• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tile Insertion For AdvanceMap For Dummies

Byte me

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
*mods delete this please, redundant post.

Last edited:

qaz015393

pokemon revenge developer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
for some reason I cant insert anymore. I was only able to do it the very 1st time and now I keep getting the same error, that the tiles r just messed up. ANd yes i keep following the tuts. I tried inserting them in tiles 7 and 6. I didnt want to delete my other tiles [that were already inserted by my teams inserter... i just wanted some more]. Any help.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
Thank you for the prompt reply last time.
Been watching your video over and over trying to find what I'm missing... I checked to make sure the colors on the palette were all different on tilehelperAdvance but when I load the new palette the colors are all messed up. Made a video of what I've been trying, can you please let me know what I'm doin wrong?

www(.)youtube(.)com/watch?v=LOv44wKcwPw
*can't post links yet
Edit: Forgot to mention i used a fresh install of A-map 1.92 and a fresh 1986 UE Emerald rom

thanks for video ... seems the biggest problem everyone is having and maybe
qaz015393 said:
is having the same problem.

When you save tiles in TileHelperAdvance, you CAN NOT OVERWRITE. If you open up a file named newtiles.png for example and convert the colors ... you can't save it and overwrite that same file you opened up. Because it won't overwrite due to a sharing violation error, that's what the pop up error image is. You HAVE to save it as a new file name... so newtiles2.png or something. Then it'll work when you move the tiles over to the tileset image.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 17, 2015
Thank you for the prompt reply last time.
Been watching your video over and over trying to find what I'm missing... I checked to make sure the colors on the palette were all different on tilehelperAdvance but when I load the new palette the colors are all messed up. Made a video of what I've been trying, can you please let me know what I'm doin wrong?

www(.)youtube(.)com/watch?v=LOv44wKcwPw
*can't post links yet
Edit: Forgot to mention i used a fresh install of A-map 1.92 and a fresh 1986 UE Emerald rom
OK I think I know what your problem is. When saving the image in tilehelperadance change the image's name
to something else otherwise the image won't save.Also it doesn't matter if the color on the pallet is different. When you paste your image on the saved tileset Just change the pink to the purple. Works for me.

qaz015393

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
thanks man :D it works now!! Thanks for all the help man :D

qaz015393

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
Just a quick Q, after i inserted my tiles I noticed that the colors are a bit off.
Spoiler:

And here is how they r supposed to look in the tile set I'm using
Spoiler:

I'm wondering if there is something else wrong.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 17, 2015
Just a quick Q, after i inserted my tiles I noticed that the colors are a bit off.
Spoiler:

And here is how they r supposed to look in the tile set I'm using
Spoiler:

I'm wondering if there is something else wrong.
Nah. THA is specifically for that purpose. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to insert the house.

qaz015393

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
Nah. THA is specifically for that purpose. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to insert the house.
ok. So I guess I'll just use different doors then that look good for the house [and let my mappers work on the map stuff after we add some more tiles].

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 26, 2021
The original tile has to many colors to insert it. tile helper advance reduces them to 15 color + a backround color, which can change the overall appearance of the tile, if the original tile has more than 16 colors used.
i generally would say that reducing a tile with less than 32 colors to 16 colors is ok, but if it has more than 32 colors, the apperance could change to much.

Le pug

Years
The original tile has to many colors to insert it. tile helper advance reduces them to 15 color + a backround color, which can change the overall appearance of the tile, if the original tile has more than 16 colors used.
i generally would say that reducing a tile with less than 32 colors to 16 colors is ok, but if it has more than 32 colors, the apperance could change to much.

not necessarily true:

Here is an image with at least 256 colors:
MV-MLE-BEACH-AXIOM-00150235-760x350.jpg

Here is it indexed:
RlRwZ90.jpg

Hardly too big of a difference and this is with an image that captures reality .. image drawn tiles. Possibilities are endless, just got to be smart with it or else yeah your tiles are going to look bad if you have all sorts of blue, green, red, orange, yellow, white and black tiles just bunched together lol.

qaz015393

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
Tried inserting again but didnt use the tool u said at theend of your last vid tut. Will find that 1 later ( since i did this 2am).

This is what i got
VIRIDIAN CITY palette 9 [credit goes to Light _PA for tiles]
Spoiler:

Le pug

Years
Tried inserting again but didnt use the tool u said at theend of your last vid tut. Will find that 1 later ( since i did this 2am).

This is what i got
VIRIDIAN CITY palette 9 [credit goes to Light _PA for tiles]
Spoiler:

So are you saying it's working for you finally? Looks like it is.

qaz015393

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
So are you saying it's working for you finally? Looks like it is.
yeah! It's working for me. I also noticed y they were decreasing wrong/ off colors. I didnt have the 2 things checked when i was decreasing the color bit. Now I should have no more issues inserting.
Also any chance u can post a link to tile set manager.

Le pug

Years
yeah! It's working for me. I also noticed y they were decreasing wrong/ off colors. I didnt have the 2 things checked when i was decreasing the color bit. Now I should have no more issues inserting.
Also any chance u can post a link to tile set manager.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=198705

Works only on certain A-Maps. I used a german A-Map 1.92 since mine wasn't working. So if you get some error while following instructions, it's because you're using wrong Amap to do it.

Jcool

Stellar
Years
Can some pro try and help me out/explain this to me please?

My tiles seem to get messed up whenever I load a different tileset image. For example I put my trees in a tileset bmp/dib for palette 0, and my mountain tiles in another bmp/dib for palette 1. Whenever I switch the image I'm using to make new blocks and then write the changes, it messes up the tiles from the other bmp I used. Is this supposed to happen? (Because it's not very convenient) I see that he added the house at the bottom of the image and said not to paste it over the other tiles if I don't want them to be deleted, but it looks like there's not much free space at the bottom of that image to add a lot more tiles besides that house.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
Can some pro try and help me out/explain this to me please?

My tiles seem to get messed up whenever I load a different tileset image. For example I put my trees in a tileset bmp/dib for palette 0, and my mountain tiles in another bmp/dib for palette 1. Whenever I switch the image I'm using to make new blocks and then write the changes, it messes up the tiles from the other bmp I used. Is this supposed to happen? (Because it's not very convenient) I see that he added the house at the bottom of the image and said not to paste it over the other tiles if I don't want them to be deleted, but it looks like there's not much free space at the bottom of that image to add a lot more tiles besides that house.

By messes them up do you mean the colors? If so yes. Each pallet is only 16 colors so itll just show them in those 16 colors. And you will want to put both pallet 0 tiles and pallet 1 tiles in the same bmp (after you've switched pallets in a-map obviously).:P
And if you want more space create a new secondary tileset, take out duplicate tiles from your house(its hard and takes forever), or just overwrite tiles you wont use.

Jcool

Stellar
Years
By messes them up do you mean the colors? If so yes. Each pallet is only 16 colors so itll just show them in those 16 colors. And you will want to put both pallet 0 tiles and pallet 1 tiles in the same bmp (after you've switched pallets in a-map obviously).:P
And if you want more space create a new secondary tileset, take out duplicate tiles from your house(its hard and takes forever), or just overwrite tiles you wont use.

I explained that pretty badly. I understand overwriting palettes, but if I copy/paste my new tiles into the Tileset0 bitmap image (as shown below) and start putting in some new blocks like that tree there and I write the changes, suddenly a lot of blocks already in the game get very jumbled up. Not only the colors but many tiles have random blocks with parts of my tree in it (2nd image on the right in the block picker) though I didn't overwrite those blocks at all. I see that you said I need to put the tiles from both palettes in the same image, but if I overwrite more of those existing tiles in the Tileset0 bitmap then more of the blocks in my game get jumbled up like with the random instances of my tree tile. Expanding the bitmap more results in Advance Map not letting me use the image at all.

Tileset0_zps73c58d0f.png

tileset_zps0545a016.png

Last edited:

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
I explained that pretty badly. I understand overwriting palettes, but if I copy/paste my new tiles into the Tileset0 bitmap image (as shown below) and start putting in some new blocks like that tree there and I write the changes, suddenly a lot of blocks already in the game get very jumbled up. Not only the colors but many tiles have random blocks with parts of my tree in it (2nd image) though I didn't overwrite those blocks at all. I see that you said I need to put the tiles from both palettes in the same image, but if I overwrite more of those existing tiles in the Tileset0 bitmap then more of the blocks in my game get jumbled up like with the random instances of my tree tile. Expanding the bitmap more results in Advance Map not letting me use the image at all.

Tileset0_zps73c58d0f.png

tileset_zps0545a016.png

Thats normal. Thats because the block data is set to load the tiles you deleted and overwrote. Just go back to the block editor in a-map and edit it and fix it up. Nothing wrong with what youre doing.

And yea you cant expand the bmp cause the game is set to read a specific size.

Back