• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unprompted advice

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Unprompted advice.

Imagine someone's just given you some advice which you didn't ask for, but which is relevant to you. It could be about anything - from some work you're having trouble with to relationship advice, health advice, social advice, whatever. How do you react? Are you offended? Grateful? How likely are you to take the advice, even though you never said you wanted it to be given to you? Why? Will you consider this advice in the same way that you'd consider any other advice?

Last edited:
Years
Well this happens to me a bit. The advice is generally about social, because being shy I don't talk much. I simply agree with the comments, because I know they're true. Secretly I'm grateful, because most of them aren't the thing you'd ask.
Slowly, I've been taking the advise, and the comments lessen.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
People generally don't do that to me, aside from dumb stuff (i.e. telling me that I need to eat more). If someone did, though, my reaction would depend on what the advice is about. If it's something that's relatively obvious (like my being unsocial), then I might consider using it, depending on who is telling me. Generally, if the one giving advice is younger, I wouldn't bother. There are a few exceptions, though.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
I dislike when people get upset over this type of thing, unless the person was being condescending or something. Sometimes the best advice comes from where you aren't expecting, and I think it's foolish to turn any help away. I usually just thank the person, put it in the back of my mind and move on.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
I'd politely thank them and then not follow their advice. I wouldn't be offended, even if they gave me unwarranted advice condescendingly. It's not my place to humiliate. Instead I'd follow my own advice to not behave like them.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
People do this to me often since I have a tendency to step outside my boundaries. That's okay though, we're all different. But yeah.

I don't really mind it, I'd rather people tell me I'm doing something wrong than keep doing it wrong. I'm surprised that people hate it so much.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I appreciate knowledge and take what is said at face value because that's all that could really matter. Whether or not I'm already aware of what the advice suggests, I would be grateful that someone took the care to mention a potentially alternative way about whatever.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
It depends on my own confidence towards what they're giving me advice for. When I'm very unconfident towards it, like when I started to drive, I accepted any and all advice and it was helpful and I liked it. But once I started to gain skill and was an average driver, advice tended more to break down my confidence as a driver than help me because it felt like I must be a lot worse than everyone else on the road if I have to be constantly corrected while everyone else is fine. Then when I'm very confident about something, I tend to not be bothered by advice really but I won't take it without question; I'll compare it to what I already know about the subject.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
usually i roll my eyes and throw them a sarcastic thank you. i hate it when people give me advice that i haven't asked for. if i was interested in what they thought i should do, then i would have asked them.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I'll brush it off at the moment and then think it over until I die but never actually take it because I'm far too stubborn to take unwanted advice and it'd make me feel like I got the last laugh.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I don't mind it at all, except when it's malicious or more than condescending. An example would be "___ is a great workout for abs at the gym. Really helps tone if you're up for it!" is fine, instead of "you should do __ at the gym to get rid of that massive hippo belly you have."
Stuff like that..

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I don't really see why anybody would be offended. Even if you didn't solicit the advice, having somebody care enough about your problem to try and help you through it is incredibly sweet, I think.

I'd take the advice the same way I take any other advice - if I agree with it and think it's good advice I'll follow it, if I don't I won't.

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
Giving and Receiving Advice:
There are many in the world who are eager to give advice. There are few who feel glad to be given advice. And there are still fewer who follow the given advice.
No one will try to admonish you when you grow older than thirty. Consequently, you will grow more willful due to lack of warning. The result is that you repeat wrongdoings and you add to your folly throughout the rest of your life. Then you go to do no good. So take every opportunity to get familiar with the 'way knowing' people and learn lessons from them.

This is a quote from the English translated Hagakura.

It speaks for itself and I decided to share this with you all.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I'd be indifferent, I don't mind if someone thought I needed advice on something. I wouldn't be offended either because they could have had good intentions and if they didn't then it wouldn't be worth it, and I'd decide for myself if I'd want to follow it or not.

Years
This is a quote from the English translated Hagakura.

It speaks for itself and I decided to share this with you all.

OK MAN I WILL LISTEN TO YOU WHEN YOU GIVE ME ADVICE OK!?!

No more cracking the egg directly onto the frying pan and making a mess everywhere I HAVE LEARNT MY LESSON V_V

I try to be open minded and willing to listen to advice but recently I think I became a bit too arrogant for my liking and closed up a bit. I think Renpuu has helped steer me back in the right direction though. But yeah, as long as the advice seems reasonable to me, I'd be likely to take it on board.

Years
People want to help me? I'm okay with that. It's cool they'd want to help without me asking for it (and I'll be honest, I hardly ever do).

If it's good advice, I'll probably try to follow it. If it's not, then I'll just thank them and think they're weird/wrong and be on my way. No need to be all offended or mad over it. It's just an opinion, after all.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Imagine someone's just given you some advice which you didn't ask for, but which is relevant to you. It could be about anything - from some work you're having trouble with to relationship advice, health advice, social advice, whatever. How do you react? Are you offended? Grateful? How likely are you to take the advice, even though you never said you wanted it to be given to you? Why? Will you consider this advice in the same way that you'd consider any other advice?

I'll probably just accept it, since normally it's about being shy, which I'm getting over with, so doesn't happen all too often

Back