• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2014
How rampant is cheating online? I don't want to spend weeks building my team just to have some jerk have maxed out hacked pokemon.

Years
Nonexistant in Nintendo's own random wi-fi battle system. All Pokemon I've encountered there are completely legal.

Outside of it, you'll find some hackers, but the ratio is very small. More likely, you'll find people will use Pokemon that are within the limits of legality than people who use hacks that make Pokemon stronger than they should be.

Years
How rampant is cheating online? I don't want to spend weeks building my team just to have some jerk have maxed out hacked pokemon.
If any Pokemon is hacked they still possess legal stats. The random wi-fi system has a filter that kicks off Pokemon with illegal movesets, stats, abilities, etc. I once hacked a legal egg move onto a Dusclops I bred legally, but that isn't even allowed.

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019

If any Pokemon is hacked they still possess legal stats. The random wi-fi system has a filter that kicks off Pokemon with illegal movesets, stats, abilities, etc. I once hacked a legal egg move onto a Dusclops I bred legally, but that isn't even allowed.

Wow, I'm glad they're getting stricter about things like these... though the egg move thing I find a bit too extreme. I don't see hacking a move that a Pokemon can legitimately learn doing any harm. Still, it's nice to see such strictness be put into effect.

竜の子

Avy made by Trainer Touko
Years
So what IVs LIllipoup,watchdog and Herdier give?
Cuz I foresee a lotta battles to get my first two badges

Years
So what IVs LIllipoup,watchdog and Herdier give?
Cuz I foresee a lotta battles to get my first two badges
I think you mean EVs? IVs are the ones that you have to breed to get.

Lillipup - 1 Atk
Herdier - 2 Atk
Watchog - 1 Atk

Wow, I'm glad they're getting stricter about things like these... though the egg move thing I find a bit too extreme. I don't see hacking a move that a Pokemon can legitimately learn doing any harm. Still, it's nice to see such strictness be put into effect.
I suppose it's for the best. Hacking will take a drastic hit thanks to the wi-fi filter and the frequent updates to 3DS. Action Replay will most likely be eliminated since Nintendo's newest handheld is going to be receiving official updates by itself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure firmware updates like this are the reason that Action Replay stop working for the Wii. This means the tools for hacking Pokemon games will be no longer be as accessible as they are now once Game Freak starts developing for the 3DS. If you want to hack you're going to have to jump though some hoops like the Wii hackers.

Last edited:

竜の子

Avy made by Trainer Touko
Years

I think you mean EVs? IVs are the ones that you have to breed to get.

Lillipup - 1 Atk
Herdier - 2 Atk
Watchog - 1 Atk

Yeah,I meant that,sorry for the misunderstanding.All attack,I guess it's time to mae my Tepig/Scraggy shine

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
Years
How many "Wing"s should I use at a time on a Pokemon per level? If I use a whole ton between one level up, will various stats still be boosted a lot, or will different feathers nullify each other to some point, and will using too many between one level up have no effect beyond a certain point?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
How many "Wing"s should I use at a time on a Pokemon per level? If I use a whole ton between one level up, will various stats still be boosted a lot, or will different feathers nullify each other to some point, and will using too many between one level up have no effect beyond a certain point?

You should probably read an EV guide to fully understand feathers. Each one adds 1 EV to the given stat, up to 255 EVs per stat and 510 EVs over an entire Pokemon. Check out a guide to get a much more in-depth understanding of EVs and different ways to raise them :)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
IS it better to train Emboar's Fire part with SpAtt or the FIght with Att?

Generally it's EVed for Attack, considering that it learns 3 Fire/Physical moves and only one Fighting/Special. Although it's not unheard of to have it EVed in both, I really don't think it's common to just train it in Special Attack because its Fighting side is very stinted in that way.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
IS it better to train Emboar's Fire part with SpAtt or the FIght with Att?

Its best stat and moves are with its physical Attack stat so you should EV train that. Pokemon aren't split into sides with one being better in one attack than the other - it's one whole Pokemon, and Emboar in particular likes to smash things with its physical moves rather than its special ones. :)

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
If you read this perchance, I just want to point out that Emboar is also formidable in the Special field regardless of what the two posters above have mentioned. While it's not as high as his bATK of 123, he does have 100 points in bSpA. That's a lot. He also has good coverage attacks in the Special field too--STAB isn't all that matters. Besides, your foe is expecting you to use Physical moves, so why not surprise them?

Emboar @ Life Orb
~ Blaze / Reckless
# Flare Blitz
# Superpower / Earthquake / Wild Charge
# Scald / Grass Knot
# Cheer Up

Cheer Up lets you break through stallers who want to wall you in a certain move. Running Scald means Jellicent completely walls you, though... And Grass Knot doesn't do that well against it either. However, the set is pretty solid as it goes. edit I've added Wild Charge on the off-chance you find that useful too.

Emboar @ Choice Specs
~ Blaze
# Overheat
# Scald
# Grass Knot
# Focus Blast

Probably needs some Trick Room support just for the SPE--bSPE 65 is pretty low. Using Specs allows you to incorporate all of Emboar's best Special attacks in one set. However, it's also pretty predictable (after the shock that you're actually using a Special Emboar wth).

Emboar @ Life Orb
~ Blaze / Reckless
# Overheat
# Wild Charge
# Head Smash
# Superpower

Kind of a mix of the above two. Trick Room, please.

Though, admittedly, Emboar does have more variety in the Physical field. Note the following two sets.

Emboar @ Choice Band / Life Orb
~ Reckless
# Flare Blitz
# Wild Charge
# Head Smash
# Earthquake

Wreck things with Reckless. Don't bother with Earthquake unless it hits 4x. You'll hit yourself back really, really hard so don't expect too many kills. Possibly run with Wish support.

Emboar @ Life Orb
~ Blaze
# Heat Stamp
# Curse
# Hammer Arm
# Gyro Ball

Minimize SPE IV and EVs / use Brave nature. Hammer Arm adds to Gyro Ball pain. Trick Room support, please.

LavanZev

Bringer of Orange Soda!
Years
Okay in white forest, its plum full of people. But I've only had one mission from the old guy in the shack since saturday. He's not giving me anymore and all the people keep on saying come back tomorrow. Does anybody no what the problem is? Plus oooh, anyone knows what nintendo is doing with this 24 hour update? New pokemon? ooh haha

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Have you been fiddling with your DS clock, or switching DS consoles? Don't do that.
Maybe we're getting Pokemon Cafe :P Though, probably not T~T

okjoek

Hoenn champ
Years
I'm not ready! where can I train?

I'm finaly at long last at the unova leage to become a pokemon master (I try to stay enthusiastic like I used to be) and I'm not sure I'm ready. I've faught every trainer I could possibly find throughou the ntire region. I cleaned up all routes including the dead end waterway near the starting town aswell as battle facilities such as thebattle company or whatever in castelia which braught me to a team of:

serperior level 50
simipour level 45
stoutland level 45
darmanitan level 43
swanna level 43
and fraxure level 47

Will pokemon of this level be able to win? I'm out of people I could find to fight and I find it unusual that there are still two towns and the white forrest they won't let me visit yet aswell as stopping team plasma before becoming the champion? I thaught you were supposed to finnish the storyline before becoming champion. in most pokemon games.

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years
I'm finaly at long last at the unova leage to become a pokemon master (I try to stay enthusiastic like I used to be) and I'm not sure I'm ready. I've faught every trainer I could possibly find throughou the ntire region. I cleaned up all routes including the dead end waterway near the starting town aswell as battle facilities such as thebattle company or whatever in castelia which braught me to a team of:

serperior level 50
simipour level 45
stoutland level 45
darmanitan level 43
swanna level 43
and fraxure level 47

Will pokemon of this level be able to win? I'm out of people I could find to fight and I find it unusual that there are still two towns and the white forrest they won't let me visit yet aswell as stopping team plasma before becoming the champion? I thaught you were supposed to finnish the storyline before becoming champion. in most pokemon games.

The Elite Four aren't that difficult, just go for it. Stock up on healing items like revives, full restores, moo moo milk, etc., and you'll be fine with pretty much any team. You don't become the champion in the main storyline, there is a much more interesting twist. Also, those two towns are for the postgame.

LavanZev

Bringer of Orange Soda!
Years
Have you been fiddling with your DS clock, or switching DS consoles? Don't do that.
Maybe we're getting Pokemon Cafe :P Though, probably not T~T
Will the clock go back to normal? Because you totally guessed what I was doing :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back