• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Luck-locke challenge

Years
POKEMON FIRE RED LUCKLOCKE: PART 8
Spoiler:

TEAM
Spoiler:

RETIRED
Spoiler:

QUESTION
For my team member, do I have to get it from a new area (Power Plant, Seafoam Islands, etc) or can I go back to an old area (Safari Zone) ? I am okay with either, just trying to plan my team out

Years
POKEMON FIRE RED LUCKLOCKE: FINALE
Spoiler:

TEAM
Spoiler:

RETIRED
Spoiler:

Great Challenge. Plan on signing up with Moon soon, seems like a good excuse to try out a lot of different pokemon whilst I complete that game. Need to get some progress on my ever growing mountain of challenges.

Years
POKEMON MOON LUCKLOCKE: PART 1
Spoiler:

TEAM
Spoiler:

RETIRED
Spoiler:

Years
POKEMON MOON LUCKLOCKE: PART 2
Spoiler:

TEAM
Spoiler:

RETIRED
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
I'm mostly a lurker on here, but this challenge is such a cool idea I had to jump in! I tend to get too bogged down in grinding and long-term strategy, which means I eventually get bored and give up halfway through (I think I've finished like, maybe two runs) so this challenge is perfect for me!

I've started a FireRed run and added a rule for myself that I have to capture every new pokemon I encounter. So far it's awesome - I'm only at Nugget bridge and I've already used a way bigger variety of pokemon than other challenges normally allow (even if some of them only lasted for a battle or two) and I'm moving way faster than usual because the possibility that my team may change at any time is forcing me to focus on short-term strategy rather than investing too much time into planning and grinding.

I've been trying to figure out a good challenge to use on first-time runs, and this one is exactly what I'm looking for - I get to "sample" a big variety of pokemon without having to actually make decisions about which pokemon to use (once again, waaay too much time spent on research and planning, not enough time spent actually playing) and there's risk involved because I could lose a valuable team member at any time, but there's very little chance of actually losing and having to start over.

Anyway, having lots of fun with this challenge! I probably won't be posting regular updates because I don't like having to pause my game continually to record my progress, but I'll at the very least be back with my final team when I beat the E4!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 16, 2018
I like this idea. Can anyone who's done it already attest if it's possible to Nuzlocke as well? Like, do these added retirements really make it too hard on top of the deaths?

Years
I like this idea. Can anyone who's done it already attest if it's possible to Nuzlocke as well? Like, do these added retirements really make it too hard on top of the deaths?

Hey, I feel you could NuzLuckLocke, however, the grinding you can do to avoid deaths in a Nuzlocke is more of a waste here, cause you could lose a Pokemon anyway. In addition, you only ever have a max of 6 Pokemon, so it would be harder

Years

It really depends on what your definition of too hard is I suppose.

I'm sure it's possible, but if you tried to strictly follow all the rules of both challenges it would likely be extremely tedious, as you can never build up a backup of boxed pokemon, so have to be even more careful about over-leveling your pokemon before every battle. I'd never do it because that level of tedious grinding just isn't fun for me (nor is the high chance of getting halfway through the game and then losing because I got impatient and my team got wiped out), but someone else might enjoy the challenge.

If I was going to combine the two challenges, I'd probably drop the rule from the Nuzlocke challenge that you can only catch the first pokemon you encounter on a route (maybe still have a limit, like you can only attempt to catch the first 2 - 3 pokemon per route, so you can build your team back up if you've lost several pokemon) as well as dropping the rule from the Luck-Locke challenge that you have to box/release a pokemon after each gym battle (or count a pokemon "dying" during the gym battle as your post-gym release - so if all your pokemon survived, you release one, but if at least one of them didn't, you don't have to release any "living" pokemon)

Years
POKEMON MOON LUCKLOCKE: PART 3
Spoiler:

TEAM
Spoiler:

RETIRED
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Finally completed the challenge! On FireRed, my final team ended up being:

poliwhirl.gif
tangela.gif
zapdos.gif
raticate.gif
vulpix.gif
ditto.gif

And of note: I caught my first legit shiny! A caterpie, just before heading out to victory road. Sadly, didn't take long after evolving into a Butterfree before she was replaced.

Lots of fun, I haven't used a legendary before, or ditto, so that was interesting.

I think I'm going to complete the post game content, finish the pokedex, and then see what team I end up with and try to beat the E4 again!

InfinityLight

Infinite Number of Pigdeys
Years
Name: InfinityLight (infinity)
Game: Pokemon Moon ll Trials (0/8) Grand Trials (0/4) = (0/11) ll Elite Four (0/4) and Champion (0/1)

Extra Rules: Playing Sun and Moon might give someone an advantage, as in Sun and Moon there is only 7 trials, while other games are stuck with 8 gyms. So I'll retire a pokemon after the fight with Lusamine.

Last edited:
Years
Name: InfinityLight (infinity)
Game: Pokemon Moon (0/8) (0/4) (0/1)

Extra Rules: Playing Sun and Moon might give someone an advantage, as in Sun and Moon there is only 7 trials, while other games are stuck with 8 gyms. So I'll retire a pokemon after the fight with Lusamine.

Hey, just to make you aware, you also retire a pokemon after all 4 kahuna's. So that's 11 guarenteed retiree's iirc.

InfinityLight

Infinite Number of Pigdeys
Years
KimbosUnova; Thanks for the reminder!

Summary
Spoiler:

Team
Spoiler:

Retired
Spoiler:

Z-Crystals
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
This challenge sounds like fun, I'm going to sign up :)
Name: SubVirus
Game: Alpha Sapphire

Edit1 the journey begins. Couldn't pick my starter so I rolled for it. 1,2 treekco, 3,4 torchic, 5,6 mudkip, rolled a 3.
Onwards BurntChicken the male Lv5
Edit2 caught a Stewart the female Lv5Poochyena because I always name tutorial Pokemon stewart). It knows ice fang so it's a keeper. I'm boxing Pickup the zigzagoon though... no pickup=not keeping. Caught Pickup2 female Lv2 zigzagoon with pickup shortly after.
Caught RickyBobbyJR the male Lv3 wurmple (because who wouldn't)
Caught GreenZorro the male Lv5 Lotad
Caught Skipper the female Lv5 Surskit. Never used this pokemon, we'll see how it goes :)
RickyBobbyJR evolved into a Cascoon after defeating the trainer with Tailow (shake and bake); Cascoon is the preferred of the 2 random evolutions from wurmple.
RickyBobbyJR evolved into a Dustox.
Got the Stone badge. GreenZorro absorbed and bubbled his way to victory. I happened to find someone who recreated the scene with BurntChicken for me here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPWMPyyveSU
I always order my pokemon by lowest level goes out first and sorted by level then hp.
So the numbers i'm rolling on are 1 Skipper (10), 2 Pickup2 (10), 3 RickyBobbyJR (10), 4 Stewart (11), 5 BurntChicken (11), and 6 GreenZorro (12)
Rolled a 6... Rip GreenZorro
Out of my 5 boxed pokemon I'll be replacing GreenZorro with Twirly a male Lv3 Ralts (only knows growl *sigh*)
The Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
Disturb Not The Harmony - Blue

Okay, let me give this a try. Just finished a Nuzlocke, so it will be kind of fun to let Pokemon get KOed all over the place. As a mild handicap, I'll limit myself to one Pokemon from each area. All rolls will be done with Random.org.

Spoiler:

143.PNG

Mudou L39 Snorlax
Surf | Amnesia | Thunderbolt | Strength
permitted me to get past Lance with nonsense strats
80.PNG

Mirudraas L41 Slowbro
Surf | Headbutt | Water Gun | Blizzard
permitted me to get past Lance's actual Dragons; would have been 10x better with Thunder Wave or Amnesia, but I legitimately forgot that part of Gen 1 because I was rushing
97.PNG

Almiraj L43 Hypno
Confusion | Hypnosis | Headbutt | Psychic
I forgot to teach it Dream Eater... which would have helped...
In all seriousness, it carried the team through a good chunk of the game. Hypno is ludicrously good in Gen 1. Underappreciated because it doesn't have the Abra line's speed and raw power, but if it can lock anything into Sleep, its only limitations are its PP. Oh, and it can hit Alakazam on its weak Defense while resisting the Psychics thrown its way. Ridiculously good, always go for it.

31.PNG

DarkHorn L33 Nidoqueen
Bite | Poison Sting | Tail Whip | Surf
If I'd been forced out of Psychics, this would have been good. Stayed neglected instead, though it did provide a sacrificial turn for healing Almiraj in the Champion fight.
142.PNG

WhipBird L30 Aerodactyl
Wing Attack | Agility | Fly
Obvious run MVP, saved my sanity from repeatedly walking back and forth through Diglett's Cave. In seriousness, never saw use, but Fly was more than enough use. Plus, how can you dislike Aerodactyl?
64.PNG

Metaly L42 Kadabra
Psybeam | Teleport | Recover | Psychic
Took 5 times to get one. But it did pay off. Could have carried the team if I'd lost any other good Pokemon, but would have required a bit more leveling.

Retirees:
32.PNG
35.PNG
50.PNG
22.PNG
133.PNG
26.PNG
70.PNG
9.PNG
73.PNG

Let's salute MadGopher, Watabou, MudDoll, BullBird, MadCat, SlimeBorg, Rosevine, IronTurt, and KingSquid for giving up their places on the team for the sake of the run!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
Caught Stefanie the Lvl8 Nincada
Caught WingmanJon the Lvl3 Tailow
Caught Kris the Lvl5 Slakoth
Caught Lvl5 Wingull that I forgot to nickname
Caught Sunny the Lvl8 Skitty
Caught Terri the Lvl10 Whismur
Sailed to Dewford town and beat the gym only using Twirly and RickyBobbyJR. (piece of cake)
I always order my pokemon by lowest level goes out first and sorted by level then hp.
So the numbers i'm rolling on are 1 Twirly (13), 2 Stewart (14), 3 RickyBobbyJR (14), 4 Skipper (14), 5 Pickup2 (14), and 6 BurntChicken (15)
Rolled a 6, RIP BurntChicken...
Added Stefanie to the team.
The Team:
Spoiler:

Retired:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
Disturb Not The Harmony - Red

Since this is a random challenge, I think I'll do it again, this time with Red. After all, my chances of getting the same Pokemon again are BEYOND low.

This time, I'm using a fake word generator for more interesting names.

Spoiler:

135.PNG

Roplixoo the L41 Jolteon
Thunderbolt | Sand-Attack | Thundershock | Sand-Attack
handled Lorelei, trivalized Gyaradoses
64.PNG

Mofoblitz the L42 Kadabra
Psybeam | Teleport | Psychic | Recover
incredibly, goofily overpowered
34.PNG

Rowlow the L40 Nidoking
Surf | Ice Beam | Earthquake | Strength
A fantastic bro who came in strong despite coming in late
51.PNG

Xanpon the L42 Dugtrio
Dig | Rock Slide | Slash | Sand-Attack
Basically carried through a good portion of the game. Dugtrio is just silly in Gen 1.
83.PNG

DUX the L30 DUX
Fly | Swords Dance | Sand-Attack | Cut
Tragically was rather useful. DUX is not great, but having a Flyer all run did more for my sanity than can be imagined.
93.PNG

Noodile the L29 Haunter
Confuse Ray | Hypnosis | Night Shade | Mega Drain
Saved the team from a wipe. Haunter is ridiculously good in Gen 1. In all gens, really, but the nonexistence of the Dark type does a lot to make Haunter invincible in situations where it really shouldn't be.

Retirees:
29.PNG
43.PNG
35.PNG
8.PNG
97.PNG
143.PNG
73.PNG
80.PNG

Let's salute Chesture, Yanmoe, Boaclick, Luezoid, Singlewave, Losenoid, Sertave, and Jeebus for giving up their places on the team for the sake of the run!

Back