• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Captace Region (Fakemon + Other stuff)

Jappio

Prophet of Lightning
Years
First time doing back sprites, and would be happy to hear some feedback or advice.

A little background on this guy. Someone contacted me, wanting to do an art trade. I'm going to get a drawing of something, and in return I was to do make this guy for some hack he is doing. He gave me a few parameters, like making it have two bones and what not. The guys name is Raikumi and he hasn't named this yet.

MarowhakEvo-1.png

Jappio

Prophet of Lightning
Years
Wow, been quite some time since I've gotten anything finished.

More work on the Link sprite. I got two more frames, and now I was able to make a sort of beta animation. Now I do plan on making more frames. I'm thinking either a frame ever 60 or 45 degrees of the spin. I might get lazy and do some more blurring and less detail work, because having to always reshade and redo every little detail in each of these frames is a pain.

LinkSpinBeta.gif

Here are the stilled frames for those who want to look at them more closely.

5FrameExample.png

As always, I would love any comments or critisism you can give. I'm giving these sprites my all, but I know that probably won't be enough.

Oh and no one get their hopes up that I'm going to do anything 5th gen related. I want to stay as blind as possible to the new games until I get to actually play through one. I'm afraid to even be on the internet and risk seeing something in someone's sig =P

Years
  • Seen Nov 25, 2011
These are pretty good! I'm impressed. And the eraser tool in paint is helpful, might make my splicing and fakemon making easier. Customs and individual fills are tiring. XD

Jappio

Prophet of Lightning
Years
Finished up my redo of this line of Fakemon. Thanks to other projects I haven't been showing my Captace region the attention I owe it. However lucky for it, my spriting ability is better now, so hopefully they'll look even better as I go through them.

Wizardline.png

A Psychic family line. Lizwiz, Lizgician, and Lizarlock. I'll soon get a video uploaded of me making the second stage soon actually. I'll edit it in here after work.

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
Years
Hahahahaha, for some reason they remind me of the magic koopas from my Paper Mario game. They look very nice. I'm not the best spriter, but I can't really point out anything to criticize.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Hahahahaha, for some reason they remind me of the magic koopas from my Paper Mario game. They look very nice. I'm not the best spriter, but I can't really point out anything to criticize.

Haha, yeah they do, but they are really good :D Gifted Spriter.

Jappio

Prophet of Lightning
Years
I've been asked a couple of times if I could do a tutorial on scratching sprites, sort of like I've done with splicing. I usually turned those people away, saying "I'm not a good enough spriter to teach scratching yet." Well I don't think I'm all that better yet, but I think I'm good enough that I could make a decent tutorial for it, even if I'm not a pro yet.

I will be doing a Fakemon as the example sprite for it, but hopefully I'll make the tutorial in a way that will apply to most sprite styles. I've written up a sort of rough outline for how I'd do it. It would be multiple videos, all split up into these categories. I know if I make it too long most won't want to follow, but I really want to hit on all points that I can.

Sorry this isn't me posting anything that could be consider true content. I haven't gotten any finished sprites to show since I've been jumping between projects and don't have anything that's ready to show quite yet for that.

Intro
- What is Spriting
- What it can be used for
- Scratching
- Overview of tutorial
- Explain what I'll be doing
- Explain I'll be making a Fakemon, but I'll do my best to explain other styles too as I go along

Concept/Planning
- Start off by explaining people should have a plan
- What will be the purpose of the sprite?
- Go over styles and games that they might choose from
- Show that starting with a hand drawn doodle can be a good way to start off
- Show off doodles and planning stages I have for the example

Basic Form/Line Art
- Introduce them to MS Paint
- Should explain programs like YY-CHR and others for game sprites alterations
- Start by showing two methods of basic form
- Blotchy method
- Doodly method
- Saving as .PNG
- Describe things like how to do curves
- Explain that looking at examples can help
- Fixing up and double checking stuff

Coloring and Shading
- Color choice
- Palettes
- Light sources
- Saving as .PNG
- Textures
- Form through shading

Finishing Touches and Posting
- Check around for errors and fixes that can be done
- Saving as .PNG
- Presentation choices
- Uploading
- Posting
- Dealing with critique and responses
- Closing

Since I am doing this to teach others, I do not mind at all if anyone makes comments on my plan so far for this. If you think there is something else I should include or explain, let me know, and I'll see if I can get it added.

Years
I think the Colour and Shading section should have a section on hue shading if you're confident on it. I really love seeing varied shading. I look forward to this tutorial. :D

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
I've been asked a couple of times if I could do a tutorial on scratching sprites, sort of like I've done with splicing. I usually turned those people away, saying "I'm not a good enough spriter to teach scratching yet."

Don't let that hold you back; the first Pokemon sprite I ever made from scratch was for my tutorial. :D

Jappio

Prophet of Lightning
Years
Just one question Spherical Ice, what do you mean by "Hue Shading" ?

I might know what it is, but I don't recognize the term.

Edit: Never mind, found out.

Last edited:

Jappio

Prophet of Lightning
Years
I really dont have much to say about this, do I? It's another set of Fakemon I guess.

I'm taking a risk with the lack of a border on the wind there. No Pokemon in 3rd gen really had just wind going about them, so there wasn't really a standard to go by there. Everything seems to almost always have some form of border, but the attack gfx for wind doesn't use borders, and some things like Ghastly's gas don't use a border, so hopefully my lack of it doesn't break too far away from the usual style GameFreak uses.

windguys.png

Jappio

Prophet of Lightning
Years
Here are some over-worlds I'm working on for a friend's RPGmaker game. Although I suppose that isn't all too important.

The little fox boy is a character of my friend, Red Ryu. The big guy is of course my usual Raizou guy.

The sprites are based/styled after some of the generic sprites from RPG maker.

ryuandraizou.png

Back