• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriting Tutorials - Pokemon and Trainer

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
Your newest tutorial is great! I'm terrible with trainers so I'll try it out. And the Dexter sprite is funny especially because it's on right now!

Years
these tutorials were really cool
im gonna start practicing spriteing pokemon

the thing is i wanna start making a game and i want to have sprites of people i know and famous people too

do you have any advice on how to take a pictur of a real person and make a sprite out of it?

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
I would recommend doing it from scratch, but if you have a picture in the pose you want, you could do it as a trace-over and refer to existing trainer sprites for the face and shading.

Sophidius

Need a storyline? PM me!
Years
Hmm, after a couple of failures I eventually sprited this:
tugro.png

and this:
spargas.png

I'm sorry if I'm a bad spriter :(

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Heh, you don't need to apologize. The colors and shading aren't quite right... you should refer to Pokemon with short feathers (Taillow, Pidgey), leaves (Oddish, Sunflora), and amorphous bodies (Ditto, Grimer) for shading references. For the colors, I usually stick to those from existing Pokemon sprites.

edit: Here are a few Pokemon with color palettes that fit your sprites.

182.png
386.png
442_1.png
245.png
298.png
336.png
019.png
168.png

Last edited:

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Ok ok, I followed your tutorial, and made a Grayscale Pixel Over of a Lugia. (That I have permission to use, no worries)

How does this look?
lol.bmp

Keep in mind this is my first ever pixel over...
What do ya think?
This is NOT a battle sprite BTW... it's use is of no concern... >_>

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Heh, the combination of gray and hung head/wings makes it look depressed. It's good! If the dark lines on the "fingers" and leg weren't so apparent, I wouldn't even have realized it was pixel art!

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Heh, the combination of gray and hung head/wings makes it look depressed. It's good! If the dark lines on the "fingers" and leg weren't so apparent, I wouldn't even have realized it was pixel art!

Is that a good thing? LOL, I ask this cause I am pretty self conscious of my art... even if it IS a pixel over of another persons drawing...
(LOL, should have added credits to Silverwing in the last post, he owns a site, Lugias-Island.net, He told me to give creds so yeah.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
In this instance, not looking like pixel art is a good thing... the subdued colors look more natural than pixel are usually does... but that doesn't mean that the dark pixels on the leg and wings are a bad thing. It's perfect just the way it is.

...My month-old thread has almost as many views as this board's rules, which have been up for a year and a half... that's just sad.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
In this instance, not looking like pixel art is a good thing... the subdued colors look more natural than pixel are usually does... but that doesn't mean that the dark pixels on the leg and wings are a bad thing. It's perfect just the way it is.

...My month-old thread has almost as many views as this board's rules, which have been up for a year and a half... that's just sad.

KK, cool cool.

Thanks for that info man, keep up the great work, the tutorials are really helping.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Tunaboy88, that needs quite a bit of work. You should smooth out the rough shapes you draw before worrying about color.

SytheXP, that's the next major tutorial I intend to do, probably on Wednesday. Are there any particular points you would like me to touch on, outside of the step-by-step?

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
Years
My main problem is doing hair on backsprites as for the bodies what I do atm is take one thats already made, white it out change stuff to match my front sprites/ow's then reshade it with pallete from my front sprite. But thank you so very much lol. I look forward to reading that portion and getting your advice. =]

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Ah... As you may have read in one of my tutorials, it's pretty hard to give advice on hair, as hairstyles vary so much. I guess you should take the head from your front sprite, mirror it, then replace features visible from the front of the head (bangs, forehead) with whatever you think the back of the head should look like. Using that as a reference, draw a larger version on the back sprite.

Years
i guess the last post i put up didnt go thru but....
i tryin to make sprite of reall people like my friends and famous people
for example if i were to take a picture of malcom x what would be the best way to do that?

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
noz mc spooky, if you would bother to look for your original post (it's ONE PAGE back, and there's only been one post on this page!), you would see that I've already responded.

Seadiga, you should give all of your sprite's body parts a more natural shape before worrying about coloring them... and remember, their heads should be oriented on where the player's character will be, not on the player themselves.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
I believe I could give a little help on hair...
Make sure you draw your hair larger than the head of the sprite... I mean... That would look odd having hair that looks like your head is shrunken on top...

Back