• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC Game Jam 2: And Make It Double!

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
kqsbhx9.png

Prepare for trouble!
And make it double!
To protect the community from overscoped games!
To hand out prizes in the winners' names!
To have the designers shape the bad guys' lairs!
To ensure the criminals get what's theirs!
Java's Missingno.!
Saving Raven!
Team Rocket (or your choice of bad guys) blast off at the speed of light!
Get their hideouts designed, so they're prepared to fight!
On Pokecommunity, that's right!

Game Jam's Revenge!
This game jam's all about building evil encounters. Each villain team in the Pokemon games has had an interesting and unique base of operations, from Rocket's Mahogany and Celadon hideouts to Plasma's frigate to Cipher's island surrounded by artificial maelstroms.

So what goes into an evil encounter? Broadly speaking, it's when our intrepid hero crosses paths with the game's criminal team, either as they're acting out some master plan or bringing the fight to the bad guys in their secret base. Your goal is to build such an encounter during the game jam, with your focus on level design, challenge, and plot.

Unlike the last game jam, this one is going to last a full week, starting Sunday, July 20th and ending the 27th. The reasoning for this is that while a short and sweet jam is preferable, the extended length will hopefully allow for more participants to weigh in. If all you can spring for is a day's worth of participation, fret not; as with the previous game jam, overall polish won't be the sole focus of judging.

What goes into an entry is relatively simple - contestants must make a multi-level "dungeon", meaning that the evil villain encounter must be multiple maps, and not a single one. There must be multiple trainers to fight, and 1 or more "bosses" (either the head of the organization or an admin). Assume the player has no knowledge of the team(you can either use an established group of bad guys like Cipher or Team Rocket, or go ahead and make your own villains; don't feel confined to established canon). Whether or not the player's character is aware of the team is another story altogether, but make sure that the player can understand what's going on. The encounter can take place either as a heist of a building, an infiltration of the team's main center of operations, a small branch base, or any other situation involving your evil team of choice.

Judging
Storyline
- What's going on? Are the players invested in the adventure as it unfolds?
Setting - Where is the player encountering the bad guys? If there is a puzzle in the adventure, how engaging is it?
Challenge - Same criteria as the gym challenge; does it feel satisfying to win, or is the adventure just a cakewalk?

Rules

• Participants may sign up by posting in this thread any time before Midnight (Pacific Time) on the night of Friday, July 18th! I wouldn't recommend starting early as I may change some aspects of the competition prior to the start time(such as my obvious lack of judging criteria), and one of the big points of any game jam is to see what you can do under time constraints anyhow. You don't have to sign up to participate, but it would help me to know who all was planning on participating, as well as allow me to help out if any participant needs any assistance. (I can pretty much guarantee I won't be online for the entirety of the Game Jam to help, but I'll do my best to be as accessible as possible).
  • If you're a Judge, you cannot also be a participant in the Jam's competitive aspects. This is to prevent bias. However, if you want to make an unofficial entry which wouldn't be scored in the competition, please feel free!
  • Participants are allowed to use any tilesets, engines, and official or fanmade Pokemon that they wish. Please note that no special judgement will be based on tiles, custom or no, nor upon the functionality of the engine(if you're using your own engine, please make sure it works. Framerate and minor bugs will not affect judgement but your entry should at least be playable)
  • Participants may set the player's team of Pokemon to whatever they wish, provided that the story can be completed with that team. I guess here would be a good place to mention that there should also be a Pokemon Center or equivalent in your entry, in case players lose or need to heal their Pokemon.
  • Participants have until Midnight on the night of Saturday, July 26th to submit their final entry to be judged. Non-competitive entries will also be accepted for this space until midnight on the night of Sunday, July 27th, but no later, as I hope to finish judging by the end of that week.
The Judges

• Java's Missingno. - Host of the first jam and this jam and yours truly :P
  • Saving Raven - First place winner of the previous jam
  • dragonnite - Returning volunteer judge from the first jam
At this point, I feel 3 judges is plenty for the jam.

The Participants

• Roaming Murkrow - ENTRY RECEIVED
  • Badhaas
  • WackyTurtle - ENTRY RECEIVED
  • Cilerba
  • Goloog
  • Ephraim225 - ENTRY RECEIVED
  • Worldslayer608(Tentative)
  • hanswurst1999 - ENTRY RECEIVED
  • Umbreon(Tentative)
  • joeyhugg - ENTRY RECEIVED
  • |3lackEclipse - ENTRY RECEIVED
Sign up by posting in the thread, and I'll add you to the list of participants. If you're not interested in producing a competitive entry, feel free to sign up anyways and your entry can be placed in the gallery with the others!

The Gallery
I created a curated gallery of the submitted entries for the previous game jam with the help of its judges, and plan to expand it to include the submissions for this one.

Last edited:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
I fancy judging again missingno.

Awesome! Glad to have you aboard again! I think that 3 judges will be enough this time.

**Another announcement:**
The powers that be have informed me of a game jam going on at the same time in the Pokecommunity get together. Not meaning to step on anyone's toes, I'm afraid the event is going to have to be pushed back by 2 weeks, so it'll start the 20th and run to the 27th. It looks like it'll be a fun one, so if you're interested, check it out here.

In all honesty, that will probably also give me, Saving Raven, and dragonnite a chance to talk about what criteria we can judge by for this jam.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
I'd love to participate again, though I'm not sure whether I've got time available yet. It sounds really interesting. The scope seems to be a little bit bigger than the previous Jam, but that depends on your approach. I'll let you know once I've confirmed I've got the time available to participate.

ps: In the second paragraph of the original post you still mention the old dates.
pps: The link to the other gamejam doesn't lead to a topic (I don't know why, just thought you should know).

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
Ok, I´m in, I´ll make time if I have to ;p. It's no longer tentative.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I am going to have to declare a withdraw of entry. I have a funeral service to attend out of State on the 21st and will not be back to having available time until the 25th when I get home :(.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
I am going to have to declare a withdraw of entry. I have a funeral service to attend out of State on the 21st and will not be back to having available time until the 25th when I get home :(.
Oh jeez, my condolences. :/ Sorry you won't be able to participate this time, but hopefully next time?

hanswurst1999

The Slow Bro
Years
I too would like to participate, although I don't know if I will have an entry ready when the deadline comes.
Do you(Java's Missingno.) decide some aspect again(like the type last time) or is everything up to us?

PinkCatDragon

The 17 year old programer. Now byte off
Years
Can't wait for the game jam to start.

I can't wait either, this Jam is shaping up to be a really good one!
Remember to sign up by this Friday, the 18th!

5 days till the start guys. I want to see some good design when it starts. but we all know it not as good as my top secret base in mt. Everest where i manufacture CD-Is MHAHAHAHA
Spoiler:

Back