The PokéCommunity Forums The PokéCommunity Archives Get-Together 2018 Events
Small Writing Contest 2018

Events A forum for all events happening for our 2018 Get-Together.

Old July 31st, 2018 (6:49 AM).
Worrisome, but also Charming
Tribe Koko Logo  
Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryemo View Post
Woops I forgot to finish today, only just started yesterday and hit a road block. Best of luck to those two! Should make it easier lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemanahrad View Post
I think I still have artistic block. I had story and everything, but each time I tried to write it down, I kinda distracted myself with something else or straight up lost my motivation to write it down. Well, maybe next year...
Don't worry people; even getting to writing writing is hard, I would know. Both times (pre and post deadline extension) I felt the story was more or less "finished" shorter than 30 minutes before the deadline hit.

But hey, there's always writing other stories during the rest of the year. I'm sure more content is always welcome and it might help get our muscles flexed for the next SWC. Looking forward to see you around.

And don't forget to vote Koko 2018.

The Suocéverse - Pokémon Stuff

IntroductionOfficial Wiki

SWC Entries
: Playfield 2009 : Misaimed for Life 2014 :
: As They Were 2016 : Simpler than Magic 2017 :
: Beyond Today 2018 :

Other Releases
: Pseudo-Legendary : Silly human, romance is for Nidoran! (Valentine's : Tricks of the Love Fast (Valentine's) : Overlord (meow~) :
»»More in profile link or wiki link««

In progress, I swear

: Interim : Suocéverse: Legends : Gelid Remainder :

Old July 31st, 2018 (11:27 AM).
Between the realm of light and darkness
    Tribe Fini Logo  
    Nature: Quiet
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by countryemo View Post
    Woops I forgot to finish today, only just started yesterday and hit a road block. Best of luck to those two! Should make it easier lol
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zemanahrad View Post
    I think I still have artistic block. I had story and everything, but each time I tried to write it down, I kinda distracted myself with something else or straight up lost my motivation to write it down. Well, maybe next year...
    It's ok, don't worry about it, everyone has a writing block from time to time. that happens to me a lot, I may have a story sometimes but suddenly I end up changing a lot of things and don't like how it goes so I go back and check and if everything feels wrong I start all over again. And believe me I end up thinking about it again and again without even noticing, I really hope I didn't mix everything up in my story this time, and I still need to improve a lot character development in my stories. Maybe next get together SWC we will be able to read your stories and surely they will be great.
    PD: try listening to a music that may inspire you and you think or feel goes well with what you are writing, It allowed me to finish mine this time and I was almost on the point of giving up.
    Old July 31st, 2018 (7:19 PM).
    Darkinium Z
    Tribe Fini Logo  
    Nature: Sassy
    To be honest, I'm surprised there were barley any entries this time. Last year, we had over 10 or so participants and a few people turned in entries the few couple days already. For contests like this, I would just try to think of something short and sweet, doesn't need to be anything too epic.

Um, anyways, I'm here to give an update. So I read and scored the two stories, and I'm waiting gimmepie to see if he had started yet and how we'll go about giving away the prizes. Stay tuned!

"Meowth are all right. They don't care who you are or anything."
    Foul Play [Chapter Four up!]
    Old July 31st, 2018 (11:07 PM). Edited July 31st, 2018 by gimmepie.
    Tribe Bulu Logo  
    Nature: Adamant
    Results

Bay's Scoring
    Spoiler:
    Quote:
    Char Draco
    Spelling/Grammar: 7/10
    Plot and Description: 6/10
    Revelance to Prompt: 7/10
    Total: 20/30

Spelling and Grammar: Have some typos and run on/awkward sentences there. Also some paragraphs would benefit from being broken down.

Plot and Description: I do like the motivation of the character wanting to get a Heatran in order to go against Palmer. The story would beneift much more emoitonal descripiton and dialogue, though. For instance, the battle would have been more intense if you described the character's struggle with dialogue, reactions, and body lanugage instead of summarizing what was going on.

Revelance to Plot: A legendary Pokemon battle isn't a bad idea for the plot and I see where you're getitng at. I feel the story's execution could have handled better, though.

Venia Silente
    Spelling/Grammar: 8/10
    Plot and Description: 8/10
    Revelance to Prompt: 9/10
    Total: 25/30

All right going to make some quick comments on the plot and revelance to prompt. I think my biggest concern with this piece is you had over the first half of the story in Gesta's POV but he didn't exactly have a role except getting caught in dungeon sheinigians and brining apples for Dalvin. Which is a shame as I did enjoy his voice in the beginning of the narration. There was also reference to Safo that I feel has an important role too but due to the deadline for this contest you weren't able to get to that.

Dalvin gets a much more important role in the second half and this is where I feel Dalvin's POV might benefit this story more. With that said, Dalvin is a fun character and I like some of his sass, particularly his comment on Palkia to Dialga.

I think I can see you going several angles for the surivial prompt: the dungeon fight in the beginning, Dialga, and Dalivn wanting to find a partner (and getting one in the end). I think the dungeon fight would've have connected the other two points together if the beginning was in Dalvin's POV but overall everything wraps up together!

gimme's Scoring
    Spoiler:
    Quote:
    Char Draco
    Spelling and Grammar: 7
    Characterisation, Plot and Description: 4
    Prompt Relevance: 8
    Total: 19/30

Venia Silente
    Spelling and Grammar: 8
    Characterisation, Plot and Description: 8
    Prompt Relevance: 10
    Total: 26/30

Sorry I don't have a proper critique for you right now like Bay, I've run into some computer troubles and don't really have the time at this moment. I'll try to get some written here before the forum closes if I can, otherwise I'll keep an eye out for them in FF&W and you're welcome to request critique via PMs. Congratulations to Venia Silente who has won a Psychium Z for their tribe.
    Old August 1st, 2018 (7:38 AM).
    Tribe Koko Logo  
    Well, congrats to Chr. Draco for participating with me, for one. I'm eager to read the story!

And congrats to the judges of course.

I will be posting the story sometime during the weekend; most likely the exact same version sent to the judges plus some minor corrections - and a side of meta / development commentary!

(Also I'm monitoring this thread to save its latest version before this section closes~)

SWC Entries

Other Releases
    : Pseudo-Legendary : Silly human, romance is for Nidoran! (Valentine's : Tricks of the Love Fast (Valentine's) : Overlord (meow~) :

In progress, I swear

Old August 3rd, 2018 (5:24 PM).
    Between the realm of light and darkness
      Tribe Fini Logo  
      Nature: Quiet
      Hi, Congrats venia on first place and thanks to the judges for hosting the event. I still need to improve a lot so also thanks for your patience, feedback and for reading my story, hopefully I'll be able to do better next time.
      Old August 3rd, 2018 (11:20 PM).
      Rawr
        Tribe Bulu Logo  
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Bay View Post
        To be honest, I'm surprised there were barley any entries this time. Last year, we had over 10 or so participants and a few people turned in entries the few couple days already. For contests like this, I would just try to think of something short and sweet, doesn't need to be anything too epic.

Um, anyways, I'm here to give an update. So I read and scored the two stories, and I'm waiting gimmepie to see if he had started yet and how we'll go about giving away the prizes. Stay tuned!
        I'm bad at writing short stories, and writer's block generally sucks for me, which is why I didn't end up submitting anything.
        Old August 6th, 2018 (12:32 PM).
        Tribe Koko Logo  
        I have published this year's SWC entry under the title "Beyond Today". Tagged with [SWC] as per usual.

SWC Entries

Other Releases

In progress, I swear

Quick Reply