The PokéCommunity Forums General Pokémon Discussions Pokémon Anime
THUNDER ARMOR!

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old December 18th, 2017 (11:13 PM).
kyuubi93's Avatar
kyuubi93 kyuubi93 is offline
What a bother
     
    Join Date: Aug 2014
    Age: 25
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Calm
    Posts: 213
    What are some of your guys favorite nonsensical things that have happened in the anime? Quite obviously, the anime is quite infamous for the amount of mistakes, blunders and straight up bull crap (like thunder armor). What are some of your favorites?
    __________________

    You serious, bruh?
    Reply With Quote
      #2    
    Old December 18th, 2017 (11:23 PM).
    Alexander18 Alexander18 is offline
    Banned
       
      Join Date: Jun 2017
      Location: NZ
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Lonely
      Posts: 1,393
      Pikachu beating Brock's Onix. Does not matter that water was on Onix, there is no excuse for Pikachu beating a rock/ground type with an electric attack.

      I also don't like made up techiques like Thunder Armour.
      Reply With Quote
        #3    
      Old December 20th, 2017 (5:10 PM).
      Kuzehiko's Avatar
      Kuzehiko Kuzehiko is offline
      E4
         
        Join Date: Nov 2017
        Location: Sinnoh
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 152
        Pikachu infusing Electro Ball and Iron Tail.
        Serperior had beaten the shi*t out of Pikachu then all of sudden Pikachu infuses Electro Boll into Iron Tail and defeats Serperior. I've only got one word for that: bullsh*t.
        Reply With Quote
          #4    
        Old December 20th, 2017 (5:42 PM).
        strangerhypno's Avatar
        strangerhypno strangerhypno is offline
           
          Join Date: Jul 2017
          Posts: 2,294
          When Ash only brought Palpitoad to the Elesa gym match in Unova.
          Reply With Quote
            #5    
          Old December 21st, 2017 (10:32 AM). Edited December 21st, 2017 by Alexander18.
          Alexander18 Alexander18 is offline
          Banned
             
            Join Date: Jun 2017
            Location: NZ
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Lonely
            Posts: 1,393
            There are moments where characters assume the color of a pokemon means it is a certain type. For example Misty thought sentret/furret was a Ground type in one episode.

            What?!
            Reply With Quote
              #6    
            Old December 21st, 2017 (12:04 PM).
            LilyGardy's Avatar
            LilyGardy LilyGardy is offline
            Lilligant Trainer
               
              Join Date: Jul 2015
              Location: Celadon Gym
              Gender: Female
              Nature: Gentle
              Posts: 4,056
              Whenever Ash says 'What's That?' or something along those lines whenever he sees a Pokemon he has seen before.

              I haven't watched the anime for some time but I vaguely recall him saying 'What's That?' to an Oddish multiple times.
              __________________
              All Battle Tree Super Modes Complete
              Reply With Quote
                #7    
              Old December 22nd, 2017 (12:49 PM).
              jjc927 jjc927 is offline
                 
                Join Date: Aug 2016
                Gender: Male
                Posts: 550
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Alexander18 View Post
                There are moments where characters assume the color of a pokemon means it is a certain type. For example Misty thought sentret/furret was a Ground type in one episode.
                What?!
                She also thought Oddish was a water Pokémon because it just happened to be standing near water in the episode that Ash catches Bulbasaur.
                Reply With Quote
                  #8    
                Old December 22nd, 2017 (1:01 PM).
                Ebontope's Avatar
                Ebontope Ebontope is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Dec 2017
                  Posts: 160
                  Brock using his frying pan as a drying pan.

                  Just that pan isn't going to keep you dry, Brock! Especially when you've already been rained on! It can't even absorb liquid because it's metal!
                  __________________


                  Currently playing: Pokémon Emerald (Trainer Personality Examination Challenge)
                  Reply With Quote
                    #9    
                  Old December 23rd, 2017 (4:30 AM).
                  Absolitetion's Avatar
                  Absolitetion Absolitetion is offline
                  Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
                     
                    Join Date: Feb 2017
                    Location: The Netherlands
                    Age: 23
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Naive
                    Posts: 915
                    Ash in general {XD}
                    __________________
                    Reply With Quote
                      #10    
                    Old December 23rd, 2017 (6:15 PM). Edited December 23rd, 2017 by strangerhypno.
                    strangerhypno's Avatar
                    strangerhypno strangerhypno is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Jul 2017
                      Posts: 2,294
                      Ash-Greninja is a ridiculous form, a mega stand in and is pure fan service, Greninja gets a mega equivalent while Delphox and Chesnaught don't. Make a pokemon popular enough and they get special treatment. I wonder if I convinced all of Japan to become obsessed with Dunsparce, maybe then Dunsparce will get a Mega or some power up of some kind.
                      Reply With Quote
                        #11    
                      Old December 25th, 2017 (5:30 PM).
                      Kuzehiko's Avatar
                      Kuzehiko Kuzehiko is offline
                      E4
                         
                        Join Date: Nov 2017
                        Location: Sinnoh
                        Gender: Male
                        Posts: 152
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by strangerhypno View Post
                        Ash-Greninja is a ridiculous form, a mega stand in and is pure fan service, Greninja gets a mega equivalent while Delphox and Chesnaught don't. Make a pokemon popular enough and they get special treatment. I wonder if I convinced all of Japan to become obsessed with Dunsparce, maybe then Dunsparce will get a Mega or some power up of some kind.
                        I doubt you could.
                        Greninja is the most popular Pokemon in Japan to date and it's all due to the ridiculous Ash-Greninja thing.
                        Reply With Quote
                          #12    
                        Old December 26th, 2017 (7:07 AM).
                        adventure's Avatar
                        adventure adventure is offline
                        press start to play_
                         
                        Join Date: Nov 2007
                        Location: T.A.R.D.I.S.
                        Nature: Naive
                        Posts: 30,741
                        Ash-Greninja was so odd... I never understood why they did that at all.
                        Reply With Quote
                          #13    
                        Old December 26th, 2017 (8:05 AM). Edited December 26th, 2017 by CidHazard.
                        CidHazard's Avatar
                        CidHazard CidHazard is offline
                        just a miserable pile of secrets
                           
                          Join Date: Sep 2016
                          Location: From Parts Unknown
                          Age: 23
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Careful
                          Posts: 573
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Kuzehiko View Post
                          I doubt you could.
                          Greninja is the most popular Pokemon in Japan to date and it's all due to the ridiculous Ash-Greninja thing.
                          I think you've got it backwards... He's the most popular Pokemon in japan, that's why he got the ridiculous form XD

                          There was also a poll on The Escapists site, where they asked people about their favored starter, and Frokie was chosen by 50% of the poll voters. And not to mention that he was already super popular in japan even before the anime.

                          Also, He's a ninja and ninja's are cool... which makes him easier to market to the younger fanbase. He's also notorious for being one of the best sweepers in singles in XY, so he's also popular with the competitive crowd. Even when we disregard the anime, It's easy to see how he rose in popularity.
                          __________________
                          Don't be ashamed of what you love... even if other people find it embarrassing or pathetic embrace it... Love what you love, you'll be happier that way.
                          Reply With Quote
                            #14    
                          Old December 26th, 2017 (11:46 AM).
                          adventure's Avatar
                          adventure adventure is offline
                          press start to play_
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2007
                          Location: T.A.R.D.I.S.
                          Nature: Naive
                          Posts: 30,741
                          Okay that makes more sense haha.
                          Reply With Quote
                            #15    
                          Old December 26th, 2017 (5:48 PM).
                          Kuzehiko's Avatar
                          Kuzehiko Kuzehiko is offline
                          E4
                             
                            Join Date: Nov 2017
                            Location: Sinnoh
                            Gender: Male
                            Posts: 152
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by CidHazard View Post
                            I think you've got it backwards... He's the most popular Pokemon in japan, that's why he got the ridiculous form XD

                            There was also a poll on The Escapists site, where they asked people about their favored starter, and Frokie was chosen by 50% of the poll voters. And not to mention that he was already super popular in japan even before the anime.

                            Also, He's a ninja and ninja's are cool... which makes him easier to market to the younger fanbase. He's also notorious for being one of the best sweepers in singles in XY, so he's also popular with the competitive crowd. Even when we disregard the anime, It's easy to see how he rose in popularity.
                            Makes it worse tbh.
                            I mean its ninja abilities like moving fast, water shuriken, etc are super cool yeah but give him the Ash-Greninja thing only because it's the most popular Pokemon makes it super ridiculous as it contradicts Mega Evolutions themselves and it makes Greninga look so overhyped. It is contrived as heck.

                            I guess voters got what they wanted.
                            Cause of $$$.
                            Reply With Quote
                              #16    
                            Old December 26th, 2017 (7:54 PM).
                            VisionofMilotic's Avatar
                            VisionofMilotic VisionofMilotic is offline
                            Mother of Dragons
                             
                            Join Date: May 2016
                            Location: Sootopolis City
                            Gender: Female
                            Nature: Gentle
                            Posts: 1,977
                            There's lots of em, but Ash's silver conference match against Gary is into the realm where I can't suspend disbelief. The Magmar vs Heracross matchup was one of the least plausible. Heracross was not only ravaged by super-effective fire blasts and flamethrowers but he was literally attacked from out of the sky! Heracross not only tanks all of these devastating attacks, he survives one by just slowly fluttering his wings. What attack is this and why would it allow him to walk through fire unscatched?

                            The battles just gets increasingly over-the-top. Its hard to believe that
                            Ash's Charizard could overcome Blastoise. Blastoise not only had the clear type advantage but likely was at a very high level due to the duration of time that he was with Gary-- this was his starter Pokemon. Charizard would also not be at full strength because he had fought multiple battles by this point without resting, including against Gary's Golem, whom he is 4× weak to.

                            I know that this is a really popular episode, and it is very exciting. But at the same time I think some of the drama does descend into the theater of the absurd.
                            __________________
                            I got Haxorus on "What Dragon-Type Pokemon are you?" https://quotev.com/quiz/5077163



                            Name: Narcissus
                            Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
                            Reply With Quote
                              #17    
                            Old December 26th, 2017 (8:01 PM).
                            strangerhypno's Avatar
                            strangerhypno strangerhypno is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Jul 2017
                              Posts: 2,294
                              Yeah the Charizard portion was weird as well, Charizard soloing half of Gary's team? Ash needs to drop all of his pokemon off at the Charicific Valley if Charizard got that strong.

                              Heracross is a beast tho, that's why he took out Magmar no problem
                              Reply With Quote
                                #18    
                              Old December 28th, 2017 (10:58 AM). Edited December 28th, 2017 by Alexander18.
                              Alexander18 Alexander18 is offline
                              Banned
                                 
                                Join Date: Jun 2017
                                Location: NZ
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Lonely
                                Posts: 1,393
                                Pikachu defeating two pseudo legendaries of Alain's team. I am sorry but that was just bad writing and wasn't suppose to happen.
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #19    
                                Old December 28th, 2017 (11:58 AM).
                                mew_nani's Avatar
                                mew_nani mew_nani is offline
                                Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
                                   
                                  Join Date: Jan 2010
                                  Location: Far Lands
                                  Gender: Female
                                  Nature: Brave
                                  Posts: 1,839
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Alexander18 View Post
                                  Pikachu defeating two pseudo legendaries of Alain's team. I am sorry but that was just bad writing and wasn't suppose to happen.
                                  How's it bad writing? That thing is the most trained Pokemon Ash has; I'm honestly surprised it doesn't sweep gyms on its own.
                                  __________________

                                  I support:

                                  R.I.P Isaac J. Southerland Jr.
                                  1946 - 2017
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #20    
                                  Old December 28th, 2017 (3:16 PM).
                                  Alexander18 Alexander18 is offline
                                  Banned
                                     
                                    Join Date: Jun 2017
                                    Location: NZ
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Lonely
                                    Posts: 1,393
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by mew_nani View Post
                                    How's it bad writing? That thing is the most trained Pokemon Ash has; I'm honestly surprised it doesn't sweep gyms on its own.
                                    Defeating one maybe. Defeating two is just a cheap way of rushing the battles. Pseudo legendaries are suppose to be strong.
                                    Reply With Quote
                                      #21    
                                    Old December 28th, 2017 (10:46 PM).
                                    CidHazard's Avatar
                                    CidHazard CidHazard is offline
                                    just a miserable pile of secrets
                                       
                                      Join Date: Sep 2016
                                      Location: From Parts Unknown
                                      Age: 23
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Nature: Careful
                                      Posts: 573
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Kuzehiko View Post
                                      Makes it worse tbh.
                                      I mean its ninja abilities like moving fast, water shuriken, etc are super cool yeah but give him the Ash-Greninja thing only because it's the most popular Pokemon makes it super ridiculous as it contradicts Mega Evolutions themselves and it makes Greninga look so overhyped. It is contrived as heck.
                                      I don't think it contradicts Mega Evolutions at all, The bond phenomenon doesn't oppose the excistance of Mega evolution niether does it make it look superfluous. In fact it strengthens the Idea of trainers being one with their Pokemon just as Mega's do. Contrived well look at it this way... it's a monster of the week show aimed at kids... the bond thing was bound to happen eventually.
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Kuzehiko View Post
                                      I guess voters got what they wanted.
                                      Cause of $$$.
                                      I doubt the voters expected pokemon pseudo fussion tho XD
                                      __________________
                                      Don't be ashamed of what you love... even if other people find it embarrassing or pathetic embrace it... Love what you love, you'll be happier that way.
                                      Reply With Quote
                                        #22    
                                      Old December 29th, 2017 (3:00 PM). Edited December 29th, 2017 by Kuzehiko.
                                      Kuzehiko's Avatar
                                      Kuzehiko Kuzehiko is offline
                                      E4
                                         
                                        Join Date: Nov 2017
                                        Location: Sinnoh
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Posts: 152
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by CidHazard View Post
                                        I don't think it contradicts Mega Evolutions at all, The bond phenomenon doesn't oppose the excistance of Mega evolution niether does it make it look superfluous. In fact it strengthens the Idea of trainers being one with their Pokemon just as Mega's do. Contrived well look at it this way... it's a monster of the week show aimed at kids... the bond thing was bound to happen eventually.


                                        I doubt the voters expected pokemon pseudo fussion tho XD
                                        It is contrived when you've already got Mega Evolutions on hand. People won't say this because Ash-Greninja was included in Pokemon SM games so you can now ''say'' it is not contrived it but it still sorta does to me. All the bond thing was pure and mere plotdevice so Ash wouldn't keep a strong Mega Pokemon in Oak's lab cause it'd be a burden for the writers in future sagas if Ash keeps such strong Pokemon. That would make Ash win easily next time when he wants to use said Pokemon. The fact they forced to release Greninja and Goordra proves this. They were their XY team's strongest Pokemon. They only include a special transformation for one of Ash's Pokemon that ONLY Ash can access when there's already Mega Evolutions and said transformation only lasts during XY? It is indeed contrived.

                                        I mean that poll was like an experiment.Once they knew Greninja was so damn popular they decided to give him the Ash-Greninja transformation thus Greninja gets more overhyped. Voters didn't obviously expected it but they were satisfied.
                                        Reply With Quote
                                          #23    
                                        Old December 29th, 2017 (9:55 PM).
                                        CidHazard's Avatar
                                        CidHazard CidHazard is offline
                                        just a miserable pile of secrets
                                           
                                          Join Date: Sep 2016
                                          Location: From Parts Unknown
                                          Age: 23
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Nature: Careful
                                          Posts: 573
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Kuzehiko View Post
                                          I mean that poll was like an experiment.Once they knew Greninja was so damn popular they decided to give him the Ash-Greninja transformation thus Greninja gets more overhyped. Voters didn't obviously expected it but they were satisfied.
                                          I think they'd already decided the whole bond/Ash-greninja as a thing even before the popularity contest. The results for the popularity contest was released around June of 2016. Pokemon's XY's second arc (XY: Kalos quest in the internationally) was released in Japan on November 6, 2014, This is the arc where we got the foreshadowing to the Hero of Kalos and the bond phenomenon. And XYZ was released on October 29, 2015 where we finally got Ash Greninja on it's 7th episode.

                                          There was always going to be a bond-thing... The Pokemon that the writing team choose just happened to be Greninja. They never planned on giving Ash a Mega from the beginning, especially since all the Pokemon who got a mega evolution where of an older generation and Ash's main team was an all Kalos in origin.

                                          Now those facts doesn't stop the whole bond thing from being contrived tho... just food for thought XD
                                          __________________
                                          Don't be ashamed of what you love... even if other people find it embarrassing or pathetic embrace it... Love what you love, you'll be happier that way.
                                          Reply With Quote
                                            #24    
                                          Old December 29th, 2017 (10:17 PM).
                                          strangerhypno's Avatar
                                          strangerhypno strangerhypno is offline
                                             
                                            Join Date: Jul 2017
                                            Posts: 2,294
                                            How hard is it to write Ash calling on Heracross, Glalie, Sceptile or Charizard? It's apparent they focus on Greninja cause it's the new hip thing in Japan and brings in a lot of $$$, and that justifies a complete BS fan service form
                                            Reply With Quote
                                              #25    
                                            Old December 30th, 2017 (3:52 AM). Edited December 30th, 2017 by CidHazard.
                                            CidHazard's Avatar
                                            CidHazard CidHazard is offline
                                            just a miserable pile of secrets
                                               
                                              Join Date: Sep 2016
                                              Location: From Parts Unknown
                                              Age: 23
                                              Gender: Male
                                              Nature: Careful
                                              Posts: 573
                                              Oh yeah! I forgot, Ash's Snorlax has six moves during the battle frontier... those moves where protect , headbutt , ice punch , hyper beam , rest , body slam.
                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by strangerhypno View Post
                                              How hard is it to write Ash calling on Heracross, Glalie, Sceptile or Charizard?
                                              Maybe it's because Heracross, Glalie, Sceptile and both Charizard's mega forms already appeared in the show, owned by rival trainers. If Greninjas arc is any indication, and as I stated in the previous post, I believe the whole bond pokemon thing was planned from the beginning. As it was properly foreshadowed in the story.

                                              Really the bond phenomenon thing is kinda like an insanely exaggerated reward from pokemon amie minigame. When you max out your pokemon in Amie, your pokemon will crit more often and will sometimes say that they are perfectly synced with it's trainer. They even get the very anime "I wont fall yet because of friendship" cliche, where a maxed out Amie pokemon can survive a potential KO and stay at 1 hp because of bonds and stuff...
                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by strangerhypno View Post
                                              It's apparent they focus on Greninja cause it's the new hip thing in Japan and brings in a lot of $$$, and that justifies a complete BS fan service form
                                              Yep, Just like Charizard before him he gets special treatment...So Pokemon Company gets loads of merch money as they sell tons of figures, plushies , posters, etc.
                                              __________________
                                              Don't be ashamed of what you love... even if other people find it embarrassing or pathetic embrace it... Love what you love, you'll be happier that way.
                                              Reply With Quote
                                              Reply

                                              Quick Reply

                                              Join the conversation!

                                              Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                              Create a PokéCommunity Account
                                              Thread Tools

                                              Posting Rules
                                              You may not post new threads
                                              You may not post replies
                                              You may not post attachments
                                              You may not edit your posts

                                              BB code is On
                                              Smilies are On
                                              [IMG] code is On
                                              HTML code is Off

                                              Forum Jump


                                              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:48 PM.