The PokéCommunity Forums General Pokémon Discussions Pokémon Anime
Pokemon Sun and Moon Ratings

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Old December 6th, 2016 (4:50 AM). Edited December 6th, 2016 by CidHazard.
just a miserable pile of secrets

Nature: Careful
    I wonder if anyone still cares... I did join the site just to throw my hat in to a thread discussing the ratings.

Looks like the ratings for the 1 hour special is out.

Pokemon Sun and Moon just edges out both Precure and Yokai watch. At an average household rating of 3.8.

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-01/japan-animation-tv-ranking-november-21-27/.109394
    Old December 6th, 2016 (7:31 AM).
    Fighting a bigger fight

What will make the SM anime is if Island Trials are their own thing, or just a renamed Gym Battle. If they're their own thing, good word of mouth will bring ratings up, whereas a rehash of previous sagas will keep ratings as they are, if not worse.

Anyway, I'm not too concerned about ratings just yet, as it's only the start . I dislike people building a case against SM saying ratings have dropped, XY had ratings of 2.0 at some points after starting at 5.0 or so. I'll try and find the relevant sources for this.

Besides, more and more people watch it online through streams and stuff.

Have I given enough excuses yet? xD But I think SM will find it's stride soon enough.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6300-2045-4545
      Old December 6th, 2016 (7:47 AM).

Nature: Quirky
      Wait... first two SM episodes actually beat Yo-Kai Watch in the ratings?

Looks like the drastic format change must be paying off. I admit the school idea kinda pissed me at first because it screamed "Ash regressing back to a noob" but at least we know it won't be forever. Now I want to see how much the ratings go from here.

http://daikenkki.tumblr.com/
      Old December 6th, 2016 (8:48 AM).
      Fighting a bigger fight

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Hikamaru View Post
        Wait... first two SM episodes actually beat Yo-Kai Watch in the ratings?

Looks like the drastic format change must be paying off. I admit the school idea kinda pissed me at first because it screamed "Ash regressing back to a noob" but at least we know it won't be forever. Now I want to see how much the ratings go from here.
        I thought this didn't really matter since YW airs on Friday, not Thursday but I still checked a random XY viewer rating (more specifically the 2.0 rating I posted above) to compare it against.

Link

Was surprised when I realized this was the episode between Ash vs Sawyer and Ash vs Alain. This could have been making history in the Pokemon franchise and it only just makes top ten?

Maybe Japan didn't care for a serious saga, whereas the Western world did. But it was still surprising to see.
        Old December 6th, 2016 (8:53 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Frozocrone View Post
        Maybe Japan didn't care for a serious saga, whereas the Western world did. But it was still surprising to see.
        It's very surprising how the more serious-toned XY series was received well internationally, but literally unloved in Japan. But SM drastically changed the formula and it appears to be well-received in Japan, but future ratings figures will tell if this new format is truly successful with the Japanese audience.

Old December 6th, 2016 (9:18 AM).

Quote:
          Besides, more and more people watch it online through streams and stuff.
          Very true, the first two dub episodes were uploaded on Youtube two weeks before they aired on Disney XD. And of course the first few Japanese episodes are already up to view.

The real ratings test will be when the series is a few episodes deep here and the newness/novelty is gone.
          Old December 6th, 2016 (10:40 AM).
          Vampire Waifu

Quote:
            If that were the case, then JoJo and DB Super would've stopped completely and AoT wouldn't be getting its second season. A lot of the most popular anime are shounen series with serious stories, so it can't be the cause of XY's low ratings.

BTW, I wonder what happened to "him." Was he finally banned from this subforum?
            Old December 6th, 2016 (11:15 AM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
            If that were the case, then JoJo and DB Super would've stopped completely and AoT wouldn't be getting its second season. A lot of the most popular anime are shounen series with serious stories, so it can't be the cause of XY's low ratings.

BTW, I wonder what happened to "him." Was he finally banned from this subforum?
            Okay, so maybe that wasn't what influenced XY's bad ratings. I guess the Japanese audience were so tired of the Pokemon anime format, so SM changing things on an extreme scale must have resonated well.

As for that one guy, maybe he flat out decided to leave forever...

Old December 6th, 2016 (7:02 PM).

I'm more surprised that Pokemon SuMo beat Precure in ratings, as the precure series is one of the most popular Mahou Shoujo / Anime Otaku shows in japan...

The whole Yokai watch vs Pokemon thing is settled anyway. With Yokai watch, being a fad more than anything else (Toy sales are on an all time low http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-09-07/is-japan-fascination-with-yo-kai-watch-over/.92487). With only the video game making it relevant in japan anyway, the latest game didn't even break 500k in America, worst case it won't get localized anymore.

Still it could be just because it's a new show. Also remember that this only counts the views from the Kanto Region which doesn't really show how well a show is doing, Hokkaido, Tohoku, Chubu, Kinki, Chugoku, Shikoku, and Kyushu-Okinawa does exist after all. if they did then more animated shows, aimed for the whole family will be on top... there is a reason that Sazea-san, Doreamon, Shin-chan, Conan, and maruko-chan had been going on for literally decades now.

Unless your the shows I mentioned above and your a Japanese Anime, you're going to have to focus on Merch sales nowadays...
              Old December 6th, 2016 (11:46 PM).
              Fictional Writer.

Nature: Quiet
                It is good to the that the anime is liked in Japan right now. I still think it is driven the Merch sells which I am pretty sure Pokemon has probably outranked Yokai in a huge way this year mainly. Especially in America. The creators themselves said that Yokai didn't do what they wanted in the Merch area, but the show did really well. Hell they are still continuing Naruto even though the main storyline of Shippuden is over and they aren't even selling Merch. I think Pokemon will be just fine until at the very least 10th Generation comes around.

And the people who seem to be given Sun and Moon anime a chance have really liked it as well. I for one still can't get into Yokai.

Now Disney just needs to find the perfect time slot, which I think would be around 7pm Eastern on a Saturday.

As for him, I did tell him to leave and never come back :P But I was wondering the same thing honestly.
                Old December 7th, 2016 (1:09 PM).

I haven't been watching the show regularly since early Johto but It's nice to see that the Sun and Moon improving the series' ratings. I think Yokai Watch's popularity is slowing down in Japan because Yokai Watch 3 didn't sell as well as past games including Busters(which is a spin off title). So I'm getting an impression that Yokai Watch's possible decline is helping with Sun and Moon's ratings.

However, I think we have to still wait a couple of weeks until we are sure that this season will keep it's ratings a float. Judging what I've seen about ratings in the past, kids generally watch a new series for a couple of episodes then ditch it if it bores them. If memory serves me right that happen to X and Y but then again, I think Yokai Watch came out soon after and stole it's thunder over time.
                  Old December 7th, 2016 (5:34 PM).

It appears that Sun & Moon is seeing Pokemon get back onto its feet thanks to Yo-Kai Watch being confirmed as just a fad and its latest game flopping sales-wise. When Yo-Kai Watch first blew up in popularity, it was around the time XY's Korrina arc aired, and was to blame for the Kalos saga's disastrous ratings.

Old December 8th, 2016 (6:05 PM).
                  Fighting a bigger fight

Ratings are up for SM005.

Still hanging in there. Dropped to 3.6 in ratings, but interestingly, Yokai Watch is nowhere to be seen in the top ten.

Old December 10th, 2016 (2:51 PM).
                    Vampire Waifu

This video by Saberspark has me concerned about how the SM anime will perform at Disney XD, because according to the video, both Gravity Falls and Wonder Over Yonder's viewership ratings plummeted when they were moved from the Disney Channel onto Disney XD.
                      Old December 12th, 2016 (7:25 AM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
                        This video by Saberspark has me concerned about how the SM anime will perform at Disney XD, because according to the video, both Gravity Falls and Wonder Over Yonder's viewership ratings plummeted when they were moved from the Disney Channel onto Disney XD.
                        Is Cartoon network a premium channel?

The reason for the drop in ratings of both those shows, is because they moved from a public to a premium channel. The shows where probably moved to boost Disney XD's ratings, but only led to them dropping in ratings, which led to the cancellation of Wonder over Yonder.
                        Old December 12th, 2016 (5:20 PM).
                        Vampire Waifu

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by CidHazard View Post
                          Is Cartoon network a premium channel?

The reason for the drop in ratings of both those shows, is because they moved from a public to a premium channel. The shows where probably moved to boost Disney XD's ratings, but only led to them dropping in ratings, which led to the cancellation of Wonder over Yonder.
                          The HD version of CN is a premium channel (the non-HD version isn't).
                          Old December 13th, 2016 (3:15 AM). Edited December 15th, 2016 by Frozocrone.
                          Fighting a bigger fight

Quote:
                            Ratings are up for SM005.

Still hanging in there. Dropped to 3.6 in ratings, but interestingly, Yokai Watch is nowhere to be seen in the top ten.
                            Would like to amend this, I hadn't realised that Yokai Watch didn't air during that week.

Just waiting for SM006 ratings now...

EDIT: SM006 Ratings have appeared.

Putting aside my surprise about One Piece dropping over 1m, Pokémon SM climbed up to 3.9 in ratings. Yokai Watch didn't make the top ten.

Early days still, but looking good so far for SM.
                            Old December 19th, 2016 (5:42 AM).

Looks like Yokai Watch is still kicking... in japan anyway. Tanking 1st in the box office over Star wars Rogue one.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-19/3rd-yo-kai-watch-film-tops-japanese-box-office-beats-rogue-one/.110098
                              Old December 21st, 2016 (8:03 PM).
                              Vampire Waifu

Quote:
                                Looks like Yokai Watch is still kicking... in japan anyway. Tanking 1st in the box office over Star wars Rogue one.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-19/3rd-yo-kai-watch-film-tops-japanese-box-office-beats-rogue-one/.110098
                                And on the side of games, Yo-Kai Watch 3 is dethroned Sun and Moon in Japan's sales chart. And any news on Episode 7's ratings?
                                Old December 22nd, 2016 (1:59 PM). Edited December 22nd, 2016 by Frozocrone.
                                Fighting a bigger fight

Out later than usual. Weird. Although I'm normally wide awake when they're out, not going to bed.

SM007 Ratings are up

3.7 this time round.

Yokai-Watch losing to Shaun the Sheep, what even is life. Although this might stem into Inaho and USApyon not being big hits and the games being delayed.

Old December 23rd, 2016 (1:02 AM).

Japan loves their silly gag humor shows... that's why Shin-Chan is so popular :D
                                    Old December 30th, 2016 (12:24 AM).
                                    Fighting a bigger fight

Hi hi yes we have SM 008 Ratings now.

Muh anime being outperformed by Yokai Watch and Shaun the Sheep.

I don't get a sense of doom and gloom though. Sort of like SM have been hovering around that point so it was always a possibility of dropping out the top ten.
                                      Old December 30th, 2016 (3:47 AM).

Figured Yo-Kai and Shaun was going to outrank again. Seeing Pokemon lose to the latter show of all things makes me know this saga seems to not be getting the target audience back like it first seemed to promise.

Old December 30th, 2016 (4:15 PM).

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Hikamaru View Post
                                        Figured Yo-Kai and Shaun was going to outrank again. Seeing Pokemon lose to the latter show of all things makes me know this saga seems to not be getting the target audience back like it first seemed to promise.
                                        The new list is from 19-25 and Pokemon is on break that week, just like how Yo-kai watch was on break the week before that.
                                        Old December 30th, 2016 (4:19 PM).
                                        Fighting a bigger fight

Quote:
                                          The new list is from 19-25 and Pokemon is on break that week, just like how Yo-kai watch was on break the week before that.
                                          SM008 aired on the 22nd.

Quick Reply