• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV You're Not Allowed to Watch That

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
What shows did your parents not let you watch as a kid? The only thing I remember saying I wasn't allowed to watch was The Amanda Show because my mom said "it was stupid." And Barney, I think, also because "it's for babies". But, nothing else really sticks out.

My parents never really had parental controls, anyway. So, they never really enacted upon that "not allowed" thing.

Years
I don't think everyone on this forum will know the show, but I wasn't' allowed to watch 'Little Britain' when I was a kid, which was a British comedy show when I was a lot younger. It's quite understandable though, the majority of it is adult humour haha, I can't really remember what else, but it seems weird not being allowed to watch certain things!

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I wasn't allowed to watch Beaves and Butthead yet I could watch Ren & Stimpy....lol.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I wasn't allowed to watch Star Wars until I was 9 and they finally put on The Empire Strikes Back for me while my 7 year old brother had to stand in the doorway and pout, where he couldn't see the screen.

It was a good call tbh, Star Wars V is a terrifying movie if it's the first one you watch and you don't really understand English lmao.

Years
I was a weird kid and often was interested in watching stuff like police procedural shows and shit that was definitely too old for me. I think that rule was let up before I hit ten though lol. The only other distinct thing I remember is watching Adult Swim at night when I couldn't sleep, being told I couldn't and then not having that enforced at all. I'm sure there was others but I can't remember them.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 16, 2023
If we're counting movies, Harry Potter... My parents thought it was "evil."

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
My parents never policed the content I watched on TV. I was a South Park connoisseur by the time I was ten and regularly watched horror, general adult themes, and Adult Swim when it came out at a young age. I dunno why but they just didn't really care much?? And all things considered I think I turned out to be a *somewhat* well adjusted human being, lol. The only thing my parents were iffy on was letting me watch The Exorcist before I turned 13 because they didn't want me to get the wrong impression on religion.

To be fair though, The Exorcist is one of my favorites nowadays. <3

TheRose

Youtube Lets Player/Twitch Streamer
Years
  • Age 34
  • NJ
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
i wasn't allowed to watch south park and beavis and butthead cuz they were aimed at an older audience. i found ways to watch them anyway.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
My mother had this weird rule where I could watch any adult show as long as she thought it was funny.

I was cut off from Family Guy, but King of the Hill and pretty much anything on Nick at Night was okay.

That said, most of them I didn't even think of as interesting. The George Lopez show was always on at night and I would use at as noise for sleeping.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
Just normal stuff. Like no horror movies, no rated R movies. Stuff like that. I don't recall them outright like refusing to let me watch any specific tv shows or anything.

pkmin3033

I was allowed to watch whatever I wanted as long as it didn't have an age rating higher than my actual age...so if I wanted to watch a movie rated 15, I could forget it. PG I could generally get away with as long as someone else was watching it with me. This didn't cause me very much anxiety tbh because I was more interested in cartoons and anime that aired during the daytime anyway, when I watched TV at all.

Nymphadora

Gift of the Nymphs
Years
My mom didn't want me watching Rugrats because she said Angelica was too mean. Also she hated Ren and Stimpy. But, I'd watch it anyway when she wasn't around. Lol

Back