• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN OPEN] Hoenn: The Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

doge

???
Years
Introduction
This roleplay, for lack of a better way to word it, is a journey/sandbox with a bit of a twist. Similar to other journey roleplays, gyms and the Pokémon League (god-willing we ever get that far) will be featured, but mainly as a secondary aspect of your adventure. Consider the acquisition of gym badges to be something of a personal progress marker for your character instead of this essential goal to strive towards. This pokémon trainer business should matter to your character, but it won't dictate every living moment of their life or their journey. My role as a GM will be to help facilitate this by, in a sense, actively playing as the world. After your character begins their journey, I will throw certain developments their way and how these scenarios play out will largely depend on your character's actions. In the same vein, your character's decisions will prompt certain reactions and possibly events from the world around them. While I encourage you to play along, if you ever want to temporarily opt out of these occurrences, please let me know in an OCC portion of your IC posts.

I do have the bare bones of the/a main plot in mind, but that will likely grow and change as we progress through the roleplay and if and when it concludes, I will likely continue the roleplay in some fashion with another development. Still, there is an ending in sight somewhere far, far down the line. I hope my explanation so far has been sufficient and you have a basic sense of how this roleplay is going to work. I welcome any questions if anything needs to be clarified. Let's continue!

P.S. I apologize for the inconsistent capitalization of Pokémon.

Mechanics
Characters can begin their journey from any town or city in the Hoenn region.

Because characters can start from various locations in Hoenn, gyms will scale to a difficulty appropriate/slightly above the player's current Pokémon. In the end, this isn't too important as I will allow player discretion to decide the outcome of gym battles. Just be reasonable; these battles should be difficult, perhaps even taking multiple tries. I'm also willing to play as said gym leader if you want to conduct a joint post for those battles.

I say appropriate to your character's Pokémon because there will be levels in the roleplay. Consider them a reference for moves, evolutions, and general battling prowess. The level system won't be perfect, and it probably can't be called a system either. I will provide updates to levels in my posts and I hope you trust me to dole them out fairly.

Levels will be important primarily because of the way I want wild Pokémon to function. Unlike the games, the level of wild Pokémon will not scale with city and travel progression. At times, you can encounter Pokémon that are significantly stronger than your own and the reverse is possible as well. Levels will work as a reference for whether your character can handle this encounter and how you may want to write it. The species of Pokémon that you can encounter will be influenced by the environment you're traveling in but I will not be providing a list of possible encounters for different routes and locations. I'd like there to always be a degree of uncertainty in regards to Pokémon you can encounter. Similar to the mechanics mentioned in the intro, I will control encounters and whether you can or cannot catch said encounter. When you are unable to catch the encounter, this means I have something larger in store for you.

For battling purposes, the maximum amount of moves a Pokémon can have at once is ten. I also want to say I really enjoy creativity in battles. Since we're writing the script, Pokémon battles don't have to follow the game's back and forth formula. Just try to keep the creativity in line with your character's experience and limitations. That being said, keep in mind that Pokémon are also individuals, and battles are not a one-man show.

By the way, you can trade Pokémon! This doesn't come up often in a lot of roleplays so I'd like to just point it out. You can put Pokémon up for trade and other players or even NPCs can send in offers. Of course, you may not always like the NPC offers. Unrelated to trading, you will be able to have an unlimited Pokémon party, although the more you carry on your person, the sillier you'll look with balls strapped all around you. In official matches like tournaments and gym battles you will be limited to just six Pokemon. In unofficial bouts, most trainers agree to a set a limit so that it doesn't become some battle of attrition.

Items! Things like potions, TMs, berries, and Key Items are going to be tracked for each character. For simplicity's sake there's only one kind of potion in the roleplay. You can use them to turn the tide of a battle, to help heal your pokémon when a Pokémon Center is nowhere in sight, or any other use that comes to mind. Status healers are a different story, the variation will stay, but we'll keep track of those too. Key Items will be "earned" throughout the course of your character's journey. HMs do no exist but consider them innate actions your pokémon can perform.

Other Important Information
If you didn't already know, this roleplay takes place in the Hoenn region. Consider the cities/locations and the same to OR/AS's cities/locations. So instead of classic Mauville and the shipwreck on Route 108, we'll have New Mauville and Sea Mauville. I'm still deciding between the Battle Frontier or Battle Resort and whether it's even vital to the roleplay so, for now, that is in limbo.

In this Hoenn, Pokémon battling and being a Pokémon trainer are as popular as ever. Still, it's far from a wise or easy career choice. Money as a Pokémon trainer is earned in primarily two ways: Winning tournament prize pools (anything from local, more contained tournaments to the Pokémon League itself) and through sponsors. Because of the high ratings Pokémon battles often bring, as well as the popularity of top trainers, many companies find considerable value in sponsoring trainers, even fledglings. That being said, aside from some of the best trainers in the region, few are able to enjoy a life of wealth with little to no financial burden. In fact, it would be appropriate to say most trainers find it difficult to sustain the lifestyle unless supported by another job. For trainers pursuing their dreams, sponsorships are a serious boon. For the sake of the roleplay, your character, will not have any sponsors to begin with, but that's almost certain to change as we go on. Of course, there are also other ways to earn money as a Pokémon trainer. I don't want it to be limiting, so if you're ever unsure, do ask. To clarify, money isn't the same as items and will not be tracked. Consider money and the necessary pursuit of it as something that adds flavor to the roleplay. Having money and lacking money will be relevant for your character and the various situations they will face in the roleplay.

Your character will be a relatively new trainer in terms of experience, but how they've come into becoming a Pokemon trainer is up to you.

I still feel there is a lot more I want to flesh out and explain but I also really want to get this thing going. I know I seem like a broken record saying this all the time, but if you're curious about anything, please ask. It may even help me in fleshing this out.

post-edit important information
So aside from Trainer Academies, which we'll consider something like an extracurricular like cram schools for you Eastaboos, we have regular schools like high school and college/university in this RP's world. Conveniently for the youngest members of our cast, you're able to drop out at 15 so that's the logic behind that :smile:

NPCs! I'm going to be using these guys a lot. If your character has family, relatives, or friends, I'm going to use them! It'll be fun, at least for me, so feel free to come up with some. If you ever want to keep a side character off-limits to me, let me know.

Shiny pokémon! Since we've had someone sign up with a shiny, I'll just go ahead and say it will be possible to catch shiny Pokémon in the roleplay. You'll have whatever the worst rate (a 1/8192 chance) is in the game to get one, but at least it's possible. Aoi is barred from having any more shiny Pokémon though. :evil-smirk: And no, no one else is starting with one.

RULES
  1. Follow PC forum rules.
  2. Rated M. Have fun.
  3. Respect your fellow players. If there are issues and they can't be resolved among those involved, feel free to come to me.
  4. No bunnying, godmodding.
  5. While inactivity is always troublesome in varying degrees, I will only remove players from the roleplay at their request. Please understand that if you do return after being inactive it may not be possible to resume where we left off. If you are collaborating with someone else, try to stay active for their sake.
  6. Stay hydrated and well rested. =)
  7. Read the all the text above this. They're important! Ask if you have any questions!
  8. hey there :wink-right-eye:

Sign-Up Sheet Reference
Spoiler:

Accepted Players List
Chloe Silverman - Juno
Kyle Fisher - Aldo!
Kiyo Shima - ElBurrito
Nolan Dichard - W.T. Koopa
Rei Takabia - Magnificent Magilou
Aoi Saito - Mikachu
Marmara Ortega - Pudding
Aleksander Clay - GravityDefy​

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024

Rei Takabia
flaire_by_elaynii-d6nowhq_zpsirfa4xlj.png

"Well... You're not entirely useless. Maybe you could carry my bag for me."

17 // Lavaridge Town // Female

Appearance

Rei stands at a height of about 5'8". She sports a fair skin complexion, which is offset nicely by her intense, violet eyes and wild, crimson-red hair. It is quite long, easily reaching down well past her lower back. She keeps most of her hair pulled back into a tall and wild ponytail, with her bangs framing the sides of her face. Her soft facial features make her quite easy on the eyes. Her body build is somewhat slender, yet still accented with curves in all the right places. Rei has a small scar on the back of her left shoulder, one that she obtained when she was much younger as a result of a fall she experienced when climbing a tree.

In terms of clothing, Rei often tries to put equal focus onto both comfort and style. She is most comfortable when wearing sneakers and denim jeans. Her preferred style is to wear them slightly flared, usually with some sort of design to accentuate their appearance. Rei often wears a long-sleeved t-shirt for a top. She prefers to wear these in darker colors, usually in the hue of a deep violet or black. Most of her tops are a bit lower in cut, so Rei will commonly wear a tank top or something of the sort underneath to preserve some form of modesty. She usually completes her look by wearing a red, leather belt around her waist and a pair of crescent moon-shaped earrings in her ears. When traveling, Rei keeps all of her trainer goods in a dark purple shoulder bag that she wears off her left shoulder. She keeps the balls of her Pokémon on a stylish, bracelet-like accessory on her right wrist.

Personality

A headstrong and determined young woman, Rei outspoken and not afraid to give her opinion on things. Always willing to rise to new challenges, she does not take things into consideration such as impossible or difficult. Rather, Rei makes it her goal to find solutions and each challenge that comes her way is a stepping stone to new ways of testing her power and growing stronger as a trainer who will be worthy of becoming the next master of the Dragon's Den.

That said, she tends to be quite cocky and egotistical. Rei sees herself as a force to be reckoned with, and she is not exactly shy about this feeling either. Why one could potentially see her dedication and determination to being a strong and unrivaled Pokémon trainer as admirable, it also boarders along the line of obsessive. She can push herself beyond healthy limits, and can potentially treat her Pokémon with the same regard. Rei is quick to hold a grudge. She tends to see many around her on a lesser level than her, and she's not shy to let them know it.

When she's not training her Pokémon or seeking out stronger opponents, Rei likes to spend her time drawing. It's been a stress reliever she's had since she was a small child, and can often be seen carrying a small notebook and pencil with her to at the very least due some sketching during her downtime. Rei tends to draw whatever interests her at the time, ranging from various Pokémon to something she may see in a town or forest. While drawing, she tends to block out all others around her, as if escaping into her own little world.

Backstory

Rei was born and raised in Lavaridge Town. She lived with her grandparents in the town, her grandmother being a retired nurse from the city's Pokémon Center, while her grandfather serves as an attendant at the town's famous hot springs. During her younger years, Rei respected her grandfather's time as an attendant, appreciating his knowledge in the spiritual rituals used to soothe and heal both human and Pokémon alike. However as she grew older, the girl began to find herself wondering why he always settled just for that. She had been well aware that in his younger years, the old man used to be quite the Pokémon trainer. Yet still, he seemed to be quite satisfied remaining in a power of weakness.

Rei always showed an interest in being a trainer herself. When she came of the proper age, Rei was sent to Rustboro City's trainer academy. There, she began to study the finer points of being trainer properly. She was a very diligent student, always putting work ahead of fun. She excelled in most of the classes she took, taking it as a chance to become a stronger trainer. During breaks at the academy, such as during the holidays, she would return home to see her grandfather still serving in his constant role as an attendant in the Lavaridge hot springs. And the more time passed, the more angry she began to grow about it. Rei realized that if he was not willing to take a position that he could easily obtain, then she would be more than happy to take care of it herself.

Finally, an opportunity presented itself. Rei eventually graduated the academy and received a starter Pokémon of her own as a gift from her grandparents. While she had been hoping for a more powerful Pokémon, Rei knew that she was probably lucky that she was able to receive her first Pokémon from the couple in the first place. With any luck, this Pokémon would have a ton of hidden potential...

Pokémon

2037-Shiny-Vulpix.png

Ashe the Vulpix | Female | Timid | Thoroughly Cunning | Flash Fire | Level 14

Moveset

Ember |Tail Whip | Roar | Baby-Doll Eyes | Quick Attack | Confuse Ray | Tail Slap

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
but I told you my detailed plans for my fetus trainer
402867847950237698.png

it's ok I have a backup SU in the works

Mikachu

Veteren Trainer
Years
This seems interesting, I might sign up with an OC out of the fanifc I'm writing :)

Post will likely be edited with my character's information :)

Edit: due to CSS and a slight change of plans in what character I am using, my signup will be in a new post hopefully tonight.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
CHLOE SILVERMAN
15-year-old novice trainer from Slateport City

APPEARANCE

Chloe has long, ash-brown hair, often pulled up into a bun - she is a fairly active person, so she usually does not like her hair loose. Her eyes are hazel, and light freckles are sprinkled across her nose and cheeks.

She is of average height for her age, perhaps a little on the short side, standing at about 5'4". She dresses casually, in denims and t-shirts most of the time, and black sneakers.

PERSONALITY/TRAITS

With a cheerful disposition, she generally has a warm personality that people gravitate towards, but she can be impulsive and headstrong in some situations, which makes her come across a bit rude or inconsiderate sometimes even when she means well, as she doesn't fully think through the consequences of her actions, or how her words might be taken.

She is laid-back and carefree for the most part, but when a challenge that interests her is presented, she can get quite competitive and single-minded in accomplishing the goal.

FAMILY

Chloe lives in Slateport City with her twin brother Evan and older sister Penelope (Penny or Penn for short), who is 25. They are a small, but tight-knit family. Their mom and dad are no longer in the picture - they were young and irresponsible parents, and generally left the twins in the care of Penny even when they were still around, but they left home completely when the twins were 7 and when Penny was 17 to focus on their own Pokémon journey.

Like a lot of children, Chloe and Evan have always dreamed of becoming Pokémon trainers as well. At one point, so did Penny, and she was a pretty good trainer, but she put her own dreams aside for the sake of her siblings and took up the responsibility of raising them when their parents left.

PENELOPE SILVERMAN

Penny has always been mature for her age, and largely grew up that way in order to offset the immaturity of her parents. Kind and motherly, she has always taken good care of her younger siblings and put them first.

Their parents did not leave them with much, but Penny had some talent as a seamstress, as well as a passion for fashion - she took care of her siblings by selling clothing and accessories at the Slateport Market, single-handedly building up a small but popular business. At first, she mostly sold unique articles she made by hand or sewing machine only, but eventually she began importing fashion from other cities and regions as well.

She was able to purchase a stall at the bazaar, and has taught her brother and sister to help out as well. She now dreams of being able to open a small boutique one day.

Unlike her siblings, Penelope has platinum-blonde hair. When she's not working, she spends a lot of time down at the beach on Route 109, so she wears a lot of typical beach attire, namely flip flops, tank tops and long, flowing skirts or dresses. Penelope stands taller than her younger sister, at about 5'7".

POKÉMON

018MS.png

Pidgeot
Merlot

184MS.png

Azumarill
Perry

471MS.png

Glaceon
Shira

EVAN SILVERMAN

Contrasting his twin, Evan is more calm and aloof, with a quiet determination. A competent trainer, but doesn't have as much of a natural affinity for it as his sisters do. What he lacks for in talent, however, he makes up for through hard work and perseverance.

Like most siblings, Chloe and Evan have their squabbles, but they do love and care for each other. They also both respect their older sister a lot, so her word is usually final in any dispute.

Although they are fraternal twins, Chloe and Evan still share very similar features - Evan has the same ash-brown hair and hazel eyes, as well as freckles. They differ quite a bit in height, however - the tallest of his siblings, Evan stands at 5'10", towering over his twin. His wardrobe is simple and consists of a lot of black, grey and other neutral tones, with the occasional splash of navy.

POKÉMON

133MS.png

Eevee
Stella

POKÉMON

NOVA THE EEVEE Lv. 17

Moveset: Bite, Swift, Tackle, Growl
Ability: Adaptability​

BACKSTORY

Back when Penny was still an aspiring Pokémon trainer, she often left her Pokémon at a daycare when she had to run errands or take care of Chloe and Evan. One time, when she returned to collect her Pokémon, she was surprised with two eggs. She decided to gift them to her younger siblings - they had always wanted their own Pokémon, so she told them if they could successfully hatch the eggs, they could keep and train them.

The twins were delighted, and took their eggs with them everywhere. Their dedication paid off, and two Eevee eventually hatched from the eggs, only days apart. Evan's hatched first, and he named his female Eevee Stella; Nova hatched about a week later. Chloe was a little upset she "lost" to her brother, but she and Nova quickly caught up and surpassed Evan and Stella in training.

OTHER

When Penny taught Chloe how to use the sewing machine, one of the first things she made was a little, red bandana for Nova, which he still wears today.

Chloe and Evan both like having their Eevee out of their Poké Balls, so Stella and Nova are usually just seen wandering around and playing in Slateport and Route 109 together, when they are not following their trainers. As they were born and raised in Slateport City, many locals recognize them and know who they belong to.

FABLE THE SWABLU Lv. 13

Moveset: Peck, Disarming Voice, Astonish
Ability: Natural Cure​

BACKSTORY

One evening when the Silvermans were spending some time down by the beach after dinner, Chloe heard a startling cry, and decided to go investigate the noise with Nova by her side. They found a small, injured Swablu, and brought her back to her family. As Penelope took a look at her, she noted that the Swablu's wing was hurt. Based on the time of year and location, she also deduced that the Swablu was probably part of a migrating flock that passed by, but got injured and left behind.

They decided to take her home after the outing, and nursed her back to health. The Swablu was quite shy, but took a liking to Chloe as she cared for her first. She gave her the name Fable, and allowed the Cotton Bird Pokémon to rest up in her bedroom. As the weeks went by, Fable slowly regained her strength and ability to fly, but even so, she decided to stay with the family.

OTHER

Like most Swablu, Fable is very partial to cleanliness and when she is home, her favourite hobbies include dusting and cleaning, while singing sweetly.

Fable is quite meek and not much of a fighter, though Chloe does try to train her as well while she trains Nova.

END NOTE

I didn't intend to write so much about her family, and it looks like I created three whole characters here, but I'll really only be writing from the perspective of Chloe - Penelope and Evan's bios just kinda happened as I fleshed out their backstory and added more details, but as they're all integral to her character and life, I'm gonna leave this as-is.

That said, I may or may not add Penelope as a supporting character at some point though, if that's allowed? She won't be battling or anything, but the purpose of creating her family in the first place was so Chloe will have a plausible means of income/someone sending her money if/when she is in dire need of it (and I won't abuse this like she will have money falling from the sky whenever she needs a potion or something, it'll just be an option to fall on if she's not doing well on her own), so it might be interesting to be able to check in on how the family is doing from time to time without Chloe having to physically go home and see them.

Last edited:

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
You didn't say, 'No legendary Pokemon.' So, does this mean legendaries are okay?

doge

???
Years
Chloe Nosurname

fix nova's level homie

I actually really like the amount of effort you put into Chloe's more respectable family members and setting up a bit of a backstory for her. It opens up some interesting doors we can pull from when it comes to her journey, and in addition to your own plans for Chloe's supporting cast, I want to and intend to use them for some of the things I'll be planning for your character. I'm hoping you're all fine with me pooling into your NPCs once and awhile if anyone else happens to make some; I'll edit the OP with this soon.

You didn't say, 'No legendary Pokemon.' So, does this mean legendaries are okay?

You can absolutely sign up with legendary pokemon. Whether or not I accept it, well...

@Everybody Thanks for showing interest, guys. I'm looking forward to seeing what y'all come up with for characters. I plan on submitting the IC after we have around 4 or so accepted players but there's no absolutely no rush at all; sign-ups aren't going to close anytime soon.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
his name is peepo and he is fatter and cuter than pepe, get it right rika
blame jake
400751097372868608.png

also who keeps making fun of me in that dead rp discord server (besides doge himself, that's not new)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
his name is peepo and he is fatter and cuter than pepe, get it right rika
blame jake
400751097372868608.png

also who keeps making fun of me in that dead rp discord server (besides doge himself, that's not new)
what dead rp discord server, what have i missed

Change of plans, sorry! I think I will focus on other things and won't sign up for a pokémon RP at this time. Good luck and have fun though :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back