• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How do you guys take so long to beat these games? haha

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 4, 2017
I've been playing Pokemon forever and just recently got a 3DS to play it and other games for it. I still had Pokemon Y from when I had a 2DS, so I popped it in and started playing. I got my 3DS on monday and have been leisurely playing ever since. I just beat it (credits and everything) and it says my total game time is 17:11.

I've seen people saying they got to the second gym after 8 HOURS, and HLTB says it's 32 hours long!

Do you know what takes people so long? Seriously, I wasn't speedrunning.

Even if the in-game counter is unreliable, I mostly played it at school and in free time over the past week, I definitely didn't play 32 or more hours.

Years
Sometimes people take longer because they look for everything that is to be found, or sometimes they do other activities such as trading and battling.

pkmin3033

Everyone plays video games at their own pace. Some people like to explore areas, and grind out levels before they face the next Gym, or talk to every NPC to see if they give them anything, or try and complete their Pokedex as they go. It can take a lot of time to finish any game if you explore everything that game has to offer.

Years
some people love to explore the region. i do take long time to finish the game, i could finish the game early if i want to. but, i want to explore the game instead just clearing the game straight. i got the pleasure of playing the games because of i enjoy to explore the region. what pokemon to encounter, the NPCs, grinding levels while trying to find the best team. i love the story on sun moon, black-white, and that's why i don't want to end the story sooner. people have different opinion after all.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Because I leave it on next to my laptop and do everything but play the game. Browse the internet, watch videos, etc. Sometimes right in the middle of battles too.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Personally I tend to like to not rush through games, as I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of a game if I've spent a lot of time with it rather than a shorter amount of time. Could probably complete a Pokemon game in 20 or less hours if I wanted to, but that's the thing, I tend to not want to.

Years
Yeah I never seem to rush when playing through Pokemon games but I'm not that slow either. I tend to explore areas and talk to NPCs, but some people do spend time doing other things, like battling, trading etc and tend to grind a whole lot.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
I talk to everyone, do all the side quests, get every item, explore every building... It takes 50 hours to beat a gen 6 game for me xD

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Do be honest, playing X took me months just because I kept growing bored with it or got lost and had to remind myself to play it haha. I didn't much enjoy the Kalos region or the games overall. I should go back and replay it though, and see if it's slightly better for me when I'm not feeling as lost c:

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
When I play a game I like exploring areas, talking to NPCs and maybe completing some side quests while I also go forward in the actual story.

For example: aside from the time it took me to find the right route when I got lost, it took me 25ish hours to beat Pokèmon Sun while my brother has beaten the game in 18 hours.
The difference is that when I completed the game I had 25% percent of the Pokédex while my brother had only 17%.

So yeah, what Meyneth said is very true.
Everyone has their pace when it comes to playing video games and personally I think that rushing a game is not that great because it prevents you from experiencing it at its fullness.

blue

gucci
Years
With every new game, I like to take it slow and visit every possible new area talking to all the NPCs available. ORAS took me slightly longer to completed mainly because of how much I love exploring Hoenn.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
Not to mention since the addition of Wi-Fi features to the game, a lot of people do online trades and battling. I've often spent more time trading and battling online in previous gens than caring at all about the story.

As well as that, there's other external factors to consider. Where once young gamers may marathon their Pokémon quest, a lot of us have grown up and gained responsibilities. We've got to play in a measurement of hours rather than spend an evening blitzing all the gyms. And, at least in my experience, such a broken-up way of playing sees me taking longer to find out what I have to do next to proceed further in the game, since it's potentially a few days since I last played it.

Years
I enjoy level grinding and taking the challenge of collecting all the pokemon in every area before moving on. Sometimes I'll even go into the wilds to evolve a few for the dex pages. To each his own. I enjoy taking my time with games as I get older. I used to rush through things all the time and then came to find out I missed a whole lot of content, hidden items, and important NPCs. So I go slow now and to me it's rewarding. You bought the game so you might as well make the most of it. That's my philosophy anyways, especially with the way money is today. I dont go out and buy new games anymore. I just replay old games now and thats fine by me.

Back