fun using Emolga and Unfezant, two Pokémon I wouldn't give too much attention to in other circumstances :PP

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 7, 2019
I'm currently doing a randomizer nuzlocke on my channel for Platinum and Black. They are my first ones and it's fun using different pokemon that you would normally never use!

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
Mine was a Flying monotype of Platinum, I believe! I was about 14 at the time and still have that savefile on my cartridge... and I was also proud of beating the League with lv. <50 Pokémon, which was a challenge in itself!

Years
first challenge ever was a Nuzlocke in Drayano's Pokemon Sacred Gold, which I did not finish since my save file combusted. Though for the first challenge I completed from start to finish was probably my normal-monotype of Pokemon Platinum

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 24, 2021
Mine was a randomized Nuzlocke in FireRed. My starter was Flygon and did do pretty well even though it kept one-shotting every wild Pokémon I wanted to catch. Unfortunately, I accidentally erased my save file before battling Erika.

In a way, I also did attempt a dual-type challenge in X before FireRed with 3 steel and 3 psychic, but I only wound up using 1 psychic and 2 that aren't either of those types, so it was kind of a failure. But now I'm going to make my postgame team all steel type.

Years
I know I had plans to do a bunch of monotype runs, back when I was a kid and Pokemon was at peak popularity and I was still full of the hope that one day my parents would get me a Gameboy and I'd get to play it (spoiler alert: that never happened). Since every gym leader had a monotype team, it was the obvious thing to do lol

I think that my first challenge, when I discovered the existence of ROM's in my late teens/early twenties and was finally able to live out my childhood Pokemon dreams, was a Nuzlock, probably inspired by my finding The Comic. Which I assume is how I eventually stumbled upon PC? I have a terrible memory lol

Years
My first was an X and Y nuzlocke but I was so nervous that I put in way too many clauses (shiny, dupes, species, wobbuffet, used xp share, no level cap) and it was super easy. Funny that right now I am doing another Y nuzlocke but without Wobbuffet clause, no xp share and no overleveling since I am more experienced in Nuzlockes now and want more of a challenge.

That being said, Y still isn't a hard game to nuzlocke and I don't think I'll lose more than 5 mons total, I've lost 1 and I just got to Grants gym.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I guess it would technically be a solo challenge, but I think that's what most young kids did for their first pokemon playthrough.
The first "challenge" I did was an all-types run, which I don't think many people have done. Basically you run through the game with 17/18 pokemon, one pokemon representing each type. It's basically a massive pain in the ass that turns into an underlevelled challenge or a grinding challenge. Would definitely recommend it though.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
I didn't plan it to be a challenge, but I call it the chibi run. Essentially my entire team or most of it, is made up of the pre-evo
baby forms of pokemon. For example I have a torchic, a cleffa, just replaced riolu, have shuppet, and a panpour.

if you want to make it more challenging any evolved form pokemon you catch, you have to breed it, hatch the egg and use that instead.

Back