• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: GBA Intro Manager

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 1, 2021
I found all the offsets for BPEI and added it in the .ini in the [BPEI][/BPEI] section, but the tool says the rom is still not supported. If I put the offsets in the [BPEE][/BPEE] and edit the rom at 0xAC offset and I put BPEE the tool loads the rom with no problems.

Years
Hello!

I'm a greenhorn in this hacking stuff.

I'm currently looking for a solution for my version of Emerald.

I would like to use the Intro Manager to select the gender and name automatically, to "GIRL" and "MAY", respectively.

I'm using Emerald, BTW. Anyone there could fill me in the details of how to?

Narwhal

Meme Lord
Years
Hello!

I would like to use the Intro Manager to select the gender and name automatically, to "GIRL" and "MAY", respectively.

From what I know this program can't do that. Not really sure because i havent used it enough. There are tutorials on here to do what you want specifically though.

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
I found all the offsets for BPEI and added it in the .ini in the [BPEI][/BPEI] section, but the tool says the rom is still not supported. If I put the offsets in the [BPEE][/BPEE] and edit the rom at 0xAC offset and I put BPEE the tool loads the rom with no problems.
Wow my bad, apparently when I wrote this I didn't realize anyone would go through the effort of adding more versions to it, so I hardcoded checks for the English versions. I've since switched it to check through the INI and load anything that it finds in there, so you should redownload it from the first post. Could you send me the complete entry you added to the INI so I could add it to the global one as well?
Hello!

This program can skip gender selection and force you to be male, but not female. Thankfully, gender is cosmetic here so you can just put all your assets on the male character instead. I don't have anything in place to skip your own naming though.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 1, 2021
Wow my bad, apparently when I wrote this I didn't realize anyone would go through the effort of adding more versions to it, so I hardcoded checks for the English versions. I've since switched it to check through the INI and load anything that it finds in there, so you should redownload it from the first post. Could you send me the complete entry you added to the INI so I could add it to the global one as well?

You're welcome ;)

Code:
[BPEI]
GameName=Pok?mon Smeraldo
GameType=E
ItemData=0x58000C
NumberOfItems=376
PokemonNames=0x317F8C
NumberOfPokemon=411
StartingPosition=0x84468
IntroPokemonNumber1=0x31928
IntroPokemonNumber2=0x30B10
IntroPokemonPicture=0x130BB0
StartingPCItem=0x5DCA48
StartingMoney=0x845D0
TitlescreenMusic=0xAAAFC
ProfessorMusic=0x30876
SkipGender1=0x30DC8
SkipGenderTester=0x30FD9
SkipGenderOriginal=0x30DCD
SkipGender2=0x31220
SkipGender3=0x12FACE
SkipGender4=0x12FBBA
TruckRemovedAddr=0x86011
TruckRemovedTester=0xFB14C
UnlockedTester=0x8447F
[/BPEI]

Years

This program can skip gender selection and force you to be male, but not female. Thankfully, gender is cosmetic here so you can just put all your assets on the male character instead. I don't have anything in place to skip your own naming though.

Ah, I see.

I would like to inform, though, that I found a very weird way to make it force you to play as female. Turns out that, in case you have a previously saved file with the female chosen, then you use the program to "Skip the Gender Choice", the game will force you to use female instead of male (if you go for New Game again, that is).
This is, however, not enough for me, as effective it may seem... BRENDAN's sprite is still shown when he asks if you're a boy or a girl, which is not acceptable.

Regarding the cosmetic part, I think it's an interesting option. But seeing that, to some extent, the Intro Manager can help, I might try to go deeper into what it can do.

This soul thanks you.

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
You're welcome ;)

Code:
[BPEI]
GameName=Pok?mon Smeraldo
GameType=E
ItemData=0x58000C
NumberOfItems=376
PokemonNames=0x317F8C
NumberOfPokemon=411
StartingPosition=0x84468
IntroPokemonNumber1=0x31928
IntroPokemonNumber2=0x30B10
IntroPokemonPicture=0x130BB0
StartingPCItem=0x5DCA48
StartingMoney=0x845D0
TitlescreenMusic=0xAAAFC
ProfessorMusic=0x30876
SkipGender1=0x30DC8
SkipGenderTester=0x30FD9
SkipGenderOriginal=0x30DCD
SkipGender2=0x31220
SkipGender3=0x12FACE
SkipGender4=0x12FBBA
TruckRemovedAddr=0x86011
TruckRemovedTester=0xFB14C
UnlockedTester=0x8447F
[/BPEI]
Thanks, but I'm actually not going to add it into the INI file, simply because I just realized I can't confirm my program won't break foreign ROMs (yeah, it's not programmed well, sorry).
Ah, I see.

I would like to inform, though, that I found a very weird way to make it force you to play as female. Turns out that, in case you have a previously saved file with the female chosen, then you use the program to "Skip the Gender Choice", the game will force you to use female instead of male (if you go for New Game again, that is).
This is, however, not enough for me, as effective it may seem... BRENDAN's sprite is still shown when he asks if you're a boy or a girl, which is not acceptable.

Regarding the cosmetic part, I think it's an interesting option. But seeing that, to some extent, the Intro Manager can help, I might try to go deeper into what it can do.

This soul thanks you.
That would be because instead of writing male or female as the gender, it simply leaves the value as whatever it was before. Usually, this is zero (male) by default, but if you have a save file saved as female already, then it'll stay female. I'll fix that sometime in the future.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 1, 2021
Thanks, but I'm actually not going to add it into the INI file, simply because I just realized I can't confirm my program won't break foreign ROMs (yeah, it's not programmed well, sorry).

Not a problem, I already posted those offset on an italian forum, so if anybody needs them, they are here and there.

Go work on AME! :P

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 23, 2018
When i use thi Programm my game starts to completly glitch out.
The settings are completly wierd when i try to open any ROM.
Like Titlescreen Pokemon Cry is always "AERODACT"
and Professor Intro Pokemon is always "MURKROW"
Secs on Title is set to "31326434"
And all the other settings are wierd too.
The selection Tabs are also really wierd, only wierd Letters.
When i save a ROM after that, and i want to go to the Titlescreen it sets the game back to the Intro all the time.
Does someone know what is wrong there?
Or is there another programm i can use?

LuigiHatKid

What's the title for someone who just kinda wings
Years
  • Age 24
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Yo I just started experiencing this too.

I've been reading through the thread and it seems the version 1695 of the Fire Red ROM doesn't work with this, which mine is. Check yours, this could be the issue.

I'm not really sure what to do about it though because I really don't want to go back and do everything else I've done all over again.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
After a clean restart and no programs open:

"Could not open the ROM. Check to see if it is open in another program.

The process cannot access the file 'Y:\Files\ROMs\thetower.gba' because it is being used by another process."

I'm boggled because besides parallels (i'm on a mac) this is the only program open. Any help please?

EDIT: nvm, i had advanceedit open the whole time. i was just smoking the marajawanaz too much XD

DOUBLE EDIT: any tool to edit the text or view the script? the rom base i used basically turned it into an advertisement for its website

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 12, 2021
I have an ask how i find the right Headers out of SkipGender and RemovingRivalNaming on Firered German version or others? I find somee but it breaks the game it reset the game before GenderChoose comes up but i didnt check the checkbox of SkipGender while i change the ProfOakIntroMusic whatever on other lang of firered instead English/Usa version.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 30, 2019
hey,
i have a problem.
I am quite new at hacking and i cant load any of my gen3 roms. It always says:
Unsupported ROM loaded. Please load a 3rd generation pokemon game with an existing file in the INI entry.
can anyone leave a link to such a rom or a kind of tutorial? please? .c

Years
Thanks, man.[or woman... or... umm... biman? whatever!] And thanks for the whole no gender switch to male thing. Now I can make an actual remake of pokemon red. Or just make Leaf an unplayable rival which I pretty much did both. Now all I need is a WORKING text editor [advance text "can't work" because I "Don't have the comctl or cpmdlg files" which I DO HAVE right next to the exe file to open it

Zankew

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
Years
Hey dude after using this tool my game is not opening. By that I mean that after that intro fight, the game is just restarting the fight and its just going on like a loop. I do have a backup but the real copy had a few more things, but thats offtopic. just exactly what to do right now?

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
Years
Sierra, bless you for writing it in C#.. ☺️ C#'s my jam! I'm looking over the source code RIGHT NOW..

Thank you for this tool 😄

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 20, 2024
Does anyone know of a tool that makes it possible to edit the entire intro where the professor asks for the trainers gender and name?
What I mean exactly, is changing the professor's sprite and editing the text dialog.

Back