• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fujitsu

Now with leather seats!
Years
I was wondering whether or not there was an efficient way to properly use the breakable fall-through ice tiles used in Icefall cave.

If you just place them on a map, they don't do anything, but if you have a mapscript activating "cmda6", the tiles animate, though they still fail to warp the player to anywhere. They seem to work without any events in Icefall Cave. Why don't these tiles work?

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
My point was the opposite, how do you react to pokemon that haven't been fully introduced, but put in a hack?

That's exactly how I react to them. Don't use them until we know what moves they learn, what stats they have, etc.

Uh, for the ice tiles, I think I have them all figured out. It's not the way Game Freak does it, but I have a way that works.

Level script with cmda6 0x04 to activate the changing of the tiles. For easy, this script is at 0x163D54. Use Level Script type 05 (On entering map/on menu close)
Then just place a warp on the tile to where you want to warp to.

It'll only warp if the tile it's on is allowed to warp (ie. doors, cave entrances, holes in the floor. And as such, your problem is solved. It's not the way Game Freak does it, but it works, so yeah.

Fujitsu

Now with leather seats!
Years
Then just place a warp on the tile to where you want to warp to.

It'll only warp if the tile it's on is allowed to warp (ie. doors, cave entrances, holes in the floor. And as such, your problem is solved. It's not the way Game Freak does it, but it works, so yeah.

I had assumed that you weren't supposed to use warps, due to the fact that Game Freak didn't, and as such I didn't. Thanks for the heads up.

King Koopa

The Dark Spriter >>>>
Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2012
can someone help me ADD pokemon D/P pokemon into a emerald 386 rom? thanks

vietazn654

A sound soul dwells within me
Years
can someone help me ADD pokemon D/P pokemon into a emerald 386 rom? thanks
I know it's not impossible but I think the safest way is to just replace Pokemon. And, wouldn't this rather go in the Simple Questions thread? But yeah, you should just replace.

King Koopa

The Dark Spriter >>>>
Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2012
I know it's not impossible but I think the safest way is to just replace Pokemon. And, wouldn't this rather go in the Simple Questions thread? But yeah, you should just replace.

okay then could you help me replace them cuz i read every thing and unlz gba does not work

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I'd like to start a new topic:
Why are there a lot of FireRed hacks that uses the Emerald grass, the Emerald green path tiles, and Emerald flowers? Not saying it's a bad thing, but it's as if you guys all have some secret rom base floating around, hehe.

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
That is a good assumption, but I think it's just because it looks good in a FireRed Rom hack, especially with FireRed trees and other tiles combined to give a simple look and feel. Heck, I sure love it in some hacks.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Just wondering what you guys think is the right point to start a thread with a hack?
Well, I think it should have a good amount of progress. Especially because what if you quit a week later? That doesn't sounds good, so I suggest that you have amounts of progress so you won't quit. A beta would be nice also. =P Since they removed the Scrapbox, I guess posting a storyline will go in that storyline thread if you want to get ideas and stuff.

sean777

Poke veteren since red version
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
Hey all i just wanted to start a new topic if everyone listed what they think are the top 3 hacks theyv played for me its
Ash grey
Rijon adventures
Toxic purple

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Pokemon the tempest
pokemon ruby destiny reign of legends
----------
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz312/countryemo/frlgtorbg.png?t=1281909459
Heres a tile project i was doing, well the path i copied, but i should devamp paths to.
anyone else think this is a cool idea for a rom base? You get all the great feeling
of the past in well you get the point. Helpers? lol.
/sorry if cant be disscused/
Also do a devamp using gsc colors? prolbally wont be the same but eh just a extra idea

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I'm just wondering, but why does everybody think that the graphics of R/S/E are really bad? IMO, they look just fine.

I'm asking because:
*A lot of people have said that they hack FireRed purely because of graphics
*There's a lot of R/S/E hacks that change the OWs to FR/LG ones (I'm guilty of that lol)
*There is not a single FR/LG hack that changes the OWs to R/S/E ones, even though the opposite occurs pretty often

IMO, R/S/E has more realistic graphics. In FR/LG, everything looks cartoony, while in R/S/E, everything seemed more "serious".

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I'm just wondering, but why does everybody think that the graphics of R/S/E are really bad? IMO, they look just fine.

I'm asking because:
*A lot of people have said that they hack FireRed purely because of graphics
*There's a lot of R/S/E hacks that change the OWs to FR/LG ones (I'm guilty of that lol)

IMO, R/S/E has more realistic graphics. In FR/LG, everything looks cartoony, while in R/S/E, everything seemed more "serious".

Depends on what you mean by "graphics". I like a lot of the tiles, like the houses and the paths. However, I can't stand the trees in both Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

As for sprites, I think that you already mentioned the issue. FR/LG sprites look more cartoony and thus are more appealing. I personally think that they're softer on the eyes and more enjoyable to look at.

Also, in response to "a lot of people have said that they hack FireRed purely because of graphics", I'll give you my typical response: the graphics can be hacked adequately and equally in both FR/LG and R/S/E. You could hack one to look virtually identical to the other. However, if one is closer to the hacker's desired style, then they're more likely to choose that one since it would require less work. And seeing how FR/LG are more generally appealing (to me, at least), more people are going to hack those games. It's just easier and to a lot of "hackers," that's what matters most.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Depends on what you mean by "graphics". I like a lot of the tiles, like the houses and the paths. However, I can't stand the trees in both Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

As for sprites, I think that you already mentioned the issue. FR/LG sprites look more cartoony and thus are more appealing. I personally think that they're softer on the eyes and more enjoyable to look at.

Also, in response to "a lot of people have said that they hack FireRed purely because of graphics", I'll give you my typical response: the graphics can be hacked adequately and equally in both FR/LG and R/S/E. You could hack one to look virtually identical to the other. However, if one is closer to the hacker's desired style, then they're more likely to choose that one since it would require less work. And seeing how FR/LG are more generally appealing (to me, at least), more people are going to hack those games. It's just easier and to a lot of "hackers," that's what matters most.

What I meant by "cartoony" is the tiles, OWs, not battles. In fact, I like the FR/LG battle sprites better actually, but I was talking about the overworld.

Also I think it's interesting how a lot of R/S/E hacks change the OWs to FR/LG ones, while there isn't a single FR/LG hack that changes that OWs to R/S/E ones.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Also I think it's interesting how a lot of R/S/E hacks change the OWs to FR/LG ones, while there isn't a single FR/LG hack that changes that OWs to R/S/E ones.
Well..if people want to change the R/S/E overworlds to FR/LG ones, in which case, it means that they don't want to keep the R/S/E overworlds, because they're comparatively less appealing to the eye, then why would anyone want to change the FR/LG overworlds to R/S/E?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
What I meant by "cartoony" is the tiles, OWs, not battles. In fact, I like the FR/LG battle sprites better actually, but I was talking about the overworld.

Haha, that's what I meant, too. I was talking about OWs.

Hm, that is a very interesting observation. And if correlation implies causation, then I guess it supports my theory that FR/LG-styled sprites are more appealing. Though if it's any consolation, I'm not planning on changing the OWs in my Emerald hack to FR/LG-styled ones. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back