• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Friendly Question about merging projects together

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Hi @all,

First of all I'm new to this hole thing.
Several years ago I started romhacking. But I have never started a real project, changed and tried again and again some things.
But now I'm not only interested in "binary hacking" but also in "disassembly".
First, I came across the Yellow Spark hack and found the idea behind it really interesting. Unfortunately, I did not make it somehow to build this rom.
So I tried to take a step back and build Pokeemerald. After some startup difficulties and failed builds I finally got to understand how it works with the nice tutorial from Lunos and was even able to insert the Battel Engine V2, I even managed to change some things.

My question now relates to the incorporation of new things. Just like The unique surfing overworlds.
If I understand the whole thing correctly I can only use the things that are used under this disassembly. That means for me if I use the Battle Engine I can not integrate The unique surfing overworlds from Slawter666.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
My question now relates to the incorporation of new things. Just like The unique surfing overworlds.
If I understand the whole thing correctly I can only use the things that are used under this disassembly. That means for me if I use the Battle Engine I can not integrate The unique surfing overworlds from Slawter666.
That is incorrect. You can perfectly add Slawter666's Unique Surfing OWs to your project, and if any Merge Conflict arises during the process, what you can try to do is to fix them, so you can integrate the functionality into your project.

One way to incorporate his work into your project, is by using the following commands:
Code:
git remote add slawter https://github.com/Slawter666/pokeemerald
git pull slawter surfable

I'll try to explain more or less what these commands do:
-git remote add allows you to link a GitHub repository of your choice and give it a name, so you can pull files from it at will.
-git pull takes the commits and their changes from a specific branch of the repository that you chose, and adds them to your own repository.

Give it a shot, and if you have any problems, come back here and tell us about it. I'm sure the people visiting this part of the forum would be willing to help you.
Good luck!

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Also a quick general note, it is difficult if not impossible to create an exact merging guide to merge a forked repo (such as the battle engine and the surfing project) to the original project (pret pokeemerald). Because for every time the pokeemerald team made a change such as documenting(renaming) a method or variable name and the forked project uses the old one new, merge conflicts arises.

There are a few things you can do:
-Use your best instincts to solve the merge conflicts, this will be the 'hardest' way to solve the merge conflicts but allows you to use the latest pret emerald version
-Wait for the owner to merge his branch with the master branch (Dizzyeggg frequently does this)
-Revert back to the state of the project where the fork was created and use that version

Back