• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Okay, I have a question that I am pretty sure I know the answer to, but I just want to be on the safe side.

If a script is controlling the player while he's walking through pokemon-infested grass, is there any chance a wild pokemon can pop out and interrupt the script?

Also, does anyone know how to edit the description of an item? Or is there a certain item-editing tool that does this?

~Mayan

Nope, you'll be perfectly safe from wild encounters if the player isn't moving on their own accord.

You can use an item editor such as this to change the descriptions.

Years
HELP - Scripting for Fire Red

First of all I apologize if this is not the correct thread to post this in.

Okay, so I am trying to make some scripts in a Fire Red ROM. I want to create a pokéball in the overworld than gives me an item when I talk to it and then disappears. Just like you would see in the game.
HOW DO I DO THIS?

I know this is probably a noob post but I don't care.
I just can't find a tutorial anywhere on how to do this.

I know a basic giveitem script but I don't know how to make it so that the sprite disappears after I receive the item.

I want the item to be one potion so I know its normally(at least I think):

#org $start
giveitem 0xD 0x1
end

I just don't know how to make the pokéball disappear.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
OK i have a LOT of questions, and hopefully you all can help :D

1. Is there a way to edit specials? Such as the cutscene when riding the Cablecar? Also, are the Fortree Gym revolving doors a special?

2. Is there a tool out there that deletes all pointers in a game not used? I've deleted alot of people, and a few level scripts, and they're all clogging up my space, and i want them gone.

3. Are the special trainer commands available in R/S? Usually, you can only have 0x0, 0x1, and 0x4, but I've seen others, such as 0x3, which displays a text if you lose, and doesn't white you out. I've only seen those in FR hacks though.

4. How do you edit multichoices?

5. Can you sell TMs in Pokemarts, and how?

All help is appreciated. Thanks for everything :)

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Is there any way to change which Pokemon appear in the introductory movie in Ruby, where the trainer sends out Mudkip and Torchic (Tepig and Oshawott in my hack) against Duskull and Sharpedo (Duosion and Ferrothorn in my hack)? I already edited the sprites and everything, which included the ones for the aforementioned Pokemon, when adding them just to have them in the game.

Last edited:
Years
Ok, I have a few questions. I'm experimenting with ROM Hacking, with the eventual aim of making a ROM Hack. But the thing is, I absolutely hate the Oak/Birch/Whatever intro. Is there a way to entirely remove that intro, and name the Player/Rival within the game itself? I.E., what I would like to do is edit the help screen (Pretty sure Advance Text will do this), then go from there straight into the game, where I could use Scripts to acheive what that irritating intro does. Oh, and i'm looking at Fire Red, by the way. Also what are the major advantages of each ROM over the others? I remember finding a list somewhere, but, try as I might, I cannot find it again. Oh, and why is Fire Red used over Leaf Green, and Ruby over Sapphire, etc?
Thanks a bunch, guys!

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Ok, I have a few questions. I'm experimenting with ROM Hacking, with the eventual aim of making a ROM Hack. But the thing is, I absolutely hate the Oak/Birch/Whatever intro. Is there a way to entirely remove that intro, and name the Player/Rival within the game itself? I.E., what I would like to do is edit the help screen (Pretty sure Advance Text will do this), then go from there straight into the game, where I could use Scripts to acheive what that irritating intro does. Oh, and i'm looking at Fire Red, by the way. Also what are the major advantages of each ROM over the others? I remember finding a list somewhere, but, try as I might, I cannot find it again. Oh, and why is Fire Red used over Leaf Green, and Ruby over Sapphire, etc?
Thanks a bunch, guys!

I don't think you can completely remove the intro, but you can extensively edit it. If you edit the Birch/Oak sprite, you can make it whoever or whatever you want to appear first. You can also edit the text using AdvanceText. Advantages of Ruby over FireRed include specifically that if you want a particular legendary Pokemon to play a major role, those scripts already exist and you can edit them accordingly. There is also one more already-existing legendary battle script. Advantages of FireRed over Ruby include that there are 4 overworld maps (counting the Sevii islands), which allow you to add regions, though I don't know how to do this. It also has more already-existing sprites in the game's coding. Note that script structure and script commands are different between Ruby and FireRed. Sapphire and LeafGreen are not used commonly because Ruby and FireRed offsets for hacking are more commonly known. There are also many tools that work with Ruby and FireRed, but not with Sapphire and LeafGreen. Hope I helped!

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
is it possible to add an entire pokemon to the pokedex

Yes, it's very possible and not too terribly difficult, though also not for beginning hackers. You simply create the sprites in paint, then insert them using an appropriate program, such as UnLZ, PokePic, or Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor, and edit the palettes as necessary. Then, you use YAPE (Yet Another Pokemon Editor) to edit the Pokemon's name, stats, type, abilities, learnset, etc. Note that you cannot add to the Pokedex; you can only replace existing Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2011
k i actually already knew all that but i wanted to add to the pokedex

EDIT: how do i change the pokedex order

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2014
There are a lot of questions I want to ask. Note that this is all in Leaf
1. Can you apply a FireRed patch to a LeafGreen ROM?
2. How do you change the gym leader and rival's Pokémon? Or is it possible to create it in C#?
3. Is it possible to remove the battle with your rival at the start?
4. I want the game to make Pikachu stay out of it's Poké Ball if it's in the party, you are the original trainer, and Professor Oak gave it to you. Is it possible for the game to check these flags, and if all true, make Pikachu walk behind you?

Thank you for your help in advance!
Sorry about all the questions... maybe Swampert could help with the coding part in #2...?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
There are a lot of questions I want to ask. Note that this is all in Leaf
1. Can you apply a FireRed patch to a LeafGreen ROM?
2. How do you change the gym leader and rival's Pokémon? Or is it possible to create it in C#?
3. Is it possible to remove the battle with your rival at the start?
4. I want the game to make Pikachu stay out of it's Poké Ball if it's in the party, you are the original trainer, and Professor Oak gave it to you. Is it possible for the game to check these flags, and if all true, make Pikachu walk behind you?

Thank you for your help in advance!

1) No, you have to apply the patches to the ROM which they were speciffically designed for.

2) Assuming that you're using a 3rd Gen ROM, Hackmew's A-Trainer is the best tool for changing a trainer's Pokemon.

3.) Yes, that can be accomplished through scripting. Have a look at the avaliable tools in the Toolbox and any tutorials associated with them. I'd suggest using XSE as it is a very comprehensive tool.

4.) There is no way to do that without using ASM (Assembly), but you can check out this thread if you want.

Years
Ok, thanks for answering my questions. However, I have a few more... Is it possible to change/remove the choices oak/bich/whoever offers you in the intro. i.e forcing a certain name or gender to be selected? Also, how would I go about inserting a "movie" like the legendary battle in emerald? Oh, and can someone point me towards a tutorial or instructions on how to add additional regions in Fire Red?

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Ok, thanks for answering my questions. However, I have a few more... Is it possible to change/remove the choices oak/bich/whoever offers you in the intro. i.e forcing a certain name or gender to be selected? Also, how would I go about inserting a "movie" like the legendary battle in emerald? Oh, and can someone point me towards a tutorial or instructions on how to add additional regions in Fire Red?

Every single thing you asked requires the use of ASM, which is the most advanced form of ROM Hacking. I suggest looking in to some ASM tutorials in you wish to accomplish those goals. :)

Years
Ok. How does one go about editing an attack?

EDIT: Whoops, never mind. I found your Attack Editor Pro, Darthatron.

Thanks heaps, guys. This should keep me busy for a while.

Last edited:

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
This may be a stupid question, but is there a way (a certain program or something) to view an assembly routine/code? Like to translate the hex version into the assembly instruction version (the same way XSE translates the hex version of a script to a readable language)?

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
This may be a stupid question, but is there a way (a certain program or something) to view an assembly routine/code? Like to translate the hex version into the assembly instruction version (the same way XSE translates the hex version of a script to a readable language)?

IDA pro can do that. But you're better off using an emulator in debug mode.

Ok. How does one go about editing an attack?

EDIT: Whoops, never mind. I found your Attack Editor Pro, Darthatron.

Thanks heaps, guys. This should keep me busy for a while.

Now I'm answering questions without posting. I'm amazing!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back