• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Perhaps you should paste it into the portion that is supposed to be where it goes to, so you can have the prologue finished. Or you can continue to flesh out your ideas so that perhaps the prologue would make sense to you.

Also keep in mind that the prologue is basically an intro, nothing more.

Lash

Years
What's the most disappointing thing that has happened to you while writing?
Something that happened just now. Mom turned laptop off while I was halfway through the chapter, and I didn't save ;o;

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
Not sure if this counts, but I'm gonna bring it up anyway, cos I just love whining about it. MY FLASH DRIVE GOT WIPED WITH A TON OF FANFICTION ON IT AND IT WAS THE ONLY COPYYYYY! All I had left was what I'd already posted. So I lost a major revision of my current chapterfic, multiple oneshots, and a few drabbles. ;_;

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Like many others, mine was computer related. My computer crashed and I lost about half a chapter of writing. In retrospect, it could have been a lot worse, but I was still annoyed at the time. :P

Lash

Years
Not sure if this counts, but I'm gonna bring it up anyway, cos I just love whining about it. MY FLASH DRIVE GOT WIPED WITH A TON OF FANFICTION ON IT AND IT WAS THE ONLY COPYYYYY! All I had left was what I'd already posted. So I lost a major revision of my current chapterfic, multiple oneshots, and a few drabbles. ;_;

Holy hell dude, that sucks much more than what happened to me. How long ago did it happen?

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years

I'm sorry to hear what happened, S.D. I hope it wasn't a computer virus that did it (on the other hand, I maybe rather hope it was, since all the other flash drive wipe reasons that came to mind are the "and now you can just toss that flash drive into the garbage bin" kind...).

I don't have an anecdote like that, except that while I was writing the last posted chapters of my fic last week, I got an enormous popup notification from my mail system indicating that one of a friend and colleague's parents had just undergone(sp?) a stroke and was being taken to hospital. Way to kill inspiration.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
My old laptop which I had had for around two and a half years crashed and burned this past Sunday, right when I was in the stride of my whole writing every day thing. Diagnosing the symptoms (vertical line artifacts visible on POST screen as well as during the loading of any OS, graphic drivers unable to initialize resulting in any OS crashing as soon as it tried to enter a high-graphics mode, Windows BSOD indicating that the problem was some sort of memory failure, the problems continuing even with the hard drive removed and booting off a verified working Ubuntu boot disk) led me to the conclusion that, at the least, the graphic's card RAM had gone bad. That is not something that can really be user replaced in a laptop as in the vast majority of them, even with dedicated graphics, the graphics card is built into the motherboard which would thus need replaced.

Well seeing as how I had to go back to school on Tuesday and sort of need a computer for school, sending it in for a repair that could take several weeks or even months was not much of an option. The laptop was out of warranty anyway, so it still would have cost money that way. The only real option I had was to go and buy a new laptop using money which I don't even have now and probably won't have for months still. After searching online and seeing that the laptop I had picked out on Newegg was available locally at Best Buy, I picked up this fancy new HP HDX 16. I sort of hate to say it but it pretty much blows the old Asus A8JS out of the water. It's shinier, has a bigger screen (by two whole inches diagonal), better quality screen, better keyboard (plus a dedicated number pad!), a lot better looking and shinier, better CPU, far better graphics, double the memory, and did I mention that it's extremely shiny and nice looking? The old Asus was one of the ugliest laptops I've ever seen next to the old Dells and Thinkpads, but this one's so shiny! Seriously, I knew it was shiny before I got it and even when I saw it in the store but after unpacking it I was like ZOMG this thing's going to blind me with shininess. X_x The only things I don't like about it are that despite the bigger screen it actually has a lower resolution than the old one (1366x768 vs 1440x900) and that said screen uses a 16:9 ratio (like an HDTV) instead of the former standard of 16:10.

As I mentioned, though, the failure was not due to a software problem and so the hard drive of the old laptop (which was newly upgraded last fall out of my own pocket...) was salvaged and all my data, including fics, was easily recovered. The big disappointment was that this lead to a three day gap in the whole writing every day thing. Okay, so on Tuesday I actually had the new laptop and could have technically written, but that was when I moved in and I was far too tired to write. I had been expecting that, just not the two days before when I had to go without a computer to write on. -_-

So yeah, in the end that's not as bad in terms of fics or writing as the ones where you people actually lost stuff, but I lost my beloved laptop (Well, we had been starting to break up). And $1000 I don't even have yet. Thank god for credit.

The good news is that through my writing yesterday and today, I feel that I just may be able to finish this chapter at least by when classes start on Monday. Potentially, tomorrow will be the last part that needs written in the chapter leaving Saturday free for proofreading.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
*Surprisingly, I'm back*
Because my exam was cancelled due to the H1N1/Swine Flu epidemic.
I'm not sure whether to be happy, scared, or both...

I was in the middle of writing an essay for school when the power went out. 20 pages, gone...
From then on, I always remember to save, even if it autosaves for me.

Sparkling Dragon said:
Ooh, sorry to hear about that Sparkles. Truly, I am...

Misheard Whisper

Years
Holy hell dude, that sucks much more than what happened to me. How long ago did it happen?
It would have been about four months ago, I reckon. =(

I'm sorry to hear what happened, S.D. I hope it wasn't a computer virus that did it (on the other hand, I maybe rather hope it was, since all the other flash drive wipe reasons that came to mind are the "and now you can just toss that flash drive into the garbage bin" kind...).
I actually think it was operator error. Removing it while it was doing something important, or something like that. I dunno.

Ooh, sorry to hear about that Sparkles. Truly, I am...
It was a long time ago, relatively. I think it happened twice, actually, but the second was so soon after the first there wasn't much on it. It's no big deal.

Venia Silente

Years
I actually think it was operator error. Removing it while it was doing something important, or something like that. I dunno.

It was a long time ago, relatively. I think it happened twice, actually, but the second was so soon after the first there wasn't much on it. It's no big deal.

Removing flash drive while still writing did THAT????''??? Nasty machine.

Sparkling Dragon, I'm not sure how many Megas is your flashdrive but I *guess* you at least have some recovery plan like backuping *yes, I accidentally word, backup is independent now so verb and 'ing, backuping lol* everything to a CD every month or two. After all CD information is not that easily corruptible except as a whole yet, right? Right?

Also, Shrike, welcome to the world of portable widescreen. Not the most comfortable resolution in the world but, seeing as the market grows, it's love it or find something funny to do with the extra space. :D I hope you can recover your Write Every Day Rythm. Man I envy you right now (except for, well, the widescreen...)!

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023

Not fanfics, I have never had that problem (yet). XD

With this laptop, I have had it shut off on its own because it has overheated, but that is only when I've played games.

But for writing, the only time this has happened was when I was back in high school, and whilst writing an essay, the power decided to shut off, for the whole school, and I was all like. ;_;

So Mika's children's story kind of reminded me of other ones. And not that I'd write it [especially now], but I'd still think it funny and interesting if there was an Alice in Wonderland version of Pokemon, whether it be with Ash or some other character. XD

Mind you, one would have to make the descision if they wanted to write the version from Disney, or the original by Lewis Carroll.

Bay

Years
I had saved the whole first draft of NE on my flashdrive (finished the whole fic actually before I posted) and then I lost it at uni. >.> Luckily I have the draft saved in my email account incase something like that happened (I lost my flashdrive a couple of times XD), but I had to rewrite all of Chapter 5 and 6 AGAIN (rewrote those two chapters before I lost the flashdrive). ._.

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
...Not saving, walking away from the computer, coming back to discover that Mom has shut down without saving and deleted three pages of fanfic?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I have an "artist's superstition" that I must never write down on paper or speak aloud the final title of a novel I want to be published, for fear if I do it never will be.

So I stopped work on one such novel and came back to it nearly half a year later, and I've forgotten the title. And because of that superstition, it's not archived anywhere. It was the best title I've ever come up with and fit the theme of the novel perfectly.

Misheard Whisper

Years
Removing flash drive while still writing did THAT????''??? Nasty machine.

Sparkling Dragon, I'm not sure how many Megas is your flashdrive but I *guess* you at least have some recovery plan like backuping *yes, I accidentally word, backup is independent now so verb and 'ing, backuping lol* everything to a CD every month or two. After all CD information is not that easily corruptible except as a whole yet, right? Right?
I'm not actually sure what I did wrong in order to make it spazz like that. It could have been any of a number of things (including the flash drive being wiggled so much that all the interior workings were still plugged into the computer while I was left holding a plastic shell? It didn't seem to affect the data at the time, but it may have contributed.). As for CDs, no, I have no backups. They're too easy to find and sabotage read.

Venia Silente

Years
I'm not actually sure what I did wrong in order to make it spazz like that. It could have been any of a number of things (including the flash drive being wiggled so much that all the interior workings were still plugged into the computer while I was left holding a plastic shell? It didn't seem to affect the data at the time, but it may have contributed.). As for CDs, no, I have no backups. They're too easy to find and sabotage read.

The bolded part made me laugh. I *hope* that was written in a kidding mood. Right?
Although, there are certain flashdrive brands... I can't talk about that in public when sober.

If you're interested in keeping Your Eyes Only backups, there's always the possibility of encrypting the contents of the CD before recording. I have a sort of ridiculous encryption plan (past the cites), but everyone is entitled to their own tastes (I like my mind to take convoluted approaches to everything)-- this goes for everyone who is at least half as paranoid as me. That I sincerely hope it's not too many!

All in all, I think I will check past bolded topics, see if there is anything inter--
Do you usually write in the order you feel like writing or in the order people are going to read your story?
I write in the order the story comes to me. Once I'm finished with inspiration I take a time to rework things and from that point I write things in the order they have to happen (not necessarily the same as the publishing order). I always keep some drabbles of further parts in the story to work when I really have nothing else to do, though.

The last one was the last bolded topic I felt like answering, the other one was the reviews one which I think I'm not qualified to answer. Maybe I can post a bolded topic?

How valuable do you think *bolded topics* are here at the Lounge? Why?

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Very. They steer the topic back onto conversation about fanfiction, or at least writing. When we go without a bold topic for a while, we tend to go a bit crazy. :>

Misheard Whisper

Years
No, solovino, I'm afraid I wasn't kidding. It looks like a mini-hard drive in there, with the green board and all the shiny lines and pretty colours. Still works, though, and it only comes out occasionally.

How valuable do you think *bolded topics* are here at the Lounge? Why? What Citrinin said. They restore sanity to depravity.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Yep, Citrinin pretty much clarified my answer. Without the bolded topics (that relate to Fan Fiction), we would mostly become like the DCC or whatever it's called now. But yeah, sanity is good. Insanity...maybe in small doses. :D

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
This was a discussion I was having recently with Feign over VM.

Do you prefer to write in short bursts, or over long stretches of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back