• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Enjoying my Microsoft

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
For me, I love the compatibility of software for it. Almost everything is written for Windows, which leads to my second point: it's extremely easy to develop for with a plethora of software suites such as .NET and whatnot.

While I do like it, I do have dislikes for it. Besides Windows 10 and its pushy updates, which I've wrestled into submission, it really does slow down over time, and it's incredibly bloated. I imagine uninstalling some software will remedy it a bit, but a clean reinstall is usually best, although it's a pain to update because of how many updates behind I'd be from the factory image. It also gets spontaneous bugs that seem to crop up from nowhere, so it does get to be annoying when they become a huge inconvenience.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
  • Handles DPI scaling, which is important for my laptop as it has a 14" 1440p screen. Linux does it, but worse.
  • My VPN can do a network lock. This was broken on Linux recently and I don't know why.
  • I'm able to develop software, draw with my stylus in Photoshop/Illustrator, and communicate everywhere easily. Windows can do more because it can handle touch better.

Dislikes
  • windows.jpg
  • "IncrediBuild Coordinator Service" swamping disk usage. I'm surprised it's able to, I have 512GB of state-of-the-art solid state storage over PCIe.
  • Poor accomodations for development. Windows has a major bias for Microsoft's ready-made solution blackboxes. It's passable to do web development on them, and painful to do native dev... unless you use Visual Studio and then it's hard on every other platform so yeah, problem not solved

One thing I do enjoy, even though it's not a feature Microsoft intended, is the behaviour of the built-in Administrator account in respect to UWP. Needless to say, it doesn't work, which is exactly what I want it to do because it's incapable of doing anything but working against me. When I install Windows, I enable and manually manage the built-in admin account as my own through group policy and everything is A-OK, no super-bowl ads included.

Years
The thing I like about Windows 10 is the compatibility and the UI design. There are inconsistencies that are annoying though. And the humongous Creator's Update is ruining my data cap ;-;

Years
It's universally recognizable as an operating system, and not complicated to use at all. However, it has the flaw of being the most common OS out there, thus it's the most targeted for attacks.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
It's universally recognizable as an operating system, and not complicated to use at all.
This sums very well the pros of Windows.

Cons
  • Spying, "free" Windows 10 wasn't really free, its price was your privacy. Today it costs $119,99 and your privacy.
  • File system, Windows 10 still uses crappy old NTFS so you need to defragment your hard drive(s) regularly.
  • UAC is joke compared to Linux.
  • Poor update management and forced updates

Btw, Windows isn't the most common OS when all platforms are counted: http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share#monthly-201801-201801-bar

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I'm not that thrilled with the W10 OS, as it was forced on my computer (I couldn't back out of the 'upgrade' that I did not sign up for), and it's basically broken my laptop's usability. What the hardware for W8 could handle, it cannot handle for W10 and half of the time it's randomly rebooting for no apparent reason.

My disc usage is also regularly amped up to 100% now, which I am not thrilled about.

Years
I'm not that thrilled with the W10 OS, as it was forced on my computer (I couldn't back out of the 'upgrade' that I did not sign up for), and it's basically broken my laptop's usability. What the hardware for W8 could handle, it cannot handle for W10 and half of the time it's randomly rebooting for no apparent reason.

My disc usage is also regularly amped up to 100% now, which I am not thrilled about.
Random reboots hardly have anything to do with the OS itself, but rather the hardware.

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Random reboots hardly have anything to do with the OS itself, but rather the hardware.

It doesn't run hot and I don't get the "blue screen of death," though. So does anything in particular come to mind for the cause?

Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 26, 2020
I really love classic Windows, but the modern GUI and the changes in how it's laid out and organised put me off a lot, it makes me feel less in control of things if that makes sense. So personally I prefer to use older Windows when possible on my main desktops. If a system isn't connected to the internet I'll sometimes even use outdated versions of Windows lol.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Usually Windows have many apps to work with, including many games, which makes it easy to adopt Windows as regular OS. Not to mention it have several nice interfaces (shout out to Luna from Windows XP) and can be customized, these makes navigating in Windows comfortable. Well, I have enjoyed Windows XP and Windows 7. And I also enjoyed 8.1 as well thanks to customizations.

However, I'm not quite fond on Windows 10 after upgrading to it once, this makes me think that upgrading to the latest Windows isn't 100% a good thing.

Back